Official Studs n Duds Bears

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
On that punt return TD the players and coaches should be embarrassed, and a little shameful, that so called professional allow their position play to be so, lets see PATHETIC is the word I’m looking for.

Reaction score
Studs. Really everyone played pretty good for GB (outside of ST coverage units).

D gave up a couple big plays early, but they covered this with a pick 6 + Redzone Takeaway (10 points scored by our Defense) Take away the 7 given up on ST and I have the D netting 30-7-10 or 13 points.
When you consider the field position ST gave Chicago? ? That’s very respectable due to starting around midfield often.

Duds: I will offer that Crosby was perfect I believe? Bojo did well also, but he shouldn’t be involved on multiple game saving tackles.

ST coverage hit new, all-time pathetic, low levels. We can’t go into the playoffs ignoring this anymore. The Pink ST Elephant needs to be called out yesterday. We have time to address this if it’s done immediately or it will be our demise. I’m sure Drayton is a nice guy, but this league isn’t run on the fuel of a personality contest. It’s performance based and a now? a total disaster.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bad special teams over a sustained stretch is ALWAYS a reflection on coaching, at least the way that I view it. Something is a miss and it needs to be addressed now.
I would tend to agree. it's still weird for me. I look at Drayton and he "appears" to be a well liked, intense without being a lunatic, he obviously takes care of himself, he always seems to be coaching and wonder, how do they suck so bad. he doesn't seem undisciplined, he doesn't seem uncaring, he doesn't seem to have checked out, and when he's talking players seem to be paying attention. Those things usually get you pretty good, at least average. They don't usually result in this level of suck, yet here we are.

It's a folly out there at times. Kicks were ok it seemed. Our coverages were abysmal and our returns weren't much better. I think we had 1 decent return, saved by a penalty on a game swinging muff and what was Malik Taylor doing? The onside, it was a good bounce for Da Bears, bad for us, but it was just hanging in the air. Go attack it! get it. don't wait for it.

Do we even have practice time dedicated to special teams? I don't think Malik is great by any means, I don't even like him much as a returner, but I can see his growth as a player, at least thru the preseason when he gets opportunity. Looks like someone that was a least putting in the work. That play he made was UDFA rookie in his first preseason game stuff. Not things a returner on a then 9-3 team coming off back to back NFCCG's does.

Somethings gotta change. that much needs to be obvious by now.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DUDS
-Coverage Teams specifically autrocious.
-OL first quarter was fearfully rough...came together as game progressed for sure though.

STUDS
-All Offensive skill positions basically
-Dennis Kelly for stepping in and up
-Henry Black, except for the one big play this cat has come to play lately in an awesome way IMO.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so enough of the special teams

Studs
Aaron Rodgers for being such an involved owner
Adams, Dillon and I'm going to give it to Lazard as well coming up with some big catches after a rough patch. His hands are back.
I wouldn't give Deguara a stud, but he had a nice game with some big catches and a couple nice blocks in there too. I love the smirk Rodgers gets every time he completes a pass to the Big Dawg LOL

Defensive studs
Rasul, Clark, Preston and Stokes I wasn't even sure was playing and he was on their best guy and shut him down. When your rookie is on their best guy and you never hear his name called until the end basically, you know he's doing a good job.

Duds, on more mention of the ST and injuries again.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with most everything above but need to add:

Stud: Mercedes Lewis. Could have been one if his best games as a Packer.

Fields - kid is fun to watch. Not ready to say the Bears finally got a QB, but he may be giving us troubles over his career.

OL coach - can't believe with all of our preferred starters out, we were still fielding an effective unit. Lucky their DT was out. May have been another story.

Dud refs - I thought we got some lucky calls. When Amari muffed the punt my understanding is the player has to get back inbounds right away which I thought he did. Saw bear line up offsides one play - how can they miss that?

As far as Special Teams go: this is on the coaches. Consistently making mistakes by multiple players - either get the players up to speed or get different players in there. Either it's Drayton for skill/preperation, MLF for not providing better ST guys, or maybe Gute for not getting a few ST aces at the bottom of the roster. I think it is mostly Drayton.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Fields - kid is fun to watch. Not ready to say the Bears finally got a QB, but he may be giving us troubles over his career.
I don't understand the obsession with him. All I have seen him do is play inconsistent. Most of his throws were 10 yards or less. He didn't stretch the field at all. His long TD pass was like 7 yards to a guy out of the backfield. His two TDs were more of WRs making plays. He went 18/33 for 224 yards, 2 TDs, 2 Ints, and a lost fumble. Even when he took off running it was just straight up the field. Nothing special. I can think of one good throw when he escaped the pocket. Other than that I liked watching him struggle. I get it. He's a rookie and all the excuses that go along with that.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with most everything above but need to add:

Stud: Mercedes Lewis. Could have been one if his best games as a Packer.
Big Dawg had a heck of a game but I've seen him impose his will in blocking better before. Most solely focus on his receptions last night, and could for sure say it was his most productive night receiving for sure...but I'd push back a touch saying best game as a Packer - much of what he brings to the Packers that makes him immensely valuable never shows up on stat lines but film.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had to listen. Luckily found the Packer station on the internet. From what I heard:
Studs: Rodgers, Adams, Lazard!, Lewis, Jones and Dillon, Douglas, Clark and Stokes because I didn't hear his name hardly. Maybe Deguara.
Duds: special teams
Confused: me and Malik Taylor. His one return a couple weeks ago...he looked very good. I guess if a ST coach can't really coach complicated things; he at least should coach keeping your head during the game.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the obsession with him. All I have seen him do is play inconsistent. Most of his throws were 10 yards or less. He didn't stretch the field at all. His long TD pass was like 7 yards to a guy out of the backfield. His two TDs were more of WRs making plays. He went 18/33 for 224 yards, 2 TDs, 2 Ints, and a lost fumble. Even when he took off running it was just straight up the field. Nothing special. I can think of one good throw when he escaped the pocket. Other than that I liked watching him struggle. I get it. He's a rookie and all the excuses that go along with that.

If someone doesn't see there is some stuff there in Fields that just isn't normally there for a rookie not sure how to get you to see it. Kid has the physical traits for sure to do well - can run, does have a fairly good deep ball and arm and is starting to show a feel for the pocket better. He is a rookie and shows his rookie nature at times for sure, but his unbaffled demeanor isn't something you can teach - and is arguably one of the main traits folks saw in Aaron Rodgers when he was young in the league. I don't see Fields ever being a Rodgers, he is not the pure passer Rodgers is, but if his physical traits and mental traits mesh and click I do feel the comps he draws with Dak and Russ are spot on comps.

Krabs

Reaction score
If someone doesn't see there is some stuff there in Fields that just isn't normally there for a rookie not sure how to get you to see it. Kid has the physical traits for sure to do well - can run, does have a fairly good deep ball and arm and is starting to show a feel for the pocket better. He is a rookie and shows his rookie nature at times for sure, but his unbaffled demeanor isn't something you can teach - and is arguably one of the main traits folks saw in Aaron Rodgers when he was young in the league. I don't see Fields ever being a Rodgers, he is not the pure passer Rodgers is, but if his physical traits and mental traits mesh and click I do feel the comps he draws with Dak and Russ are spot on comps.
Meh, I don't agree with that at all. Russ and Dak showed they were winners right from the start. Maybe he will be an average QB, but comparing him to those guys is a stretch. I just don't see it. Whatever though. I'm good with disagreeing and I'm good with being wrong if that ends up being the case.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Dud: MVS

When is he going to learn how to catch with his hands? At one point in the game, he takes a routine high point catch and looses it because he tried to pull it into his body, where the defenders hands were. Catch the damn ball with your hands when you need to! Same thing on the special teams, he must have called on his inner Brandon Bostick during the onside kick. Besides not being able to catch the ball with his hands, he wasn't smart enough to just knock the ball out of bounds. Good thing the muff rule was in play or we could be talking about a complete and utter collapse that surpassed what saw in the NFCCG against the Seahawks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think MVS really did anything wrong on the onside kick. Footballs bounce funny and this one did. was heading actually right OB and it took that last bounce and took a high hopper back to the inside. It happens.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh, I don't agree with that at all. Russ and Dak showed they were winners right from the start. Maybe he will be an average QB, but comparing him to those guys is a stretch. I just don't see it. Whatever though. I'm good with disagreeing and I'm good with being wrong if that ends up being the case.

You truly gotta stop looking at stats and W/L columns to base an entire stance on. Both Dak and Russ were later round picks when it comes to QBs, to a team with a better constructed rosters and Russ especially had an elite Defense. What Fields is exhibiting are traits those two would be the ceiling they direct one to. It isn't saying he will become one of them, but anyone that studies football or watches deeper than just as a fan can see it.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: O! Would have been an ugly loss had it not been for the O. Also, knew Lazard would come through with Cobb being out.

Ok Douglas gets a propsicle too.

Krabs

Reaction score
You truly gotta stop looking at stats and W/L columns to base an entire stance on. Both Dak and Russ were later round picks when it comes to QBs, to a team with a better constructed rosters and Russ especially had an elite Defense. What Fields is exhibiting are traits those two would be the ceiling they direct one to. It isn't saying he will become one of them, but anyone that studies football or watches deeper than just as a fan can see it.
I definitely watch a lot of football and Fields was an easy one to track with being on QB1 on Netflix. He has been a high profile player. It was not just the stats that I saw. It was the lack of stretching the field and then the inconsistency of his accuracy when he did get out of the pocket. Maybe that will come with time. I personally just don't see it. My personal opinion is that I think he will be average at best. Sure, talent around any player helps a lot. It is often said though that good QBs raise the level of play around them. To each their own. I just don't think he is going to make the jump. I was happy to see the Bears waste more draft capital on him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely watch a lot of football and Fields was an easy one to track with being on QB1 on Netflix. He has been a high profile player. It was not just the stats that I saw. It was the lack of stretching the field and then the inconsistency of his accuracy when he did get out of the pocket. Maybe that will come with time. I personally just don't see it. My personal opinion is that I think he will be average at best. Sure, talent around any player helps a lot. It is often said though that good QBs raise the level of play around them. To each their own. I just don't think he is going to make the jump. I was happy to see the Bears waste more draft capital on him.

I think his athleticism will keep him an above average QB as his bottom - right team around him he could even see some time on some successful teams. I however don't love the pairing of him with Nagy personally BUT as a Packer fan I hope they stay together LOL :)

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Rasul Douglas- Just continues to make big plays
Preston Smith- Made big plays when we needed it against inferior competition
Davante Adams- Terrific as usual

Duds:
Mo Drayton- Unit is poorly coached. Every week its something different. For Taylor to not know to let the ball go out of bounds is inexcusable
Matt Lafleur- Did you not self scout during the bye? 6 runs in the first half. Then when we started running in the 2nd half the offense hummed.
Brian Gutenkunst- Did you not self scout during the bye? How do you get into week 14 and see so many muffed punts and not bring in anything to fix this. There is no one on this roster to take over punt return duties.