Official game 11 Thanksgiving Day in Detroit pregame thread

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d be pretty shocked if we won (or if it was particularly close, to be honest) but to be fair I didn’t like our chances vs Chargers either. And the Bears really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory vs them yesterday… I’d like to think if the bears can keep it close and/or be in a position to win then we should be able to, too.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d be pretty shocked if we won (or if it was particularly close, to be honest) but to be fair I didn’t like our chances vs Chargers either.

The Packers have played better the last 2 weeks while the Lions have scuffled a little defensively the last 2 weeks so, I expect this to be a better game than the 1st meeting. I'd be surprised if they won, but I wouldn't be shocked.

They steal a win and the season takes on a whole different tone for the last 6 games. The "they should have tanked" fans will be upset though.

Either way, looking forward to the game to see how much progress they have made since the 1st meeting.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have played better the last 2 weeks while the Lions have scuffled a little defensively the last 2 weeks so, I expect this to be a better game than the 1st meeting. I'd be surprised if they won, but I wouldn't be shocked.

They steal a win and the season takes on a whole different tone for the last 6 games. The "they should have tanked" fans will be upset though.

Either way, looking forward to the game to see how much progress they have made since the 1st meeting.
They definitely will need to get to Goff in a hurry. W/O the type of blitzing that leaves the middle open. And they probably need to play a little deeper in the middle. Backpedaling when they see it isn't a run. imho

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d be pretty shocked if we won (or if it was particularly close, to be honest) but to be fair I didn’t like our chances vs Chargers either. And the Bears really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory vs them yesterday… I’d like to think if the bears can keep it close and/or be in a position to win then we should be able to, too.
The Lions are confident but they eked out their last two wins. They want to establish their new legacy and put naysayers to bed. So after just getting by recently they want to throttle the league and be a 1 or 2 seed. So they will be out to hammer us. They won't do anything fancy. Pound with Montgomery and play fake to their speedster and TE right in the teeth of our defense. They have proven they can win even with turnovers. As much as 1962 was an ugly Thanksgiving we can go back to the 80s and Walter Stanley returning a game winning Turkey Day punt for a 44-40 win.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel that the Lions might be in a bit of a slump right now. Happens to every team during a season, it's a long season can't stay sharp 18 weeks in a row.
This is a winnable game to me. It will depend on whether our OL shows up and what we do between now and then at RB.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A young and improving team coming off of a close win at home goes on the road on a short week against a better and healthier team who barely got by an inferior opponent. Any chance of Detroit taking the game for granted is gone after their performance against da Bears. Hoping not, but in my opinion this is a bad spot for the Pack.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel that the Lions might be in a bit of a slump right now. Happens to every team during a season, it's a long season can't stay sharp 18 weeks in a row.
Good teams find ways to win even on their down weeks. The Lions have done that. The Ravens went after them on both sides of the ball early and knocked them out. Their loss to Seattle really surprised me. What I do not like is playing them on a 4 day week instead of 7. We do that twice this season. With very little preparation our chances are slimmer yet. The Lions can easily just come out and play the same offense and defense they input week to week against most opponents.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not really surprised we beat the Chargers, but I expect us to get smoked on Thanksgiving. But you look at the Bears, and think if they kept it close we should be able to. Both teams have the short week. I know we don't do well after the bye usually, so there's that. Only thing is, I don't think we do well in a short week either?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, let's set some parameters here. Obviously, it doesn't seem anyone thinks we will win Thursday. I personally put those odds about 35% myself. But again, success in this season is not measured in wins, but rather by progress. So to me, success this week will look something like this:

No missed FGs.
4+ ypc from our rushing game
No interceptions resulting from "bad" throws.
No dropped passes.
Winning turnover battle.
Love passer rating 85+.
Points in the first quarter.
Touchdown in the first half.
Scoring at least 24.
Lions score no more than 24.
Goff sacked at least 3 times.
Love sacked not more than 3 times.
No kickoff returns past the 30 for Lions.
No punt returns more than 8 yards for Lions.
No special teams penalties on returns.
Total team penalties under 8 for the game.
Hold Lions to no more than 3 "explosive plays".
At least 3 "explosive plays" for us.

That's a start. And some of those will be easier to meet than others, as it should be. But if we can check off at least half of those Thursday, I'll consider the game a success. Anyone have any to add?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not really surprised we beat the Chargers, but I expect us to get smoked on Thanksgiving. But you look at the Bears, and think if they kept it close we should be able to. Both teams have the short week. I know we don't do well after the bye usually, so there's that. Only thing is, I don't think we do well in a short week either?
Yes, short weeks never benefit a very young team which is extremely banged up. Veteran teams may struggle with the turn around but know their roles and use their experience to adapt. The Chargers beat themselves. Losing Bosa at the get go certainly helped us. The drops and the needless interference penalty were gifts. But we'll take it. The Lions took the Bears lightly and finally woke up in the 4th quarter. I doubt they will look at us that way.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember getting stomped by them on Thanksgiving about 10 years ago..I think 40-10. I hope that doesn't happen this time around.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3rd down conversion rate in 45%+ range would be nice.

I'm surprised they are at around 43% for the season (8th in NFL).
There are some good signs with this offense for sure. I think the biggest thing they need to develop is consistency. We've seen what they're capable of.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It might get ugly

But

Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks have combined for 318 total yards and two touchdowns in the past two games.

Members online

Latest posts