-Lost OG Jon Runyan Jr
-Lost S Darnell Savage
-Signed FS Xavier McKinney
-Signed RB Josh Jacobs
-Re-signed CB/KR Keisean Nixon
-Re-signed RB A.J. Dillon

Implications:

-RB:
With Jacobs in-house to handle the lead role and Dillon back as a 3rd down back, the need at RB is lessened considerably. The focus is probably also narrowed down to speedier change of pace players who can win the edge. Guys like Tyrone Tracy (Purdue), Trey Benson (Florida State), Jaylen Wright (Tennessee), Will Shipley (Clemson), Isaac Guerendo (Louisville).

-OL: The Packers have viable options at every position, but the depth is lacking across the board. They also could use real competition at most spots. I would expect as many as three offensive line picks in this year's draft.

-LB: It would seem plausible that Hafley and the staff really like McDuffie, but even if that's the case, they still need to add a lot at linebacker. I would expect a backer to be selected somewhere in the first two rounds.

-CB: After bringing back Nixon and Ballentine, the Packers have Alexander, Valentine, Stokes, Nixon, and Ballentine at corner. They will certainly still add a corner and could do so as early as #25 if the right player falls to them. But pressing need at the position isn't going to be a driving factor unless they move someone currently on the roster.

-S: The high end investment in McKinney, a player with true single-high ability, confirms to me that Hafley plans to play a good deal of cover 1. This means that the other safety will spend a good bit of time in the box. Consequently, the Packers will likely be looking for a player with the size/skills for box work. I'm thinking of guys like Jaden Hicks (Washington State), Cole Bishop (Utah), Kitan Oladapo (Oregon State), Dominique Hampton (Washington).

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spot on as usual. The only positions we might keep an eye on are DL and Edge. Depending on how Hafley views our defensive front, we only have one player that fits a the mold of a true nose in Slayton. We may want depth there since we know how our run defense struggled. Also, Preston is getting up there so we may look for Edge depth.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Spot on as usual. The only positions we might keep an eye on are DL and Edge. Depending on how Hafley views our defensive front, we only have one player that fits a the mold of a true nose in Slayton. We may want depth there since we know how our run defense struggled. Also, Preston is getting up there so we may look for Edge depth.

I don’t know what Hafley’s intentions are on the DL, but if he wants something in the mold of San Francisco, he probably won’t have them shopping for big 2 gapping DT’s. The Niners have prioritized length and explosive distribution inside.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-LB: It would seem plausible that Hafley and the staff really like McDuffie, but even if that's the case, they still need to add a lot at linebacker. I would expect a backer to be selected somewhere in the first two rounds.
Now that Devondre Campbell is gone, LB is even more of a need. Packers seem to be looking hard at Edgerrin Cooper. He'd be a nice round 2 pick.

And then there's Payton Wilson.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know what Hafley’s intentions are on the DL, but if he wants something in the mold of San Francisco, he probably won’t have them shopping for big 2 gapping DT’s. The Niners have prioritized length and explosive distribution inside.
Ya, I've seen that said before on here and why I recommended Kris Jenkins for that role in that sort of a system, but we still would need a run stopper in the middle or at least depth there. I'm genuinely curious though, are people assuming he wants a 49ers type front because he was the defensive backs coach with them or is there additional supporting evidence?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ya, I've seen that said before on here and why I recommended Kris Jenkins for that role in that sort of a system, but we still would need a run stopper in the middle or at least depth there. I'm genuinely curious though, are people assuming he wants a 49ers type front because he was the defensive backs coach with them or is there additional supporting evidence?

Nope— no evidence other than his connections there and with Seattle. I’m not assuming it’s what he will do, but it’s something to go on I suppose.

Members online

Latest posts