Packers sign TE Jared Cook

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Very good" in the blocking game is not the point; at least "adequate" is the point. It this guy can't block, it's a problem given that Rodgers is not up to snuff.

When I see posters going over the moon with this signing, I can't help but think they've been corrupted by fantasy football.

The era of the "blocking tight end" is almost extinct. I don't think Jimmy Graham has ever thrown a block in his life. I'll be happy if Cook is a "willing blocker". As long as he gets in the way of a blitzing linebacker, he'll be fine.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
At least this quiets (a bit) the talk that TT never uses the FA market. Could he have signed one more, sure and maybe he still will. But I like the signing for many reasons, one of them being that we aren't going into the draft in desperate need of speed at TE.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Packers officially announce the team has signed Jared Cook:

http://pckrs.com/whgf

Just paging through the pictures attached to that article has me excited. Most of the pictures you see of RR are him and 1-3 defenders around him (no open field). I can't wait to see AR get comfortable with Cook and find him streaking down the middle of the field.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just paging through the pictures attached to that article has me excited. Most of the pictures you see of RR are him and 1-3 defenders around him (no open field). I can't wait to see AR get comfortable with Cook and find him streaking down the middle of the field.

Cook can definitely take it to the house from 80 yards out if he has room.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry you can't appreciate someone taking an objective view of Thompson's moves because you have been blinded by believing he can do no wrong.

Lol Don't put words in my mouth. I'm critical of TT. I just don't think we need to hear you bring it up numerous times like it's going to change anything at this point.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I just don't think we need to hear you bring it up numerous times like it's going to change anything at this point.

There are a ton of posters repeatedly mentioning how Thompson can do no wrong as well.

If we would only discuss topics that would actually change something around here this would be an awfully quiet forum.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
At least this quiets (a bit) the talk that TT never uses the FA market. Could he have signed one more, sure and maybe he still will. But I like the signing for many reasons, one of them being that we aren't going into the draft in desperate need of speed at TE.
No it won't. Street free agents such as Cook don't count to some on this board. Only "true" free agents whose contracts have expired actually count. So, ALAS, this won't be in the + column for Ted and the free agents.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

No it won't. Street free agents such as Cook don't count to some on this board. Only "true" free agents whose contracts have expired actually count. So, ALAS, this won't be in the + column for Ted and the free agents.

I know that it happened before but no reasonable fan would see it this way. As I've said repeatedly it's an even better move because it doesn't factor into the compensatory picks than signing a similar unrestricted free agent.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Although Cook has yet to play a down for the Packers, what has me excited about him are some of the highlight reels I have watched. Reminds my of an even faster Jermichael Finley, 6' 5" and goes up for the ball. Watching him streak down the middle at WR speed and envisioning what he, Jordy and Cobb will open up for AR......I'm happy with this signing.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the guy is on this third team so lets not go nuts about him being a world beater. I hope he works out and gets a longer contract AND that we draft a guy this year. We'll be a lot better off this year than last at least having a guy who can run an NFL offense and isn't crazy slow, but I still think we should go after someone like Tyler Higbee on the third day so that in a few years we'll have a good replacement ready to go. Then again, we still have Kenard Backman...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Although Cook has yet to play a down for the Packers, what has me excited about him are some of the highlight reels I have watched. Reminds my of an even faster Jermichael Finley, 6' 5" and goes up for the ball. Watching him streak down the middle at WR speed and envisioning what he, Jordy and Cobb will open up for AR......I'm happy with this signing.

There's absolutely no denying Cook possesses the athleticism the Packers lacked at the position last season. He not only ran a 4.50 40 at the combine but had a 41 inch vertical as well.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Well, the guy is on this third team so lets not go nuts about him being a world beater. I hope he works out and gets a longer contract AND that we draft a guy this year. We'll be a lot better off this year than last at least having a guy who can run an NFL offense and isn't crazy slow, but I still think we should go after someone like Tyler Higbee on the third day so that in a few years we'll have a good replacement ready to go. Then again, we still have Kenard Backman...

I wouldn't mind adding another tight end in the draft but let's not forget Cook has had mostly crappy QBs throwing him the ball in his career.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, the guy is on this third team so lets not go nuts about him being a world beater.

That is actually part of what has me excited. It's no secret he has played on losing teams with less then stellar QB's. I'm seeing a guy coming to a team tailor made for him to finally go all out. The knocks on him are drops and taking plays off, but I'm hoping being on a winning team and the Packer offense as well as AR will help cure that.

Members online

Latest posts