1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers vs Bears

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Aaron rodgers is god, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Aaron rodgers is god

Aaron rodgers is god Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +154
    This is a paper I did for my English class. Tell me what you think

Go Pack Go!

The Packers-Bears rivalry first started in 1921, and since then it has been the NFL's longest rivalry. Growing up, I was forced to become a Packers fan if I refused,I would have been considered an outcast (at least during game day). My passion for the Packers has greatly increased as I've gotten older. As a result of this my hatred of the Bears also had to increase. In 2010,Packers find themselves in heated battle for the NFC North division with the Bears. Although the Bears are one game up on the Packers, I feel the Packers are the better team and will prevail to win the NFC North.

The Division Title will come down to the team who does the best over their last four games. Both teams will face tough teams over this span including the most substantial game which occurs in week 17 when both teams play each other. I would have to give the tougher schedule to the Bears because they have yet to play two top AFC powerhouses. Although the Bears play both of these teams at Soldier Field, the most important game against the Packers is played at Lambeau Field.

I'll start by doing a complete breakdown of the offense, defense, and special teams. I'll first start with the offense by comparing each position for both offenses. Both teams have very young talented quarter backs; The Packers have Aaron Rodgers and the Bears have Jay Cutler. Although both players are very athletic and can both make any throw at any time, the biggest difference between the two QBs are their decision making. This is why I give the Packers an edge in the QB position. The next position I will cover is The Running Back position. This position easily favors the Bears. This would be a much closer race if the Packers had their original starting RB, Ryan Grant, who is out for the year with an injury. Next off I will analyze both of the receiving corps. The Bear's receivers have more speed, but this does not always translate into production. Receivers have to be able to run good routes, catch the ball, and make people miss when they do catch the ball. This is where the Packers differ from the Bears and this is what makes the Packer's receivers better. The last and final position for the offense is the offensive line. Both teams struggle heavily in this position, so I will have to give a tie in this spot. Although the Bears have a more balanced offense, offenses are judged by production and this is why I give the Packers the edge in offense as a group.

Next I will compare two of the best defenses in the league. Both defenses are ranked one and two in points allowed. Even though they are similar in defensive production, they have 2 different schemes to work with. The Packers run a 3-4 defense which means they play with three defensive linemen and 4 linebackers, while the Bears play a 4-3 scheme in which they use four defensive linemen and 3 linebackers. It doesn't seem like a drastic change but it makes a big difference in what type of players they need and what they need the players to do. In a 3-4 scheme the pass rush comes from the linebackers while the 4-3 scheme need the pass rush to come from the defensive line. So I'll start by comparing the defensive line. Both these teams have very good D lines but I'd have to give a slight edge to the Bears. Next I'll discuss the linebackers for both teams. Although the Packers have Clay Matthews who is having a great year and who is also being considered a Defensive Player of the Year nominee, I have to give the Bears a very slim edge because they have two pro bowl quality players rather than just one. Finally we get to the secondary. Both teams have good secondaries in which they are able to create turnovers. I have to give the Packers the advantage for their coverage skills. As and overall group I'd have to give the Bears a small advantage.

The final phase of a football team is special teams. Here is where the Bears dominate the Packers in every category. This consists of punting, kicking, and punt and kick return coverage. The Bears have been known for their great special teams for a while.

In conclusion, both these teams are very evenly matched but the Packers are better in the most important position for Football. That is the Quarterback position. This position is so important because it requires leadership. They are the main determining factor in what the output of the game is. Most games are won by the quality of how the QB plays. This is the reason why the Pack will prevail

2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    nice job!

3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    let us know what you get on it

4. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    i remember every year for my final paper in high school i would do it on the packers. i made it freshman year just copying from wikipedia and other various packer sites and making it cohesive. used that same paper all 4 years lol

5. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    Very well done! It's hard to remain objective when comparing and contrasting your team and one of their greatest rivals! Hope you get an A!

6. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Nice job ARiG--if your teacher doesn't give you an A put a tack on her chair.

Have you read "Mudbaths and Bloodbaths-The Inside Story of the Bears-Packers Rivalry" by D'Amato and Christl? Good extra credit book to read.

7. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Bears catch YET ANOTHER break.
    They've had the Dolphins without Brandon Marshall, with their #3 QB.... they had the Panthers early with Clausen's first career start.
    The refs gave them 2 games (including ours), and now the Patriots will be missing their inside linebacker:
    (True, we will catch this same break the weak later I guess, but we had Brandon Marshall to contend with)

Pats' Spikes suspended for rest of regular season Pats' Spikes suspended for rest of regular season - SI.com - NFL

8. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Correct me if I'm wrong here:

Even if the Bears lose this week, and we win, they will still be technically ahead of us for the division title because of their head to head win over us.
    And even if they lose another game, and we win... and move a game ahead of them, they still can beat us in week 17 to tie us up, and will beat us because they will win that tiebreaker #1.

So really, even if we make up 2 games over them over the next 3 weeks before that showdown on January 2nd, it doesn't matter that much because THAT game 17 is for all the marbles almost.

We just must be within 1 game of them before that game.
    Sure, it would be nice if we made up 3 games by then, but for us to go 3-0 and them go 0-3 is astronomically unlikely.
    Bottom line is week 17 is a MUST WIN for us to win the division, and get a possible bye. Damn lucky *** Bears. All year long.

9. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    luck can only get them so far

10. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +420
    But luck has made stupid millionaires in the past. I really hope the Patriots knock it out of them this week.

Edit: Wow the Windy City is getting hit with a major snow storm, probably another stroke of luck for them if they win.

11. Aaron rodgers is god

Aaron rodgers is god Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +154
    I got an A- on this paper my best paper so far :)

12. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Yes. Essentially, over the next three games, the Bears have the luxury of being able to lose two games to us. We can't afford to drop back any. In other words, in all likelihood, for the Packers and Bears, the playoffs start 3 weeks from tomorrow. And the loser might not get a wildcard while the winner will probably get a bye.

The Bears only have to win one of their next 3 games to be guaranteed a playoff spot by beating us.