Ryan Grant Hype

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/NFL+Features/2007/quick121007.htm

Overlooked Grant has been a key to Packers’ success

After a disappointing 37-27 loss to the Cowboys last week, the Packers bounced back to clinch the NFC North with a 38-7 trouncing of the Raiders. Somewhat overshadowed by QB Brett Favre’s return to the playoffs is the play RB Ryan Grant. Only after 2007 draft picks Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn, and free-agent acquisition Vernand Morency succumbed to injury was Grant even given an opportunity. But since taking the reins in Week Eight, the former undrafted free agent has amassed four 100-yard performances in his last seven starts and jumpstarted a once-beleaguered running attack. The 6-1, 225-pound slasher has taken to the Packers’ zone-blocking scheme like a duck to water, and has provided much-needed balance. However, in addition to forcing defenses to honor the run, Grant has relieved the 38-year-old Favre from taking hits in the pocket. After a small hiccup last week, the Packers’ offense, thanks in large part to the league’s next great back, is primed for a serious playoff push.
— Billy Wellner

Wow that's some big props. I have to say the Ryan Grant pickup has worked out well. Think the Giants would like maybe a little more than a 6th knowing what he's capable of. :pop:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
This comming from a Bears baised print to... Grant has been playing extremely well.. impressive indeed.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson picked up a new and better Ahman Green?

I like Grant, he runs hard, hits the holes, has good vision, adequate speed and finishes the runs. He's just a plain simple good ol' back without the fancy dancing around stuff.

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Am I correct in thinking Grant is a RFA this off-season?

I don't believe so. I read an article on up coming players to be RFA's and UFA's and I didn't' see his name. It was from Pro Football Weekly.

Reaction score

I don't believe so. I read an article on up coming players to be RFA's and UFA's and I didn't' see his name. It was from Pro Football Weekly.

Thanks porky, I read in an article online somewhere yesterday that mentioned Grant being a RFA at the end of the season. Took me by surprise, since I hadn't heard that before.

What a find, what a surprise Grant has been. Yesterday he proved he could be a workhorse, which is probably what we'll need him to be during the playoff games at Lambeau.

Things are looking great for our future at RB. Grant has emerged, and Wynn was looking solid before getting injured yet again. Those two should make a great RB duo next year.

Pack93z

Reaction score
I am 99.99 % sure that Grant will be an 'Exclusive Rights Free Agent'.. meaning.. Such a player has no more than two accrued seasons in the NFL and may only sign with his prior team, provided, of course, that the team extends a minimum qualifying offer to the player.

So the Packers could use a one year deal to allow them more time to make sure that Grant is the real deal... then either tender him as a Restricted FA or lock him up to a long term deal... So the probablity is high that Grant will be in Green Bay for a number of year if we so choose.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things are looking great for our future at RB. Grant has emerged, and Wynn was looking solid before getting injured yet again. Those two should make a great RB duo next year.

That's what I'm thinking. If Wynn stays healthy, Grant + Wynn = a monster 1-2 punch, probably 2nd best RB duo on the NFL (after the Vikes, and yes, better than Dallas).

Pack93z

Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
how will the matter of the "conditional pick" trade agreement be resolved?

Dunno the answer but I sure hope it doesn't mean we have to give him back!! :D :D

It was an "Unconditional" 6th round pick.. nothing to be cleaned up on..

The Giants acquired a 2008 sixth-round pick in the trade that sent Ryan Grant to Green Bay over the weekend.

The pick is unconditional, so New York keeps it whether or not Grant plays a down for Green Bay. Grant will be the Packers' No. 3 back on Sunday, behind Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn, if Vernand Morency (knee) sits out.

Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackinSteel said:
bozz_2006 said:

Dunno the answer but I sure hope it doesn't mean we have to give him back!! :D :D

The Giants acquired a 2008 sixth-round pick in the trade that sent Ryan Grant to Green Bay over the weekend.

The pick is unconditional, so New York keeps it whether or not Grant plays a down for Green Bay. Grant will be the Packers' No. 3 back on Sunday, behind Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn, if Vernand Morency (knee) sits out.

I reject your conclusive evidence and stand by my original question

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
PackinSteel said:
bozz_2006 said:

I reject your conclusive evidence and stand by my original question

That's my kinda reasoning!! Well played, Bozz. Well played. :D

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
And wasn't Noah Herron pretty awesome before he was sidelined with injury?

What?

Herron is an above average blocker and receiver.

He is not a great runner though.

He should challenge Jackson for our third down back spot next year.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
DarkaneRules said:
And wasn't Noah Herron pretty awesome before he was sidelined with injury?

What?

Herron is an above average blocker and receiver.

He is not a great runner though.

He should challenge Jackson for our third down back spot next year.

Does that mean you think Mo will be out?

I was one of the "Mo is the RB of the future!" guys. Maaaaaybe I was a shade off..... :wink:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks porky, I read in an article online somewhere yesterday that mentioned Grant being a RFA at the end of the season. Took me by surprise, since I hadn't heard that before.

What a find, what a surprise Grant has been. Yesterday he proved he could be a workhorse, which is probably what we'll need him to be during the playoff games at Lambeau.

Says Exclusive Rights Free Agent

Such a player has no more than two accrued seasons in the NFL and may only sign with his prior team, provided, of course, that the team extends a minimum qualifying offer to the player.

also Vernon Morency is a RFA

Members online

Latest posts