Studs and duds Charger game

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Dud: 3rd/4th down and less then a yard for a first down play calling/execution. This play seems to haunt the Packers every year as they have no faith in the run. Yesterday, same situation and AR throws a long pass down the sidelines to Richard Rodgers, high and outside, pretty much uncachable, ending the drive. We need less then a yard to keep a drive going, get the first down!

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: 3rd/4th down and less then a yard for a first down play calling/execution. This play seems to haunt the Packers every year as they have no faith in the run. Yesterday, same situation and AR throws a long pass down the sidelines to Richard Rodgers, high and outside, pretty much uncachable, ending the drive. We need less then a yard to keep a drive going, get the first down!
We were also TERRIBLE on 3rd downs defensively.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He gets timed in the 40 with a calendar, though. You would think a guy whose wife is about to deliver their eighth child would have some pretty good moves.

He may have the moves, but 7 kids? Surprised he can still think straight!

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that posters that believe everything is perfect because the Packers won the game are equally at fault as the ones thinking there wasn't any player deserving of a stud grade for his performance during yesterday's game.

There's no denying the defense gave up way too many passing yards but most importantly the unit only gave up 20 points and was able to get the decisive stop at the end of the game. In addition they only allowed 2.9 yards per carry.

The offense scored 27 points which is a pretty good accomplishment in this league in any way but especially considering they were missing Nelson, Adams and Montgomery for most of the game. The unit will improve by hopefully getting some of the injured players back after the bye.

I have to admit that I'm worried about Lacy though. I'm not totally convinced the ankle injury is the only thing bothering him, to me he looks out of shape as well.

Overall, Packers fans should enjoy the team being 6-0 (for just the second time in the Super Bowl era) and while there are some areas to be concerned about the Packers are without a doubt one of the best teams in the league and on a good way to secure the #1 seed in the NFC.

I thought I was the only one that noticed Lacy looked a bit big. It's probably because he can't really exercise with that ankle.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the Chargers got to 17 points with about 9 minutes left in the 3rd, who would have thought they'd only get to 20 for the game?

Good teams get it done when it matters the most.

Agree with this sentiment. D seemed to pick it up when it needed to the most. All 3 sacks (and much better pressure) came late and the D seemed to tighten up when it needed to do so.

That said, seem to recall that Keenan Allen, he of the 14 receptions for 157 yards yesterday, left with an injury at about that same time the D started "getting it done." Hard to gain too much confidence if we have to rely upon injuries for the other team to get it done.

Scary to think that SD's 2nd WR Stevie Johnson did not even play. Hope this game was just an anomaly rather than what we can expect more of when we face top-tier QBs.

H

HardRightEdge

Upon watching the replay, Randall had Woodhead in the flat and didn't come off until he read Rivers eyes and Rivers started to throw. Randall would have broken it up if it was thrown to Woodhead.
That's the way I see it.

Randall picked up Woodhead off the line...covered. It looks like Rivers looked to Woodhead first, saw him covered, and progressed to Gates. As soon as Rivers looked off him Randall jumped to Gates. I think it is fair to say Randall did not leave a man he had covered as some random decision. He read something, and that something was Rivers eyes, maybe his stance too when he reset his feet.

What ensued was a little interesting. Matthews, who had his back to the play, turns to Hyde and points at Woodhead. Hyde points behind himself as if to say, "not my man, talk to him." Randall steps forward, gesturing to Matthews in a way that does not express apology.

Rivers may have been fooled by that play. On the 4th. down it was same route, same coverage and Randall did not come off Woodhead...because Rivers did not look him off.

Could Rivers have come off Gates and come back to the wide open Woodhead? Sure. But players take calculated risks, whether based on film study or experience or instincts. What distinguishes good players is they are right a lot more often than wrong. Randall? So far so good. For that one play, the proof was in the putting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Studs: Those throwback uniforms, Randall for being clutch, Starks for two scores, and ourr defense for only allowing 20 points, the thought that Rivers threw for over 500 yards and only 20 points if you think about it. Rivers seemed to be in Rodgers mode and yet still couldn't win.

Duds: McCarthy's timeout near the end of the 2nd quarter. And a lot of other things.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest dud for me is that at least three times...1. Mathews on a back or receiver for a TD. 2. Neal is on Woodhead for an important 1st down. 3. Peppers is on Woodhead for an important 1st down. If you have 3rd and five and you are going to have your DE back out and watch the scatback; well, he should not be in the game. You should have another DB in the game. Also, I am pretty sure I saw a two man rush with two guys kind of standing around at the line of scrimmage. That deserves a dud. Also, not scoring a TD on that last field goal.
Studs: Randall, Starks, Datone, almost Dix (I think his tackling is getting very good) but his coverage skill on that long pass was bad. He should have been able to get to that ball. He must have been out of position deep.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Randall shouldnt be in the dud category. Kid was drafted as a high upside project who wasn't supposed to be more than a nickle or dime back this season yet he's already seized the number 2 cornerback role for us. He struggled at times last night yet he kept competing and made key plays in crucial moments including that final defection. Contrast that with Sam Shields who usually struggles and continues to struggle after making mistakes. I think he was more of a push last night.

Maybe making Randall a dud is a bit harsh...but then saying Sam Shields "usually" struggles is just as untrue. Shields had a rough game against the Bears and made some mistakes in the Charger game...heck I had him as a dud as well. But otherwise Shields has been a Shut Down cornerback. He also has 2 interceptions and probably could have about 3 more if he could hold on to the ball on tough plays where the Wide receiver contested him for the ball.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Starks- his big run was huge.
Bulaga- coming off the knee injury he fared pretty well.
Duds- Shields- was totally outmatched vs Allen. Hyde- what can you say but that he is too slow Packers can no longer afford to play him. Lacy- face it, he's fat and out of shape he needs to be benched he is ineffective and needs to work on his conditioning before playing again. Guion- he needs to get at least some push on passing downs yesterday's performance showed that he's not a guy you want in the game when the other team
Is pass happy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agree with this sentiment. D seemed to pick it up when it needed to the most. All 3 sacks (and much better pressure) came late and the D seemed to tighten up when it needed to do so.

That said, seem to recall that Keenan Allen, he of the 14 receptions for 157 yards yesterday, left with an injury at about that same time the D started "getting it done." Hard to gain too much confidence if we have to rely upon injuries for the other team to get it done.

While Allen´s injury for sure helped the Packers defense started to play better once Capers played Matthews exclusively on the outside even in nickel on three of the last four drives. BTW that was an adjustment made by Capers which most of you criticizing him for not doing enough probably didn´t even realize.

The biggest dud for me is that at least three times...1. Mathews on a back or receiver for a TD. 2. Neal is on Woodhead for an important 1st down. 3. Peppers is on Woodhead for an important 1st down. If you have 3rd and five and you are going to have your DE back out and watch the scatback; well, he should not be in the game. You should have another DB in the game.

Even in the dime package the defense will end up covering a running back or tight end with a linebacker. The Packers even tried to play with seven defensive backs at times vs. the Chargers but that leaves the unit way too vulnerable against the run to line up that way constantly.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe making Randall a dud is a bit harsh...but then saying Sam Shields "usually" struggles is just as untrue. Shields had a rough game against the Bears and made some mistakes in the Charger game...heck I had him as a dud as well. But otherwise Shields has been a Shut Down cornerback. He also has 2 interceptions and probably could have about 3 more if he could hold on to the ball on tough plays where the Wide receiver contested him for the ball.

Oh at his best Sam Shields is outstanding and he generally is a very good cover corner. My point was that Sam tends to followup mistakes with more mistakes. He's not a guy who often turns around bad play in game, I bet if he went against KA this weekend he'd lock him down completely.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is stud worthy for winning his 100th game as Packer's head coach as well as being the 2nd winningest Packers coach behind Curly Lambeau.
He has won 11 more games as Packer's head coach than the legendary Vince Lombardi.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even in the dime package the defense will end up covering a running back or tight end with a linebacker. The Packers even tried to play with seven defensive backs at times vs. the Chargers but that leaves the unit way too vulnerable against the run to line up that way constantly.
To call Peppers or Neal a linebacker is in name only. And besides, if you are going to put linebackers on scatbacks then you are just conceding the first down. As for Clay...you just can't put him one on one on a receiver. Someone has to help him over the top or it is an easy long pass. Yes, you become more vulnerable to the run wilth another DB. So pick your poison. To me, watching Neal or Peppers trying to cover a back is a no brainer for any QB.

D

Deleted member 6794

To call Peppers or Neal a linebacker is in name only. And besides, if you are going to put linebackers on scatbacks then you are just conceding the first down. As for Clay...you just can't put him one on one on a receiver. Someone has to help him over the top or it is an easy long pass. Yes, you become more vulnerable to the run wilth another DB. So pick your poison. To me, watching Neal or Peppers trying to cover a back is a no brainer for any QB.

I would have to watch the replay to be sure about it but I have a hard time believing Neal or Peppers were covering a RB. While there should ideally be safety help over the top Matthews has to do a better job one-on-one with a TE than on Green's TD.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I remember it ... both one on one on important 3rd and fives. An easy flat pass.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough.
I wondered, when I posted, if anyone would come back with that response.
Good one.
Well, MM's had a good run. It would have been classified great if he had added another Championship in 2011 or 2014, when he had excellent chances. Maybe this year is the year.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Starks- his big run was huge.
Bulaga- coming off the knee injury he fared pretty well.
Duds- Shields- was totally outmatched vs Allen. Hyde- what can you say but that he is too slow Packers can no longer afford to play him. Lacy- face it, he's fat and out of shape he needs to be benched he is ineffective and needs to work on his conditioning before playing again. Guion- he needs to get at least some push on passing downs yesterday's performance showed that he's not a guy you want in the game when the other team
Is pass happy.

Hyde is a solid player who had a rough game. Overreaction to say the Packers cannot afford to play him anymore.