Packers vs Panthers Studs n Duds

OP
OP
Zartan

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
That seems to be the winner at this point.

I think Grossi lives in Florida, doesn't he? I don't really know that much about him, I just watch his play by play podcasts sometimes when the local stations don't have the Packer game.
He lives in NY State somewhere.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vsee box

300 bucks you get all channels. I watch milwaukee fox 6 from Phoenix
I get everything using a Fire Stick, and $60 a year total for everything. I remember the days when I was paying nearly $750 a year for Sunday Ticket, MLB Pass, and NBA Pass. Had to pay extra for BTN+, and so much more.

Streaming is the only way to go.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary is getting paid to be elite. He needs to remember that elite players don't take games off 3 games in a row. He's disappeared. Not good. I've mentioned on other posts that with Joe Barry as DC, it hard to know if any individual performance is the fault of the player or the DC.However, I don't think it's wise to compare Reggie White and Rashon Gary. One is in the top ten 10 players in NFL history and the other is a second tier pass rusher getting paid to be first tier.1996 was Reggie's second worst season of his career and he still managed to force 3 fumbles and an interception along with 8.5 sacks.
There is a decent chance opponents are double teaming him so other guys should be making plays and they are not.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: Jaire Alexander crashing the crew of selected captains, showing zero respect for coaches and teammates. Then, taking over call of the coin flip without knowing the rules, even as a veteran. (Small credit to MLF for briefing the officials prior to the flip on telling them he wanted to defer.)

Stud: The Packer offense led by Jordan Love for generating the points and productivity needed to win the game.

Other items of interest:
Carrington Valentine did not play or played VERY little (behind Jaire).
JB defensive schemes were 2/3 man, 1/3 zone whereas he normally calls 2/3 zone, 1/3 man.
New staff person on Packer sideline wearing bright yellow hoodie holding up signs for defense. (The one sign had "11" on it.)
I didn't see this but it appears a lot of you thought Alexander was acting like a tool. Is there any way to see a clip of this online?

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
DUD: Packers for barely beating the worst team in the NFL and dropping lower in the draft order as a result. A very unimpressive win in my opinion. I know a W is a W, but the Packers defense once again looked inconsistent, unmotivated and lost. Fire Barry!

Oh boy, the Packers are still in the playoff hunt.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Below are links to the Packers official naming of the captains for the game and a reporter's account of the coin flip with quotes from Ja:

Packers Announce Captains

Packers News Account of Coin Toss
Thanks for posting the links.

Just reading what Alexander said during the flip and then his response, this guy must be a PITA to coach.

On one of the Panthers reverses for big yards, Alexander had a clear tackle and he basically rolled off the guy. I know a lot of you guys like him and were pleased when the Packers gave him a huge second contract, but I'm still so unimpressed with him.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That same year reggie had 8.5 he had 39 combo and 30 solo tackles

Gary has 9 sacks, 39 combo and 21 solo. With 2 to go.

And the comparison can be made to show even the best ever had slow seasons. Or slow stretches.
Reggie was older st the time. He actually could change the game and made players around him better as well. Those sacks in the SB against Bledsole sealed the deal. And in 1993 he nailed Elway several times to preserve a 30-27 win at the end. Such was the legend.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just reading what Alexander said during the flip and then his response, this guy must be a PITA to coach.

On one of the Panthers reverses for big yards, Alexander had a clear tackle and he basically rolled off the guy. I know a lot of you guys like him and were pleased when the Packers gave him a huge second contract, but I'm still so unimpressed with him.
He has not been the same since he took that hit in 2021 against Pittsburgh. And in the 9er playoff he had a chance to go head on with the running back on the final drive but he shied away and it cost us.

Reaction score
I find it concerning (and another reason to ditch Barry) that we are still having communication issues 16 weeks into this season.
Yeah. We get caught beating to our own drummers too often. Not much continuity on Defense. Most of the talent is there but the discipline isn’t. 2-3 position upgraded and a good DC and things would improve quickly.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You know, Pokerbrat2000, I think he's a terrible match for a zone-heavy scheme. It's almost like we draft CBs that are great in man coverage with the idea "we can always teach zone." Well, anyone who's coached youth basketball knows there is a transition until zone is fully grasped. And, it's 100x more difficult teaching zone concepts in football due to the sheer space being covered.

Also, if I have a "shutdown" corner like Ja used to be 2-3 seasons ago, I don't necessarily want him making "business decisions" square-up tackling RBs and TEs. But, right now, Ja isn't shutting anyone down so he better be making tackles.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. We get caught beating to our own drummers too often. Not much continuity on Defense. Most of the talent is there but the discipline isn’t. 2-3 position upgraded and a good DC and things would improve qui
And how is it the Raiders defense single handedly beat Mahommes and the Chiefs today?
Yeah. We get caught beating to our own drummers too often. Not much continuity on Defense. Most of the talent is there but the discipline isn’t. 2-3 position upgraded and a good DC and things would improve quickly.

Reaction score
And how is it the Raiders defense single handedly beat Mahommes and the Chiefs today?

Those guys played as a cohesive unit. That Raiders D scored 2 TD’s. LV Teams missed the XPA. Raiders we’re living in the KC backfield all day.
THe KC OL makes every D look a little better than they are also, including ours

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has not been the same since he took that hit in 2021 against Pittsburgh. And in the 9er playoff he had a chance to go head on with the running back on the final drive but he shied away and it cost us.
I don't know that that shoulder is 100% even to this day. But I strongly suspect he doesn't have any confidence in it.

Reaction score
Best way to bring out the best from Ja? Imo is to draft a premier CB to show him up. Guys like him can’t stand being second tier. Competition is the key.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our 2 recent wins against the Chiefs and Lions weren't as huge as we thought. Beating the Chiefs this season isn't as big as it would be in previous seasons. And the Lions have had some head scratchers, losing to the Bears and getting demolished against the Ravens.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That same year reggie had 8.5 he had 39 combo and 30 solo tackles

Gary has 9 sacks, 39 combo and 21 solo. With 2 to go.

And the comparison can be made to show even the best ever had slow seasons. Or slow stretches.
Gary is in the prime of his career. How old was Reggie in 1996? At least 35. Just saying Gary is getting paid to be elite and is in the prime of his career, not in the waning years. You can't just disappear for stretches of 3 games. While Joe Barry is the biggest problem, Gary needs to understand that disappearing has a terrible ripple effect on this defense.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Gary is in the prime of his career. How old was Reggie in 1996? At least 35. Just saying Gary is getting paid to be elite and is in the prime of his career, not in the waning years. You can't just disappear for stretches of 3 games. While Joe Barry is the biggest problem, Gary needs to understand that disappearing has a terrible ripple effect on this defense.
Next 2 years..32 games he had 27 sacks.

97 - 11 sacks
98 - 16 sacks
So apprently age wasn't an issue

Look.. I agree with you.. But again my point is not every player has great games all the time.

Injuries could be a part.. Opponents doing diff things that Gary isn't used to.

You think it's pathetic..and that's fine. I dont and explained why.

Just have to disagree about our opinions

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He clearly has very little between the ears, and his physical ability has been carrying him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He clearly has very little between the ears, and his physical ability has been carrying him.
I think you are right. While I am fine with players being confident, prove it on the field, not just with your mouth. Sometimes there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance.