Packers agree with Tolzien on one-year deal

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Good. As the linked article says, he had a 112.0 passer rating in completing 38-of-56 passes for 477 yards and three touchdowns in the preseason and outplayed Flynn. Yes, preseason isn't the regular season and I understand the nay-sayers on Tolzien (HRE ;)) but I am glad he'll get another offseason to prove himself.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another good move. Wonder if anybody's getting any sleep at 1265 Lombardi lately; they've been busy, and I have a feeling they're just warming up.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Good. As the linked article says, he had a 112.0 passer rating in completing 38-of-56 passes for 477 yards and three touchdowns in the preseason and outplayed Flynn. Yes, preseason isn't the regular season and I understand the nay-sayers on Tolzien (HRE ;)) but I am glad he'll get another offseason to prove himself.

With the increased salary for Tolzien I guess the Packers see him as the primary backup for next season and they'll bring in a developmental prospect. Don't see Flynn coming back.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally disagree. Not sure why they keep resigning players who have been given a shot and do not produce. Confused.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Totally disagree. Not sure why they keep resigning players who have been given a shot and do not produce. Confused.

Tolzien was brought in after training camp in 2013 and had to start only several weeks later. I really don't know what you expected out of him under these circumstances but although he made some crucial mistakes he showed a lot of promise IMO.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree with this move. Tolzien is young has a nice arm and I think he can develop into a very good back up. Flynn is done here he did a nice job as our back up but his time is up. What do you want the Pack to do? Have no back up QB? Now I am confused!

Sky King

Reaction score
Flynn has proven himself to be a National championship QB; gamer as a collegian and a pro; come-backer in both; and a Packer record holder despite rather limited opportunities. Tolzien has yet to prove anything of the sort. But here's hoping that Tolzien finds the same kind of success as a Packer that Flynn has earned, and then some. Plus, at least some appreciation and a greater measure of respect for having done so.

H

HardRightEdge

With the increased salary for Tolzien I guess the Packers see him as the primary backup for next season and they'll bring in a developmental prospect. Don't see Flynn coming back.
That's the way it looks. All the more reason to sign Bulaga to keep Rodgers upright.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn has proven himself to be a National championship QB; gamer as a collegian and a pro; come-backer in both; and a Packer record holder despite rather limited opportunities. Tolzien has yet to prove anything of the sort. But here's hoping that Tolzien finds the same kind of success as a Packer that Flynn has earned, and then some. Plus, at least some appreciation and a greater measure of respect for having done so.

Right, so lets bring in Tebow. I mean talk about a gamer with championships and come backs.

Or we could bring the guy that the staff has been watching practice for years. Either or. Im sure they are making a mistake by not signing Tebow.

Sky King

Reaction score
Right, so lets bring in Tebow. I mean talk about a gamer with championships and come backs.

Or we could bring the guy that the staff has been watching practice for years. Either or. Im sure they are making a mistake by not signing Tebow.
That bit of sarcasm and condescension cannot detract from the fact that Flynn has accomplished some indisputable and notable achievements as a pro. For example, he set and now shares the Packers record for most TDs in a game. Also, he did lead the 2013 comeback against Dallas with five second-half scoring drives in a row. Those are facts. And he did so with quite limited opportunities to deliver such performances. As a collegian he was the QB of a National championship team. That, too, is factual. I do not believe that being a gamer is a bad thing. Still don't. Well, to each his own.

As I had commented in my previous post, I hope that Tolzien succeeds beyond what Flynn has accomplished. Doing so would not diminish Flynn's successes. And appreciating what Flynn has accomplished as a Packer is not an act of disrespect towards Tolzien nor vice-versa when Tolzien is complimented for having a good arm. It does not need to be only one or the other, at least not for me. I like both players. And the implication that I am critical of the Packers for signing Tolzien is pure fiction on your part. I have no problem with the signing. And lest we forget, the same Packer brain trust that signed Tolzien also signed Flynn to a contract. Twice.

But my opinion that Flynn is not being respected enough for what he's accomplished still stands. Your reaction to my opinion does seem to help prove the point, though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me Flynn is like A Quarless....if you watch practice or pre-season he's ho-hum. But they both a pure gamers....

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They both have their skill sets. I don't think Tebow and Flynn compare in any way at all, so i'm not even going there. I think Flynn is probably the smarter of the 2 in terms of what needs to be done and what's coming at him. Tolzien seems a little predetermined with what is going to happen and doesn't see the field quite the same, but man can he throw a nice ball, especially the deep ball. It really surprised me how well he threw. and he works hard, and he's younger. I think he'll be fine as back up going forward. Flynn was not a bad guy to have behind Rodgers at all. Thankful that he eventually made his way back here, but his arm isn't getting stronger

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing about Flynn is, if you cut him, and later on for some reason you find you need him, there's a better than average chance that he'll be available.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing about Flynn is, if you cut him, and later on for some reason you find you need him, there's a better than average chance that he'll be available.

True I don't foresee anyone picking him up before injuries and such come to teams. He'll be there if needed....but let's not discuss this "concept" further :)

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We know Flynns ceiling, had a chance in Seattle and Oakland and he's back holding a clipboard. He's a clipboard holder. If we can sign him for clip board holder money then by all means do so, but he is what he is at this point. I feel comfortable going with Tolzien and a development guy. We know what the Packers are without RODGERS..... Not a playoff caliber football team

H

HardRightEdge

We know what the Packers are without RODGERS..... Not a playoff caliber football team.
That's not the point of the franchise QB's backup.

As I've noted several times, including before the 2013 season, you want a guy who can come in for a few games and beat some bad-to-mediocre teams thereby holding down the fort until "the man" returns. Flynn demonstrated precisely that in 2013. Tolzien did not.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That bit of sarcasm and condescension cannot detract from the fact that Flynn has accomplished some indisputable and notable achievements as a pro. For example, he set and now shares the Packers record for most TDs in a game. Also, he did lead the 2013 comeback against Dallas with five second-half scoring drives in a row. Those are facts. And he did so with quite limited opportunities to deliver such performances. As a collegian he was the QB of a National championship team. That, too, is factual. I do not believe that being a gamer is a bad thing. Still don't. Well, to each his own.

As I had commented in my previous post, I hope that Tolzien succeeds beyond what Flynn has accomplished. Doing so would not diminish Flynn's successes. And appreciating what Flynn has accomplished as a Packer is not an act of disrespect towards Tolzien nor vice-versa when Tolzien is complimented for having a good arm. It does not need to be only one or the other, at least not for me. I like both players. And the implication that I am critical of the Packers for signing Tolzien is pure fiction on your part. I have no problem with the signing. And lest we forget, the same Packer brain trust that signed Tolzien also signed Flynn to a contract. Twice.

But my opinion that Flynn is not being respected enough for what he's accomplished still stands. Your reaction to my opinion does seem to help prove the point, though.

You missed what I was getting at. What Flynn did 4 seasons ago is irrelevant at this point. Brett favre should be considered if we are looking at 4 seasons ago.
Since that great game 4 seasons ago you have seen him bounce around the league and get dumped due to famously poor study habits. Can't get the playbook is what was said. I'm sure you're dismissive of that as it's not on the field. So watch the tape of last season during preseason. Tolzien has vastly improved and Flynn has regressed. The best writers wrote extensively on this last season early on with them singing praise of Tolzien.

No reason to try and hold onto the past accomplishments of flynns college career, or big game 4 seasons ago. It's irrelevant at this point, and no that's not being disrespective to the game that Matt Flynn played against the lions. Just like the guy in college wearing his letterman jacket around, we are all impressed for what you accomplished years ago, unfortunately it's just not relevant anymore. This is a what have you done lately and what will you do league.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They both have their skill sets. I don't think Tebow and Flynn compare in any way at all, so i'm not even going there. I think Flynn is probably the smarter of the 2 in terms of what needs to be done and what's coming at him. Tolzien seems a little predetermined with what is going to happen and doesn't see the field quite the same, but man can he throw a nice ball, especially the deep ball. It really surprised me how well he threw. and he works hard, and he's younger. I think he'll be fine as back up going forward. Flynn was not a bad guy to have behind Rodgers at all. Thankful that he eventually made his way back here, but his arm isn't getting stronger
When someone brings up them being a "gamer", their college career, leading a come back when they didn't really deserve much credit for it, and what they did 4 seasons ago... Yeah they do compare well.

As far as types of quarterbacks or accepting of the bench, no they don't.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As I've noted several times, including before the 2013 season, you want a guy who can come in for a few games and beat some bad-to-mediocre teams thereby holding down the fort until "the man" returns. Flynn demonstrated precisely that in 2013. Tolzien did not.
That is not anywhere near a fair comparison. The important caveat to that statement is Flynn was first trained in the Packers offense in 2008 and had four years of training in McCarthy's complicated offense before leaving in FA. I think it’s safe to say after four years in a particular NFL offense, particularly the first one learned, engrains it in the mind of any QB paying attention.

OTOH, Tolzien was signed to the Packers practice squad on September 1, 2013. He stayed on the PS for 65 days until after Rodgers got hurt vs. the Bears. It's safe to say he received no snaps with the first team offense during that time. He spent 6 days on the active roster preparing as Wallace’s backup before entering his first game as a Packer against the Eagles. He then prepared for 6 days as the starter for the Giants game.

The nearest thing to a fair competition happened in the 2014 preseason. Yes it was only preseason but Tolzien outplayed Flynn with a 112 QB rating vs. a 82.3 rating. Again it was only preseason and QB rating is not close to being a perfect stat. Tolzien is in the process of being immersed in the Packers offense. From everything I’ve read I believe he’s more dedicated than Flynn and from everything I’ve seen he’s more physically talented. I look forward to their competition if Flynn stays in Green Bay.

H

HardRightEdge

That is not anywhere near a fair comparison. The important caveat to that statement is Flynn was first trained in the Packers offense in 2008 and had four years of training in McCarthy's complicated offense before leaving in FA. I think it’s safe to say after four years in a particular NFL offense, particularly the first one learned, engrains it in the mind of any QB paying attention.

OTOH, Tolzien was signed to the Packers practice squad on September 1, 2013. He stayed on the PS for 65 days until after Rodgers got hurt vs. the Bears. It's safe to say he received no snaps with the first team offense during that time. He spent 6 days on the active roster preparing as Wallace’s backup before entering his first game as a Packer against the Eagles. He then prepared for 6 days as the starter for the Giants game.

The nearest thing to a fair competition happened in the 2014 preseason. Yes it was only preseason but Tolzien outplayed Flynn with a 112 QB rating vs. a 82.3 rating. Again it was only preseason and QB rating is not close to being a perfect stat. Tolzien is in the process of being immersed in the Packers offense. From everything I’ve read I believe he’s more dedicated than Flynn and from everything I’ve seen he’s more physically talented. I look forward to their competition if Flynn stays in Green Bay.
With Tolzien you're guessing he'll become something he's never been. As it is, it's a one year deal for Tolzien...that's hardly an endorsement of the potential.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
With Tolzien you're guessing he'll become something he's never been. As it is, it's a one year deal for Tolzien...that's hardly an endorsement of the potential.
Actually my main point is your comparison of Flynn and Tolzien failed to take into account their vast difference in familiarity with the Packers offense. As to his contract, they are interested enough to give him a chance to compete for the #2 job.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's a low-risk, hedge-your-bets move that Ted has become famous for. The Pack seems to like what they have seen so far from Tolzien, but not enough for a long-term contract. The memories of Graham Harrell and BJ Coleman are fresh.........

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers eeked out 2 one point wins during Flynns shining moment as a backup in 2013, he also led them to a but stomping by 30 against Detroit and a TD loss to Pittsburg .... So he was 4 points from an O-fer.....NOT a quality backup

NOT the kind of performance that leads me to say OMG I can't believe Green Bay is considering going with Tolzien over that stud Flynn...

Flynn has had his opportunities, other than one game during our 15-1 season, he's never risen to the occaission. If GB is ready to move on I can see why

All in all its a position that could use upgrading

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts