Playoff Scenarios

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey you never know. I am not sure if the game is on the line I truly will trust Alex Smith though to win it if it has to be on his arm..

Everyone wants Rodgers/Brees to fight it out for the SB now it seems. I am still on the Niners side though for at least one playoff game. I still love me some Jim Harbaugh but if he wins and goes head to head against GB forget it, sorry Jim. ;)
It's not Alex's arm I worry about but the receivers catching his throws. Vernon Davis dropped a sure TD pass in the yesterday's game.
Crabtree seems to be finding some chemistry with Alex as does a rookie named Williams. He's kinda small but has real soft hands. He could be a break-thru player on our play-off run.(much like Starks was last year for the Pack)

Mississippi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention in the cold in Green Bay, Sean Payton's repaired knee might freeze up and really ache and effect his coaching.

Advantage Packers.

:( Poor Sean. He enunciates swear words better when cussing players and referees than McCarthy though :p

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
It's not Alex's arm I worry about but the receivers catching his throws. Vernon Davis dropped a sure TD pass in the yesterday's game.
Crabtree seems to be finding some chemistry with Alex as does a rookie named Williams. He's kinda small but has real soft hands. He could be a break-thru player on our play-off run.(much like Starks was last year for the Pack)

May want to worry about Patrick Willis more. I think he should be fine but saw he might miss "a little bit of time."

Maybe this is Saints voodoo already in action here.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Hi! ;) Yes I did dream that it was a Saints/Packers NFCCG. And I really think that'll happen. I also think Packers fans worry too much about the Saints though, honestly. If the Packers were visiting the Dome, it might be a different story, but I just don't see the Saints doing well in Lambeau. Those southern boys don't like the cold. The ****ing game in Chicago in '06 still gives me the *******. Hate the Bears, ugh.

Yep that's right, if the Saints had home field, EVERY team in the NFC would be scared to death of them.

I haven't been to the dome in over 10 years, but I know even back then it had magic powers for them to beat the defending Super Bowl champ Rams in the wild card game :D

CarolinaPackerFan

Packers fan in Panthers country
Reaction score
Yep that's right, if the Saints had home field, EVERY team in the NFC would be scared to death of them.

I haven't been to the dome in over 10 years, but I know even back then it had magic powers for them to beat the defending Super Bowl champ Rams in the wild card game :D

Luckily, the Saints at home in a cozy dome and the Saints in Lambeau in 10 degree weather are totally different teams.

Mississippi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Holy smokes. What a game, what a game. And you were actually there? Gosh I can't imagine how much the Dome was rocking.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
May want to worry about Patrick Willis more. I think he should be fine but saw he might miss "a little bit of time."

Maybe this is Saints voodoo already in action here.
Matt Maiocco reported that Patrick Willis' strained hamstring would not require surgery, but that he is expected to miss practice time and probably Sunday's game against the Arizona Cardinals. Adam Schefter followed that up with a tweet that it is a grade two strain on a scale of one to three and that he could "miss a little time."
As long as he's ready for Pittsburg I think we'll be OK.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Holy smokes. What a game, what a game. And you were actually there? Gosh I can't imagine how much the Dome was rocking.

I was at the dome that year, but that particular game. I've been there 4 times (1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 2000) but I haven't seen it in person since the hurricane, they claim it's bigger than it used to be.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that, as long as we keep winning, the 49ers keep winning. That way two things happen: one, the Saints are forced to go to San Francisco in the divisional round, and two, we have more incentive to keep winning instead of turning into the 2009 Colts.

No way the Packers pull an '09 Colts. They need to stay hot and they know it....

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the flip side the Packers O can also rip the Saints D a new one as well. I look at this way. The Saints are scary but usually just in their dome. They can be dangerous on the road but not nearly as much. They are much like the old Colts, the D does not travel and neither does the O in the cold. When the Colts played the Saints in the SB they pretty much were playing their brothers of the NFC.
I still don't trust the Saints on the road. Under Brees have they ever even won a road playoff game?

If they end up SF it will be interesting since the weather will be fine. You know the Niners plan will be to run the ball and run it heavily against the Saints to control TOP and keep Brees off the field. They can't win a shoot out with the Saints. And honestly the Niners can do it if they can play ball control since they have the D to hold the Saints to a few FGs and to limit their run game. The Saints D cannot even come close to what Baltimore did to the Niners O in terms of stopping their run game and limiting the passing game by dominating their o line.

It would not shock me at all right now if the Saints win the WC round in total domination at home then lose a close one in SF. Something tells me the Niners will be in a better spot if they are under looked heavily and they can play the us vs. the world role.

The 9ers aren't going to hold the Saints to a few FGs. I don't care how good their D is, it ain't gonna happen.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I want to see how well the Saints handle Chris Johnson on the road this weekend. Saints are 31st in the league giving up yards per carry at, at 5.1.

The Packers also had no issues it seemed getting decent yardage on the ground vs.the Saints in week 1 with Starks 4.8 ypc and Grant 4.4.

OP
OP
Crazy Packers Fan

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, so now it's official that the Packers have clinched a first-round bye, and now clinching the #1 seed is simple to figure out: either a Packers win or a 49ers loss wraps it up. (On another note, bad loss for the 49ers - could it be that they have peaked?)

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I was not that impressed with NO either today.
Not a great road team.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only obstacle between us and the #1 seed is the Chiefs, and they got destroyed by the Jets 37-10. Of course, the game takes place at Arrowhead, and GB never really plays well against them.

What happened to the 49ers? I thought they were going to crush the Cards.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What happened to the 49ers? I thought they were going to crush the Cards.
Same ol Niner offense... moves the ball great down the field then stalls in the red zone. Had to kick 4 FGs today. Frustrating!!! :(

Akers has been kicking so many FGs for the Niners this year that he's about to break Jerry Rice's record for total points in a season.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The refs play a role in a lot of games Bogie, I still am not impressed though with the Saints on the road, regardless.

I don't think much has changed. People here mostly seemed to think the Saints would be in GB for the title game. Now the Niners lose and they still think the Saints will be in GB for the title game. I don't think there was much change.

Depends. The Niners have a few tough weeks coming up. Steelers at home will be big. But, Ben is banged up vs. a good D and so is Pouncey. Tough game.

Then on a short week going to Seattle won't be a walk in the park either. Seahawks are a different team at home with that noise.

Mississippi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right. Like the last play where the Saints knock two receivers to the ground and got called for neither.

Or when one of the Titans waited until Brees threw the ball before grabbing him by the jersey and throwing him to the ground, which went uncalled?

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Saw the receivers get knocked down, didn't see Brees get knocked down.

And what's worse, not seeing one foul, or not seeing two separate ones in the same play?

Mississippi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did. It was ridiculous that wasn't called, and was one of many bad calls. Bad calls and non calls, I should say, which went both ways, but primarily hurt the Saints.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The refs play a role in a lot of games Bogie, I still am not impressed though with the Saints on the road, regardless.

I don't think much has changed. People here mostly seemed to think the Saints would be in GB for the title game. Now the Niners lose and they still think the Saints will be in GB for the title game. I don't think there was much change.

Depends. The Niners have a few tough weeks coming up. Steelers at home will be big. But, Ben is banged up vs. a good D and so is Pouncey. Tough game.

Then on a short week going to Seattle won't be a walk in the park either. Seahawks are a different team at home with that noise.

I think you should have watched that game. 2 TD's called back, and Locker's touchdown he didn't even cross the plain. Even after the game, people are talking about the Graham touchdown that was called back. That was HORRIBLE officiating. Who ever called that game made the refs in the Patriots/Raiders game form 2002 very proud. I'm still trying to learn how the Graham Touchdown with a knee and 2 feet down was not a TD, but Locker crossing the goal out of bounds is a TD? That was just total BS.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I think you should have watched that game. 2 TD's called back, and Locker's touchdown he didn't even cross the plain. Even after the game, people are talking about the Graham touchdown that was called back. That was HORRIBLE officiating. Who ever called that game made the refs in the Patriots/Raiders game form 2002 very proud. I'm still trying to learn how the Graham Touchdown with a knee and 2 feet down was not a TD, but Locker crossing the goal out of bounds is a TD? That was just total BS.

Honestly, the officiating is not even a real concern to me. I will try to watch it all sometime this week but overall I still don't think the Saints are a great road team and as big a threat outside the dome. Simple as that. I think the Saints are a very good team but I am not going to panic over them either right now. It's probably much how the Pats fans felt about the Colts years back. Yeah they are great, yeah they score a lot, yeah they have receivers, yeah the QB is going to the HOF, but get them in our house in January and they have a good shot at being toast in our house by the end of the game. I KNEW the Colts would lose those playoff games in Foxboro ahead of time. I knew it. I used to try to deny it but it was almost inevitable. The Colts were a dome team with a D that did not travel well and a QB who was his best indoors.

Members online

Latest posts