Packers sign TE Jared Cook

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, I'm happy about this signing. After hearing the contract details, it looks even more solid. Would still like to add a tight end in the mid rounds, someone like higbee would be ideal imo. This is a one year "prove it" deal, but if he proves it too much, might not be able to re-sign him next year haha. At that time, higbee would be ready to step in and take over, with rich being a solid backup.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a huge fan of this deal. Would've much rather spent the money on Dansby.

Sorry but if people got frustrated with Adams dropping the ball it's going to be a long season watching Cook drop some of the passes hes going to.

I get that people are happy about a signing at a perceived need, and he should be an addition to our offense, but I juse don't see Cook as a huge upgrade where as the difference in the middle of our defense if we would've picked up Dansby instead would've been night and day.

I will say the bonus will be is that we're going to be absolutely loaded with comp picks in two years time

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sorry but if people got frustrated with Adams dropping the ball it's going to be a long season watching Cook drop some of the passes hes going to.

I get that people are happy about a signing at a perceived need, and he should be an addition to our offense, but I juse don't see Cook as a huge upgrade where as the difference in the middle of our defense if we would've picked up Dansby instead would've been night and day.

I will say the bonus will be is that we're going to be absolutely loaded with comp picks in two years time
Cook can do things for our offense to alleviate the frustration we have with the drops. Adams can't.

H

HardRightEdge

I wouldn't mind adding another tight end in the draft but let's not forget Cook has had mostly crappy QBs throwing him the ball in his career.
Sure, but he better be able to block and play specials teams.

Cook only took 4 ST snaps last season and Rodgers only took 12% of the Packers ST snaps last season.

So, he has to block because it is needed, and he has to play ST because it's hard to see how you can have 3 TEs on the 45 man game day roster with so little ST contribution.

Why the emphasis on blocking? Because it can be argued that the Packers had a bigger problem with getting the first down on 3rd. and 1 than with TE pass catching productivity. It seems the Packers have not been particularly good at that down-and-distance for a long time, perhaps going back to Ahman Green, but it seems they've really struggled the last 2 seasons in the "Richard Rodgers era".

Last edited by a moderator:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Joseph Stewart

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Cook signs, one less need in the first 4 rounds of the draft. Will be fun to see what Cook can do on a good team, with a FHOF QB.

Now if we hear that Karlos Dansby is on his way to GB.....we can move on to the draft.
That would be a packers fans dream. Going into the draft with 2 major position filled in FA. I'd be planning super bowl party in March.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
That would be a packers fans dream. Going into the draft with 2 major position filled in FA. I'd be planning super bowl party in March.
Settle down a bit. Don't be going all Viking fan crazy on us. Around here we don't celebrate perceptually winning the off season. We wait until the Lombardi's are on their way to the trophy case.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Cook is a GREAT signing for the Packers...when you view it from the proper perspective.

What perspective? Well, simply that Cook is replacing a completely washed-up Quarless. Going from Quarless to Cook is a huge upgrade.

Quarless in six seasons amassed 940 yards with six TD's. Compare that to Cook's 3,503 yards with 16 TD's in seven seasons. Quarless had Rodgers at QB, Cook had nothing. Granted, Quarless was behind Finley for some of that time, but, the numbers tell a story.

As for blocking, Quarless never could block after his injury that cost him the entire 2012 season. He lost his power and just couldn't get any push in the run game anymore.

Also, Cook has been extremely durable, only missing five games in his seven seasons. Quarless missed 36 games in his six seasons.

This is all positive so far as I can see.

Sky King

Reaction score
The TE acquisition is just what some posters around here, myself included, had hoped that TT might deliver all along. It's not a blockbuster acquisition since he's not one of the prized names in the FA talent pool. He didn't need to be and he won't be paid like it. But Cook clearly fills a need. He does not possess the complete skill-set of the perfect TE. But who does? He does provide something important (speed) to the position and lacking for a few seasons. He has quality NFL experience. He shouldn't need to be spoon-fed. And TT will not have to reach for a TE early.

So Cook's value lies in the eclectic nature of this latest rendition of the Packer offense. His presence also allows another TE time to learn this complicated offense - something not usually mastered by any rookie receiver. And he's not a replacement for Rodgers but a complement to him. He replaces Quarless, Backman, or Perillo. Take your pick. My guess is that it will be Quarless who's gone with Perillo going to the practice squad as the buffer against injuries later. Henry may be in the mix, too. Maybe they end up keeping the best blocker of the remaining bunch on the 53 to complement both Rodgers and Cook, with the next-best overall going to the practice squad as insurance.

Another guess is that TT goes big in the draft early and often, as in interior linemen to replace Raji, Pennell, and probably Barclay. With a draft alleged to be deepest with interior linemen, TT probably needs to take full advantage of the existing circumstances. If Ragland manages to be there at #27 TT could have a really good problem on his hands. And if TT acquires another ILB before the draft he may not need to draft one that early. If not, then he truly could go BAP all the way, especially early. Wouldn't that be nice?

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Career highlight video right here:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This dude can kind of ball. This is a good signing.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The knocks on him are drops and taking plays off, but I'm hoping being on a winning team and the Packer offense as well as AR will help cure that.

Cook will for sure have to work ******* cutting down on his drops. I'm not sure playing with Rodgers will automatically make that happen but hopefully Angelichio can help him improve in that category.

Cook addresses the need of an athletic tight end capable of stretching the field. I would like the Packers to add a coverage inside linebacker as well but that doesn't change this move being extremely solid.

Why the emphasis on blocking? Because it can be argued that the Packers had a bigger problem with getting the first down on 3rd. and 1 than with TE pass catching productivity. It seems the Packers have not been particularly good at that down-and-distance for a long time, perhaps going back to Ahman Green, but it seems they've really struggled the last 2 seasons in the "Richard Rodgers era".

I agree on the Packers needing a tight end capable of playing special teams, re-signing Kuhn could negate the need for a blocking one though.

Here's an interesting take from Football Outsiders on teams using the wrong play way too often in 3rd- or 4th-and-short situations:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/2015-short-yardage-results

Another guess is that TT goes big in the draft early and often, as in interior linemen to replace Raji, Pennell, and probably Barclay. With a draft alleged to be deepest with interior linemen, TT probably needs to take full advantage of the existing circumstances. If Ragland manages to be there at #27 TT could have a really good problem on his hands. And if TT acquires another ILB before the draft he may not need to draft one that early. If not, then he truly could go BAP all the way, especially early. Wouldn't that be nice?

There's no denying the Packers should add some talent on the defensive line in this year's draft but the inside linebacker position is still in need of a major upgrade which should be addressed early in the draft.

On the other hand I don't feel the need to draft an offensive lineman before the fourth round. While the team is in need of depth at both tackle spots there's no need to get a starter.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how his entire career stacks up, but according to this, last season cook was:
Targeted 75 times, caught 39 and only dropped 4 for a drop rate of 5.3%. That's not too shabby at all imo. Maybe his drops are a bit overblown because he has a tendency to drop easy ones or wide open ones and those are easier to critique? I dunno.
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure how his entire career stacks up, but according to this, last season cook was:
Targeted 75 times, caught 39 and only dropped 4 for a drop rate of 5.3%. That's not too shabby at all imo. Maybe his drops are a bit overblown because he has a tendency to drop easy ones or wide open ones and those are easier to critique? I dunno.
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/

I saw that chart as well but I don't agree with their way to come up with the drop rate. According to them Cook had four drops to along with 39 receptions. I don't care what happened on the 32 other balls thrown his way they deemed uncatchable, to me that equates to a drop rate of 9.3% (four of 43 catchable).

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cook is in the best situation he's ever been in in regards to QB, coaching, and contending team. His attitude seems to be great, he's saying all the right things. Maybe this will be the year his play matches his ability.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts