Playoff Scenarios

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
And for Gods sake. Cowboys. Are YOU KIDDING ME? Holy meltdown mania again for that team. They have blown several games this season.

I wish I knew the scenarios too that could find both the Giants/Cowboys in the playoffs. The Pack might be able to prevent both Lions/Bears from getting in?

At this point the Falcons are pretty much a lock for a WC spot.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Honestly, the officiating is not even a real concern to me. I will try to watch it all sometime this week but overall I still don't think the Saints are a great road team and as big a threat outside the dome. Simple as that. I think the Saints are a very good team but I am not going to panic over them either right now. It's probably much how the Pats fans felt about the Colts years back. Yeah they are great, yeah they score a lot, yeah they have receivers, yeah the QB is going to the HOF, but get them in our house in January and they have a good shot at being toast in our house by the end of the game. I KNEW the Colts would lose those playoff games in Foxboro ahead of time. I knew it. I used to try to deny it but it was almost inevitable. The Colts were a dome team with a D that did not travel well and a QB who was his best indoors.

I agree with you.

The Saints biggest weakness though is that defense. They struggle against the 2 minute offense, and give up huge plays. It's actually bad, cause a few weeks ago I was thinking of how they may step up. They love to blitz, that's what I loved about them a few years ago. Gregg Williams blitz schems in 2009 worked, because he had the talent, and they were not just blitzing, they were trying crazy stuff. Running the same crap now for 3 years, and without Scott Fujita, Sharper, and the few Linebackers they cut. That defensive unit was special cause it had all the right pieces in the right places, they cut a lot of key guys after winning the Super Bowl, after they were molded into that position, like Fujita. They still haven't found a linebacker to fill the role he played. But their worst player has got to be Patrick Robinson. I have never seen a Corner get burned so much on that team. He's just a little short guy (Believe me, I try to take it easy, cause he's a little guy) but he gets burned so bad. Sometimes he can intercept a pass, and he'll let them catch it.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
And for Gods sake. Cowboys. Are YOU KIDDING ME? Holy meltdown mania again for that team. They have blown several games this season.

I wish I knew the scenarios too that could find both the Giants/Cowboys in the playoffs. The Pack might be able to prevent both Lions/Bears from getting in?

At this point the Falcons are pretty much a lock for a WC spot.

There won't be none of this tomorrow

How 'bout dem Cowboys y'all?

Huge melt down. They had that game won.

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bogart, im actually hoping cowboys still win out (they still can) because i would not want to see the giants in the playoffs.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
bogart, im actually hoping cowboys still win out (they still can) because i would not want to see the giants in the playoffs.

You are a Pats fan. The Giants are in your heads in New England, actually a lot of NY teams are. When I was in college I could not get away from "Yankees Suck" chants if my life depended on it.

The Giants also outside that one 07 lightening in a bottle SB run have been a very bad playoff team under Eli Manning.

The way the Giants try to win many games this year is playing with fire hence their record. They have to come back a lot and they give up a lot of points now almost on a weekly basis. They depend on Eli to win them most games. This is NOT the Giants D of 2007 under Spags.

Both the Giants/Cowboys may get in actually. Depends on the Lions/Bears though. Packers should NOT let division rivals in the playoffs if they can help it. Those are the most dangerous at times.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I heard that buddy, the Giants are having De Ja Vu of a few years ago.
But, the Cowboys won the division that year and swept the Giants in the regular season. The Giants had their revenge tour in the playoffs with the Cowboys/Packers/Patriots. The top 3 offenses in the league that year.

BillyBoy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why the Packers haven't clinched the #1 seed already. The worst we can have now is a 3-way tie at 13-3, and we have a better conference record than NO and SF, would be tied there with SF if we lost the last 3...or does some other tiebreaker give advantage to them?

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well today we locked up a first-round bye wich is KILLER! Would LOVE to get homefield advantage now!

As for the Cowboys...ugh. My father-in-law is a life long Cowboys fan, and I watched the game with him. I really thought they had the game locked up after the two TDs back to back. Game would have been a LOT different if Romo would have connected with Miles Austin when he was wide open. That would have been another TD and a game sealer. I would much rather play the Cowboys in the playoffs than the Giants, because of how close the regular season game was with them. Then again you look at last season when we lost to the Falcons in regular season and DESTROYED them in the post season. Perhaps, if we have to face the Giants again we can just light them up like no one's business!

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Biiiiiiig game between Steelers and Niners. Steelers still have hopes to win the AFC North. And the Niners still want to hold onto the second seed. It's in SF but I have already heard there will be A TON of Steelers fans at the game.

Ben has an ankle sprain but I doubt he sits. Pouncey also has an ankle sprain. Both teams will stop the run.

Niners o line has gotten exposed a lot this year. They have top run blocking o lineman who suffer more in pass protection to me. The Niners should use more quick short passes to keep Alex Smith from getting killed.

And with the Cowboys I have no idea what they are doing on D at times. Rob Ryan has to realize he is not Rex Ryan and does not have Revis and Cromartie so blitzing almost every play won't work. I realize they thought they were going to take advantage of the Giants o line injuries last night but it was a horrible defensive game plan IMO with no adjustments.

D

Dan115

Biiiiiiig game between Steelers and Niners. Steelers still have hopes to win the AFC North. And the Niners still want to hold onto the second seed. It's in SF but I have already heard there will be A TON of Steelers fans at the game.

Ben has an ankle sprain but I doubt he sits. Pouncey also has an ankle sprain. Both teams will stop the run.

Niners o line has gotten exposed a lot this year. They have top run blocking o lineman who suffer more in pass protection to me. The Niners should use more quick short passes to keep Alex Smith from getting killed.

And with the Cowboys I have no idea what they are doing on D at times. Rob Ryan has to realize he is not Rex Ryan and does not have Revis and Cromartie so blitzing almost every play won't work. I realize they thought they were going to take advantage of the Giants o line injuries last night but it was a horrible defensive game plan IMO with no adjustments.

I want the 9 ers to get the 2nd seed and Saints 3rd seed. Go 9ers.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I want the 9 ers to get the 2nd seed and Saints 3rd seed. Go 9ers.

I am almost afraid Alex Smith will get killed in this game. Harrison will rip his head off or something and run off to the locker room with it.

Honestly, a potential third seed Niners with a potential 6 seed Lions game is pretty darn interesting too. I had the Niners beating the Lions the first time around but the second time I don't know..........the Niners offense keeps getting more and more exposed.

How would Packers fans feel about playing the Lions in back to back games? I think the Pack win but it would be annoying, like Suh won't go away. The Bears and Lions......won't go away.

D

Dan115

I am almost afraid Alex Smith will get killed in this game. Harrison will rip his head off or something and run off to the locker room with it.

Honestly, a potential third seed Niners with a potential 6 seed Lions game is pretty darn interesting too. I had the Niners beating the Lions the first time around but the second time I don't know..........the Niners offense keeps getting more and more exposed.

How would Packers fans feel about playing the Lions in back to back games? I think the Pack win but it would be annoying, like Suh won't go away. The Bears and Lions......won't go away.

Don't want the saints to get that second seed.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Don't want the saints to get that second seed.

Let them get the second seed. They are not winning in Green Bay anyway IMO. Take the challenge of beating the Saints. A tougher road to the SB is better then an easier one. When the AFC was rockin at times in the last decade the tougher road to the playoffs prepared teams better for the SB over an easier NFC squad. Once the Colts got to the SB in 2006 the Bears seemed like cake after beating Baltimore and New England.

The worst thing that I believe may happen to the Saints is if they end up with Atlanta in the divisional round if they get the second seed. Atlanta has 100% ability to give the Saints a tough tough tough game, as always. Falcons are to the Saints like what the Bears are to the Packers IMO.

At this point I am getting near the point I think the Niners could be a one and done team regardless of the seed. There may be a one and done team in both conferences with a top record. NE is a candidate to me in the AFC and the Niners in the NFC.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why the Packers haven't clinched the #1 seed already. The worst we can have now is a 3-way tie at 13-3, and we have a better conference record than NO and SF, would be tied there with SF if we lost the last 3...or does some other tiebreaker give advantage to them?

2 out of our last 3 games are against division opponents. If the Packers lose out and go 13-3, and the 49ers win out and go 13-3, the 49ers would be the #1 seed because they'd be 5-1 within their division and we'd be 4-2 within ours. All this talk ends if we win against KC next week or SF loses against PIT.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score

It can't be back to back. We have a first round bye. If the Lions get in it would be as a wildcat team, no? They would play either the #3 or #4 seeded teams.

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 out of our last 3 games are against division opponents. If the Packers lose out and go 13-3, and the 49ers win out and go 13-3, the 49ers would be the #1 seed because they'd be 5-1 within their division and we'd be 4-2 within ours. All this talk ends if we win against KC next week or SF loses against PIT.

Actually I believe it would have to do with common opponents as the first 2 tiebreakers would be null or tied. There's 4 common opponents(which is the minimum) between the Packers and 49ers; The Rams, Lions, Bucs and Giants. If the 49ers win out then they would be undefeated against those teams whereas the Packers would have 1 loss to the Lions. So in this case, 1-1 against the Lions is worse than the 49ers 1-0.

The tiebreaker for #1 seed goes:
  1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  4. Strength of victory.
  5. Strength of schedule.
  6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best net points in conference games.
  9. Best net points in all games.
  10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  11. Coin toss.

Mississippi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you.

The Saints biggest weakness though is that defense. They struggle against the 2 minute offense, and give up huge plays. It's actually bad, cause a few weeks ago I was thinking of how they may step up. They love to blitz, that's what I loved about them a few years ago. Gregg Williams blitz schems in 2009 worked, because he had the talent, and they were not just blitzing, they were trying crazy stuff. Running the same crap now for 3 years, and without Scott Fujita, Sharper, and the few Linebackers they cut. That defensive unit was special cause it had all the right pieces in the right places, they cut a lot of key guys after winning the Super Bowl, after they were molded into that position, like Fujita. They still haven't found a linebacker to fill the role he played. But their worst player has got to be Patrick Robinson. I have never seen a Corner get burned so much on that team. He's just a little short guy (Believe me, I try to take it easy, cause he's a little guy) but he gets burned so bad. Sometimes he can intercept a pass, and he'll let them catch it.

Agreed. The defense is a shadow of its '09 self. It should work, but the players aren't getting it done. I miss Fujita and Sharper like crazy.

I am so happy to hear I'm not the only one that sees Patrick Robinson as a liability. I watched him in the preseason games and kept asking myself why in the world the Saints were giving him the time of day. He gets burned, he doesn't pay attention, he misses plays, he misses tackles...he occasionally does something correct, but far, far more often he just blows. In this off season, I want to see him gone. He's terrible.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Actually I believe it would have to do with common opponents as the first 2 tiebreakers would be null or tied. There's 4 common opponents(which is the minimum) between the Packers and 49ers; The Rams, Lions, Bucs and Giants. If the 49ers win out then they would be undefeated against those teams whereas the Packers would have 1 loss to the Lions. So in this case, 1-1 against the Lions is worse than the 49ers 1-0.

The tiebreaker for #1 seed goes:
  1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  4. Strength of victory.
  5. Strength of schedule.
  6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best net points in conference games.
  9. Best net points in all games.
  10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  11. Coin toss.

We own all the tiebreakers. But it'll be a cold day in hell before we lose the next 3 games.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You pretty much nailed it. All the Niners can do is run.
In the Cards game, Gore only had 10 rushes but ran well. Alex threw like 30 times or something. It didn't work very well... 5 sacks. The pass protection stinks.

I hope we spend evey one of our draft picks on offense. LOL... no, we can't do that. We need some good corners and safeties.

I'm glad the Niners had such a great season. But I don't see them going very far in the playoffs now. The offense just isn't there.

One realization I've recently had is that the biggest difference on the Niners is David Akers. His foot has won us more games than anything else. Last year we lost 4 games by 3 points or less. Akers could have turned that 6-10 record into 10-6. That's 3 games better than what the Seahags went into the playoffs with.

Harbaugh has made a big difference. Just not the difference I once thought he was making. I'm giving Akers that credit.

I hate to say it, but we still need a quarterback.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yup, like I said a while back, if you guys got someone even the likes of Matthew Stafford then you guys are a SB contender.
You shouldn't be happy with just a ''Game manager'' as a QB.
You have a defense that can shut offenses out, a running back that can ground and pound to win a game for you by himself. Now just think of having a QB that can throw for 20-30 TD's every year?
That sounds like complete and utter dominance.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
You pretty much nailed it. All the Niners can do is run.
In the Cards game, Gore only had 10 rushes but ran well. Alex threw like 30 times or something. It didn't work very well... 5 sacks. The pass protection stinks.

I hope we spend evey one of our draft picks on offense. LOL... no, we can't do that. We need some good corners and safeties.

I'm glad the Niners had such a great season. But I don't see them going very far in the playoffs now. The offense just isn't there.

One realization I've recently had is that the biggest difference on the Niners is David Akers. His foot has won us more games than anything else. Last year we lost 4 games by 3 points or less. Akers could have turned that 6-10 record into 10-6. That's 3 games better than what the Seahags went into the playoffs with.

Harbaugh has made a big difference. Just not the difference I once thought he was making. I'm giving Akers that credit.

I know a team with a HOF QB and who also has the first pick in the draft to take Andrew Luck......:whistling:

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know a team with a HOF QB and who also has the first pick in the draft to take Andrew Luck......:whistling:
Yeah... there's talk about him on some of the Niner forums. It depends on the price tag. I kinda wonder if he'll ever really be able to play again. And even if he does, for how long?

Before this season, Alex had phenominal redzone stats. Now , when he's having a "good" season, his redzone stats stink. WTF???

Members online

Latest posts