Assistant Coach Tracker

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So far, if the news out of Green Bay is Correct, the bold names are in:

Offense
  • Nathaniel Hackett — Offensive Coordinator
  • James Campen — Offense-run game coordinator/offensive line
    • Replaced with: Adam Stenavich
  • Jim Hostler — Offense-pass game coordinator
  • Brian Angelichio — Tight ends
    • Replaced with: Justin Outten
  • Frank Cignetti, Jr. — Quarterbacks
    • Replaced with: Luke Getsy
  • Ben Sirmans — Running backs
  • David Raih — Wide receivers
    • Replaced with: Alvis Whitted
  • Jeff Blasko — Assistant offensive line
Defense
  • Mike Pettine — Defensive coordinator
  • Patrick Graham — Defense-run game coordinator/inside linebackers
  • Winston Moss: AHC/Linebackers
    • Replaced with: Kirk Olivadotti (ILB's)
    • Replaced with: Mike Smith (OLB's)
  • Joe Whitt, Jr. — Defense-pass game coordinator
  • Jerry Montgomery — Defensive Line
  • Jason SimmonsSecondary Promoted to DB coach
  • Jay Hayes — Assistant defensive line
  • Scott McCurley — Defensive assistant
  • Ryan Downard — Defensive quality control Promoted to assistant DB coach
Special Teams
  • Ron Zook — Special teams coordinator
  • Maurice Drayton — Assistant special teams

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Would definitely like to see Hostler, Cignetti, and Raih removed for people more capable and familiar with LaFleur's offense. I think Campen would be a great fit as a keeper. If having Philbin's HC experience around is helpful, then that's fine, but he shouldn't be the OC. The ST's staff needs to be replaced.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just hope Murphy and Gute don't just make MM, Winston Moss and Ron Zook the fall guys here. I can't help but think there also needs to be some new blood in regards to the coaches of the WR's and the Secondary.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks good. Get the hell rid of everyone else. I haven't seen enough players develop for me to want to keep Campen around. The guys that are good were good their first year. I don't think he is a bad coach like say Zook but I would like to see them try someone new and try to get a little more development of the lesser players. I don't want Philbin around and I doubt he wants to be around. He serves no purpose on the new staff. Go join MM wherever he goes. Great to see Whitt's name not in bold as well. I would for once like to see a corner look back for the ball and tackle like they mean it. Jaire showed up with better technique than the guys Whitt has coached up.

Reaction score
Relax fellows, there's so much that will go on before the first 2019 practice game, we have to wait and see.
BTW...…. the chances we even get to the play-offs next season are slim to none with the team the Bears assembled, they will be a challenge.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Relax fellows, there's so much that will go on before the first 2019 practice game, we have to wait and see.
BTW...…. the chances we even get to the play-offs next season are slim to none with the team the Bears assembled, they will be a challenge.

I'd disagree. May not win the division, but outside of the Bears, Rams, and Saints, no other team in the NFC is really that impressive, and even the Bears are beatable.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brayden Coombs, special teams assistant coach with the Bengals is rumored to be joining the staff. Good F-ing Bye Zooker. 1 down 2 to go. The reaper is coming for Whitt and Lovat.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brayden Coombs, special teams assistant coach with the Bengals is rumored to be joining the staff. Good F-ing Bye Zooker. 1 down 2 to go. The reaper is coming for Whitt and Lovat.

Don’t forget Raih, he will he gone for sure.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd disagree. May not win the division, but outside of the Bears, Rams, and Saints, no other team in the NFC is really that impressive, and even the Bears are beatable.
I'd even like to add that in a down year for the Packers we almost beat the Rams. The Saints are the only team in the NFC that really seem unbeatable, and they wont be able to load up in the draft this year if I recall correctly. Don't know how their cap situation is but I'd say their pretty much in their best possible form right now.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The most recent rumor per Tom Silverstein is that Mike McDaniel (SF Run Game Coordinator) and Mike LaFleur (Matt's brother, SF Pass Game Coordinator) are the targets for OC, but that it's unclear if either would be allowed to leave.

McDaniel:
  • 2005 Coaching Intern, Broncos
  • 2006-08 Off. Assistant, Texans
  • 2009-10 RB Coach, UFL
  • 2011-12 Off. Assistant, Redskins
  • 2013 WR Coach, Redskins
  • 2014 WR Coach, Browns
  • 2015-16 Off. Assistant, Falcons
  • 2017-18 Run Game Coordinator, 49ers
LaFleur:
  • 2017-18 WR/Pass Game Coordinator, 49ers
  • 2015-16 Off. Assistant, Falcons
  • 2014 Coaching Intern, Browns
  • 2013 OC, Davidson College
I like Mike LaFleur's experience with Shanahan's offense, but ideally you'd like to avoid having a guy hire his brother. Additionally, Mike McDaniel's resume is quite a bit longer. He's the easy choice, but of course SF could choose to block him and only allow the latter to leave.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Also the Bears lost Fangio to the Broncos. Wonder how much that will affect their defense.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Also the Bears lost Fangio to the Broncos. Wonder how much that will affect their defense.
I doubt much, that Bear defense is loaded with talented players. Who ever is interviewing for that job has to be feeling like a kid at Christmas, seeing all those toys under the tree.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I doubt much, that Bear defense is loaded with talented players. Who ever is interviewing for that job has to be feeling like a kid at Christmas, seeing all those toys under the tree.

We will see... in 2017, the Bears' defense was 14th in DVOA and 1st this season. Obviously they added Mack, and that's huge. But otherwise the personnel was the same. A lesser DC could still run a good defense, but I doubt they reach the same heights.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gain a great coach, lose a great coach, odds are with the change there is a bit of a step back. I know there are exceptions, Rams, worst to first on offense, etc, but there is always a learning curve with newness. New scheme, new relationships, etc. Some get up to speed rather quickly, some take some time, some find out they can't work together. In a round about way, the Bears defense didn't have a ton of room for improvement and with change the possibility for a drop of is much larger. They should still have a good defense, they have a pretty good defensive roster. But a new year is going to bring a new coach, new faces, new injuries etc. I think the money bet is, they are worse on defense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Vikings, who are searching for a new permanent OL coach after the tragic death of Tony Sparano, are interviewing Joe Philbin. The Packers are allowing the interview, which would indicate that they aren't married to the idea of keeping him despite reports that he might stay on. It was clear from yesterday's press conference that he is highly, highly regarded as a man insider 1265 Lombardi. Reading between the lines, my guess is that they want to find something for him if he is without other opportunities because they think he has some value to add to a staff, but that they'd also be happy for him to find another opportunity.

Silverstein said that the Vikings also did homework on James Campen, but it's unclear if GB will allow an interview. I sure hope they shut that down. Campen is a great coach.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Silverstein said that the Vikings also did homework on James Campen, but it's unclear if GB will allow an interview. I sure hope they shut that down. Campen is a great coach.

I tend to agree with this, with one caveat, is Campen STILL a great coach? He has had so many success stories with mid to late round picks, that its hard not to call him a really good OL coach. However, does he still have that same motivation and fire? Basically, what has he done lately?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I tend to agree with this, with one caveat, is Campen STILL a great coach? He has had so many success stories with mid to late round picks, that its hard not to call him a really good OL coach. However, does he still have that same motivation and fire? Basically, what has he done lately?
A fair question. And tough to answer since we aren't privy to what happens in practice and in the meeting rooms and such. If he has lost some fire, maybe some of that can be recaptured with the coaching change and the infusion of the inevitable energy that's to come as a result of it.

At his age, I can't imagine that he's lost much. We've got some good pieces on that line. Hopefully we can address the future as it pertains to the right side of the line, though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

The Packers have not provided him with even so much as a 5th round pick since 2014 (Corey Linsley, who has become a stud) and in that time he still managed to coach a UDFA into a good starting guard. What more could be asked?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers have not provided him with even so much as a 5th round pick since 2014 (Corey Linsley, who has become a stud) and in that time he still managed to coach a UDFA into a good starting guard. What more could be asked?
Actually, Spriggs was drafted 2nd round in 2016, but Campen can't be expected to make wine out of p*ss and despite costing the Packers....3 picks, easy to forget. ;)

I may have overstated what I was trying to say. I think Campen has been a really solid coach, no doubt there, but you only keep him if he IS STILL viewed in that light. Like Murphy stated yesterday, no more complacency. So I assume if he is retained, he is still viewed as doing a great job with the OL and if he isn't, then either he wanted out or the Packers FO sees a drop in his coaching performance.

Members online

Latest posts