Official week 17 lion game

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rush 4 drop everyone else..everyone who has a clue knows this is how Detroit will defend Rodgers. The line has to be on point and mM has to be creative and find ways to get the rbs involved in the passing game as well as Cobb seeing time in the backfield as a runner and wr. If we had a tightend it would help out but we don't. Also would like to see more screens...has mM not noticed they actually work with Lacy?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our Oline is blocking much better now than they were last time they faced the Lions. I also think Lacy is seeing the holes better than he was the first half of the year. If you're only rushing 4, why screens? the linebackers are sitting right there to clean things up and can close in a hurry.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's nice to see some things never change. I hope we can count on the same undisciplined play by the Lions and they'll make an early exit

D

Deleted member 6794

It's nice to see some things never change. I hope we can count on the same undisciplined play by the Lions and they'll make an early exit

Don't count on the Lions beating themselves, they're different team under Caldwell.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what everyone keeps telling me, but it's kind of the same. They've been becoming less disciplined as the season has wore on. Yesterday was a good demonstration.

Anyway, I don't care how the beat themselves or not, if GB plays a good game, the Lions won't have to help us beat them anyway. That said, It's nice to see the Lions peaking in their usual ways right before the playoffs :)

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score

I hope this becomes bulletin board material in the Packer's lockeroom.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm sure the Packers or Lions don't really care what I have to say. But if I do make it up on the board, I guess I can say I've played my part :)

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shades of 1993 all over again.

This game is bringing back memories of the last time both teams were in this position. Ironically it was getting over-shadowed a little bit by the Badgers in the Rose Bowl that same week, but none the less was kind of important.

Packers and Lions met in Detroit for the NFC Central title come W17 of the 1993 season. Both teams 9-6. Detroit came out on top in that game 30-20 giving them ironically what was their last division title.

This set up a rematch in the WC round the following week in Detroit where the outcome was a little different.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This was the Packers first playoff win since '82 and even though they went to Dallas the following week and got smacked 35-9 by the start of Dallas' dynasty years, it was the start of sending both franchises on pretty opposite paths. Packers continued to have success in the 90's winning that SB while the Lions wallowed away in mediocrity with Barry Sanders before he retired and that continued into the 00's including 0-16 in 2008 while the Packers continued to field competitive teams and winning another title in 2010.

Now we're back here. Packers are the reigning division champions with the Lions fielding their best team in years with a legitimate chance to end a lot of misery against a team that has historically had their number since Favre came to town. The pressure is obliviously more on the Lions to end the streak and the Packers were in this same position a year ago going into that Chicago game and are 7-0 at home this season.

If we can protect the football and don't have the multitude of drops we did in Buffalo, this should be a win imo, but it won't be easy. I'm predicting 27-20 Packers, but crazier things have happened. Everything is in our favor with this game, and with a much needed first round bye on the line, hopefully this team shows up.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you watched any of their games? or just the W's and L's? you could argue those are most important, i'm not going to say they aren't, but their level of play and the discipline displayed by some players in those games looks awfully familiar. Dirty and undisciplined. I guess we'll find out

D

Deleted member 6794

Have you watched any of their games? or just the W's and L's? you could argue those are most important, i'm not going to say they aren't, but their level of play and the discipline displayed by some players in those games looks awfully familiar. Dirty and undisciplined. I guess we'll find out

IMO getting wins is kind of important ;). The Lions offense hasn't been good most of the season but their defense has been outstanding. I'm convinced they would have lost a lot of these close games last season with Schwartz running the show.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They probably would have, but playing like they have the past 4 weeks isn't going to beat any playoff teams, unless the playoff teams beat themselves. Considering the Suh stomp got a 2 game suspension. They might be looking at this week and their first playoff game with a new center. Not exactly a big deviation from the Schwartz years. They were lucky yesterday they were playing the Bears with a benched Cutler, Alshon with a worse case of drops than the Packers had in Buffalo, and no Marshall.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read on PFT that C Dominic Raiola maybe looking at a one game suspension for his stomp against the Bears on Sunday. They'd be starting a rookie at center if it happens.

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
Just read on PFT that C Dominic Raiola maybe looking at a one game suspension for his stomp against the Bears on Sunday. They'd be starting a rookie at center if it happens.

Travis Swanson. He's played a bit this year as people have gotten injured, and on special teams, but not at center yet. Personally, I think that even as a rookie, he is an upgrade over Raiola.

D

Deleted member 6794

Travis Swanson. He's played a bit this year as people have gotten injured, and on special teams, but not at center yet. Personally, I think that even as a rookie, he is an upgrade over Raiola.

Not sure about Swanson but Raiola has been terrible this season, so I don't expect the Lions to miss a beat if he gets suspended.

MichiganSportsTalk

Reaction score
Not sure about Swanson but Raiola has been terrible this season, so I don't expect the Lions to miss a beat if he gets suspended.

His run blocking isn't the greatest yet, but of the 4 games where he played > 80% of the snaps, he has been charged with only 1 sack. In relative Lions terms, that makes him an all-pro. He is bigger, younger and stronger than Raiola, and I really do think he would do much better than Raiola is capable of on his best day.

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His run blocking isn't the greatest yet, but of the 4 games where he played > 80% of the snaps, he has been charged with only 1 sack. In relative Lions terms, that makes him an all-pro. He is bigger, younger and stronger than Raiola, and I really do think he would do much better than Raiola is capable of on his best day.

The only thing is snapping and line calling that he hasnt had a lot of reps at this year.....I am sure he'll try but there are bound to be mistakes.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of that is great and he may be good, but it's a different ball of wax when you're in charge of calling out the protections and getting the snap of perfectly in addition to handling your opponent and not allowing a sack. That can be a tall task even for veterans moving into the center position. I'm not making a prediction, as I've never seen Swanson play, but merely pointing out that prior statistics aren't as useful to project his competence at center.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm more worried about a cheap-shot or 3 knocking out some of our players. Ziggy Ansah is learning from the veteran dirt-bags on their D ~ he dove head-first into Clausen yesterday and apparently concussed him. These Lion players are tools ~ taking-out fellow players. In Josh Sitton's November '13 words... "They’re a bunch of dirtbags or scumbags."

D

Deleted member 6794

NFL officially announces it has suspended Dominic Raiola for Sunday's game.

MichiganSportsTalk

Reaction score
All of that is great and he may be good, but it's a different ball of wax when you're in charge of calling out the protections and getting the snap of perfectly in addition to handling your opponent and not allowing a sack.

Well, Raiola hasn't been good at any of those things since last year.....

As far as Swanson, from his NFL draft profile:
"Prepped in Texas. Redshirted in 2009. Started all 50 games at center 2010-13. First two-time captain in Razorback history.

STRENGTHS Functional base in pass protection. Can work his hips and seal and execute combo blocks. Aware and alert -- good in-line reactions. Durable and battle-tested -- started all 50 games of his career and has experience locking horns with NFL-caliber defensive tackles. Highly respected two-time captain. Intelligent vocal leader with outstanding football character.

WEAKNESSES Needs to bulk up his frame and get stronger. Limited push, power and explosion -- too often content to stalemate. Does not play with a load in his hands. Tends to bend at the waist, lean and fall off blocks. Spends too much time on the ground. Struggles to sustain on the second level. Center only. Produced the fewest reps (20) of 225 pounds of any lineman at the combine."

He added some weight and strength since then and has done well at guard. It's not like he's never played center before, just never in the NFL. While I don't think he will turn heads out of the gate, I think he will be good enough to add some stability to the o-line.

MichiganSportsTalk

Reaction score
Ziggy Ansah is learning from the veteran dirt-bags on their D ~ he dove head-first into Clausen yesterday and apparently concussed him.

It's not as simple as that.

Ansah did lead with his helmet, so that should be a fine for sure, but watching the play in real time or even slow motion, Clausen had a blocker in front of him and was near the first down.

He didn’t start his slide until he realized that Forte wasn’t going to make a good block, and Ansah had already started to lunge/dive to make what he thought would be a first down stopping tackle (which wouldn't have been a head shot if Clausen didn't slide, which Ansah didn't appear to think he was going to do when he started to go for the tackle).

By the time Clausen was into his slide, Ansah had already committed to his movement and couldn’t stop himself. An ugly hit, yes. But I don’t think it was done to intentionally hurt Clausen.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as long as he's not taking cheap shots and stomping players after the whistle blows, I think who plays center is the least of our concerns.