Packers RB James Starks Noticed by Falcons

szpjbb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before Sunday, most people have not heard the name, James Starks, the Green Bay Packers' rookie running back, but now, the Atlanta Falcons have noticed him after Starks rushed for 123 yards in Green Bay's 21-16 playoff victory at Philadelphia.

"He came out of nowhere," Falcons middle linebacker Curtis Lofton said. "I'd never heard of Starks. I'd never seen him on film until the past two weeks. But he's a talented back."

But obviously, the Falcons were not willing to allow some rookie to have a big performance in Saturday's playoff game at the Georgia Dome. But they just can not ignore this young guy.

Before Sunday, James Starks was a sixth-round pick out of Buffalo who had struggled to get on the field due to injuries and inconsistent practice habits. But last game vs. the Eagles, Starks rushed for 123 yards, helping the Packers got the 21-16 playoff victory.

Now, according to Packers coach Mike McCarthy, Starks has earned a bigger role in the offense. And Starks says he's ready.

"If you love this game, you love having the ball in your hands," Starks said. "I would love to have that but I'm grateful for whatever I can get. I'll take whatever I'm offered."

But even the Packers admit that Starks' breakout performance doesn't necessarily mean they have solved their season-long running game problems.

The Packers lost running back Ryan Grant to an ankle injury in Week 1, and after that they spent most of this season struggling to run the ball and leaned heavily on quarterback Aaron Rodgers and his wide receivers.

Maybe Starks could be the difference, but nothing is for sure. Rodgers said that every week, you never know who's going to get the majority of the carries. And Starks' inconsistent practice habit is the problem.

For all the guys on the Packers' offense, including James Starks, they need to do as they can in the practice in order to give the team confidence. Starks said that he had got the message. So let's see whether Starks will duplicate last week's performance.

View the whole article...

L

Lunchboxer

Starks is our savor.

Hes the one that helped us win last week. Hope he has another good day tomorrow.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Lol, I'd like to see if he can do more than one time in his pro career before I bow down to the guy. Gut tells me he doesn't do much in Atlanta, but I do hope that I'm wrong.

No ones bowing down, but people sure are taking notice. If they want to have this mentality, brush him off, and say "ill wait until I see more," ten all the better for us. Starks can have a field day.

Other people are noticing him, why can't we?

cakoski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish Starks would have been healthier earlier and practiced better later. So I could have a real idea of how effective he could be. That being said he has looked good when has got to be part of the offense like last week and against San Fran. I bet Atlanta is not sure either. I would do a couple play action bombs early while they are still concerned about Starks before he has to prove it to them.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He might not light up the stat sheet tomorrow, but if he can help bring the safeties and corners closer and open some holes for our aerial attack, he will have done his job.

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He might not light up the stat sheet tomorrow, but if he can help bring the safeties and corners closer and open some holes for our aerial attack, he will have done his job.

Exactly. As long as Atlanta is forced to respect our run, and if he can get some solid early runs, the D will be on their heels all game when we use play action and delayed handoffs.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a Starks Kitten for sure! I think he will do well against the Packers and will be a large part of the reason we win the game if all is right with the universe.

Trouble is this time the Falcons can game plan for him. He provided some nifty film from the Eagles game where he was an "unknown" running back that the Packers used to destroy the Eagles. I'm still laughing at that one!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a Starks Kitten for sure! I think he will do well against the Packers and will be a large part of the reason we win the game if all is right with the universe.

Trouble is this time the Falcons can game plan for him. He provided some nifty film from the Eagles game where he was an "unknown" running back that the Packers used to destroy the Eagles. I'm still laughing at that one!

I hope he doesn't do well AGAINST the Packers! :)

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow... if they intend to play the way they talk, they are just asking for the play action deep ball.

tundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least now when we line up in the I and hand off to the running back we're not getting stuffed for minus 2.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score

typo>?

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Hopefully the Packers can hit it hard with them wondering what to do with Starks, and then play catch up. I like the use of using Starks as a distraction for play action. And then see how things work out. Hopefully the Packers can come up with a gameplan the whole game, and not be conservative too much.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
From my perspective it's really simple. He's established himself and the Falcons will have to game plan for him. Else they be embarrassed in front of a national audience. So he's done his job. By his style of play and his results, it's impossible for a Dcoordinator to ignore him.
So the next question is how MM uses him. Pack did alright without him last game, he'll show up here, mark my words. If nothing else, he'll be a good relief valve.
Alot of forum "experts" wanna take a wait and see and that's okay, but I'm in, I'm buying into the James Starks show. He's shown enough.
I never predict outcomes because I'm not a professional gambler or player, but I'd be surprised if the Packers dont' keep it within 3 in a loss or 7 in a victory.
Go Pack!

Riley82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he plays well he may dislodge grant i would not be surprised if grant was traded/released as i cant see tt paying his contract.
I think the u.s. packers fans are so cool whilst some of the english fans just moan all the time.
English packers fan

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he plays well he may dislodge grant i would not be surprised if grant was traded/released as i cant see tt paying his contract.
I think the u.s. packers fans are so cool whilst some of the english fans just moan all the time.
English packers fan

Some love to my English mates! I wouldn't want Starks to replace Grant full time. I love them both and why not just be greedy and have them both! I can't wait to see our running game explode next year with both Grant and Starks! There is so much Grant could teach Starks, he's proven his talent he just needs his Yoda!

Latest posts