Packers agree with Tolzien on one-year deal

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd never sign a backup to a long term deal unless you think they may have the potential to start (hence you can trade them), I wouldn't say either of these guys fill that bill

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Signing a backup with a lot of money. Really wonder what people and teams are thinking. As in the end, if they do not produce, they will regret it!

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers eeked out 2 one point wins during Flynns shining moment as a backup in 2013, he also led them to a but stomping by 30 against Detroit and a TD loss to Pittsburg .... So he was 4 points from an O-fer.....NOT a quality backup

NOT the kind of performance that leads me to say OMG I can't believe Green Bay is considering going with Tolzien over that stud Flynn...

Flynn has had his opportunities, other than one game during our 15-1 season, he's never risen to the occaission. If GB is ready to move on I can see why

All in all its a position that could use upgrading
Excellent analysis and I agree. You can add the fact that Aaron is now on the wrong side of 30 and I get nervous about the situation.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Excellent analysis and I agree. You can add the fact that Aaron is now on the wrong side of 30 and I get nervous about the situation.

Rodgers is still in his prime and has a lot of great seasons left in him. I don´t worry about him at all.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is still in his prime and has a lot of great seasons left in him. I don´t worry about him at all.

I agree...however scary thought is GB in the next couple years has to truly think about exploring potential real options to be groomed for post AR era. At some point I think we have to be pro-active with it...cannot expect another AR to drop to us. For a year or two though I say we are good to go, but I would consider some 5th or 6th round picks at QB just to see if a gem is uncovered.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree...however scary thought is GB in the next couple years has to truly think about exploring potential real options to be groomed for post AR era. At some point I think we have to be pro-active with it...cannot expect another AR to drop to us. For a year or two though I say we are good to go, but I would consider some 5th or 6th round picks at QB just to see if a gem is uncovered.
If a gem is uncovered, he'll be gone after 4 years. Anybody worth having as a backup will want to compete for a starting job eventually; he's not going sit around for 7 or 10 years waiting for the opportunity and you would not want him to as he'll rot on the bench.

Of course the Packers should seek backups of some quality. It is several years premature to be thinking about a successor.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a gem is uncovered, he'll be gone after 4 years. Anybody worth having as a backup will want to compete for a starting job eventually; he's not going sit around for 7 or 10 years waiting for the opportunity and you would not want him to as he'll rot on the bench.

Of course the Packers should seek backups of some quality. It is several years premature to be thinking about a successor.

Wait....you think AR is gonna be going strong when he's 39-42 years old? I think we have 3-5 years of stud play from him, than it becomes year to year type. Every player breaks down, even the best.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Of course no one knows how long any particular player’s career will last but I too think you are ‘jumping the gun’. Tom Brady is going to be 38 years old before the coming season. Peyton Manning is a year older and overcame a serious injury at an “old” age for QBs. Those are just two examples but IMO Rodgers will be able to play into his late 30’s if he wants to.

If the Packers don’t sign Flynn I think it’s likely they’ll draft a QB in the later rounds but not with an eye towards Rodgers’ replacement. Unless Rodgers suffers a career-ending injury, IMO finding his replacement is more than 5 seasons away.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See my later post I even stated myself 3-5 years I feel is the prime window of AR. Meaning in those years never reach for a QB or care to pick one up in FA...but continue to draft hungry young fellas in late rounds or as non-drafted FAs...but in 3 or 4 seasons the forecast of the future will need thought about and the health of AR then....and serious consideration to next time frame should occur.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Wait....you think AR is gonna be going strong when he's 39-42 years old? I think we have 3-5 years of stud play from him, than it becomes year to year type. Every player breaks down, even the best.

Brady just won the Super Bowl at 37, Peyton won his fifth MVP award in 2013 at the same age. Rodgers is only 31, way too premature to think about his successor.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady just won the Super Bowl at 37, Peyton won his fifth MVP award in 2013 at the same age. Rodgers is only 31, way too premature to think about his successor.

Yup and in 5 years he'll be 36 and yes depending on health will most definitely be appropriate then.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree...however scary thought is GB in the next couple years has to truly think about exploring potential real options to be groomed for post AR era.
It's a good idea to have walked this back but let's not pretend you didn't post it.

H

HardRightEdge

Actually my main point is your comparison of Flynn and Tolzien failed to take into account their vast difference in familiarity with the Packers offense. As to his contract, they are interested enough to give him a chance to compete for the #2 job.
I'm interested enough to see who that competition will be. ;) In the absence of vet signing, it would be competition in name only.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Will Flynn have any options? They only guaranteed Tolzien $100K so it's not like Flynn couldn't beat him out for the #2 job.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Will Flynn have any options? They only guaranteed Tolzien $100K so it's not like Flynn couldn't beat him out for the #2 job.

Tolzien´s contract includes another $100,000 in workout bonuses so it´s actually $200,000 in guarantees. I agree the Packers could still cut him but I think the Packers are counting on him to be the primary backup in 2015.

H

HardRightEdge

Will Flynn have any options?
Flynn's reputation was severely damaged after the Seattle/Oakland/Buffalo failures. So it's hard to see anybody making a serious play for him. Then again, there are 31 other teams, nearly all QBs coming out of college these days are two-year projects, the FA class was weak, and there are a raft of vet journeyman backups with multiple failures on their record.

Somebody beside the Packers might see him as a viable backup option.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I didn't realize Tolzien will get $200K guaranteed but you're right they'll cut him if he doesn't work out. I think the vet minimum for Flynn would be $870K, it does seem like at least one team would be interested at that price. And even though Flynn cashed in at Seattle, $870K (or thereabouts) is $870K.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not the point of the franchise QB's backup.

As I've noted several times, including before the 2013 season, you want a guy who can come in for a few games and beat some bad-to-mediocre teams thereby holding down the fort until "the man" returns. Flynn demonstrated precisely that in 2013. Tolzien did not.

Meh. Your pessimism relies on the assumption that Flynn and Tolzien are the same players today that they were a year and a half ago. I don't think that's the case.

By and large, our organizational success over the past 20+ years hasn't been built on doubling down for past performance and the coaching staff is in a better position than we are to gauge which backup makes the most sense for next season.

H

HardRightEdge

Meh. Your pessimism relies on the assumption that Flynn and Tolzien are the same players today that they were a year and a half ago. I don't think that's the case.
job
By and large, our organizational success over the past 20+ years hasn't been built on doubling down for past performance and the coaching staff is in a better position than we are to gauge which backup makes the most sense for next season.
The organizational success with backup QBs over the past 2+ seasons has included Harrell, Coleman, Wallace and Vince Young. I don't believe any of those guys found another NFL job after leaving the Packers. The organization dumped Harrell and Coleman at the 11th. hour. They were developmental guys...and then suddenly they were not.

With the exception of Flynn, who was the last developmental Packer QB to win an NFL game for anybody?

And it's not like Tolzien is some spring chicken where the potential has yet to be explored. He'll be 28 on opening day in his 5th. year in the league.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The organizational success with backup QBs over the past 2+ seasons has included Harrell, Coleman, Wallace and Vince Young. I don't believe any of those guys found another NFL job after leaving the Packers. The organization dumped Harrell and Coleman at the 11th. hour. They were developmental guys...and then suddenly they were not.

With the exception of Flynn, who was the last developmental Packer QB to win an NFL game for anybody?

And it's not like Tolzien is some spring chicken where the potential has yet to be explored. He'll be 28 on opening day in his 5th. year in the league.

Tolzien has an NFL-caliber arm (something that can't be said about Flynn anymore) and from everything I've heard he's an intelligent guy and a hard worker.

He showed a lot of promise during his playing time in 2013. The mistakes had to be expected at that point though as the Packers only brought him in two months earlier.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tolzien has an NFL-caliber arm (something that can't be said about Flynn anymore) and from everything I've heard he's an intelligent guy and a hard worker.
Im friends with one of his college teammates who said he was by far the smartest kid on the team. For what thats worth. I never knew scott myself.

Members online

Latest posts