Who Stays and Who goes.....Coaches

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I am expecting to see pretty much a clean sweep of the coaching staff at the end of the year, I would like to know others thoughts on who should be kept and why? This isn't meant to rehash "Fire MM, TT or even Philbin", since I think those topics have already been covered.

Maybe it would be better to just say "Anyone of these guys worth keeping?"

• Joe Philbin:INTERIM HEAD COACH
Offense
  • Run Game Coordinator/Offensive Line: James Campen
  • Pass Game Coordinator: Jim Hostler
  • Tight Ends: Brian Angelichio
  • Quarterbacks: Frank Cignetti Jr.
  • Running Backs: Ben Sirmans
  • Wide Receivers: David Raih
  • Assistant OL: Jeff Blasko

Defense

• Defensive Coordinator: Mike Pettine
  • Defense - Run Game Coordinator/Inside LB's: Patrick Graham
  • Defense - Pass Game Coordinator: Joe Whitt Jr.
  • Secondary: Jason Simmons
  • Defensive Line: Jerry Montgomery
  • Assistant Defensive Line: Jay Hayes
  • Defensive Assistant: Scott Mccurley
  • Defensive Quality Control: Ryan Downard

Special Teams
  • Special Teams Coordinator: Ron Zook
  • Assistant Special Teams: Maurice Drayton

Strength and Conditioning
  • Strength and Conditioning Coordinator: Mark Lovat
  • S & C Assistant: Chris Gizzi
  • S & C Assistant: Thadeus Jackson
  • S & C Assistant: Grant Thorne

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine, and he can round out his staff how he sees fit.

I go back and forth on Campen and have for years. Sometimes I think he's terrible and other times I think he's brilliant LOL

Outside of that i'm not sure really sure if I care if anyone else stays or goes. well there's a few that can definitely go, but I don't feel I have to name them. They're going out with the rest of them anyway.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dump all of offense. Hire back Campen, just so you can fire him a 2nd time. Fire Zook. Keep Pettine and let him choose his staff, but strongly recommend he can do better than Witt.

Give Pettine a real shot at HC. Interview only HCs that will keep Pettine.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I think everyone but Mike Pettine leaves. I think Gute and Murphy probably told him when they hired him if MM gets the boot you are safe.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Dump all of offense. Hire back Campen, just so you can fire him a 2nd time. Fire Zook. Keep Pettine and let him choose his staff, but strongly recommend he can do better than Witt.

Give Pettine a real shot at HC. Interview only HCs that will keep Pettine.

I think to who ever Gute and Murphy interview as the stipulation you keep Pettine on for few more seasons to prove he can do it. Like with Vangio in Chicago.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I truly have absolutely no idea anything about any of the coaches, besides that fact that I want Ron Zook gone and Mike Pettine to stay.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our ST coaches and strength and conditioning coaches had better be the next to get their butts kicked out of here. Those aspects of this team have dragged us in the mud for years and the head bosses are utter incompetent boobs.

On offense, well hard to say. Campen ... Ehh, not crazy about him but when we got a rather depleted bunch of players on the Bulaga side, he can only do so much. Everyone else is hard to evaluate since Rodgers does his thing and makes it difficult for me.

On defense, well Pettine's fate will be what it is. Think we could use a better DL coach, and for sure kick Joe Whitt out.

Anyone else is fair game, but in all likelihood the house gets cleaned, just that ST and conditioning have been the biggest abominations I've witnessed.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everyone but Mike Pettine leaves. I think Gute and Murphy probably told him when they hired him if MM gets the boot you are safe.

While I certainly am pleased with the job that Pettine has done and consider it a plus if the next HC keeps him, I don't think he should be forced to.

We never know, it's possible a guy he has in mind might even be an upgrade over Pettine, though I would certainly tell him he had better not hire some goofball like Rob Ryan.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can people not like Campen? He's working with a big pile of excrement out there.

The only OL with actual talent do a really good job out there.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would be in favor of a new head coach holding on to Pettine, Campen, Sirmans and Montgomery but as I've mentioned before wouldn't lose any sleep of none of the current coaches returning for next season.

H

HardRightEdge

It depends on the kind of head coach that is hired. A young coordinator with no head coaching experience is less likely to bring in a full roster of new guys. For example, If he's an offensive coach and Gutekunst and Murphy are satisfied with Pettine's performance, he'll likely stay. On the other hand, if they bring in a seasoned head coach he'll likely have a list of possible hires from past experience. The more seasoned the coach, the more likely he'll want that authority to hire his own people.

Last edited by a moderator:

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep Pettine unless their is someone better available that the new HC wants. Fire everyone else and start fresh.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I like Pettine and Campen. If the new HC wants to keep them, that would be cool. But I wouldn't want them forces onto the new guy. I don't really have strong feelings about anyone else.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, if they feel the new guy is the guy to lead this team, then the new guy should probably be given the latitude to pick his own staff to lead this team with.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine has done a good job imo and with better talent could have the Packers defense in the top 8-10. He doesn’t have a lot to work with. But as I’ve said before...you shouldn’t force any of the current staff on the new Head Coach. Give him the right to decide who he wants on his staff. These guys spend a ton of time together and the last thing you need is friction amongst the staff because you’re forced to work with a guy whom you didn’t want.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Exactly, if they feel the new guy is the guy to lead this team, then the new guy should probably be given the latitude to pick his own staff to lead this team with.
Agreed and I can't help but wonder if McCarthy or Gute "forced" Pettine into keeping 1/2 of the defensive coaches when he was hired. Moss is now gone, I look forward to a new Secondary coach and not sure if Montgomery is responsible for Clark playing so well or Kenny is just a really talented guy.

Retained after Capers was fired were:
  1. Moss
  2. Whitt
  3. Montgomery
  4. McCurley

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed and I can't help but wonder if McCarthy or Gute "forced" Pettine into keeping 1/2 of the defensive coaches when he was hired. Moss is now gone, I look forward to a new Secondary coach and not sure if Montgomery is responsible for Clark playing so well or Kenny is just a really talented guy.

Retained after Capers was fired were:
  1. Moss
  2. Whitt
  3. Montgomery
  4. McCurley
To me it's a different scenario. At that point they had what they thought was most things in place, so as little change as necessary to get to the end goal was the plan. This year, the head guy is gone. The change is clearly happening. It's not trying to keep the band together for one more tour. But, they could be looking for a HC that is more of a go between, communicator, facilitator, etc type person between front office, coaching staff and locker room than the traditional head honcho headcoach we're used to seeing in the NFL. Or something in between :)

I'm fairly sure that interviews will have a portion that discusses vision for the team with or without Pettine and that's going to weigh into their decision. and I could see it go either way actually. either the new coach has a great vision for the team and they like what he has to offer and that includes keeping Pettine as a DC. Or the New guy has a great vision for the team and wants his own guys to implement it. I don't think either way is wrong, but I do think it should be the HC's decision in the end.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd also get van Pelt back. The new coach could do with some familiar people who can help transition.

Reaction score
While I am expecting to see pretty much a clean sweep of the coaching staff at the end of the year, I would like to know others thoughts on who should be kept and why? This isn't meant to rehash "Fire MM, TT or even Philbin", since I think those topics have already been covered.

Maybe it would be better to just say "Anyone of these guys worth keeping?"

Who here is qualified to answer such a question unless you work in the halls of 1265 Lombardi Ave.
I know it's been a frustrating season, but let's leave this up to the people that qualify to make decisions like this.

Just be dam glad were not one of those people

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Who here is qualified to answer such a question unless you work in the halls of 1265 Lombardi Ave.
I know it's been a frustrating season, but let's leave this up to the people that qualify to make decisions like this.

Well isn't that kind of an implied given with every decision we talk about and discuss here? I have no grandiose visions of my importance in regards to what actually happens, but why are we here if we are only going to discuss "did you see that?"

Please don't make me go back and look at all your posts or threads, to make sure you are leaving all decisions strictly up to the experts qualified to make the decisions. ;)

I won't even make the comment that most of those people deemed "qualified" to make the decisions have either already been or about to get fired. Opppps.....I think I just did. :oops:

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just be dam glad were not one of those people

They may be responsible for the decisions. Qualified is whole different question.

Reaction score
They may be responsible for the decisions. Qualified is whole different question.

If you don't put your trust in the present decisions makers collecting a pay check in Green Bay, we're all in trouble.
Somewhere along the line in this football world, there's another Vince L. waiting to be hired.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If you don't put your trust in the present decisions makers collecting a pay check in Green Bay, we're all in trouble.
Somewhere along the line in this football world, there's another Vince L. waiting to be hired.
Yes, but did you say that before TT and MM were shown the door too? Just because someone is "currently in charge" isn't a guarantee they are doing the job better than anyone else can. TT was the beginning of many changes to happen in a one year period for the Packer organization. Let's hope the new decision makers are better than the previous ones.

Members online

Latest posts