Studs and duds Ram game

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Pretty decent article on the review process:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/01/nfl-instant-replay-review-changes-mailbag

But they are still going to mess up some calls for whatever reasons and I think most of those turn out to be judgement calls and not wanting to "over turn" the initial call. That part of it to me needs to just be tossed out the window. Look at any review with impartial fresh eyes......"how should it be called now that you have slow motion and all the angles to get it correct".

H

HardRightEdge

Pretty decent article on the review process:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/01/nfl-instant-replay-review-changes-mailbag

But they are still going to mess up some calls for whatever reasons and I think most of those turn out to be judgement calls and not wanting to "over turn" the initial call. That part of it to me needs to just be tossed out the window. Look at any review with impartial fresh eyes......"how should it be called now that you have slow motion and all the angles to get it correct".
That article states the following:

"Blandino and Riveron will be able to tell the refs when a replay is obvious—either right or wrong—and so when the ref gets under the hood he won’t have to waste time looking at every angle of an obvious call."

That's not what the rules say, or it's at least meaningfully misleading.

The on-field referee is the arbiter of "indisputable visual evidence". While Blandino and Riveron can tell the ref "when a replay is obvious", the referee, at his discretion, can disagree. The referee's eye test is the final arbiter.

H

HardRightEdge

Wasn't it R Rodgers who committed the penalty on the FG? And on the fake punt, it looked to me like he had coverage but fell down.
It was Goodson who fell down. In fact, mere seconds prior to the punt there was a shot of R. Rodgers sitting down on the bench...he wasn't even on the field.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm looking at the coaches tape, and you are correct. Goodson was covering the receiver and fell down.
Actually I posted it looked to me like he had good coverage but fell down in response to this post:
Duds-Special Teams (esp. Goodson)-gave up a fake punt that everyone watching knew was coming. Committed penalty on FG attempt and gave back 3 points.
I guess JK64 thinks he fell down on purpose.

BTW, he also thought it was Goodson who committed the penalty on the FG attempt instead of R Rodgers.

H

HardRightEdge

Actually I posted it looked to me like he had good coverage but fell down in response to this post: I guess JK64 thinks he fell down on purpose.

BTW, he also thought it was Goodson who committed the penalty on the FG attempt instead of R Rodgers.
Yes, JK64 was wrong about Goodson committing the penalty. I don't see anything to indicate he thought Goodson fell down on purpose.

Goodson committed a physical error and he deserves a minus for it in the same way a receiver commits a physical error when he drops a ball right on his hands. The receiver didn't do it on purpose, but he's surely minus on the play.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Goodson committed a physical error and he deserves a minus for it in the same way a receiver commits a physical error when he drops a ball right on his hands.
I disagree: IMO slipping and falling is not the same as the lack of concentration which is usually the cause of a receiver dropping a
catchable ball. If you ever played football did you constantly concentrate on not slipping?

JK64 rated Goodson a dud for something he didn't do and for losing his footing. IMO he is wrong on both counts and the later is hardly a "terrible" play.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree: IMO slipping and falling is not the same as the lack of concentration which is usually the cause of a receiver dropping a
catchable ball. If you ever played football did you constantly concentrate on not slipping?

JK64 rated Goodson a dud for something he didn't do and for losing his footing. IMO he is wrong on both counts and the later is hardly a "terrible" play.

With all due respect, how is falling down good coverage? He was probably turned around, faked out and he fell.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't it R Rodgers who committed the penalty on the FG? And on the fake punt, it looked to me like he had coverage but fell down.

I know it was Rodgers on the penalty. I just didn't write it that way, brain fart for sure. Sorry.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think anybody is going to argue that falling down was "good". the good i take away from the play was, we recognized it and reacted, initially pretty well. Then the bad comes in and Goodson fell and and they were able to complete a pass and prayer. I haven't watched a replay, but my initial impression was Goodson was caught paying too much attention for just a brief moment to what was happening in the backfield which allowed for some separation and his attempt at adjusting and then falling. But I could be wrong.

It's a notable improvement over being caught with our pants down wondering what the heck just happened, but I would like to see it all cleaned up for future occurrences that's for sure.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

He is not "wrong". Wrong is 2+2=5. Within the context of these threads, Studs and Duds ratings are generally accepted to be "subjective" and based upon personal opinion.

Now, you may disagree with his rating. But, I do not in this case.

In my book, a corner back needs to pay attention to their footing and traction. If they fail to cover their man for any reason, they failed to do their job on that play.

I have Goodson as a dud.

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, I played some football. Dropping a football might be a failure of concentration. It can also be a physical error such as when STL's Quick jumped for that sideline ball when there was no reason to do so and the ball went over his hands and into his facemask. Physical errors can be a one-off with otherwise outstanding players; they can plague poor players who lack sufficient physical talent.

A guy falls down without being hit on a clean playing surface where nobody else has been falling down. It's a physical error and a poor play. "Terrible" might be overstating the case, but it's a lot closer to right than giving the guy a free pass.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He is not "wrong". Wrong is 2+2=5. Within the context of these threads, Studs and Duds ratings are generally accepted to be "subjective" and based upon personal opinion. Now, you may disagree with his rating. But, I do not in this case.
In my subjective opinion his opinion is wrong.
i don't think anybody is going to argue that falling down was "good". the good i take away from the play was, we recognized it and reacted, initially pretty well.
Well said, and that's why it's not Dud-worthy or terrible IMO.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol I remember in the Newhouse debut he had an ok outing against the Saints? I think and Mark Schlareth said Newhouse would be a star in this league because he could play guard and tackle. You were spot on with that one Mark smh .

Reaction score
The front sets up the back..
Studs: Daniels, Clay, Guion, Peppers for being disruptive ; Rollins for having a rookie breakout performance
Duds: Our Offensive line's lack of run blocking and Richard for simultaneously taking points off the board and delaying Crosby's record FG

Members online

Latest posts