Packers release Hawk

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I love what TT is doing this off season.. Time to get fast and mean in the middle. Barrington can play. Im thinking doubling up at ILB in the draft.

Denzel. Denzel. Denzel..

H

HardRightEdge

Good...if Thompson brings in a quality vet ILB free agent. It does not have to be a budget buster. The position group needs one vet presence, be it part time, full time, or for depth. If he waits until after the draft, he may not get his rookie player there and by then the available vet players will be picked over.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Good...if Thompson brings in a quality vet ILB free agent. It does not have to be a budget buster. The position group needs one vet presence, be it part time, full time, or for depth. If he waits until after the draft, he may not get his player there and by then the available players will be picked over.

Perryman will be there in first.

H

HardRightEdge

Joe Thomas. He is on the roster. I say draft two. I'm sure a free agent will be brought in as you mentioned.
Thomas is a tweener...not fast enough to be a reliable coverage guy, not big enough to thump. He's never taken a snap. We don't even know if he's an NFL player. At this point, he's on the bubble to even make the team.

You're being a little cavalier with my championship ambitions. ;)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was the most likely player I yelled at during a game, but I will say he was classy.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if everyone will be as kind when bush doesn't get resigned
They should. He was always a guy that should have been 5th on the depth chart and was an absolute special teams standout for a long time. Some expected him to be Charles Woodson, but he was a guy that was supposed to be the special teams ace, he was, and a guy that should have just been a "depth" guy in the defensive backfield that was pushed into pretty active duty because of injuries and failures of the guys picked to be in front of him.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Thomas is a tweener...not fast enough to be a reliable coverage guy, not big enough to thump. He's never taken a snap. We don't even know if he's an NFL player. At this point, he's on the bubble to even make the team.

You're being a little cavalier with my championship ambitions. ;)

Thomas is a legitimate 4.6 guy. I think he ran 4.58 at his pro day. He was killin it in camp in nickle package before he got hurt. He can play. I agree they should get another guy via free agency.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I wonder if everyone will be as kind when bush doesn't get resigned
McCarthy wants more vets on special teams, not less. I would not be surprised to see him back.

Then there's Kuhn. Another instance of a guy with leverage due to lack of depth behind him. The Packers don't need a blocking fullback if they have a legit H-back blocker, which they do not. Add another need position in the mid-to-late rounds if Kuhn's not re-signed at the risk of getting a lot less than Kuhn's very good performance in the back half of the season..

To paraphrase Everett Dirkson, a million here, a million there, pretty soon it adds up to real money.

For all the draftees and rookie free agents Thompson has brought in over the last few years, an insufficient number have proved up to provide the needed depth on a draft-and-develop team.

H

HardRightEdge

Thomas is a legitimate 4.6 guy. He was killin it in camp in nickle package before he got hurt. He can play. I agree they should get another guy via free agency.
He ran 4.7 at his Combine. You might as well have Barrington continue in the coverage role. He's about that fast.

Correction: That was 4.70 at his Pro Day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finally! Even the casual fan could see that Hawk and Jones couldn't get it done. Hawk just didn't have the burst to close quick enough. He tackled guys way way too often 5-8 yds downfield. Like Ha Ha taking over at safety, the new person coming in has a very low bar to jump. Kudos to TT and MM for finally seeing the light.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Class act. I agree that it seems like his time had come. Wish him well and he left just as classy as he was during his whole time here.

Any chance we trade with SF for Willis?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
He ran 4.7 at his Combine. You might as well have Barrington continue in the coverage role. He's about that fast.

Trade back and get both Perryman and Anthony. Add a vet. Problem fixed.

This is assuming Peppers stays and all the other key guys are re-sigbed.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finally! Even the casual fan could see that Hawk and Jones couldn't get it done. Hawk just didn't have the burst to close quick enough. He tackled guys way way too often 5-8 yds downfield. Like Ha Ha taking over at safety, the new person coming in has a very low bar to jump. Kudos to TT and MM for finally seeing the light.

I wouldn't saw Hawk become the playmaker the Packers hoped he would be picking at number 5, but he ended up a solid starter for us for years.

This season though, he completely dropped off so he was let go. To me they saw the light on Hawk pretty quickly.

H

HardRightEdge

You're getting warm. Regardless of how it shakes out, "problem fixed" is a bit too glib.

As for Peppers, I'm more certain he'll be back than any one of the Packer free agents. The ILB position is being overhauled; Matthews is slated to take snaps at that position; there's no other 3-down OLB on the roster other than Peppers and Matthews. Without Peppers it's back to square one regarding the "bookend", and at time two bookends. A hole at edge rusher was the problem that existed before ILB and before safety. You lose Peppers and it becomes another case of whack-a-mole with the defensive repairs.

The only alternative is for the Packers would have to go high in the draft for an edge rusher or spend in free agency for one. I don't see how the Packers can do any better than Peppers with the $7 mil in cap savings if he is released. And I forget...how many high picks do the Packers have?

Again, lack of depth needs to be considered together with pay-for-performance.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I highly doubt TT takes two ILBs that high. It's unlikely two will be at the top of the board within a couple picks. Even if he decided to target both, it would be hard to position himself to get exactly the two guys he wanted at the right spot.

Also, Barrington showed enough that TT will not give up on him already.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You're getting warm. Regardless of how it shakes out, "problem fixed" is a bit too glib.

As for Peppers, I'm more certain he'll be back than any one of the Packer free agents. The ILB position is being overhauled; Matthews is slated to take snaps at that position; there's no other 3-down OLB on the roster other than Peppers and Matthews. Without Peppers it's back to square one regarding the "bookend", and at time two bookends. A hole at edge rusher was the problem that existed before ILB and before safety. You lose Peppers and it becomes another case of whack-a-mole with the defensive repairs.

The only alternative is for the Packers would have to go high in the draft for an edge rusher or spend in free agency for one. I don't see how the Packers can do any better than Peppers with the $7 mil in cap savings if he is released. And I forget...how many high picks do the Packers have?

Again, lack of depth needs to be considered together with pay-for-performance.

I am a huge fan of Peppers coming back. Gotta "set the edge." Peppers also adds so much as a locker room guy. I just think this is a huge opportunity to get "fast and nasty" in the middle which we haven't seen in years.

I can't wait to see how it shakes out. I think they can keep everyone but they will have to choose between House or Williams.

Might need a nose due to what's going on with Guion. Plus there is Raji. Wilfork would be nice with a group of hungry young thumpers behind him. I think they can make one key move in free agency. Well see what TT has in store. So far I'm excited about the direction.

H

HardRightEdge

I am a huge fan of Peppers coming back. Gotta "set the edge." Peppers also adds so much as a locker room guy. I just think this is a huge opportunity to get "fast and nasty" in the middle which we haven't seen in years.

I can't wait to see how it shakes out. I think they can keep everyone but they will have to choose between House or Williams.

Might need a nose due to what's going on with Guion. Plus there is Raji. Wilfork would be nice with a group of hungry young thumpers behind him. I think they can make one key move in free agency. Well see what TT has in store. So far I'm excited about the direction.
I'm excited about the possibilities. As for the direction the proof is in the putting.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I highly doubt TT takes two ILBs that high. It's unlikely two will be at the top of the board within a couple picks. Even if he decided to target both, it would be hard to position himself to get exactly the two guys he wanted at the right spot.

Also, Barrington showed enough that TT will not give up on him already.

No way do you give up on Barrington. I think he showed he is a viable starter in the league. I'm completely fine with Barrington.

I'm just saying with Hawk and Jones gone and unsure about Lattimore other then a depth guy were gonna need at least two.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way do you give up on Barrington. I think he showed he is a viable starter in the league. I'm completely fine with Barrington.

I'm just saying with Hawk and Jones gone and unsure about Lattimore other then a depth guy were gonna need at least two.

I could see taking two, just not two early.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most tackles in Green Bay history, still, haters gonna hate. Thanks for the effort and great performance over your career!

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really thought they'd keep Hawk if they let Jones go for the simple reason that someone has to teach the new ILB that they will draft, and I don't think Barrington is able to do that quite yet. I like Hawk, yes at times in coverage he was running in quick sand, but he had something about him that I wanted on this D. I purchased his jersey when he was a rookie, and I'll always remember that he was the only D starter NOT to get hurt during the Superbowl season.

Members online

Latest posts