Packers sign TE Jared Cook

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Needs to clean up the drops because that will put him in the doghouse real quick. He's been relatively healthy hasn't he?

If Cook does sign, his past drops don't worry me that much, given the teams (Rams and Titans) and QB's he was playing with. I'm actually excited about Cook, sure he could end up being a complete waste, but new team, AR throwing to you, a chance to jump start your career....Cook may come out flying high to prove himself.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now i'd like to see us stack up on the DL and LB positions in the draft. Draft 2-3 DL and 2-3 LB's and then use the rest on whatever. Maybe a RB, WR, another TE and some OL.

I bet we go into the draft looking to improve the pass rush too.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I still hold to my criticisms of TT, especially this off season, I give TT two thumbs up for this move.
Even if we look back after this season as it not working out, I will still give TT two thumbs up.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now i'd like to see us stack up on the DL and ILB positions in the draft. Draft 2-3 DL and 1-2 ILB's and then use the rest on whatever. Maybe a RB, WR and some OL.

I see TT getting a OL in first 3 rounds and maybe a flier 4th-7th with knowing we won't hang on to all 3 Sitton/Lang/Bakh. I also expect a DL choice in the first 3 as well, this draft is very big man up front friendly.

The pivotal question is do we get an athletic ILB capable of filling that void...I don't see it, but I pray I am proven wrong.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all about this as long as Cook can get his drops and attitude under control. Definitely leaves us more options now in the draft.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something I noticed in the ESPN article is it says he "opted" to join GB over Carolina and Atlanta.. I LIKE THAT!!!!! Somebody who wants to be somewhere could lead to good things.

Honestly, if I had my pic to play with Rodgers, Newton, and Ryan, I'd pick Rodgers too lol.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Cook does sign, his past drops don't worry me that much, given the teams (Rams and Titans) and QB's he was playing with. I'm actually excited about Cook, sure he could end up being a complete waste, but new team, AR throwing to you, a chance to jump start your career....Cook may come out flying high to prove himself.

I can see Rodgers making Cook a top 5 fantasy TE. Cook has the ability.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see Rodgers making Cook a top 5 fantasy TE. Cook has the ability.

I don't quite see that...but definitely has the ability...no denying that. However, if Lacy is back in shape, Nelson back outside and RR will take some of his redzone action (he is good there).

I would love to say we have a Top 10 TE again...hope Cook makes that happen.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't let the drops concern you fellas too much...we used to say the same thing about James Jones...it could get better with his best QB ever throwing to him now.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Ian Rapoport reports Cook's deal is for one year, no informations on the money yet.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport reports Cook's deal is for one year, no informations on the money yet.

That sucks...but makes sense. He plays terrible it saves maybe some cash otherwise not there for our big resignings next year. If we find our future guards this year (on roster or drafted) and Cook plays well I could see TT ponying up some cash on a 2 or 3 year contract next year (since then he'd be one of our own haha).

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ladarius Green gets 4yrs/$20 million and the Packers settle on Jared Cook for $3.6 million...I'm gonna be real curious whether saving that $1.4 million is gonna be worth it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Cook will be the first outside veteran the Packers have signed on offense during FA period since Matthew Mulligan 4/7/13.

Mulligan was also a TE, lets hope we don't need a "Mulligan" after this Cook signing. :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ladarius Green gets 4yrs/$20 million and the Packers settle on Jared Cook for $3.6 million...I'm gonna be real curious whether saving that $1.4 million is gonna be worth it.

Had Green just signed a 1 year contract at $5M/year with the same guarantees as Cook, I would agree with you. But guessing (without looking) Green's contract has more guarantees. I'm fine with a one year prove it deal with Cook.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saving the $1.4 million but also the extra years on the contract. Ted will pay him if he succeeds in McCarthy's system.

How are Jared's blocking skills. We need somebody to help open holes for Eddie Lacy. We don't need a guy like Finley who just stood up and danced with the defensive ends and OLBs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Saving the $1.4 million but also the extra years on the contract. Ted will pay him if he succeeds in McCarthy's system.

How are Jared's blocking skills. We need somebody to help open holes for Eddie Lacy. We don't need a guy like Finley who just stood up and danced with the defensive ends and OLBs.

Older article, but this is how one reporter felt about Cook's blocking skills:

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/11/7/7173233/jared-cook-is-the-nfl-s-most-elite-blocking-tight-end

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts