Packers release Hawk

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt TT takes two ILBs that high. It's unlikely two will be at the top of the board within a couple picks. Even if he decided to target both, it would be hard to position himself to get exactly the two guys he wanted at the right spot.

Also, Barrington showed enough that TT will not give up on him already.

Thanks Carl, I was just going to say this. I think with all the hype around Anthony right now he's moved into the top half of the second round with a good chance of being a fringe first round due to the lack of talent at the position. I'm not even sure Perryman makes it to #30.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That 06 draft I thought going in would be pretty legendary, but looking back it was fairly week. If we had a do over pick there are only a few guys I would have liked for us to take over Hawk in the 1st round. Ngata seems to be the best pick of the round arguably.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so doesn't this pretty much solidify the fact that Thompson will have to go after an ILB in free agency? I mean the Packers can't possibly go into next season with Barrington and an average rookie inside linebacker, can they?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That 06 draft I thought going in would be pretty legendary, but looking back it was fairly week. If we had a do over pick there are only a few guys I would have liked for us to take over Hawk in the 1st round. Ngata seems to be the best pick of the round arguably.

Come on, we should have picked Cutler!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so doesn't this pretty much solidify the fact that Thompson will have to go after an ILB in free agency? I mean the Packers can't possibly go into next season with Barrington and an average rookie inside linebacker, can they?

It does. We'll definitely have two new ILB's on our roster.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

From the man himself
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

By the way, Greg Jennings if you ever get to see this, THAT is how you leave a team. With dignity and gratitude to the organisation. A.J. went up further in my estimation after this.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I love what TT is doing this off season.. Time to get fast and mean in the middle. Barrington can play. Im thinking doubling up at ILB in the draft.

Denzel. Denzel. Denzel...

While I would be OK (not excited) with Barrington being a starter there´s no way he should be partnered with Perryman at ILB. Anthony is a fast guy but he would still need a lot of work in coverage.

As I´ve said repeatedly the best move for the Packers would be to draft Eric Kendricks as he´s the best available three down inside LB capable of covering RBs and TEs. Another thing to consider is that there´s no free agent available meeting the aforementioned requirements.

IMO if the 49ers put Patrick Willis on the trading block Thompson has to take a hard look at acquiring him, even if that means to give up one of those high coveted draft picks.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
While I would be OK (not excited) with Barrington being a starter there´s no way he should be partnered with Perryman at ILB. Anthony is a fast guy but he would still need a lot of work in coverage.

As I´ve said repeatedly the best move for the Packers would be to draft Eric Kendricks as he´s the best available three down inside LB capable of covering RBs and TEs. Another thing to consider is that there´s no free agent available meeting the aforementioned requirements.

IMO if the 49ers put Patrick Willis on the trading block Thompson has to take a hard look at acquiring him, even if that means to give up one of those high coveted draft picks.

No way. If they pony up on Kendricks over Perryman I will literally vomit. Kendricks is nothing more then a nickel LB in the NFL. Maybe 3rd round value. He is a big safety. I like his instincts but I believe a reach.

I would be all over Willis if TT pulled a move like that.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

No way. If they pony up on Kendricks over Perryman I will literally vomit. Kendricks is nothing more then a nickel LB in the NFL. Maybe 3rd round value. He is a big safety. I like his instincts but I believe a reach.

Kendricks is the most complete ILB in this year´s draft. You won´t see a lot of jarring hits from him but he´s a sure tackler and he can cover RBs and TEs.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need one of our inside guys to be able to cover. Barrington seems to be more of the thumper variety like Bishop was. At least I am no longer mystified (see the ...release Brad Jones thread.)

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Kendricks is the most complete ILB in this year´s draft. You won´t see a lot of jarring hits from him but he´s a sure tackler and he can cover RBs and TEs.

I've watched a lot of Kendricks and I am not talking about jarring hits. He won't hold up against the run. Don't get me wrong I really like his instincts. He can make plays in coverage. He will get smashed against the run in the NFL. He is a coverage LB in the NFL.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perryman scouting report for what its worth:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1860814/denzel-perryman

"Good burst and lower-body flexibility. Picks up routes quickly. Smooth hips to hitch himself to a crossing route and maintain stride-for-stride coverage on slot receivers. Durable...."

"His skill set and physical makeup suggest he'd be best suited to play inside at the next level, but Perryman is not just an in-the-box defender. He has the athleticism and awareness to remain on the field on passing downs..."

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not like his height, and think that he may get lost inside against bigger blockers, but from the aggressiveness, and instincts, cant ask for a whole lot more from an ILB in this draft.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I Love his height. He plays low to the ground and gets underneath people. He is always under control and bursts to the point of attack. He has very little wasted steps. Perryman was misused in Miami's defense and is suited to play 3-4 ILB. If TT passes up on Perryman to scoop up the "glorified safety" Kendricks I will pass out.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"Good burst and lower-body flexibility. Picks up routes quickly. Smooth hips to hitch himself to a crossing route and maintain stride-for-stride coverage on slot receivers. Durable...."

"His skill set and physical makeup suggest he'd be best suited to play inside at the next level, but Perryman is not just an in-the-box defender. He has the athleticism and awareness to remain on the field on passing downs..."

Maybe I should be a scout, that's exactly what I thought when I watched him without ever reading a scouting report.

Then again, I didn't think Lacy would amount to much when we picked him. LOL

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I just can't believe people are comparing Perryman to Kendricks. It's not even close. I will take the little Perryman gives up in coverage versus Kendricks for all the other things he does that much better. I am also tired of some people saying Perryman can't cover. Someone please show me some tape where he is getting beat in coverage consistently.

I have watched almost every game Perryman played in last season. The only thing I saw he is guilty of is not catching the ball when having a chance to make a pick.

Another thing: Perryman runs 4.7 with a nice "10 yard split". I guarantee that's faster then Hawk was last year by about a half second. People get to into 40 times when it's a 5-10 yard game when playing inside like an ILB.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Trade back and get both Perryman and Anthony. Add a vet. Problem fixed.

This is assuming Peppers stays and all the other key guys are re-sigbed.
As in most years, I like the idea of trading back 10-15 slots. Having two second and two third round picks would be nice if it fits well in the Packers board.
Unless a Clay Matthews impact type of player is still on the board at 30, move back and get the extra pick that will also be a contributor. It's better for the salary cap too.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Here´s the NFL´s scouting report on Perryman:

STRENGTHS

Burly, stout, old-school linebacker build. Wants to hit and brings his pads with him when he delivers a blow. Delivers a jarring punch into oncoming offensive linemen on second level. Defends his area of turf and sees past blockers, keeping his eye trained on the play. Is able to disengage and shed blockers. Plays low and with leverage. Once he diagnoses, can trigger into gaps and disrupt. Expected to be productive special-teams player at the next level.

WEAKNESSES

Not a twitchy athlete. Takes time to gear up after changing directions and can struggle to tackle jitterbug runners in space. Heavy-legged mover in space and struggles to make plays outside of his assigned area. Lacks coverage traits and is a liability in man coverage. Short levers won't allow him to leverage blockers as a pass rusher. Slow to get off his spot and burst laterally, which causes him to miss some tackle opportunities.

SOURCES TELL US

"He's physical and plays angry at the point of attack. He's the type of guy you like having on your team because he brings toughness to practice. He's going to lay the wood to ball carriers when he gets a chance but college teams were already finding ways to go after him in the passing game." -- AFC East regional scout

"I have a little higher grade on Perryman than I probably should, but we like thumpers and badasses inside and he's both." -- AFC director of scouting

NFL COMPARISON
D'Qwell Jackson

BOTTOM LINE

Early down linebacker who can make plays against the run but will struggle if isolated in coverage. Perryman is a lunch-pail worker who enjoys the physical part of the game. Can be a highly productive NFL player but ceiling looks to be limited.

CBS Sports (where you´ve got the more positive scouting report from) has Perryman ranked 74th overall and as the 3rd best ILB, 37 spots behind Eric Kendricks.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Here´s the NFL´s scouting report on Perryman:

STRENGTHS

Burly, stout, old-school linebacker build. Wants to hit and brings his pads with him when he delivers a blow. Delivers a jarring punch into oncoming offensive linemen on second level. Defends his area of turf and sees past blockers, keeping his eye trained on the play. Is able to disengage and shed blockers. Plays low and with leverage. Once he diagnoses, can trigger into gaps and disrupt. Expected to be productive special-teams player at the next level.

WEAKNESSES

Not a twitchy athlete. Takes time to gear up after changing directions and can struggle to tackle jitterbug runners in space. Heavy-legged mover in space and struggles to make plays outside of his assigned area. Lacks coverage traits and is a liability in man coverage. Short levers won't allow him to leverage blockers as a pass rusher. Slow to get off his spot and burst laterally, which causes him to miss some tackle opportunities.

SOURCES TELL US

"He's physical and plays angry at the point of attack. He's the type of guy you like having on your team because he brings toughness to practice. He's going to lay the wood to ball carriers when he gets a chance but college teams were already finding ways to go after him in the passing game." -- AFC East regional scout

"I have a little higher grade on Perryman than I probably should, but we like thumpers and badasses inside and he's both." -- AFC director of scouting

NFL COMPARISON
D'Qwell Jackson

BOTTOM LINE

Early down linebacker who can make plays against the run but will struggle if isolated in coverage. Perryman is a lunch-pail worker who enjoys the physical part of the game. Can be a highly productive NFL player but ceiling looks to be limited.

CBS Sports (where you´ve got the more positive scouting report from) has Perryman ranked 74th overall and as the 3rd best ILB, 37 spots behind Eric Kendricks.

Thank god CBS sports isn't drafting for us. Isn't our biggest problem on 1st and 2nd down against the run and having to plug Clay in the middle?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well, oddly enough you liked their scouting report on Perryman enough to rate with a thumbs up.

No, I watch film. I have seen both play in several games. I can't change your mind on Perryman but you will never change my mind on Kendricks. I like Kendricks instincts but he will get mowed on 1st and 2nd down in a 3-4. I don't see using a high draft pick on a coverage LB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what linebacker isn't a liability in man coverage? when you weigh 240+ your job isn't that of a DB. and I disagree about him being "heavy legged" and having trouble against jittery runners? Maybe I guess, but from the videos I saw, he gathers himself better than any other guys i've seen this year and just makes a tackle. He has very good instincts and technique when it comes to breaking down and making a tackle

Members online

Latest posts