Packers finalize coaching staff

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

WRs Luke Getsy, TE Brian Angelichio, RB Ben Sirmans, asst OL David Raih, Ejiro Evero Def quality. Clements stays as associate head coach/offense. Bennett still OC. Defense quality control coach John Rushing wasn't retained.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
interesting.....so the way to get the wr's to get back on track is to promote a guy you had on staff last year. At least they got a new TE coach from a team that has actually had good TE production.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm just glad to see Van Pelt back solely in charge of the QB's and a separate WR coach. Still wonder why Bennett and Clements seem to have a similar job title.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

interesting.....so the way to get the wr's to get back on track is to promote a guy you had on staff last year. At least they got a new TE coach from a team that has actually had good TE production.

Getsy is highly regarded within the organization, him being promoted to coach a position was the logical next step.

I really don't get why McCarthy didn't make any changes on top of the offensive coaches. To me, it doesn't make any sense to retain Clements as associate head voach offense without him calling plays as well as Bennett as offensive coordinator.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Getsy is highly regarded within the organization, him being promoted to coach a position was the logical next step.

I really don't get why McCarthy didn't make any changes on top of the offensive coaches. To me, it doesn't make any sense to retain Clements as associate head voach offense without him calling plays as well as Bennett as offensive coordinator.

I rewatched the Redskin playoff game the other night and noticed Bennett spending a lot of time talking to WR's on the sideline, his old coaching position. I have to wonder if most of what we see are just titles that come with paychecks in regards to coaches. Bennett for example may not be the OC in the traditional sense, they have Clements and McCarthy for that, but last year was still focused on helping Van Pelt with WR's as well as other aspects of the offense. I know the Packers are really high on both Bennett and Van Pelt and want to keep them in GB, so that might be the way to accomplish it.

Anyone know if the NFL has a cap on how much all of your coaches can be paid? I could only find that there isn't one. Just curious.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I rewatched the Redskin playoff game the other night and noticed Bennett spending a lot of time talking to WR's on the sideline, his old coaching position. I have to wonder if most of what we see are just titles that come with paychecks in regards to coaches. Bennett for example may not be the OC in the traditional sense, they have Clements and McCarthy for that, but last year was still focused on helping Van Pelt with WR's as well as other aspects of the offense. I know the Packers are really high on both Bennett and Van Pelt and want to keep them in GB, so that might be the way to accomplish it.

I really don't see any reason to have two guys in Clements and Bennett oversewing the offense, especially with McCarthy calling the plays.

Anyone know if the NFL has a cap on how much all of your coaches can be paid? I could only find that there isn't one. Just curious.

No, there's no cap on how much a team is allowed to spend on coaches.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bennett was a VERY good RB coach, then WR coach. A real stickler for details and doing "the little things" that each position excelled at under his tutelage. I'm sure they promoted him to OC so that another team couldn't pilfer him, but I really wish he would be OC/WR coach and get that position back to excellent routes, minimal drops AND all on the same page with AR.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The best thing I heard in McCarren's interview is McCarthy saying both Nelson and Cobb asked for Getsy to get the job. The one question I really would have liked Larry to ask was, 'Generally speaking could you define the duties of Clements and Bennett now that you've taken back the play calling duties?'

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

New Packers RB coach Ben Sirmans said he's already spoken with Eddie Lacy and got the impression that you can tell he's very hungry this year.

Hmmm, I think that's an unfortunate phrasing. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The one question I really would have liked Larry to ask was, 'Generally speaking could you define the duties of Clements and Bennett now that you've taken back the play calling duties?'

A question we all want to know for sure! Add in that AR is pretty efficient at running the offense totally on his own and it seems like you have over coaching to the extreme. I have rewatched a few games from the season and the Packers offense seems to be at its best when its playing hurry up, not the watered down version, but the true "line up immediately following the previous play style". This keeps the defense from substituting as well as in a somewhat state of confusion. It was also when AR was able to get his many of his "free plays". AR is a master at standing there reading the defense and making the call he thinks is appropriate, let him do it more. I think at times they shied away from it, due to what looked like a totally dysfunctional offense and an attempt to "calm them down". But if I am McCarthy, Clements, Bennett, water boy, trainer, whoever is running the offense.......Especially with Jordy back, I'm working on shifting the Packer offense to run almost exclusively in the hurry up and under the control of AR.

This is another reason I would like to see Jame Jones back, or at least given the opportunity to compete for a job. I think Jordy, Cobb and Jones all can be on the same page as AR and that equates to a more efficient passing game in the hurry up.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is an interesting piece on Raih who quit a $100,000 job to join Rick Neuheisel's new UCLA coaching staff as a volunteer. Some may call such a move foolish but IMO it took guts for Raih to give up that kind of money to do something he loves doing. That had to remind McCarthy of his story - he was a volunteer on the football staff of the U of Pittsburgh while working in a toll booth on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Of course that job paid somewhat less than $100,000.
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...eft-100k-salary-for-unpaid-first-coaching-gig

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Add in that AR is pretty efficient at running the offense totally on his own and it seems like you have over coaching to the extreme. I have rewatched a few games from the season and the Packers offense seems to be at its best when its playing hurry up, not the watered down version, but the true "line up immediately following the previous play style". This keeps the defense from substituting as well as in a somewhat state of confusion. It was also when AR was able to get his many of his "free plays". AR is a master at standing there reading the defense and making the call he thinks is appropriate, let him do it more. I think at times they shied away from it, due to what looked like a totally dysfunctional offense and an attempt to "calm them down". But if I am McCarthy, Clements, Bennett, water boy, trainer, whoever is running the offense.......Especially with Jordy back, I'm working on shifting the Packer offense to run almost exclusively in the hurry up and under the control of AR.

First and foremost I would like the play call to get to Rodgers way faster. I don't like the idea of playing like the Eagles under Chip Kelly though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
First and foremost I would like the play call to get to Rodgers way faster. I don't like the idea of playing like the Eagles under Chip Kelly though.

I'm tired of burning timeouts because of this. Seems like one a game. I would almost rather take the 5 yards and save the timeout.

I'm not advocating for snapping the ball as quickly as possible, but if you rewatch games from the year, the offense seemed to be more effective when they got up to the line of scrimmage quickly and just let AR look the defense over and call the play. Now he may have been getting the play from the bench, but the offense just seemed to click as much as the defenses didn't under that format.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm tired of burning timeouts because of this. Seems like one a game. I would almost rather take the 5 yards and save the timeout.

I'm not advocating for snapping the ball as quickly as possible, but if you rewatch games from the year, the offense seemed to be more effective when they got up to the line of scrimmage quickly and just let AR look the defense over and call the play. Now he may have been getting the play from the bench, but the offense just seemed to click as much as the defenses didn't under that format.

Most of the time Rodgers gets the play from the bench with a chance to audible to a different one. Agree with the rest of your post.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Was listening to an interview with Greg Jennings, who finally confessed he was bitter when he left GB and changed his stance on who was the better QB, Favre or Rodgers. Greg now feels Rodgers, because of his superior decision making capabilities. But one of the more interesting things Jennings said was about his current QB, Tannehill. Evidently, Tannehill has not been allowed the ability to option out of plays at the LOS. Crazy, but we have taken that for granted for a long time with Favre and Rodgers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts