Sharpe vs Driver

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't compare Wrs to TEs.

Can't build a passing offense based on TEs, you need a running game.

Shannon Sharpe as a TE was better than Driver as a WR, but for the purposes of a #1 target, Driver.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sorry I didn't clarify but that's what I meant. Over the middle I would take Sharpe but down the line I would take Driver

Driver can also line up over the slot. So he gives you more to build an offense around.

But if you are on a running offense, I'd bet Sharpe is open more often with the PAs, and would be more targeted.

Chop0Suey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sharpe made Favre look good, but Favre also made Sharpe look good, and the same for Driver and Rodgers

Umm... Do you mean Sterling Sharpe? If I had to choose between those two, I'd probably have to go with Sterling. It'd just about kill me since Driver's one of my all-time favorite Packers, but I just think Sterling is the better player. I mean, the dude was putting up HOF type numbers before his career was cut short!

OP
OP
mcoomer146

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Umm... Do you mean Sterling Sharpe? If I had to choose between those two, I'd probably have to go with Sterling. It'd just about kill me since Driver's one of my all-time favorite Packers, but I just think Sterling is the better player. I mean, the dude was putting up HOF type numbers before his career was cut short!

yeah I did mean Sterling

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well sharpe was a great WR and DD has been a good WR. They are on two different levels. Sharpe is arguably the 2nd best WR we ever have had.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Well sharpe was a great WR and DD has been a good WR. They are on two different levels. Sharpe is arguably the 2nd best WR we ever have had.

I got to agree with this. If not #2, definitely top 5. Hutson, Lofton, Sharpe, Dale, Howton. DD is in the next level down.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if you're talking about Sterling then it's a different thing.

Sterling was amazing. The best receiver I've seen. There's no contest.

He had the 2 best seasons a Packers' receiver ever had, in the modern era. What hampers Driver and will probably keep him from the HoF is that he never had double digit TDs.

Sterling was the complete package. He was strong and fast enough to dominate outside, but he ran amazing routes, was very fast in and out of breaks, and had amazing hands.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sterling Sharpe's best season 1992: 108 rec 1,461 yds 13 TD
Donald Driver's best season 2006: 92 rec 1,295 yds 8 TD

End of discussion.

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Donald Driver, and he is my all time favorite Packer, but I'd take Sterling. If his career wasn't cut short he could have been one of the Top 10 WR's in NFL history. His numbers he was putting up were sick and Favre was just coming into the league. Putting up the Favre/Sharpe combo would have been lethal.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I love Donald Driver, and he is my all time favorite Packer, but I'd take Sterling. If his career wasn't cut short he could have been one of the Top 10 WR's in NFL history. His numbers he was putting up were sick and Favre was just coming into the league. Putting up the Favre/Sharpe combo would have been lethal.

The loss of Sharpe may have made Favre into a better QB. I recall an editorial or discussion from about 15 years ago whereas with Sharpe, Favre looked to him as the number one option on every play. Without him he had to learn to scan the field and take what was available. Sharpe helped Favre through alot of his learning curve but may have hindered him somewhat if he had stayed around. (editorial viewpoint) The running game also came around after Holmgren could not just toss it to Sharpe on every other play.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
... with Sharpe, Favre looked to him as the number one option on every play. Without him he had to learn to scan the field and take what was available.
In the off season after the '94 season I remember hearing a radio interview with Joe Theismann in which he advanced this exact point. Before the fact he said he thought Sterling's absence would make Favre a better QB because he would have to survey the entire field, putting a bigger burden on defenses. Honestly at the time I thought he was full of it but I do think that turned out to be true. (This probably doesn't help your argument because many fans don't think much of Theismann.) Now, of course the team would have been better with Sharpe and even better had Favre been able to spread the ball around, including getting to Sterling. Like all great WRs his presence drew a lot of attention. I loved the way Sharpe played WR - with the attitude of a LB. And he had a "LB like" body for a WR.

BTW, I also love the way Driver plays but Sterling vs. Donald isn't even a close call IMO, it's Sterling all the way.

Reaction score
This is a lot tougher of a call for me than some of you guys. Sterling was a great receiver no doubt about it. He was Favre's security blanket. He wanted and demanded the ball on every play. Once he left Favre actually became a better QB because he was forced to look to other receivers, not the same guy on every play. I'm not so sure Sharpe would be as successful playing on a team that has as many options as they have right now. Mainly because of his ego. Driver came into the league as a 7th round pick and worked his butt off to become a great receiver. He has excelled as both a #1 or #2 in this offense because he was more of a team first player.

So talent wise Sharpe definitely has the edge. But because of his team first attitude I would actually take Driver over Sharpe!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a lot tougher of a call for me than some of you guys. Sterling was a great receiver no doubt about it. He was Favre's security blanket. He wanted and demanded the ball on every play. Once he left Favre actually became a better QB because he was forced to look to other receivers, not the same guy on every play. I'm not so sure Sharpe would be as successful playing on a team that has as many options as they have right now. Mainly because of his ego. Driver came into the league as a 7th round pick and worked his butt off to become a great receiver. He has excelled as both a #1 or #2 in this offense because he was more of a team first player.

So talent wise Sharpe definitely has the edge. But because of his team first attitude I would actually take Driver over Sharpe!
Hmn.

I don't know, maybe because he was the first Packer player I ever had as an idol, but I did not see the ego.

What I saw was a player that was hurt every single week, to the point where he couldn't even practice, but still played almost every game, and gave his all every single snap. I saw a player who was never afraid to run any route, never afraid of contact up the middle, and who made life really easy for the early version of the gunslinger, where a lot of times he would just throw the ball up in the air, and Sterling would come down with it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmn.

I don't know, maybe because he was the first Packer player I ever had as an idol, but I did not see the ego.

Wasn't it in like 91 or 92 when during the preseason he threatened to hold out if he didn't get a new contract? IIRC he got it the night before the season opener.

VBJunkie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(someone else typed this)

I remember a story about a kid and his dad riding in an elevator with him in a hotel on a road game. The kid looks up with adoring eye's and asks for an autograph, to which Sharpe replies "Now you know I can't do that!"

also...
I remember a game where Brett threw an important pass to.. someone else. In the post game interview Brett either said that they used Sterling as a decoy or that Sharpe wasn't the first read on the play and that's why it didn't get thrown his way.
Sterling comes back in his interview clearly irritated and angrily said that "I don't know what that was supposed to mean... I've never not been the first read ever."

Latest posts