Studs and duds Charger game

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, I wonder if some of these guys watched the game. Dom tried making adjustments and he changed things up throughout the game, he mixed up coverages he tried rushing 6 he tried dropping 8. But its tough to scheme when your guys up front arent winning their matchups, especially in the interior of our Defensive front.

Looks to me like the common, "The defense wasn't good, therefore it's on Capers" without having any play calls or schemes to back it up.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ill confess I wasnt happy and I did criticize this team, and even great teams have clunkers. But what irritated me was that we made them look like the Patriots on Offense at times. Phil Rivers probably is as good as anyone when he has time. But that O-line of their's is just awful. For our front seven to fail to get pressure consistently against a bunch of second stringers was just disappointing.

BTW I don't think Matthews has shown the same kind of feel at OLB that he used to show, it's been a while since Ive seen him executed an explosive spin move to come back inside. Perhaps the splitting time at ILB has hurt his skill on the edge?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't know how you can blame Capers for not getting more pressure. Rivers did an amazing job of getting the ball out and had some really nice long throws. And their MASH unit OL did an incredible job pass blocking even with Rivers getting the ball out quick. There were receivers open in the flat and that can probably be blamed on the Capers' scheme, particularly on those instances where it looked like no one was close.

IMO studs for the Packers were Starks - he really ran with authority. Jeff Janis: I don't know if that long pass he caught was meant for him or Rodgers, but he did a great job getting to it and catching it. He also almost blocked a punt with his right hand - I'm glad they didn't flag him on that because he was blocked into the P.

Datone Jones. I thought he played the best of the DL.

STs was mentioned but Ron Zook deserves a mention as a stud. I preferred McCarthy go outside the organization for the ST coordinator job but they're much improved this season.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding defensive adjustments, the Chargers only scored 3 point their last four drives.

Whatever Capers did late and whatever adjustments were made clearly worked.

Doesn't make sense to criticize Capers for not making adjustments when the defense was very good late.

H

HardRightEdge

Stud: As bad as the pass D was, they really stepped it up late. Only a FG given up SD's last four drives.
It's called "finishing", something in short supply in recent seasons. I need not recount the most infamous example.

For that, the defense gets a "stud".

Finishing is starting to look like a habit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the momentum of the game changed when the Packers failed to capitalize on Clay Matthews' recovery of Melvin Gordon's fumble at the Chargers 34, with the Pack up 17-3. The Packers gained nothing and ended up punting. I believe San Diego then took it down for that last second td before the half.

A Packers' td at that point might have taken the fight out of the Chargers but their stand gave them a boost.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else catch Janis' catch and run, specifically Rodgers reaction afterwards. Aaron ran down the field after janis and was all over him congratulating him after that catch, didn't look like Aaron doesn't like him. I think Aaron sees Janis' potential just like the Coaches do, but Aaron is kinda looking at him like he's a goose still in the oven.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you guys are expecting the defense to wreck people every week you're crazy. We have improved yes but we were fortunate to start the season against some not so very good qbs . I take no merit in that #2 ranking for that very reason. End the season in the top ten then I'll drink the kool aid... Until then ??? Uhh no.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the momentum of the game changed when the Packers failed to capitalize on Clay Matthews' recovery of Melvin Gordon's fumble at the Chargers 34, with the Pack up 17-3. The Packers gained nothing and ended up punting. I believe San Diego then took it down for that last second td before the half.

A Packers' td at that point might have taken the fight out of the Chargers but their stand gave them a boost.

Can't recall of it was that drive. But I think the momentum swung when Montgomery went down. After that it seemed the offense sputtered. Cobb is great when he has the slot or coming off the backfield. But when forced to be the #1 guy and be outside he struggles. This offense will pick it up when we get Davante and Ty back.

I think Starks was the biggest stud today. Janis also had some great key plays. Datone Jones also had a few key plays. I thought D. Randall was a dud and was getting worked by K. Allen all game till he went out. But did have 2 td saving plays.

To me it looked like the D line overlooked this game and were looking forward to the Bye. Not much effort shown trying to get off blocks.

Rodgers also had a few throws that he should've made and just seemed off target. He was also shown being pretty frustrated and he's not one to show when he is frustrated.

It's great to get these ugly wins. Seems like all these would be losses in the past. Once we start getting the guys back to being healthy will only make them better. Being 6-0 and not being 100% is pretty darn good.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Datone Jones, Starks, Janis and Randall

Duds: Anyone who judges our defense over these 4 quarters and not the previous 20 quarters.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we start a BJ Raji needs to get paid thread? ......because that man needs to get paid. He makes a massive difference.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could even say 2 quarters. First and fourth quarters were fine.

Very true. I know Rivers got some massive yards, but I see a variety of reasons. Game before bye, time of possession, amount of passes, Rivers is underrated, a couple of bad quarters. So yeah, 22 good quarters out of 24? I'll take that every time.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I felt like the offense was monkeying around with some different looks today. I think 12 finally trust Janis a bit.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Studs: John Starks, Mason Crosby Phillip Rivers(505yds) Chargers O'line
Duds: Defense, O'line protection, A-rod, Dom Capers (are you kidding Dom a 1 man or a 2 man pass rush) punter need to look at another punter, penalties(again)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: John Starks, Mason Crosby Phillip Rivers(505yds) Chargers O'line
Duds: Defense, O'line protection, A-rod, Dom Capers (are you kidding Dom a 1 man or a 2 man pass rush) punter need to look at another punter, penalties(again)

I don't recall seeing any one or two man pass rushes. When they did happen?

Penalties didn't hurt us much either.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I don't recall seeing any one or two man pass rushes. When they did happen?

Penalties didn't hurt us much either.
most of the game unless DTV replay is showing a different game, 2 inside D lineman lined up with 2 line backers, 1 Lineman in the middle with 2 line backers rushing on both sides no 3 lineman at scrimmage rushing like previous games..

Shanghai Pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For all we know, MM could have gotten involved with the offense right before the Packers last two scoring drives. We have no idea how much MM was involved in the offense or defense at all today. Maybe he was trying a lot and it didn't work.

Also, I'll try to ask again. What should Capers have done differently?

Personally I would have liked to see an adjustment where our CBs were jamming their WRs at the line with deep safety coverage (or basically the same D the Niners used on us a few weeks back) instead of playing off and turn and running. That's the best way to disrupt the short passing game as you mess up the timing. The safeties take care of anyone who gets beat at the line to stop it from being a home run. The downside is now your LBs have responsibility for a larger coverage area for the TE and backs and can't blitz as much, so I can understand why we didn't come out in that to start the game. But I think it would have been worth switching to this style for a possession or two to see if it could stop them more effectively as a mid-game adjustment.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is Randell getting so many stud grades? Yeah he made a play at the end but he got beat like he stole something all game.

If your all about the last play fine. Give him an even grade but it shouldn't negate the rest of his play out there to the point people are saying he was a stud out there today

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with some posters here excusing Capers from the Dud list. Capers kept blitzing and Rivers tore the defense apart with quick passes taking anywhere from 1.5 - 2 seconds. On this board we always like to dare the other team's defense to blitz Rodgers because we're pretty sure that he'll torch them. That's exactly what Rivers did yesterday and the fault lies in part with Capers for whom a defensive adjustment to play the short pass did not compute.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts