Studs and Duds Lion game

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Packers ran well against 6 in the box against Buffalo, Tampa and Detroit. The problem against Buffalo was the run was not used enough. So, yeah, that should be repeatable in the NFC Championship game, provided McCarthy sticks with it.

Seattle will go as far as 8 in the box and dare you to throw. Might be a little frustrating trying to establish the run against a defense that stacked up to stop the run. They have been getting away with this because they have been playing teams that are poor throwing teams with a collected group of back up QB's along with Kaepernick. It will be interesting to see how they play us in that potential match up.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I get really ticked off when we as fans, turn on one of our own for ONE mistake. Brad Jones made a mistake hitting Stafford by accident when charging him down, TRYING to do his damn job. He redeemed himself later in the game. Sometimes, I swear this is an Eagles forum :rolleyes:. We`ve just won the divisional championship AGAIN !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Super Stud: The entire team. Great effort on both sides of the ball. But especially Rodgers for getting it done with a limp and Lacy for some smash mouth running against the league's best run D.

Duds: None really stands out. That roughing call on Jones was huge but we bounced back.

I really hope the league revisits Suh's intentionally stepping on Rodgers leg. I really hope they say, "enough is enough. It's a recurring theme with this player and this team. We're coming down hard this time."

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
Matt Stafford was a stud for the Packers and a dud for his own team. I don't have the count on how many throws he missed but it saved the Packer defense's butt more than a few times. He had 21 incompetions, one more than completions, and threw only 3 more passes than Rodgers even with ARod out for the beginning of the second half.

41 passes to 23 carries. I blame Lombardi for asking him to throw it that much.

Bell was averaging 4.6 YPC, and for some dumb reason, Lombardi abandoned the run altogether in the 3rd quarter. Then he tried replacing Bell (who had nothing wrong with him) with Bush (who has been a bust all year) and when that didn't work AT ALL, he brought a cold Bell back into the game.

The Packers out-coached the Lions by leaps and bounds. Stafford didn't have his worst or best game, but it has gotten really old to watch Lombardi put games solely on his back. Rarely ever works out against good teams.

H

HardRightEdge

I went back and looked at the first 10 or so plays from week 1. They played some 6, some modified 6 (call it 6.5) with Chancellor up but a couple steps deeper than the LBs, and as you say some 7 with Chancellor on the line over the TE. I wouldn't consider press coverage against the slot to be "in the box", which they seem to like.

If they want to crowd the box, then the newly rediscovered West Coast routes should get some traction.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
How can it not be Rogers? The only dud was not doubling on Johnson for his two TD catches. You KNOW Stafford would be looking for him.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get really ticked off when we as fans, turn on one of our own for ONE mistake. Brad Jones made a mistake hitting Stafford by accident when charging him down, TRYING to do his damn job. He redeemed himself later in the game. Sometimes, I swear this is an Eagles forum :rolleyes:. We`ve just won the divisional championship AGAIN !!!!
This isn't ONE game, and ONE mistake Buggy. After a couple of horrible games he was benched for over half of the season (supposedly due to injury ;)).

Seattle Wk #1 - Deep in Seattle territory 2nd qtr. - illegal contact nullifies a CM3/Peppers sack on 2nd & 11. Then, 4th quarter 8 minutes left his defensive holding on an incomplete 3rd & 6 keeps the drive alive allowing Seattle to run the clock down to 2:37 left in the game. Those 2 plays go along with his couple of downfield tackles after large gains. Looking back at this game you'll also see Brad Jones NOT joining in on tackles but watching others try taking down Lynch. I was screaming at the TV for him to at least ATTEMPT taking on Lynch! :mad:

Miami Wk #6 - Illegal hands to the face, nullifying his own sack on 2nd & 9 with 3:15 left... Miami runs another minute off the clock before punting. AR's heroic drive pulled victory from the jaws of defeat ~ wouldn't have been so exciting had there been another minute on the clock.

Detroit Wk #17 - 3rd & 13, incomplete pass with 33 seconds left gave Detroit a new set of downs after his stupid hit to Stafford's head. In what world is THAT play legal? It wasn't a mistake, it was stupid. Detroit tied the game on the next play from the 20 instead of it being 4th & 13 from the 35. :speechless:

The guy belongs on somebody else's roster or on the street. Can't fill a hole, can't cover, CAN rush the passer on occasion but then slaps him in the head (Wk 6 & 17). Can't fix stupid...

Last edited:

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great win for the Packers... another NFC North title and another year Detroit loses in Green Bay/Wisconsin.

Studs:
- Rodgers performance... before and after the injury. Only miscue may have been the early attempt to Lacy that Suh nearly intercepted
- Running game, especially early in the game
- OL with pass protection and run blocking
- Cobb, Nelson and even Richard Rodgers receiving
- Hyde with big punt return for TD
- Pass defense

Duds:
- Run defense... Packers were getting gashed up the middle, Lions averaged 4.8 yards/carry... if play Dallas or Seattle that could be even worse figure
- Brad Jones penalty... he seems very much like wrong player in wrong position a lot
- Lacy fumble and 2nd near fumble
- Another blocked FG
- Red zone offense on first series... 7 chances inside 5 yard line should be a TD

I do not think Packers win this game without Rodgers... his grit may have saved them the NFC North title and first round bye that he will need to heal up.

Anyone want to wager Packers beat Vikings at the end of 2015 season to win the NFC North title by a game over the Vikings? :D:p

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Quite a lot to name here. For starters kudos to Aaron Rodgers for coming back into this game despite a nagging leg injury and fully realizing his limitations, keeping himself in the pocket and delivering a fantastic performance in a must-win game. Also props to Lacy for a great ground attack, Cobb and Nelson for their parts, the O-line for keeping a hurt Rodgers up-right, and an opportunistic defense.

Duds:

Brad Jones right off the bat comes to mind. There's no room for anyone on this team who commits atrocious penalties that lead to points and momentum. You simply can't do that in the playoffs.

Special Teams. With the exception of Hyde returning a beautiful touch down, our special teams once again has flopped. Another blocked field goal? It seems every time Crosby comes out to kick I'm expecting a 50/50 chance of the kick being blocked. Also that "on-side punt" after the safety debacle should have been handled much better.

Coaching. I've always had a love/hate relationship with Mike McCarthy. In some games he looks brilliant, in others he looks lousy, and in some games I think it simply benefits him that he has an all-star cast. I'm by no means qualified to coach an NFL team, but that first drive that led to no points on the goal line was infuriating.

I simply cannot for the life of me understand why, on 2nd and goal, 3rd and goal, you don't hand the ball off to Lacy, and THEN on 4th down you finally decide to run it? Makes absolutely zero sense, terrible decision that thankfully didn't cost us the game.

I

This isn't ONE game, and ONE mistake Buggy. After a couple of horrible games he was benched for over half of the season (supposedly due to injury ;)).

Seattle Wk #1 - Deep in Seattle territory 2nd qtr. - illegal contact nullifies a CM3/Peppers sack on 2nd & 11. Then, 4th quarter 8 minutes left his defensive holding on an incomplete 3rd & 6 keeps the drive alive allowing Seattle to run the clock down to 2:37 left in the game. Those 2 plays go along with his couple of downfield tackles after large gains. Looking back at this game you'll also see Brad Jones NOT joining in on tackles but watching others try taking down Lynch. I was screaming at the TV for him to at least ATTEMPT taking on Lynch! :mad:

Miami Wk #6 - Illegal hands to the face, nullifying his own sack on 2nd & 9 with 3:15 left... Miami runs another minute off the clock before punting. AR's heroic drive pulled victory from the jaws of defeat ~ wouldn't have been so exciting had there been another minute on the clock.

Detroit Wk #17 - 3rd & 13, incomplete pass with 33 seconds left gave Detroit a new set of downs after his stupid hit to Stafford's head. In what world is THAT play legal? It wasn't a mistake, it was stupid. Detroit tied the game on the next play from the 20 instead of it being 4th & 13 from the 35. :speechless:

The guy belongs on somebody else's roster or on the street. Can't fill a hole, can't cover, CAN rush the passer on occasion but then slaps him in the head (Wk 6 & 17). Can't fix stupid...

I get you PK, but I`m just savouring the victory right now. In the big picture as far as last night, he made a mistake and seemed to make up for it later. I can`t argue about him not being a Packer next year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Can I "Dud" a good portion of the chatbox that threw in the towel on the season the second Rodgers went out of the game? Completely ridiculous.
Same guys that said three months ago we'd be lucky to go 8-8. They all live in a house teetering on the edge of a cliff.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Quite a lot to name here. For starters kudos to Aaron Rodgers for coming back into this game despite a nagging leg injury and fully realizing his limitations, keeping himself in the pocket and delivering a fantastic performance in a must-win game. Also props to Lacy for a great ground attack, Cobb and Nelson for their parts, the O-line for keeping a hurt Rodgers up-right, and an opportunistic defense.

Duds:

Brad Jones right off the bat comes to mind. There's no room for anyone on this team who commits atrocious penalties that lead to points and momentum. You simply can't do that in the playoffs.

Special Teams. With the exception of Hyde returning a beautiful touch down, our special teams once again has flopped. Another blocked field goal? It seems every time Crosby comes out to kick I'm expecting a 50/50 chance of the kick being blocked. Also that "on-side punt" after the safety debacle should have been handled much better.

Coaching. I've always had a love/hate relationship with Mike McCarthy. In some games he looks brilliant, in others he looks lousy, and in some games I think it simply benefits him that he has an all-star cast. I'm by no means qualified to coach an NFL team, but that first drive that led to no points on the goal line was infuriating.

I simply cannot for the life of me understand why, on 2nd and goal, 3rd and goal, you don't hand the ball off to Lacy, and THEN on 4th down you finally decide to run it? Makes absolutely zero sense, terrible decision that thankfully didn't cost us the game.

In a double digit win, how can you give coaching a dud for just one series of play?

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a double digit win, how can you give coaching a dud for just one series of play?

Because this was a home game against a Lions team that is suspect at best. If we have to go into Seattle, there's little wiggle room for bad play calling where touch downs are an absolute must when you have the ball at the 1 yard line. In my opinion (and you have every right to disagree) it was just a bad decision not to give the ball to Lacy on those early downs. Does it guarantee that he would get in? No, but the percentages suggest that he's likely going to, and THEN on 4th down if you haven't been able to run it in, you let Rodgers do his thing.

That formula shouldn't be rocket science, and I think this was one of those situations where McCarthy simply was trying to do too much and not keep it simple. In the playoffs you absolutely need to take advantage of those situations where you're on the goal line.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Studs: Offense, A-rod(pumped him up) loud a** Packer fans
Duds: B-Jones, even if the penalty is ticky tac it's you still know it's a penalty STOOPID! Special teams has nothing special about them if we are to go deep we will need them to shine..and finally, Mr Suh, jim Caldwell is a respected coach and Suhs idiocy is not approved by him, but his style of play is well known, by the Lions organization, he should be fined and suspended just a Suhpid player....

I

Sorry computer problems, I was referring to the penalty by brad Jones to Staffords head, from the begining of the season, everyone knows the officials will call this and that penalty was STOOPID!

No problem.....I was just wondering ;)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because this was a home game against a Lions team that is suspect at best. If we have to go into Seattle, there's little wiggle room for bad play calling where touch downs are an absolute must when you have the ball at the 1 yard line. In my opinion (and you have every right to disagree) it was just a bad decision not to give the ball to Lacy on those early downs. Does it guarantee that he would get in? No, but the percentages suggest that he's likely going to, and THEN on 4th down if you haven't been able to run it in, you let Rodgers do his thing.

That formula shouldn't be rocket science, and I think this was one of those situations where McCarthy simply was trying to do too much and not keep it simple. In the playoffs you absolutely need to take advantage of those situations where you're on the goal line.

I'll agree the play calling in that situation wasn't the best.

We can disagree though that it makes MM a dud for the game.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Studs and Duds have been pretty well taken care of but I gotta say I’m amazed a Packers fan could watch that game and say Rodgers was only one worthy of stud status. And how McCarthy could be a dud for one failed drive is surprising too.

Here’s a ‘maybe’ stud: James Campen. For all the crap he’s received from Packers fans, he should receive some praise for how the OL is playing now. On McCarthy’s TV show he said he and Campen got together on the plane ride to Tampa to begin to scheme for the Lions game and continued on the ride home. He said that’s unusual but they knew the Lions game would be crucial. It’s only a maybe stud because just as when the OL wasn’t doing well, I still don’t know how much praise or criticism should be leveled at Campen.

Not a stud by my favorite call of the game, Joe Buck on the Packers first offensive play: “… here’s Lacy… second year pro has a first down and a good start as he carries the city of Detroit for a gain of 22.” BTW, the Packers first play on offense gained more than any play they ran at Detroit.
I don't think some people understand what it is to be a Green Bay Packer fan. … I don't think being critical of players or coaches decisions or having concerns is a problem but to constantly have this "negative vibe" and attitude like our team and organization is bunch of losers is just ridiculous. All of this while they build a team like the Seattle Seahawks to be a "100 foot tall monster". It makes me wonder if they are really Packer fans to the core or just undercover Seahawk fans in there little "Neon Green Russell Wilson Jersey's". It's baffling to me that a team contending for a Super Bowl championship can have so much negativity.
I agree – I don’t like the constant negative vibe of a few Packers fans. My guess is it’s somewhat of a defense mechanism – if your expectations are low it doesn’t hurt so much when the team loses. But I don’t like it anyway. I also don’t like your disrespect of opponents who have earned - or should have earned - the respect of Packers fans attempting to be just moderately objective. So IMO you’re at the other end of the spectrum and are just as ridiculous.

H

HardRightEdge

I'll go a step further. Take the 3 points.

I just don't see it as the game commentator put it...as an expression of confidence in the defense. It's just the opposite. It says, "we'll need all the points we can get, and if we fail to score at least we'll give the defense 90 yards to defend".

In that situation, kick the field goal and come away with some points and the lead...that's an expression of confidence.

I wouldn't pick on that as a dud, though, given the overall game plan was so solid.

H

HardRightEdge

Joe Buck on the Packers first offensive play: “… here’s Lacy… second year pro has a first down and a good start as he carries the city of Detroit for a gain of 22.” BTW, the Packers first play on offense gained more than any play they ran at Detroit.
A nit that could be picked (in keeping with "studs and duds" standard practice ;)) would be that Cobb had a 34 yard reception. It was a short crosser where he ran away from some guys and then turned it up the sidelines if memory serves.