Official raider game

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care if MM is calling the plays the passing game was not good in the Cowboy game they stayed with the run and the Cowboys could not stop them until we see improvement in the passing game still not feeling better the Cardinals will kill us if it does not get better !

I thought our Wrs were a lot faster. Cobb has some decent speed but Jones has become a no factor all of a sudden and Adams? Don't wanna give up on the guy but geeze at least look like you wanna be out there. I honestly would put Abby and Janis in for this game and sit Jones and Adams. The staff is sleeping on Janis I'm telling you. I see something in him I don't see in the other Wrs outside of Cobb. He plays angry and with a bit of a chip and I love that. If anything he's at least going to give you a chance to go deep and draw a penalty for some free yards. I'll take that over what were getting from Jones and Adams.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the game plan will be to go bump and run on the outside and then play soft coverage over the top to stop the run. Our passing game was not great against Dallas and the Raiders have a better secondary. It only gets tougher for our wideouts because Arizona has an even better secondary than Oakland and Dallas. If they stop the run?? Well, I can easily see this looking like the game they had against Denver last weekend with them winning again and Rodgers being sacked many times because he's holding the ball or running around waiting for these guys to get open.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the game plan will be to go bump and run on the outside and then play soft coverage over the top to stop the run. Our passing game was not great against Dallas and the Raiders has a better secondary. It only gets tougher for our wideouts because Arizona has an even better secondary than Oakland and Dallas. If they stop the run?? Well, I can easily see this looking like the game they had against Denver last weekend with them winning again.

Oaklands secondary overall isn't very good. I wouldn't place them much above Dallas overall that is for sure. Maybe similar but there isn't a gigantic gap between the two either. Remember last week Brock threw for over 300 yards, had a 10 minute time of possession lead, had 20 first downs to oaklands 8, and had a 310 to 126 total yards advantage. The part that killed them was not oaklands defense but turnovers where they lost that battle 0-2.

Oakland is however much better against the run and could limit that portion of the game.

I will also give a semi-pass to the offense last week. I live in GB and the weather was dreadful and damp. Not great for passing.

It's not a secret how the Packers pass game has been stopped lately. But it is also not unfixable. I still believe if the Packers execute at their best and Raiders at theirs. The Packers have more talent... And "should" win.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodell - I'm actually with you on sitting Adams. Either he is still injured or just doesn't have the goods right now.

I'm not sure if Abby or Janis really know the playbook well enough yet. They should. Assuming they know all of the routes and are practicing well, I'd be in favor of rotating them into the mix.

I believe that James Jones still has some veteran savvy receptions in him this season. He had a few against Dallas and should continue to contribute.

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought our Wrs were a lot faster. Cobb has some decent speed but Jones has become a no factor all of a sudden and Adams? Don't wanna give up on the guy but geeze at least look like you wanna be out there. I honestly would put Abby and Janis in for this game and sit Jones and Adams. The staff is sleeping on Janis I'm telling you. I see something in him I don't see in the other Wrs outside of Cobb. He plays angry and with a bit of a chip and I love that. If anything he's at least going to give you a chance to go deep and draw a penalty for some free yards. I'll take that over what were getting from Jones and Adams.
I couldn't agree more with yo about Abby and Janis looks like he can be a game changer really like the Kid a lot !

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodell - I'm actually with you on sitting Adams. Either he is still injured or just doesn't have the goods right now.

I'm not sure if Abby or Janis really know the playbook well enough yet. They should. Assuming they know all of the routes and are practicing well, I'd be in favor of rotating them into the mix.

I believe that James Jones still has some veteran savvy receptions in him this season. He had a few against Dallas and should continue to contribute.

Both are finishing their second seasons. If they don't know the playbook by now.....well, you can't fix stupid.

Uncle Rico

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the game plan will be to go bump and run on the outside and then play soft coverage over the top to stop the run. Our passing game was not great against Dallas and the Raiders have a better secondary. It only gets tougher for our wideouts because Arizona has an even better secondary than Oakland and Dallas. If they stop the run?? Well, I can easily see this looking like the game they had against Denver last weekend with them winning again and Rodgers being sacked many times because he's holding the ball or running around waiting for these guys to get open.

I am absolutely NOT one for underestimating opponents and expect the team is preparing for this game just like they would if they were playing any of the top tier teams in the league. But I think people are giving the Oakland defense more credit than they probably deserve after last week. Denver played some pretty awful offensive football and still had plenty of chances to win the ball game. Protect Rodgers and we'll be fine.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think they know the playbook but the after-snap adjustments require more than just memorizing the playbook. Adjusting their route 'on the fly' takes instincts and experience. It seems to me Abbrederis is there - or damn near there - and he has been getting more snaps. And if I were McCarthy, I'd simplify the adjustments for Janis for a certain number of plays each game. Make sure the other WRs' adjustments don't conflict with Janis' route (with maybe one adjustment) and you get a big fast WR on the field.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with TJV's analysis; it's about subtle difference makers in the craft of being an NFL WR. If it was a matter of them being too dense to learn the playbook, they'd have been gone a while ago.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I think they know the playbook but the after-snap adjustments require more than just memorizing the playbook. Adjusting their route 'on the fly' takes instincts and experience. It seems to me Abbrederis is there - or damn near there - and he has been getting more snaps. And if I were McCarthy, I'd simplify the adjustments for Janis for a certain number of plays each game. Make sure the other WRs' adjustments don't conflict with Janis' route (with maybe one adjustment) and you get a big fast WR on the field.

Getting Janis in there for some "simple" route runs (even as just a deep threat decoy to pull the defense safety and a fast corner out of the actual play) is such an unbelievably obvious thing to do-- considering how horrible our passing has been lately, yet, game after game, it does not happen.

I cannot think of a good reason why this is so. There must be a good reason, no? But, what...?

Imagine what an idiot McCarthy will look like if he plays Janis and the guy breaks free a couple times and Cobb suddenly starts having space to operate in the middle... It would be like, "Hey, Mike, read the forums, will ya?!"

;)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I cannot think of a good reason why this is so. There must be a good reason, no? But, what...?
I really don't know. Why not line him up wide by himself at least a few times on the outside? See if they give the CB safety help and if they do that takes away a DB from the other receivers. If they don't, that's certainly worth a couple of shots downfield. Here's what McGinn had to say about Janis in his grades column regarding STs:
It was the Jeff Janis show. Three times he hustled down on punts to tackle Whitehead for returns of minus-2. He beat single coverage by Carr on the first, then double-teams from Carr and Church on the last two. On the second, Carr shoved Janis five yards out of bounds, but he recovered and sped by the veteran cornerback to the ball. His speed was so much better than Carr's or Church's.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ting-back-on-track-b99633602z1-362171811.html
Janis was amazing covering punts - the best coverage by one player in one game I can remember. But the reason I brought it up is if teams go back to press coverage, it's evidence Janis could beat it as well, or better, than the other WRs. IMO when McCarthy went over the tape of the Dallas game with the team he should have showed those three plays and told the team Janis earned snaps from scrimmage with that great effort.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I imagine Ty Montgomery will be back this week too, given how close he was last week. It's been a while, but the offense seemed to play better when he was around.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care if MM is calling the plays the passing game was not good in the Cowboy game they stayed with the run and the Cowboys could not stop them until we see improvement in the passing game still not feeling better the Cardinals will kill us if it does not get better !

I agree, hopefully as the running game burst open for us in the Cowboys game so will the passing in the Raiders game and we can go into the Cardinals game with duel threats. Any given sunday. Just takes commitment to execution.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I imagine Ty Montgomery will be back this week too, given how close he was last week. It's been a while, but the offense seemed to play better when he was around.

I'm not getting my hopes up. Its been what nearly 10 weeks for ankle sprain.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't really want to get into another Janis debate, but just his size and speed alone doesn't seem to be enough for the coaches to have enough confidence in him to use him much on offense. If we had a really big, fast running back that couldn't find a hole to run through to save his life, I doubt he would be playing much either. I get why everyone hopes that he might trigger a better passing game, but it appears the coaching staff doesn't feel the same. Maybe his awesome play on special teams will help boost his confidence and he will start showing that same skill level at WR both in practice and during a game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He excels at ST because he has one job, one focus, and can use his ability. I'd also point out that as a WR he couldn't get pushed out of bounds and beat someone with his speed because he'd immediately be ineligible to catch a pass from the QB in the course of a normal play from scrimmage. Route running isn't just speed and strength, there's a lot of subtlety to it, and precision involved to get the timing of the majority of routes run today against an NFL defense. Because of the lack of plays, it would be nice to see him get a few packages a game, but it's not hard to cover a one trick pony in the NFL, they don't even need to use 2 guys to do it.

Until Janis can push hard down the field and stop on a dime for a back shoulder pass and read a defender to break his initial push up field to the inside or out and up and be on the same page as Rodgers, he could easily make this passing attack worse by being out there more.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if you put him in to run a simple slant route or drag route that would help. Any NFL wr can run a slant or drag route seriously. I'm not buying this theory he doesn't know the playbook or route adjustment garbage as this is his 2nd yr !!! and it's almost over! Same goes for Abrederis. The only thing that makes sense is they are trying to give Adams every oppertunity to lose or keep the job since he was drafted so high and they don't wanna give up on him in his second season? Adams played as a rookie and obviously knowing the adjustments and playbook wasn't an issue for him so how could it be for two guys going into their third season here? Not buying that.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He excels at ST because he has one job, one focus, and can use his ability. I'd also point out that as a WR he couldn't get pushed out of bounds and beat someone with his speed because he'd immediately be ineligible to catch a pass from the QB in the course of a normal play from scrimmage. Route running isn't just speed and strength, there's a lot of subtlety to it, and precision involved to get the timing of the majority of routes run today against an NFL defense. Because of the lack of plays, it would be nice to see him get a few packages a game, but it's not hard to cover a one trick pony in the NFL, they don't even need to use 2 guys to do it.

Until Janis can push hard down the field and stop on a dime for a back shoulder pass and read a defender to break his initial push up field to the inside or out and up and be on the same page as Rodgers, he could easily make this passing attack worse by being out there more.

False. Randy Moss will go down as the best deep threat wr of all time and is a sure 1st ballot hall of famer and his route running left a lot to be desired. almost all his touchdowns came off the go route and deep post...even when the other team new what was coming he still got open. If Janis runs a great go route and deep post what else do you need from the guy. You have Cobb working underneath and the tightend but their jobs are also easier because guess what? There's no safety there!!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so put him in a slant or drag, big deal, if he doesn't know enough to break in early to cover the defender or break it off and take it back out or up the field when he's already running a route, he's a one trick pony, easy to defend and just taking up space on the field. The fact that Abbrederis has seen the field more than Janis recently tells me he does know the book better, but he's way behind on reps and playing time because of injury. If he'd have been available from week one, I bet he'd be a regular guy on offense by now and on pace for a 30-40 catch season. But he can't stay on the field.

I think Adams would have been limited a lot more early on if we had anybody else available, like Abbrederis or Montgomery. The fact Janis couldn't play his way on the field more during that time was telling too, and now abbrederis is taking offensive snaps from him despite being out more often than he's in.

I don't think it's effort keeping Janis out of the offense either.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He excels at ST because he has one job, one focus, and can use his ability. I'd also point out that as a WR he couldn't get pushed out of bounds and beat someone with his speed because he'd immediately be ineligible to catch a pass from the QB in the course of a normal play from scrimmage.
Of course I agree about the subtleties of route running – I’ve been posting that regarding Janis as much as anyone. And I agree Janis has a single focus as a gunner on the punt team. But I disagree with your point about him being pushed out of bounds. That happened when he was double-teamed at the LOS, that of course isn’t going to happen to him at WR. I saw the McCarthy show last night and – no surprise – Janis was the team’s STs player of the game. After praising the job he did McCarthy said something like, 'he showed confidence, let's see if that confidence translates to WR'. Maybe the coaching staff sees more than just route running as Janis' problem?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
False. Randy Moss will go down as the best deep threat wr of all time and is a sure 1st ballot hall of famer and his route running left a lot to be desired. almost all his touchdowns came off the go route and deep post...even when the other team new what was coming he still for open. If Janis runs a great go route and post what else do you need from the guy. You have Cobb working underneath and the tightend but their jobs are aloe easier because guess what? There's no safety there!!
oh my, do I even respond to this?? Other than a stopwatch time, those receivers look nothing a like out on the field, from how they create separation, to how they jump for a pass, or the body control, or fluidity of movement and attacking balls in the air. outside of times on paper, nothing resembles each other.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts