Studs and Duds Lion game

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Studs and Duds have been pretty well taken care of but I gotta say I’m amazed a Packers fan could watch that game and say Rodgers was only one worthy of stud status. And how McCarthy could be a dud for one failed drive is surprising too.

Here’s a ‘maybe’ stud: James Campen. For all the crap he’s received from Packers fans, he should receive some praise for how the OL is playing now. On McCarthy’s TV show he said he and Campen got together on the plane ride to Tampa to begin to scheme for the Lions game and continued on the ride home. He said that’s unusual but they knew the Lions game would be crucial. It’s only a maybe stud because just as when the OL wasn’t doing well, I still don’t know how much praise or criticism should be leveled at Campen.

Not a stud by my favorite call of the game, Joe Buck on the Packers first offensive play: “… here’s Lacy… second year pro has a first down and a good start as he carries the city of Detroit for a gain of 22.” BTW, the Packers first play on offense gained more than any play they ran at Detroit. I agree – I don’t like the constant negative vibe of a few Packers fans. My guess is it’s somewhat of a defense mechanism – if your expectations are low it doesn’t hurt so much when the team loses. But I don’t like it anyway. I also don’t like your disrespect of opponents who have earned - or should have earned - the respect of Packers fans attempting to be just moderately objective. So IMO you’re at the other end of the spectrum and are just as ridiculous.

To each his own and to say moderately objective in terms of respecting "opponents" I believe to be incorrect as this is an ongoing subject that comes up regarding one particular opponent. Not "opponents". And you know what? BFD.

See, I am going to go into that stadium that I said I never would again after what happened Sept. 24th 2012 and I am going to watch our offensive line that you said "I was being way to optimistic about" open up holes for Lacy and protect Rodgers and I am going to watch our "53 man roster that you said I was crazy for touting so much" get it done among all the other things that I could on and on about at the beginning of the season that you said I was wrong about.

If I am moderately objectively wrong when disrespecting opponents that have earned respect then I can't even put into words how wrong you were and are when it came to your evaluation of our team at the beginning of the year. I have my reasons and I believe them to be warranted to dislike and disrespect a certain team as I don't just go off and randomly disrespect every team or player in the NFL. I think this is far different then playing "Debbie Downer" about every player and coach from time to time in our entire organization.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Dud, but funny and completely entertaining; Stafford's version of a "Soccer Dive" when Jones' hand brushed his facemask. You would have thought the way Stafford held his jaw and reacted, that Jones had punched right through the polycarbonate helmet with a haymaker. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
A nit that could be picked (in keeping with "studs and duds" standard practice ;)) would be that Cobb had a 34 yard reception. It was a short crosser where he ran away from some guys and then turned it up the sidelines if memory serves.
Cobb had that reception at Detroit?

H

HardRightEdge

Cobb had that reception at Detroit?
I see now. When you said any play they "ran at Detroit" I thought you meant executed against Detroit in this last game, not literally in the city of Detroit. I should have guessed you would not use such an inartful expression. ;)

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I see now. When you said any play they "ran at Detroit" I thought you meant executed against Detroit in this last game, not literally in the city of Detroit. I should have guessed you would not use such an inartful expression. ;)
My, we are quite the English Major.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
1) Aaron Rodgers...just a competitor. Has the will and the talent.
2) Hyde...gave us momentum right back after not being able to punch the ball in on the first drive.
3) Clay Matthews: He's been a beast the last couple of weeks
4) Lacy: Only 100 yard rusher against Detroit
5) Offensive line: for allowing Rodgers enough time in the pocket and pushing up front for Lacy

Duds:
1) Mason Crosby: A mediocre at best kicker. People still some how love this guy. Amazing. He's not horrible, but he isn't good by any means. If he was on the Patriots/Colts/Broncos/etc. he'd be cut. 3 missed extra points (2 blocked), and only an 81% Field Goal %. 3 blocks I believe? He kicks the ball so low, every time. And long field goals isn't an excuse. He had at least one blocked inside 40 yards and two extra points. Why would someone kick so low. His mechanics aren't good. The Packers are extremely fortunate this crap hasn't called the Packers a game. I honestly hold my breath on every extra point this guy kicks in a close game. A block on a short field goal or an extra point in the playoffs can be good game.
2) Special teams linemen: By all means they don't help Crosby a whole lot, it isn't all on Crosby, but a combination of both. No adjustments made by either.
3) Brad Jones: this guy doesn't know the rules, so he shouldn't play. Gave 7 points and some extra momentum.
4) Suh: What a dirty player.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Because this was a home game against a Lions team that is suspect at best. If we have to go into Seattle, there's little wiggle room for bad play calling where touch downs are an absolute must when you have the ball at the 1 yard line. In my opinion (and you have every right to disagree) it was just a bad decision not to give the ball to Lacy on those early downs. Does it guarantee that he would get in? No, but the percentages suggest that he's likely going to, and THEN on 4th down if you haven't been able to run it in, you let Rodgers do his thing.

That formula shouldn't be rocket science, and I think this was one of those situations where McCarthy simply was trying to do too much and not keep it simple. In the playoffs you absolutely need to take advantage of those situations where you're on the goal line.
Refresh my memory banks but didn't they try this scenario at Buffalo and it also failed?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they lose when they don't execute. Last time we should have passed more, why did we run lacy? Detroit is stout against the run. This time, we ran it and ran it very well. Did we have a different team? or did they just execute better?

For those that don't know, Ted Thompson knows how to find talent better than most. Mike McCarthy actually knows how to lead an NFL football team and Dom Capers can coach a defense. They all can do it better than anyone on here, even in a loss.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs-obviously Rodgers, the O line, CM3 and Eddie. I know he fumbled but you have to love his effort. He gives it his all that's all you can ask.
Duds- Brad Jones, special teams and Kuhn running the ball.
When you have Lacy, Starks and Harris why on earth would you give Kuhn the ball especially at the goal line. In some sets Kuhn can still block. I would rather see him used to his strengths.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Kuhn getting the ball at times is fine. It sets up other things. If all you do is block, it's makes the defensive keys easier. and maybe they were keying on something else and the coordinators noticed it and thought it would be good to give Kuhn the ball and they didn't execute as well as they should have. Maybe it's setting something up on film for a game down the road? Anyway, it's not like he didn't gain any yards yesterday, he had a couple nice runs

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
1) Aaron Rodgers...just a competitor. Has the will and the talent.
2) Hyde...gave us momentum right back after not being able to punch the ball in on the first drive.
3) Clay Matthews: He's been a beast the last couple of weeks
4) Lacy: Only 100 yard rusher against Detroit
5) Offensive line: for allowing Rodgers enough time in the pocket and pushing up front for Lacy

Duds:
1) Mason Crosby: A mediocre at best kicker. People still some how love this guy. Amazing. He's not horrible, but he isn't good by any means. If he was on the Patriots/Colts/Broncos/etc. he'd be cut. 3 missed extra points (2 blocked), and only an 81% Field Goal %. 3 blocks I believe? He kicks the ball so low, every time. And long field goals isn't an excuse. He had at least one blocked inside 40 yards and two extra points. Why would someone kick so low. His mechanics aren't good. The Packers are extremely fortunate this crap hasn't called the Packers a game. I honestly hold my breath on every extra point this guy kicks in a close game. A block on a short field goal or an extra point in the playoffs can be good game.
2) Special teams linemen: By all means they don't help Crosby a whole lot, it isn't all on Crosby, but a combination of both. No adjustments made by either.
3) Brad Jones: this guy doesn't know the rules, so he shouldn't play. Gave 7 points and some extra momentum.
4) Suh: What a dirty player.

Watched that FG again. The ball was blocked right away in the backfield before it is even possible to tell if it was a low kick. Qaurless and Tretter let a guy go right in between them. That block was not on Crosby.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watched that FG again. The ball was blocked right away in the backfield before it is even possible to tell if it was a low kick. Qaurless and Tretter let a guy go right in between them. That block was not on Crosby.

It was a low kick, Crosby said himself.

Also, remember Crosby in 2012...missed the 51 yarder on the carpet in Indianapolis. It is amazing how people trust him. I don't and Mike McCarthy doesn't.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I went back and looked at the first 10 or so plays from week 1. They played some 6, some modified 6 (call it 6.5) with Chancellor up but a couple steps deeper than the LBs, and as you say some 7 with Chancellor on the line over the TE. I wouldn't consider press coverage against the slot to be "in the box", which they seem to like.

If they want to crowd the box, then the newly rediscovered West Coast routes should get some traction.

I think your right about this West Coast style game plan. I went back and watched the Seahawks vs Giants and the Giants moved the ball on them and they run the west coast offense. They had receivers open but of course the problem was Eli was erratic at times, they have a limited running game, and it's well known about there OL issues. The only real piece they have in place is Odell Beckham with Cruz out. Still, they were able to have some very good success moving the ball on that Seahawks defense. Elie threw for almost 300 yards.

It looks like MM is really on to something here.

D

Deleted member 6794

Studs-obviously Rodgers, the O line, CM3 and Eddie. I know he fumbled but you have to love his effort. He gives it his all that's all you can ask.
Duds- Brad Jones, special teams and Kuhn running the ball.
When you have Lacy, Starks and Harris why on earth would you give Kuhn the ball especially at the goal line. In some sets Kuhn can still block. I would rather see him used to his strengths.

I´m fine with Kuhn getting the ball from time to time, he did a fine job vs. the Buccaneers. Harris wasn´t active vs. the Lions as Tolzien was on the 46 for the first time this season.

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
they lose when they don't execute. Last time we should have passed more, why did we run lacy? Detroit is stout against the run. This time, we ran it and ran it very well. Did we have a different team? or did they just execute better?

I don't want to take anything away from Lacy or the Packers o-line, because they are indeed a big part of Green Bay's success. But part of the difference between week 3 and this past Sunday was not having Fairley in there. He can be a lazy sack of crap when not motivated, but it's a contract year and he was playing great. Losing him hurt the Lions defense more than most people realize, and more than most Lions fans want to admit. It was the combo of Suh and Fairley that caused them to do so well the first half of the season. That reputation built while Fairley was in there made teams shy away from the run. Green Bay did not, and you can see the result.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't want to take anything away from Lacy or the Packers o-line, because they are indeed a big part of Green Bay's success. But part of the difference between week 3 and this past Sunday was not having Fairley in there. He can be a lazy sack of crap when not motivated, but it's a contract year and he was playing great. Losing him hurt the Lions defense more than most people realize, and more than most Lions fans want to admit. It was the combo of Suh and Fairley that caused them to do so well the first half of the season. That reputation built while Fairley was in there made teams shy away from the run. Green Bay did not, and you can see the result.

I agree that losing Fairley hurt the Lions but even after he got injured in week 8 Detroit´s run defense was still dominant. Lacy´s average yards per carry wasn´t great but it was important that McCarthy continued to run the ball and the Packers had success doing it.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score

Well, you can say we won because your team didn't have this or didn't have that. But you had Stafford and he stunk up the place along with some help from your receivers.

Dallas is gonna wipe the field with the Lions writhing carcasses.

Other than that, I'm doin' good. How bout' you?

MichiganSportsTalk

Reaction score
I agree that losing Fairley hurt the Lions but even after he got injured in week 8 Detroit´s run defense was still dominant. Lacy´s average yards per carry wasn´t great but it was important that McCarthy continued to run the ball and the Packers had success doing it.

The 7 teams they played between the Falcons and this past Sunday are averaging 97.9 yards per game and are ranked an average of 22nd.

The Lions seemed good against the run in those games because those teams knew running wasn't there strength, so they threw it more. In those 7 games, opponents averaged 18 run plays to 41 pass plays. Not one of those teams ran more than they passed.

Green Bay has a good o-line and backs, and ran 38 times to 23 passes. Run until Detroit adjusts, exploit the adjustment with Cobb/Nelson, lather, rinse, repeat.

Talk about blueprints, all Dallas has to do is what they have done all year and they should be able to win. If Suh's suspension is upheld, then I may not even watch the game, because it will be over by halftime.

MichiganSportsTalk

Reaction score
Well, you can say we won because your team didn't have this or didn't have that. But you had Stafford and he stunk up the place along with some help from your receivers.

Dallas is gonna wipe the field with the Lions writhing carcasses.

Other than that, I'm doin' good. How bout' you?

Wow. That seems a little more aggressive than necessary.

I wasn't making excuses for why the Lions lost, I was answering a specific question asked regarding the Packers success in running the ball this game when they didn't last game. The Packers have an improved o-line and good backs, Detroit was missing a player they had last time. A reason is not the same as an excuse.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Wow. That seems a little more aggressive than necessary.

You're right. It was a bit over the top.

It's just that we've seen the same thuggish behaviour from the Lions over the years.

I'm supposed to get riled up when the Pack plays the Bears. Frankly that rivalry is passe' to me. Maybe it's because I have or used to have very strong ties to Chicagoland.

It's the Lions that get me going.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris wasn´t active vs. the Lions as Tolzien was on the 46 for the first time this season.
Wow, didn't notice this on Sunday. A game where the plan was to run until Detroit stopped them and they only had 3 RB's active (Lacy, Starks & Kuhn)? AR's calf going into the game must've been worse than anyone let on to have Tolzien on the sidelines.

Now they're saying it's a 6-8 week injury (to fully heal)... so AR's going to be gimpy at best for the next 2-5 weeks.:eek:

MichiganSportsTalk

Reaction score
I'm supposed to get riled up when the Pack plays the Bears. Frankly that rivalry is passe' to me. Maybe it's because I have or used to have very strong ties to Chicagoland.

It's the Lions that get me going.

Possibly it's because the Bears are on a slide, and the Lions are on an upswing. Most rivalries stem from heated competition, not one sided butt kickings.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wow, didn't notice this on Sunday. A game where the plan was to run until Detroit stopped them and they only had 3 RB's active (Lacy, Starks & Kuhn)? AR's calf going into the game must've been worse than anyone let on to have Tolzien on the sidelines.

That was my initial thought as well. It seems like the concern was being warranted, let´s hope he´ll be close to 100% in two weeks.