Packers release Hawk

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Hawk. Bought a Hawk jersey for my daughter when he was a rookie. But time to go.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Wont lie I thought Hawk would be back. While I don't know if Hawk ever lived up to a number 5 pick in the 1st round he was reliable for almost a decade. Wish Hawk the best in his NFL future.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only question becomes who? Hate to lean on high draft pick on this one as I think this year is a lean one at ilb in upper rounds.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It helps.

I didn't think that they would let him go, but apparently his ankle injury wasn't the main reason for his decline. Thanks for the good years AJ and good luck. You lasted much longer in the NFL than your brother-in-law!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only question becomes who? Hate to lean on high draft pick on this one as I think this year is a lean one at ilb in upper rounds.

Brandon Spikes? David Harris? Bruce Carter?

But yeah, honestly, I see us signing a FA ILB now.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easily the most overpaid Packer the past decade.

Have heard the excuses for years that it was not Hawk's fault he was drafted #5 overall and thus received such a huge contract. It certainly wasn't his fault. Nor was it AJ's fault, that TT paid him a ridiculous amount of money on a 2nd contract that (1) had to be reduced and (2) Hawk never completed.

No, the only thing Hawk can be faulted for is having 6th round talent when he was paid like a top 5 pick.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Despite what they plan to do in FA or the Draft for ILB this move seems to put a lot of trust in Barrington

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was obvious his time had come, but I have nothing but respect for the guy. A true team player, kept his mouth shut and stepped onto the field every week to give what he had.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easily the most overpaid Packer the past decade.

Have heard the excuses for years that it was not Hawk's fault he was drafted #5 overall and thus received such a huge contract. It certainly wasn't his fault. Nor was it AJ's fault, that TT paid him a ridiculous amount of money on a 2nd contract that (1) had to be reduced and (2) Hawk never completed.

No, the only thing Hawk can be faulted for is having 6th round talent when he was paid like a top 5 pick.

Sorry maybe I'm an idiot but how is this Hawk's fault?

The move needed to be done, I hold no ill will towards him and wish him the best. He was a great Packer, maybe not the most physically gifted but a great guy from all accounts and definitely Packer people.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Despite what they plan to do in FA or the Draft for ILB this move seems to put a lot of trust in Barrington

I like Barrington. He showed a lot of fire and leadership honestly. Plus hes young.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think at this point, they're as likely to keep matthews in the middle and go heavy on OLB's this draft as they are to bring in a bunch of ILB's. Not sure which way they'll go, but i'm fine with either

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we are able to lock up Cobb and bulaga, I'm willing to see what can be done at ilb. It was obvious hawk wasn't long for the spot at this point, so even if not today, they were looking anyway with the personnel moves of 2014

Hoping that if we are unable to lock up one or the other, my hope is we look for a quality fa at ilb, and draft at wr and tackle.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers need to get ILB, they absolutely need to get Clay out of the middle. It was a great stop gap but he should not be a middle linebacker.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I guess that answers the question whether I was right about a team being allowed to release an injured player.
I was just about to completely agree with you on that!! ;)

ILB is looking like safety last off season as McCarthy mentioned. At the very least I'd like to see an ILB picked in the first three rounds (perhaps another later in the draft) and an "adequate" vet signed for insurance.

While I'm glad they made this move, I join the chorus thanking Hawk for his service. It was not his fault he was drafted where he was and it was not his fault he was offered and signed those contracts. I don't believe he ever came close to holding out and he did agree to a reduction in salary. As far as I know Hawk gave it his all - that's all that's fair to ask IMO.

Check the video above - very, very classy exit by AJ.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I was a big fan of A J Hawk. I wish him all the very best for his future in the NFL. Thanks for your efforts.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts