Official raider game

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Seriously, Moss VS. Janis?

Everything you said Rodell makes sense, but within your explanation provides you with an answer IMO. The Packers have pretty much tried everyone at WR this year with limited success. It isn't like Janis has been stuck on the bench due to the stellar play of the 5 ahead of him. He has gotten some reps and you have to assume that in the coaches eyes, he hasn't outplayed any of those 5 (4 with Montgomery out). Now it was probably just a personnel package, but not having your tallest and fastest WR on the field during the Hail Rodgers against Detroit, doesn't that tell you something? Yes, Adams hasn't lived up to the hype, but he also has played hurt. I think we all agree that Janis on paper could be a good WR, he just needs to prove that to the coaches on the field.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course I agree about the subtleties of route running – I’ve been posting that regarding Janis as much as anyone. And I agree Janis has a single focus as a gunner on the punt team. But I disagree with your point about him being pushed out of bounds. That happened when he was double-teamed at the LOS, that of course isn’t going to happen to him at WR. I saw the McCarthy show last night and – no surprise – Janis was the team’s STs player of the game. After praising the job he did McCarthy said something like, 'he showed confidence, let's see if that confidence translates to WR'. Maybe the coaching staff sees more than just route running as Janis' problem?
I hope he can contribute, I'd love to see him get 2 catches for 80 yards every game. I think it would help if he could. I'm not sure why he's not seeing the field, confidence, routes, knowing the playbook, I don't know, i do know that some guys that are very good at putting together a passing attack have not seen it appropriate to put him on the field more even though we've been struggling and there have been a lot of opportunities for a receiver to jump out and grab the position and run with it all year. I'm just guessing as to why

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess it sounded like a comparison between Moss and Janis when it wasn't meant to be one. All I was saying was that if Janis can excel in deep ball routes then give him more chances. The worst thing that could happen is it's incomplete.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh my, do I even respond to this?? Other than a stopwatch time, those receivers look nothing a like out on the field, from how they create separation, to how they jump for a pass, or the body control, or fluidity of movement and attacking balls in the air. outside of times on paper, nothing resembles each other.

Even looking at paper they aren't really close... 4.25 compared to 4.42 aren't even in the same ballpark. Just for perspective that is the same as 4.42 to almost 4.6 which is SLOW. Not to mention Moss was taller, jumped higher 51" to 37"... Once again not in the same category.

False. Randy Moss will go down as the best deep threat wr of all time and is a sure 1st ballot hall of famer and his route running left a lot to be desired. almost all his touchdowns came off the go route and deep post...even when the other team new what was coming he still got open. If Janis runs a great go route and deep post what else do you need from the guy. You have Cobb working underneath and the tightend but their jobs are also easier because guess what? There's no safety there!!

Randy moss could go deep because he was better in almost every possible way... Height, speed, jumping ability. I understand your point that someone can be good at one thing. But Janis doesn't posses the traits even remotely possible for that.

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess it sounded like a comparison between Moss and Janis when it wasn't meant to be one. All I was saying was that if Janis can excel in deep ball routes then give him more chances. The worst thing that could happen is it's incomplete.
Yes Janis should get a chance to prove what he can do at WR !

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very excited for the game. The passing game needs to breakout somewhat. We're running out of time.

Aaron needs to start a hot streak.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is hands down a game the Packers should win and an opponent they should beat handily.
I won't so much consider the level of competition as how well the team plays and how much, if any , progress they make in fixing the issues they've had this season.

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very excited for the game. The passing game needs to breakout somewhat. We're running out of time.

Aaron needs to start a hot streak.
We need a win and your right AARON needs to play better but if we have to run the ball to win so be it !

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is hands down a game the Packers should win and an opponent they should beat handily.
I won't so much consider the level of competition as how well the team plays and how much, if any , progress they make in fixing the issues they've had this season.

I think it will be a decent test for a couple of reasons.

The Raiders are better at stopping the run than the pass.
They have a great pass rusher in Mack (5 sacks last week... BEAST) 14 on the year.
And savy veteran in Woodson in the back, he may not have the speed anymore but sure knows how to create turnovers.

So the Raiders are likely going to force us to pass to win... If so. I'm excited I think this could be a coming out party for the offense. Perfect time to get it going 3 weeks before the end of the season.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like ive said before a thousand times....a dominant TE or a wr who can take over a game would make all the difference to the offense and the wr core. Even with a suspect O line.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Any given Sunday buddy... Any given Sunday.

Rick 12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a tough game to call, mainly because we still can't be sure which Packers team will show up.
Regardless, I'm picking the Pack!
Agree because Oakland has been playing good football and they don't back down from anyone they will give our Packers a fight the Packers better be ready to play!

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no Montgomery again this Sunday.

Just put the dude on IR and stop getting my hopes up already.

2+ months for an ankle sprain, I broke my ankle twice and recovered in 2 months.

Either the training staff is not doing there job of making him sit when he needs too... Ty isn't doing a good job of pushing his recovery and not getting back to fast. Or he is the worst healer of all time and should be a little concerning.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just put the dude on IR and stop getting my hopes up already.

2+ months for an ankle sprain, I broke my ankle twice and recovered in 2 months.

Either the training staff is not doing there job of making him sit when he needs too... Ty isn't doing a good job of pushing his recovery and not getting back to fast. Or he is the worst healer of all time and should be a little concerning.
I'm thinking it's more than an ankle sprain. That hit was pretty brutal....

Ankle injuries are always tricky, though. It's a bummer he's missed so much time, he was looking good.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Real sprains are worse than breaks in the long run

Not sure what constitutes a "real" sprain... But that is only a partially true statement that was made popular. High grade sprains can actually cause instability in a joint, though bad breaks can require screws and bone grafts to fix.

But MM repeatedly stated this is a "normal" sprain meaning grade 1 or 2 at the most. Typically like 4 weeks to return. The problem I see with it is the constant "setbacks". I have to believe someone is doing something incorrectly for NFL receiver to re-sprain his ankle twice after the initial one. Isn't there someone in charge of that?

Either way, its almost time to IR him.. By the time he comes back he will have missed nearly 3/4 of the season. Will be rusty and need to get into the swing again. Think you are better off at some point getting another fresh body on the roster than just sitting and hoping.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Even looking at paper they aren't really close... 4.25 compared to 4.42 aren't even in the same ballpark. Just for perspective that is the same as 4.42 to almost 4.6 which is SLOW. Not to mention Moss was taller, jumped higher 51" to 37"... Once again not in the same category.

Randy moss could go deep because he was better in almost every possible way... Height, speed, jumping ability. I understand your point that someone can be good at one thing. But Janis doesn't posses the traits even remotely possible for that.

You know what's really sad? Moss is still better than half the WR's playing football today. Only his crappy attitude took him out of the game.

Did you know that Tom Brady never threw for more than 28 TD's a year until Moss showed up in New England.

And to keep with the title of the thread, I think this will be closer game than many people think.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One would figure you guys would be use to guys spraining an ankle or knee and be on the shelf for 7 weeks in Green Bay. It's nothing new.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wonder if either Jamel Johnson or Ed Williams, two PS WR's, are worthy of bringing up? Johnson hasn't been with the team very long, so I doubt him. With Janis seeing limited snaps, we are playing 4 WR's until/if we get Montgomery back.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what constitutes a "real" sprain... But that is only a partially true statement that was made popular. High grade sprains can actually cause instability in a joint, though bad breaks can require screws and bone grafts to fix.
I think that most of the time that someone hurts an ankle, it's labeled a sprain. It's more of a strain. As you said, sprains usually stretch tendons and joints causing longer recoveries and long-term problems, such as ankles more likely to roll.

Breaks usually don't require screws and grafts, but heal back as strong as they were prior to the break.