2023 Game 9 - Pittsburgh Pre Game Thread

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't like this match up at all. Pittsburgh's defense is far more physical than our offense. The defenses and special teams may score more points than the offenses. I don't think the Packers coaching staff is adept enough to win this game.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st to 14 wins.

I firmly believe that the Packers will beat one of the next 4 opponents, just the nature of the NFL and I think it's Pittsburgh this week. Not basing that on any logic or rational or recent data. Just pure gut and the oddities of the NFL week to week.

Plus it makes good drama. Gives false hope to some because the Packers will move to 4-5 and will simultaneously upset people that want the Packers to tank and desire to have the entire management staff fired.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like this match up at all. Pittsburgh's defense is far more physical than our offense. The defenses and special teams may score more points than the offenses. I don't think the Packers coaching staff is adept enough to win this game.
If you go to nlf.com and look at team stats the Steelers are worse than we are both offensively and defensively. I gotta say that surprised me some.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very accurate. When MLF was up against defenses that were strong at one or two positions he would devise a way to find a crack. Whether it was using a TE to provide extra protection or 2 to block on the edge or go with quick release passes to avoid 3rd and long. And sometimes it resulted in a big play. But he had the talent then to do it. Now he does not. At any rate we have to try and run the football and hope OUR defense can be disruptive as well.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These guys agree with that:
https://www.packers.com/video/packers-unscripted-poised-for-pittsburgh

Steelers have trailed going into the 4th qtr in 4 of their 5 wins. All 5 of their wins are 7 pts or less. You could swap the records of both teams the way they have played.
What this tells me is that they have not got as much talent across the board as the record may indicate. What it does tell me is that they have found ways to win. And the obvious is that the credit goes to their coaching staff. Maybe if we had that coaching we would be 5-3 instead of 3-5.

Reaction score
I’m going to disagree on that. While The Steelers have home advantage, the Packers are coming off a confidence Win. LA@GB should’ve been 27-6 or 30-6 something like that. I have the Steelers a 1 point favorite + 1 point for playing at home. That’s not much it’s whoever shows up.

Pittsburgh won several close games against good teams by getting in favor with a +2 Turnover differential. Their opponents actually won the stat lines but handed the ball over like GB did for LA and beat themselves.
GB can win this game if we stop playing more slop fest and beating ourselves. I give Pitt as .500 strength team (pedestrian on O+D) and our youth should start clicking more as the weeks pass.

Packers 22 Steelers 20

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you go to nlf.com and look at team stats the Steelers are worse than we are both offensively and defensively. I gotta say that surprised me some.
That’s is true. Although the Steelers SOS is better than ours. Obviously that increase in competition levels the playing field pretty quickly. I think they are slightly better than us but mainly due to our self inflicted wounds. If we slow the self destruction some we can be competitive.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
After watching the Packers through 8 games this year, I do not expect to win any games. I can only hope.
In view of your choice of on-screen "handles", I assume you're an old guy like me who has a rep for grumbling and gurgling. Well, I'm right there with you. (By the way, Kramer is my hero. Wore #64 through grade-school, high school and one year of getting my a** kicked at the D-3 level) Well, I'm right with you - I don't want to make predictions and will watch until I can't anymore - abandoning a BIG TV for a radio broadcast in my garage (So much to do, so little daylight). ;)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like the match up, but if the defense can hold up and make some plays and we don't turn the ball over - or too many stupid penalties - the boys can pull this off. I'm going to go Packers, 20-17.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m going to disagree on that. While The Steelers have home advantage, the Packers are coming off a confidence Win. LA@GB should’ve been 27-6 or 30-6 something like that. I have the Steelers a 1 point favorite + 1 point for playing at home. That’s not much it’s whoever shows up.

Pittsburgh won several close games against good teams by getting in favor with a +2 Turnover differential. Their opponents actually won the stat lines but handed the ball over like GB did for LA and beat themselves.
GB can win this game if we stop playing more slop fest and beating ourselves. I give Pitt as .500 strength team (pedestrian on O+D) and our youth should start clicking more as the weeks pass.

Packers 22 Steelers 20
I too expect a close game unless our offense gets totally obliterated. I don't have much confidence in LaFleur and the penalty riddled offense to keep Love in reasonable down and distance situations.

I've watched almost all the Steelers games and since week 3, all of their opponents are running most all of their plays to the left to stay away from Watt. And yet...... Watt is still finding a way to disrupt games in the 4th quarter. Everyone seems to be afraid of him.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
abandoning a BIG TV for a radio broadcast in my garage (So much to do, so little daylight). ;)
No shame in listening to Wayne on the radio! Last weekend I listened to football all Saturday and Sunday, getting the boat ready for winter. This Sunday I'm going to working on snowmobiles early Sunday with a heater so that I can take a noon break for the game. That goodness that parts arrived in the mail yesterday...

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good luck to the Pack and here is wishing for an injury free game.

Shout out to Packernation2023, who visited our forum (Planet Steelers) and was true class.

Steelers 27

Pack 21
I'm all for an injury free game. We've had our share of season ending injuries for sure. I think the game will be closer than this but I have no clue who will win. Both teams have major shortcomings so it may come down to who turns it over the least and has fewer penalties.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
The last time the Packers won in Pittsburgh was 1970. They are 7-8 all time on the road against the Steelers. This includes five straight with the last trip being in 2017. Obviously, these are different teams and different times.
They are not great statistically. However, I was listening to the local radio station and they were interviewing the local beat writer from Pittsburgh. He was discussing the fact that the Steelers had a lot of injuries previous to this game. Their defense is a lot healthier. They have especially gotten healthier along the defensive line and have been more stout against the run than the beginning of the season. The big injury to keep an eye on for them is Minkah Fitzpatrick. Beyond him, only Montravius Adams (name rings a bell) is out. Keeanu Benton, Nick Herbig, and Joey Porter Jr. have settled in and are playing a lot better. Alex Highsmith is playing like a beast and of course there is TJ Watt. I expect a lot of offensive struggles for the Packers in this one.

Speaking of offense, the Steelers struggle as well. Pickett has not played well this season. It seems he only steps up in the 4th quarter. Pickens has struggled and they have not been able to really get Harris going consistently.

I expect this to be a low scoring game where the Packers offense continues to struggle. I'm saying, Packers 13 Steelers 17.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packers 22 Steelers 20
I was still surprised at the Ram outcome. The absence of Stafford and the poor play of the Rams line did indeed help. But this week we face a much better defense. It is scary. I do not know if Walker or Yosh is better at LT. Neither could handle Watt if he comes around that side. And although we are not facing a high powered offense because of the absence of our top players Tomlin will devise a simple vanilla game plan to move the chains. Then when we get settled in he will try a gadget play or take one shot. If the Steelers can continue to force turnovers they know they can put up points so that their offense does not have to open up.

Reaction score
But this week we face a much better defense. It is scary.
It’s interesting but the Steelers are a bend not break Defense. They are ranked between #25 #29 #31 in
1. Rushing yards per game
2. Passing yards per game
3. Total yards per game

Pittsburgh is a respectable #13 in points allowed though.
Packers D are #10 in pts allowed.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s interesting but the Steelers are a bend not break Defense. They are ranked between #25 #29 #31 in
1. Rushing yards per game
2. Passing yards per game
3. Total yards per game

Pittsburgh is a respectable #13 in points allowed though.
Packers D are #10 in pts allowed.
That is good to hear. Sacks and turnovers tell another story.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Good luck to the Pack and here is wishing for an injury free game.

Shout out to Packernation2023, who visited our forum (Planet Steelers) and was true class.

Steelers 27

Pack 21
Welcome back Chucktown. Looks like you joined up right before Super Bowl 45. Almost a lifetime ago it seems.

I'm thinking a little lower score than your prediction. I'd guess that Tomlin's offense is further along than the Pack's. So, first team to 17 wins. :roflmao:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was still surprised at the Ram outcome. The absence of Stafford and the poor play of the Rams line did indeed help. But this week we face a much better defense. It is scary. I do not know if Walker or Yosh is better at LT. Neither could handle Watt if he comes around that side. And although we are not facing a high powered offense because of the absence of our top players Tomlin will devise a simple vanilla game plan to move the chains. Then when we get settled in he will try a gadget play or take one shot. If the Steelers can continue to force turnovers they know they can put up points so that their offense does not have to open up.
The Rams were so weary of Rypien they cut him and signed Carson Wentz.

Members online

Latest posts