I think EVERYONE can agree on One Thing

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not going to do that, I'll assume you all are right regarding that.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% correct. Poor management at the top. Ironically the "Real" Packers fans will bas an actual Packer like Rodgers until the cows come home. But theyll never look inward at the failures at the coaching staff and GMs. TT set this team back damn near half a decade picking Randall and Rollins and letting Hayward and Hyde walk. Gutenkunst cost us at least one shot missing on almost the entire 2018 class and the 2020 class.

But continue to bash Rodgers. I hope he leaves just so these spoiled Packers fans realize the greatness they had and will never experience again for the rest of their lives..
All good points. Hyde is STILL playing outstanding ball in Buffalo - in the secondary and as a returner. I don't know if Hayward is still playing but do know he had an exceptional career after GB ditched him. The very definition of DUMB.

JTiceman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been begging for the Packer offense to go back to the Run and Shoot mode, starting from the first play of the game. This plan, coupled with the hurry-up/no-huddle offense was unstoppable and putting up points by the truckload for several years after our last SB win. When McCarthy decided he could outcoach the game and slowed things down, we have not been the same since. New coach following suit, same slowed down mentality as McCarthy. Am I the only one that recalls shredding defenses to the tune of 20-27 pts in the first half alone ?
With the play clock counting down towards "0", AR does not have enough time to dissect the defense and make adjustments. The defense gets a rest between plays and gets to substitute at will. I realize that ball control runs the clock and keeps the defense on the field longer, but we have consistently struggled to score in big games where the opposing team has a good defense and we use the slowed down mode of offense.
I still recall Rogers in his early days exploiting all defenses, and did it without the superstar names at WR and RB. In fact, that style of offense created new superstars on the team once they got the hand of it.
So go no-huddle, hurry-up. Peyton Manning was a prime example of how you can continue to win games with inferior teams way past his prime. Rogers can too if the coaches would quit trying to outcoach the game.
Defensively, we are as good as any other team on a given day. But we have to stay aggressive, jam the TE at the line of scrimmage and get pressure on the QB. The passive, soft, prevent style gives up tons on yards and points to below average teams.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been begging for the Packer offense to go back to the Run and Shoot mode, starting from the first play of the game. This plan, coupled with the hurry-up/no-huddle offense was unstoppable and putting up points by the truckload for several years after our last SB win. When McCarthy decided he could outcoach the game and slowed things down, we have not been the same since. New coach following suit, same slowed down mentality as McCarthy. Am I the only one that recalls shredding defenses to the tune of 20-27 pts in the first half alone ?
With the play clock counting down towards "0", AR does not have enough time to dissect the defense and make adjustments. The defense gets a rest between plays and gets to substitute at will. I realize that ball control runs the clock and keeps the defense on the field longer, but we have consistently struggled to score in big games where the opposing team has a good defense and we use the slowed down mode of offense.
I still recall Rogers in his early days exploiting all defenses, and did it without the superstar names at WR and RB. In fact, that style of offense created new superstars on the team once they got the hand of it.
So go no-huddle, hurry-up. Peyton Manning was a prime example of how you can continue to win games with inferior teams way past his prime. Rogers can too if the coaches would quit trying to outcoach the game.
Defensively, we are as good as any other team on a given day. But we have to stay aggressive, jam the TE at the line of scrimmage and get pressure on the QB. The passive, soft, prevent style gives up tons on yards and points to below average teams.
Yeah I remember that. And it's a great way to a) score points and b) control TOP. By Q4, most opponent Ds are gassed. Some of these coaches are too clever for their own good. The "hurry up" doesn't have to be run all the time or it would gas the players on O. But even if it was run half of the time, it would produce more Ws than Ls. And now that you mention it, I can't remember the last season they used it. I didn't see it this season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Welcome aboard JT. Nice first post. I don't think you managed to tick anyone off with your post but there will be plenty of time for that. Your method is certainly one option but if you take the time to go through some of the post around here you will see some very well presented arguments on just how well AR does with the time he takes. When the play clock runs down to zero that is exactly what he is doing, dissecting the defense and making adjustments and there is a very good argument that he does a very good job of it. He takes all of the play clock time to see how the defense is lined up and to see if he can catch them in a mistake.

Your plan, and it can work, calls for quick maybe limited play calls, quick or no huddle, snap the ball run the play that was called because there is no time to see how the defense is set up to make changes. Essentially you are trying to tire the defense out and you are hoping to catch them in a mistake because they don't have a chance to react and change their personnel or their schemes. AR's preferred method is the opposite see what personnel and scheme they go with and try to exploit it.

I'm not saying one is better than the other and I think it depends a lot on who is running the offense. A guy like Rodgers is much more adept at doing things his way than a lesser QB may be. It may be something we will see if Love gets his chance.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome aboard JT. Nice first post. I don't think you managed to tick anyone off with your post but there will be plenty of time for that. Your method is certainly one option but if you take the time to go through some of the post around here you will see some very well presented arguments on just how well AR does with the time he takes. When the play clock runs down to zero that is exactly what he is doing, dissecting the defense and making adjustments and there is a very good argument that he does a very good job of it. He takes all of the play clock time to see how the defense is lined up and to see if he can catch them in a mistake.

Your plan, and it can work, calls for quick maybe limited play calls, quick or no huddle, snap the ball run the play that was called because there is no time to see how the defense is set up to make changes. Essentially you are trying to tire the defense out and you are hoping to catch them in a mistake because they don't have a chance to react and change their personnel or their schemes. AR's preferred method is the opposite see what personnel and scheme they go with and try to exploit it.

I'm not saying one is better than the other and I think it depends a lot on who is running the offense. A guy like Rodgers is much more adept at doing things his way than a lesser QB may be. It may be something we will see if Love gets his chance.
I think the team can play hurry up and still take time off the clock. Once he's under center, or more likely, in shotgun, Rodgers can take his time assessing the D. Yeah the hurry up runs better when it's just that - hurry up. But running no huddle still allows for time to assess the D and prevent substitutions. Of course, stopping substitutions between plays is a knife that cuts both ways.

Finally, hurry up doesn't need to be run every game. It depends on the opponent. It seemed like there was very little of it in the last weeks/month of the season and in the (limited) playoffs. I don't have stats on that. Just a reaction to what I thought I saw.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the team can play hurry up and still take time off the clock. Once he's under center, or more likely, in shotgun, Rodgers can take his time assessing the D. Yeah the hurry up runs better when it's just that - hurry up. But running no huddle still allows for time to assess the D and prevent substitutions. Of course, stopping substitutions between plays is a knife that cuts both ways.

Finally, hurry up doesn't need to be run every game. It depends on the opponent. It seemed like there was very little of it in the last weeks/month of the season and in the (limited) playoffs. I don't have stats on that. Just a reaction to what I thought I saw.

I hate it when Rodgers takes his time…results in wasted timeouts too often lol

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone has differing opinions on AR, just like 15 years ago with Brett Favre...

But at least we can ALL agree that this Packers FO and Management is just TERRIBLE and completely inept. I'm being objective and realistic that both HOF QBs had choke jobs in the playoffs, although they're BOTH probably easily Top 15 QBs of ALL time.

But the way this FO mismanages the Salary Cap, the Special Teams, up and down defenses season to season, wasted draft picks or busts, etc.

When does it end?

When can the FO and Management STOP mishandling and mismanaging this franchise so TERRIBLY, especially when you've had the MOST IMPORTANT piece to the puzzle for the Past 30 YEARS??!?!?
Listen to Brady Popinga's interview about what he was told in the office season after the Superbowl win. This started with Ted, it's byproduct of Ted...and we've not managed to dig out of it YET!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate it when Rodgers takes his time…results in wasted timeouts too often lol
Oh man Ty you brought up the one Rodgers pet peeve, or maybe it's a team pet peeve. They always seem to burn one TO per half because Rodgers didn't have time to get them lined up his way, or they were slow or indecisive - the reason doesn't matter but the lost TO does matter. What's with that anyway? Ah never mind, season's over.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh man Ty you brought up the one Rodgers pet peeve, or maybe it's a team pet peeve. They always seem to burn one TO per half because Rodgers didn't have time to get them lined up his way, or they were slow or indecisive - the reason doesn't matter but the lost TO does matter. What's with that anyway? Ah never mind, season's over.
That drove me crazy too. I hope this is fixed going forward no matter who our QB is.

Members online

Latest posts