Sharpe vs Driver

Reaction score
(someone else typed this)

I remember a story about a kid and his dad riding in an elevator with him in a hotel on a road game. The kid looks up with adoring eye's and asks for an autograph, to which Sharpe replies "Now you know I can't do that!"

also...
I remember a game where Brett threw an important pass to.. someone else. In the post game interview Brett either said that they used Sterling as a decoy or that Sharpe wasn't the first read on the play and that's why it didn't get thrown his way.
Sterling comes back in his interview clearly irritated and angrily said that "I don't know what that was supposed to mean... I've never not been the first read ever."

While Sterling was a great receiver and played through injuries. His talent was never an issue. It was always his attitude. There are many stories about how he was a jerk with fans and media. While I can understand not liking the media. Blowing off fans, especially little kids is ridiculous.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Sterling was a great receiver and played through injuries. His talent was never an issue. It was always his attitude. There are many stories about how he was a jerk with fans and media. While I can understand not liking the media. Blowing off fans, especially little kids is ridiculous.
A LOT of that is blown out of proportion because he wasn't good to the media.

They retaliated by attacking his image.

Let's remember, Aaron Rodgers was demonized by not signing a helmet for a cancer patient lady. No context was given by the media early on.

And Rodgers is liked by the media. Now imagine what they did to Sterling.

OP
OP
mcoomer146

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Let's remember, Aaron Rodgers was demonized by not signing a helmet for a cancer patient lady. No context was given by the media early on.

The media is responsible for player-fan perception. They attack the 1 bad thing and say nothing about the good things. A good example is Rodney Harrison. They will always call him a dirty player because of the hit on Trent Green. I don't think he was a dirty player, he just hit people hard.

Randy Moss doesn't talk to the media so they attack him by saying hes a trouble maker.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can only remember two players holding out during the regular season and that was Emmitt Smith and Michael Crabtree. I am probably wrong but that's the two big ones

John Riggins sat out an entire season as did Sean Gilbert which im sure influenced his nephew.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
What are we voting on here? Better receiver? Easy. Sterling Sharpe. Better person? Easy. DD.
With a full career Sharpe is a HOF first ballot. On the other hand, who doesn't love a first class story and guy like DD, all the heart you could ever hope for.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Sharpe was an a-hole - great player, but an a-hole...probably still is. He was always and forever allllllll about Sterling ... probably has his own Hall of Fame in his basement.

Driver is a Packer.

Someone mentioned James Lofton early on ... now THAT was a receiver. The only jersey that I even came close to buying.

Sirscorps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sterling was a better wr, hands down & would've broken a lot of Packers' records. If his career wouldn't have been shortened due to injury, he had an excellent chance of being mentioned among the all-time greats & would've been a sure-fire HOFer. He averages 1.3 more catches per game, 18 more yds. per game & has 12 more TD's than Donald in 64 less games played. Sterling was almost always double teamed (sometimes triple teamed) on teams that were bad to solid while Driver has played on really good offenses w/a great qb's that have had many more weapons on it to take the pressure off of him. Meanwhile, Sharpe never had a good #2 wr on the other side, except maybe in his last year. But, he still put up amazing numbers that year.

Sterling was a man among boys & he also played big in big games too, he should be considered to be in the HOF. In his 7 years, he was a 5x Pro Bowler (when it meant a lot more) & was a 3x All Pro. Compare his numbers to Terrell Davis' & Gale Sayers', 2 other players who had their careers cut short. Don't forget too that Denver had an O-line that could make ANY rb look very good (i.e. Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary).

Donald's been a very good wr & is a great person but he was never a Blue Chipper like Sterling was, never.

Sirscorps

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I believe that Sterling wasn't like that towards the media @ 1st but only after they had misquoted him a few times or had taken what he said out of context, which the media loves to do. So, since he couldn't trust the media, he stopped talking to them. In the end, who cares if players shun the media? How many times do they actually say something meaningful or thought provoking anyway? Athletes are trained to talk in "team first" & in "general" terms to begin with. 95% of what they say is bland & isn't news worthy @ all.

"I wanna thank my teammates, God & the coaches for the opportunity...." zzzzz........

"My teammates did a great job....." zzzzz........

"As a defense, we didn't play well".....zzzzz......

Who cares?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
you never bought a jersey?

No, but fear not!! My son has more than made up for that.

All the stuff I've purchased and it's a pretty scarey amount of dollars when all is totaled has been 'team' orientated. I've never been one to zoom in on one player. I don't mean to sound critical or elevated above "all of that", that's not me. I just tend to look at it differently - maybe because I've played (but, only 1 year into college, I wasn't good or anything) and coached and see football as a modern game of chess played with real bodies.

If I were to buy a jersey today -- it would be Josh Sitton's. I've always loved watching the play of the big fat guys. The 'skill' guys today, to me, are just prima-donnas it seems.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sterling Sharpe was the best receiver of his era, other than Jerry Rice.
And for a few years there, he was as good as Rice was.
I had a debate about that on Sporting News Radio back in about 91, with Bob Kemp, and made a case for Sterling and he actually said I made a good case and he couldn't argue.

Too bad it didn't last because of the neck problem. Damn. I loved Sterling.
I love Driver more, but Sterling was better.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Ha, I'm glad you said it, if Sterling had played a full career he would have that hallowed respect that Rice does. Think of Sterling with Rodgers, Jennings and Finley. The NFL would have to make up rules to prevent complete blowouts every game.
I'd rather have Driver over to dinner but if I'm fielding a team with the best talent it's hands down Sterling. He was good with double and triple teams on him.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts