Studs and duds vs Vikings

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud - Lafleur

Masterful game plan and play calling. Kept the queens defense off balance and took advantage of the youth, especially in the secondary. Not sure how much he’s to blame for the continuing problem with the play clock, but we need to get this straightened out.

Dud - Pettine

I can understand the defense losing focus when they are barely on the field the 1st three quarters and are up by three scores, but the coach can help keep their heads in the game by continuing to attack.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
5 TDs in the fourth quarter. I am sure both defenses were gassed by then with no preseason acclimation. Even with the ToP dominated by the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Studs-
Crosby was money

That's a huge exaggeration.

By the way, I think I saw Galeai in for a couple snaps on defense. Didn't see Burks. Maybe I missed him. I'll be interested to see the snap counts. Also Gary's snap count--better than his 20% last year. 4 pretty decent plays on his part in that mix.

Here's the snap count for the players you mentioned:

Gary 32 (62%)
Galeai 9
Burks 3

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Rodgers
...second year with MLF, little chip on his shoulder again....watch out NFL - that baaaaad man appears to be back.
OL Group....to get decimated with injuries, yet come away with no penalties and no sacks allowed....folks this group deserves a nice long slow clap of applause. Bravo...bravo....now go do whatever witchcraft you must to get everyone back healthy.
Williams...I'm a sucker for blitz pick ups and on this alone Williams is proving why Dillon has a challenge in front of him to steal snaps. Not too mention 3 first down runs out of him.
MVS...games like this from him and Lazard continue to happen Gute will be able to throw a proverbial "middle finger" at most of us and the media about them not getting Rodgers more. His route running HAD TO HAVE been an off season focus, dare I say his route got him open multiple times where his feet speed was usually the only thing that used to do it. His frame use while ball is in the air at times reminds me of Nelson which is a massive overstatement, but keep working young man. Shaking off his drop blunders and coming back with more catches is great sign.

Duds:
Prevent Defense
- hate it...but first game the defense is better than this first game showed.
Savage....slow down young man. Your raw skills are there...but his instincts right now seem to be "hectic" by appearance.
RZ Offense - Clearly struggled....but to be that bad and still put up 43 week 1...yes please.
Believing this:
Dude:
Jamal Williams
^^^---all in good fun brother :)

Promising Signs:

Runyon - Had a few moments you'd expect from a rookie, but like many of us predicted pre-draft and after, this young man has it. Great sign of his contributions game 1 when called upon.
Krys Barnes - My 1 of 2 UDFAs I predicted to make cut, got out there due to injuries and such. Baptism by fire, but absorbed and took up blocks well in his role, had some good and some bad. Well done young man, this is his shot with Kamal down and Burks not proving he can do it.
Deguara - Statline watches will miss a lot of the good things he did. His after the catch (by teammates) actions are a coach's dream. The one blunder side stepping was his only glaring mistake IMO...great sign early.
Dillon - As we all (well most logical folks) expected limited snaps, and almost too limited to take away anything - but he produced when asked albeit limited. Good stuff.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
now if you said ervin reminds you of a james white Id be right w u
Actually, Jamaal Williams and his role in our offense reminds me of James White’s role in New England. Brady would not have been a happy camper had Belichick ever released him. Some guys provide value that far exceeds Sunday’s stat sheet.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition to all those mentioned above, I'm going to give some love to Adam Stenavich. No Billy Turner, lose Lane Taylor and Lucas Patrick, and yet Aaron Rodgers wasn't touched and the running game clicked for 158 yards. That's overcoming adversity.

MLF's game plan was solid as well, and now he is 3-0 over Mike Zimmer. We're seeing Green Bay run plays that Mike McCarthy apparently never new existed, and it's catching out opposition off-guard.

And obviously, Aaron Rodgers "in decline" and "without weapons", continues to make throws that most NFL quarterbacks can only dream about. Green Bay's first touchdown of the season was such a throw....That may end up on the highlight reel for his induction ceremony into Canton.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Credit to LaFleur for finally helping the Packers with their end around game. Under McCarthy those were guaranteed 5-yard losses.

Credit to Deguara for his catches, I didn't think he'd get in the game. Same with AJ Dillon for cracking Kendricks. I figured he'd get a goal line carry or two, but not yet. Jones is still that guy for now.

The secondary needs to put some respect on Thielen's name, can't let him run free.

Edit: Obviously credit to Rodgers, MVS, Lazard, Adams, Jaire, Z too.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This is the most comfortable and dialed in I've seen Rodgers since 2017 pre-collarbone.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then don't let Thielen beat you over the top, Johnson catching a 20 yarder down to the 3, and then in the short field Cook walking into the end zone, another 2 pt. EP, and the Vikings are back in the game. All in all, the defense to took a step back today.

That’s exactly my point. We take big leads and stop doing what’s working. No lead is ever safe with our D.
Stud: Jordan Love. I'm so glad that the Packers decided to move on from Aaron Rodgers and turn the franchise over to this kid. What a performance.

Oh wait...

Patrick Queen sure looked good in the middle of that Ravens D. 8 tackles/1 sack/1 forced fumble. We missed out on a game changer.

H

HardRightEdge

That’s exactly my point. We take big leads and stop doing what’s working. No lead is ever safe with our D.

Patrick Queen sure looked good in the middle of that Ravens D. 8 tackles/1 sack/1 forced fumble. We missed out on a game changer.
Queen my first choice amidst all the WR hoopla. Of course one game does not a career make.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Queen my first choice amidst all the WR hoopla. Of course one game does not a career make.

True but the kid has all the tools and I have no doubt that he will Be a stud in the league.

PS looks like Jamaal Williams is already paying dividends I really am hoping that Dillon gets a larger role sooner than later but it is nice to have Williams until he’s ready. I also love the way we used Ervin. We have a nice stable with different skill sets.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I didn't go through everyone's, but if nobody said it:

STUDS: Viking's play calls on offense: Trying to keep up with the Packers early by putting the ball in Cousins hands. If I am an offensive coordinator and have a decent running game, I am going to run, run, run at the Packers defense, until they can prove that they can stop it.

Vikings: 22 Carries, 134 yds. 6.1 yd/carry

The Vikings did have some success in the air, but that was mostly in the 4th Q during garbage time.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys such as Rogers and Adams are obvious answers, but for me it's the offensive line. With all the adversity they faced coming into the game and during the game, they were dominant in both the run and pass games. Tremendous job.
Still have issues with Pettine and the defense. A lot of issues there.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no evidence to support your claim. Since the 2014 NFCCG at Seattle the Packers haven't lost a single game in which they led by more than a score at any point in the second half.

Krys Barnes had six tackles (two for a loss) while playing only 15 snaps. I don't expect him to end up performing at the same level as Queen but the Packers might have found a gem in him.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't go through everyone's, but if nobody said it:

STUDS: Viking's play calls on offense: Trying to keep up with the Packers early by putting the ball in Cousins hands. If I am an offensive coordinator and have a decent running game, I am going to run, run, run at the Packers defense, until they can prove that they can stop it.

Vikings: 22 Carries, 134 yds. 6.1 yd/carry

The Vikings did have some success in the air, but that was mostly in the 4th Q during garbage time.

It was puzzling why they didn't ram it down our throats after Kenny Clark left the game when they have a stud like Cook.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was puzzling why they didn't ram it down our throats after Kenny Clark left the game when they have a stud like Cook.

I wondered that myself...Especially in the third quarter, down by just 12 at the time. I imagine Gary Kubiak had some explaining to do after the game.

Detroit's strength is the running game, so they may actually be a tougher team to beat for the Packers than the Vikings are. They were last year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Offense
Duds: Defense
I think the jury is still out on the D. The Vikes put up a lot of points in garbage time with the D in prevent, although that's not much of an excuse. Prevent means just what it says, prevent scoring. Hard to measure how well they did against Cook with the Vikes having to go to the air in the 2H. Z Smith looks the same, thankfully. I wasn't impressed or unimpressed with Kirksey. Time will tell. I don't think the final score is indicative of how thoroughly the Pack beat the Queens. That said, the win belongs to the O.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they moved away from Cook and threw more because of the early lead by the Pack.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like Queen a lot. Think he'll be good.

With that said, Kendricks from MN played a hell of a game. He's a very good ILB. Even with him playing excellent, that defense still have up 40+. So how valuable is a good ILB?

If Jordan Love hits, he will win a lot of games. If Queen hits, how many games does he win?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Fat Dogs, post: 881801, member: 12450"

I like Queen a lot. Think he'll be good.

With that said, Kendricks from MN played a hell of a game. He's a very good ILB. Even with him playing excellent, that defense still have up 40+. So how valuable is a good ILB?

If Jordan Love hits, he will win a lot of games. If Queen hits, how many games does he win?[/QUOTE]
Queen was the guy I was hoping Gluten would take. We know how that worked out. We won't know if the move on Love was a boom, bust, or meh for a few years. Rodgers certainly doesn't look anywhere near retirement, or a trade. I still think Love was a wasted pick, but the past is the past.

H

HardRightEdge

A good ILB is pretty valuable. More valuable that a QB sitting 3rd. string on the bench maybe forever. Kendricks is another guy I had down as my favorite in Round 1 over Randall, a guy who should have never been playing CB. Kendricks was pretty rough in his rookie year but got better and better.

Members online

Latest posts