Packers agree with Tolzien on one-year deal

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it can only be part of the equation, because that guy in MN was pretty "smart" too. he just couldn't throw for **** :) But I think either qb can win in this league. The intelligent man with an arm, or one with less book smarts and an arm, but they all need the arm and they need a coach that will coach to their abilities, not pound square pegs into round holes.

H

HardRightEdge

How much weight would you put into that if you were drafting a QB?
I've taken one of the on-line tests recently to see what it's about. If you google around you can find one. Here's one example:

http://footballiqscore.com/

It's basically a series of word problems like you'd find on an IQ test. The questions are not particularly difficult; a few are wordy and might require a couple of readings to get through. A calculator, or at least scratch paper, would be helpful; I don't know what tools the players are given..

The difficulty is getting through the 50 questions in 12 minutes. While it tests basic reading, math and cognitive ability, my main takeaway is it tests how fast you can process information. Having a relatively quick mind coupled with decent general cognitive ability are important traits in a QB.

I think the score is important up to a point. A very low score is a problem for any player. Since it's multiple choice with 5 possible answers to each question, and no deduction for wrong answers, random answers would on average score a 10.

Vince Young reportedly scored a 6. It implies a sever intelligence deficit or a severe learning disability. It appears he could not see his way clear to even blindly fill in the blanks as time ran out. He got up to 14 on a second try, still not much better than random answers. I would not have spent a first round pick based on that score alone. A big arm, speed and instincts only take you so far.

As you can see from the list previously posted, the best QBs score 25+. A 20 score is about average for the general population. I would look long and hard at a QB prospect who scored below 25 and even harder below 20.

H

HardRightEdge

More than his 40 time?
Assuming that's a serious question, a good Wonderlic score is way more important than the 40 time in a QB, assuming you're running a pro style offense. Faster is always better, but foot speed is low on the list of considerations.

I'd be more concerned with what the tape shows in terms of pocket presence and escapability, how he feels the rush, moves in the pocket and throws under pressure than how fast he runs.

Amateur level (if we still call college football "amateur") option and spread schemes are simpler. I understand why coaches at that level increasingly favor them. They only have their players for a couple of years. It's easier to plug in an athlete into those schemes; training a guy in a more complex scheme takes more time...and then he's gone.

Latest posts