Packers sign TE Jared Cook

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
H

HardRightEdge

I agree, the article I posted was confusing, due to the title. But I think if you read between the lines and look at other articles, the general feeling is that Cook has not blocked particularly well. The things I read about him all seem to point to a guy with the physical talent, but has lacked the inner drive to take it to the next step. Let's hope the Packers can help Cook perform up to his potential. I think even Cook must have felt the Packers offense just might be that perfect fit for him to do so.
If it is actually the case that Cook has not been up to snuff in his blocking, the idea that can be changed in his 8th. year in the league doesn't even qualify as wishful thinking.

Frankly, I have not seen enough of him to judge whether he is or is not an adequate blocker.

My point is that if he isn't there will be a downside to this signing that may not be properly appreciated.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's rare to find a TE who's both very good in the receiving game and as a blocker. For me, if it comes down to one or the other, especially in this offence, I'd prefer the weapon in the passing game.

Reaction score
So now I'm seeing 2.75 m base and the rest incentives?? Of course not knowing what the levels he needs to hit to get the incentive salary but obviously would love for him to blow it up and do great but even if he does still a decent deal but at 2.75 base I like it even more.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This board can be so depressing with its negativity. Of course Cook isnt a sure thing but he was one of the top 5 TEs available. He didnt cost anything near Fleener, Gates wasnt going anywhere other than SD, Gresham didnt fit GB's needs since he is strictly a blocking TE at this point, etc. Apparently if the team didnt sign Green there was no TE worth signing. Cook was probably the 2nd or 3rd best fit for the Packers and GB got him on a very reasonable deal with no long term risk. TT is an idiot

H

HardRightEdge

It's rare to find a TE who's both very good in the receiving game and as a blocker. For me, if it comes down to one or the other, especially in this offence, I'd prefer the weapon in the passing game.
"Very good" in the blocking game is not the point; at least "adequate" is the point. It this guy can't block, it's a problem given that Rodgers is not up to snuff.

When I see posters going over the moon with this signing, I can't help but think they've been corrupted by fantasy football.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So now I'm seeing 2.75 m base and the rest incentives?? Of course not knowing what the levels he needs to hit to get the incentive salary but obviously would love for him to blow it up and do great but even if he does still a decent deal but at 2.75 base I like it even more.

I saw the same thing:

"Packers signed Jared Cook, formerly of the Rams, to a one-year, $2.75 million contract.
Another $900,000 is available via incentives."

Even better IMO.

As far as whether Cook can or can't block, for the price we got him for, I think it was a very good pick-up. Doesn't cost us a compensatory pick, not a big Cap hit, but most importantly, gives us the speed we were all screaming for at the TE position. Our run game wasn't pathetically bad (12th in NFL) with RR in there, I can't see Cook doing much worse. Plus, with the "new look Lacy", an improved receiving TE IMO is more important then a blocking one.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Very good" in the blocking game is not the point; at least "adequate" is the point. It this guy can't block, it's a problem given that Rodgers is not up to snuff.

When I see posters going over the moon with this signing, I can't help but think they've been corrupted by fantasy football.

How dare you not give props to Madden??? ;)

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I'll respond with the reasoning...

1.) Cook's deal is a 1 year deal allowing the Packers to re-assess after this season with a mountain of our own free agents to sign.
2.) Cook v. Green last 2 years...
Cook – 91 catches (174 tgts) 1115 yds 12.3 ypc & 3 TD’s
Green – 56 catches (86 tgts) 65 yds 11.8 ypc 4 TD’s
****PLEASE READ***** Yes I'm fully aware Green played behind a HOF TE during the duration of time to which I pulled these stats. This is simply to illustrate that Ted paid what I would call fair market value for a TE with the #'s he has while Pittsburgh is paying for the upside. MUCH like the Rams did a few years ago with the TE the Packers just signed **********
3.) As other's have pointed out, if Cook is terrible this year he's gone after this year free and clear. If he's good then he is added to the list of potential in house free agents to re-sign. If Green is terrible this year, sure Pitt could cut him but then take on some salary cap implications

Does that clear the *FACEPALM* up a bit?

Sure. Though I'm not real clear on why you're giving so little weight to the whole "he played behind a HOFTE" element. Seems like that should be given quite a bit more weight.

Cook...established, underperforming TE pretty much his entire career. Green, tons of upside and has shown flashes of ability in the opportunities he's been given (limited due to playing behind Gates). Also, why is it just passed off as no big deal that the Packers will be right back in the same spot they were in at TE if Cook does well? One year deal's are great for a guy like Cook that needs the motivation but aren't exactly a long-term solution.

Oh, and thank you for explaining...hard to conversate with Internet gestures.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure. Though I'm not real clear on why you're giving so little weight to the whole "he played behind a HOFTE" element. Seems like that should be given quite a bit more weight.

Cook...established, underperforming TE pretty much his entire career. Green, tons of upside and has shown flashes of ability in the opportunities he's been given (limited due to playing behind Gates). Also, why is it just passed off as no big deal that the Packers will be right back in the same spot they were in at TE if Cook does well? One year deal's are great for a guy like Cook that needs the motivation but aren't exactly a long-term solution.

Oh, and thank you for explaining...hard to conversate with Internet gestures.

Then the quality of QB's Cook has played with should as well. Like I said, that was simply to illustrate what Pittsburgh paid for Green (Upside) vs. what we paid for Cook (market value for a TE with his stats)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With all players, you have to keep in mind there are 2 sides to the negotiations. I am guessing Cook's agent was hoping for a longer term deal worth more guaranteed money. But given Cooks last contract with the Rams: 5 years, Total Value: $35,100,000 (avg. $7,020,000/year; $16,000,000 fully guaranteed) and how he under performed, TT was smart not to get tied into such a long term deal, even at lower numbers. Bottom line, Cook settled for a reasonable offer from a good team, with an excellent QB that he will be able to prove himself or not cash strap another team with. A win-win for both sides IMO.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really. Green, when given a chance, has looked better than Cook, who has been given TONS of chances.

Has Cook been given chances with Philip Rivers?

I wanted the Packers to make a run at Green but man some on this board overvalue him. 1 game over 53 yards all of last year! Less yards per catch than Cook. I like Green's upside but his production when Gates was out of the lineup is pretty run of the mill and was really poor when Gates was back. Over the last 7 games he had 11 catches on 27 targets. He was getting looks and not producing a ton. Green had a lot of risk (injuries, small sample) and not a ton of production. He would have been a nice fit and I think he succeeds in Pitt but I also think Cook is a nice fit and will succeed in GB. But for both I think it more has to do with their qbs and opportunities than being really good TEs

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Here are the details of Cook's deal: $1.425 million base salary, $825K signing bonus, $475K roster bonus and $25K workout bonus. In addition he can earn another $900K in incentives. With them probably being unlikely to earn his cap hit will be $2.75 million.

I'm excited Thompson addressed the need of a tight end capable of stretching the field and the deal seems to be reasonable as well.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Regarding Cook's blocking PFF graded him with a 73.9 in run blocking as well as a 49.7 in pass protection last season.

As a comparison they had Rodgers rated lower in both categories (49.3 run, 45.5 pass).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We are going to see a team with quite a few players looking for paydays at the end of 2016!
  1. Lacy
  2. Sitton
  3. Lang
  4. Perry
  5. Jones
  6. Bahk
  7. Hyde
  8. Tretter
  9. Barrington
  10. Cook
We are going to have one highly motivated hungry team!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are going to see a team with quite a few players looking for paydays at the end of 2016!
  1. Lacy
  2. Sitton
  3. Lang
  4. Perry
  5. Jones
  6. Bahk
  7. Hyde
  8. Tretter
  9. Barrington
  10. Cook
We are going to have one highly motivated hungry team!

It seems no matter how well you manage the cap, sooner or later it's still going to get some punches in on you.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing to take into consideration, is that our new TE coach also coached Cook at one point and time, didn't he? So there is some familiarity there.
I believe that we got our RB coach from St. Louis, not TE coach. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If the plan is to run more double-tight end sets with Rodgers paving the way for Lacy and Cook occupying the middle while Jordy stretches the safeties deep.....I'll be happy.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I believe that we got our RB coach from St. Louis, not TE coach. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're correct. Angelichio worked the last two season as the Browns tight ends coach after holding the same position for the Buccaneers from 2012-13.

The Packers new RB coach, Ben Sirmans, worked for the Rams over the last four seasons.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...ortunity-worked-into-cooks-contract/82344702/
USA TODAY’s Tom Pelissero reported that the Packers originally offered Cook a two-year deal, but the sides instead agreed on a one-year pact that gives him another chance to seek a long-term deal next offseason if everything should go well in 2016.
So it's really the other way around. You have to like a guy that is so motivated to make money that he'd rather take the short deal. He wasn't out of options, the guy is going to work his tail off to get paid.

Members online

Latest posts