Assistant Coach Tracker

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have always took it to mean that teachers cannot "make it" in the real world (of business) and so they teach so they can have a steady income. I think it does demean the teaching profession. Hell, some people think the same thing about "lifers" in the army.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There are other components of athleticism that are not tested. Components apart of speed, quickness, and change of direction.

Two of the biggest are body control and balance but they are closely related. Being able to run fast, twist (your upper body only) back to the QB, jump, reach and grasp all while maintaining your speed is difficult and doesnt show up in combine stats.

Then there are other components of success including toughness. I knew a guy who had similar stats. I'd estimate him at 6'2 220 who ran a 4.40. He quit a div 2 school as a freshman because "getting tackled hurt too much". This is extreme, but you have to be fearless as a WR to be effective.

I realize that, but I would persist that while Moss was an extremely good athlete, athleticism was far from the only reason he was so great.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said ...using that addage is both ignorant (since you are apparently unaware) and insulting to the thousands of educators in this world that choose that calling. Choosing to teach others does not indicate an inability to “do”. I realize that you are speaking about the sporting world and not specifically the classroom, but I think you need to be made aware of how insulting that particular phrase is perceived to be.
perhaps if you had explained in that manner first, i wouldn't have gotten my back up and fired back.

I myself, am an instructor, and must admit that having heard that phrase plenty times over the years, never really thought of it applying to myself since starting this career path, and I understand your viewpoint on it, and for causing offence to you, and any others, then i sincerely apologize.

someone had mentioned about a player becoming a coach i think, but said player wasn't very good, so my point was more that, despite not being a great player, he could still be a good/great coach

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
perhaps if you had explained in that manner first, i wouldn't have gotten my back up and fired back.

I myself, am an instructor, and must admit that having heard that phrase plenty times over the years, never really thought of it applying to myself since starting this career path, and I understand your viewpoint on it, and for causing offence to you, and any others, then i sincerely apologize.

someone had mentioned about a player becoming a coach i think, but said player wasn't very good, so my point was more that, despite not being a great player, he could still be a good/great coach

I forgive you, you are learning. ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You just know with that anyone with the name of Butkus had to grow up one tough SOB if they ever wanted to see adulthood. I would have named him Sue too, just for good measure. And I'm happy to have him.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You just know with that anyone with the name of Butkus had to grow up one tough SOB if they ever wanted to see adulthood. I would have named him Sue too, just for good measure. And I'm happy to have him.

Now let's go get Nagurski!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Don't you folks think it's ok to laugh at ourselves once in a while? Sure it's an old saying. It's like Non-Coms in the military saying "I'm too smart to be an officer". Or people who've said to me over the years; "You get paid pretty well for only working one day a week." I'd usually laugh and say; "It's tough but somebody's got to do it." It's ok to lighten up and not get my knickers in a twist when some old saw picks on me. There's another old saying; "When we learn to laugh at ourselves, we'll never run out of material."

Funny metaphors, sayings, and similes are often good to keep discussions like these from becoming boring and stale. After all, there is only so much one can say about Assistant Coaches before it becomes redundantly boring.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't you folks think it's ok to laugh at ourselves once in a while? Sure it's an old saying. It's like Non-Coms in the military saying "I'm too smart to be an officer". Or people who've said to me over the years; "You get paid pretty well for only working one day a week." I'd usually laugh and say; "It's tough but somebody's got to do it." It's ok to lighten up and not get my knickers in a twist when some old saw picks on me. There's another old saying; "When we learn to laugh at ourselves, we'll never run out of material."

Funny metaphors, sayings, and similes are often good to keep discussions like these from becoming boring and stale. After all, there is only so much one can say about Assistant Coaches before it becomes redundantly boring.

Croak I have no problem laughing at myself, trust me. I’m like Charlie Brown over here, always trusting Lucy not to pull the ball away. I am also not a snowflake. I can hang in there with anyone. I know Scots didn’t really mean much by it, but the particular phrase he used is insulting to hard working educators everywhere.

I taught secondary biology for 22 years, recently leaving because of bad leadership and toxic politics to take a job in biotech. It’s tough to take a phrase like this with humor when teachers have been portrayed as lazy, incompetent, overpaid, etc, all for political gain.

My current job in biotech is pretty complex, multi-layered, and requires a lot of hard work and advanced skills.

Being a successful teacher was much harder.

There. I am done with it. I will let it go for the sake of all the other posters who just want to talk football.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I taught secondary biology for 22 years, recently leaving because of bad leadership and toxic politics to take a job in biotech. It’s tough to take a phrase like this with humor when teachers have been portrayed as lazy, incompetent, overpaid, etc, all for political gain.

Oh I completely understand. I had the double whammy for a while; bivocational teaching school and youth pastoring. Ha! Lazy, imcompetent, overpaid;..welcome to the ministry! :whistling::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Also a teacher. My advice-- just pick on the next person down (like we tell the kids!).

Those who can teach, do.

Those who can't, teach P.E.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also a teacher. My advice-- just pick on the next person down (like we tell the kids!).

Those who can teach, do.

Our P.E. Teacher was 2 time big ten Wrestling champ and 2nd place in NCAA finisher. He also played OT for the Badgers and played in the Rose Bowl in early 60s

He’d laugh at that joke and then squash you like a bug still at his age :)

That guy made me do a lot of bearcrawls

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Our P.E. Teacher was 2 time big ten Wrestling champ and 2nd place in NCAA finisher. He also played OT for the Badgers and played in the Rose Bowl in early 60s

He’d laugh at that joke and then squash you like a bug still at his age :)

That guy made me do a lot of bearcrawls

He made you do a lot of bear crawls because that and dodgeball is all those guys learn in college.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had the good fortune of being able to play a lot of dodgeball too.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

Those who can teach, do.

One of my sons is a P.E. teacher! He was invited to play indoor pro soccer, but chose to go to college and get a couple degrees. He's working on his second Masters right now, while he is teaching Health, PE, and Driver's Ed. He'd get a good laugh out of that quote. He just ran 8 miles one day this week pushing a three person stroller with his twins and a toddler totaling over 115 pounds. He plans to run a 5K pushing them. P.E. teachers are just plain nuts. He's double crazy because he's a Jaguars fan.....

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One of my sons is a P.E. teacher! He was invited to play indoor pro soccer, but chose to go to college and get a couple degrees. He's working on his second Masters right now, while he is teaching Health, PE, and Driver's Ed. He'd get a good laugh out of that quote. He just ran 8 miles one day this week pushing a three person stroller with his twins and a toddler totaling over 115 pounds. He plans to run a 5K pushing them. P.E. teachers are just plain nuts. He's double crazy because he's a Jaguars fan.....

Masters level dodgeball!? That sounds intense.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have promoted Chris Gizzi to strength & conditioning coordinator and retained Mark Lovat, Thadeus Jackson and Grant Thorne as strength & conditioning assistants

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I guess we will see, but keep the old boss around in a different capacity seems like a bad idea.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you are joking with this outdated saying. Effective teaching is incredibly difficult.

Croak I have no problem laughing at myself, trust me. I’m like Charlie Brown over here, always trusting Lucy not to pull the ball away. I am also not a snowflake. I can hang in there with anyone. I know Scots didn’t really mean much by it, but the particular phrase he used is insulting to hard working educators everywhere.

My current job in biotech is pretty complex, multi-layered, and requires a lot of hard work and advanced skills.

Being a successful teacher was much harder.

There. I am done with it. I will let it go for the sake of all the other posters who just want to talk football.

we discussed that quote after the fact, it's all good

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we will see, but keep the old boss around in a different capacity seems like a bad idea.
Kind of a head scratcher. Lovat must have some pretty deep ties with Green Bay. Gizzi was promoted? Where was he before? So we have the same conditioning staff?

Latest posts