Official Packers vs Saints thread 2014

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not only who you play but when and where that can matter as well. The Packers simply drew the wrong cards on location and timing Sunday night. But they are just about exactly where most expected them to be, record-wise, at the halfway point of the season. Most expected them to lose at Seattle and New Orleans, two of the toughest venues in the league in which to be the visiting team, and Detroit was also considered a possibility.

If the Lions weren't playing a highly favorable schedule and getting mediocre teams to hand them some wins the Packers would still be a first place team in their division. And that's where I still believe they will be by the end of the season.

There are no more games in domes for the Pack this season. They'll be playing in their element the rest of the way. The only game on the remaining schedule in which they may be an underdog is New England; but they do get the Pats at Lambeau. Philly will be a tough one but with Aaron Rodgers in the game this season the result should be different from last year.

The Saints may have had their moment this week. There's enough on their remaining schedule to add at least 3-4 more losses and their only hope for the playoffs will be a weak division. If the Packers win theirs any meeting with this club in the playoffs will be at Lambeau in January.

The Packers' 3 losses so far have certainly exposed issues that need fixing, if this team is to have a shot at the Super Bowl this year. The run defense, o-line and running game consistency top the list. The tight ends have to start stepping up more, receiving and blocking. But, at least on the offensive side, the Packers do have the players to make those improvements. The front and center of the defense I'm not so sure about.

The Packers beat the teams on the rest of their schedule that they should: Bears, Vikings, Falcons, Bills, Buccaneers and continue their home mastery of the Lions and we're looking at a "worst case" scnenario of 11-5. Get an inspired performance against the Eagles or Patriots and it's 12-4.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defensive woes are NOT all on Capers, but he does have some work to do. Chris Collinsworth pointed out during the game that the Saints had a simple offensive plan against the Packer's D: Packers in dime they'd run the ball, Packers in base D the Saints would pass ~ Nickel could go either way (and usually successful).

That says (to me) that the front 7 (or 6) are getting beaten regularly AND that the offensive coaches have confidence in the RB winning some battles against the D's safeties & corners. It also says (to me) that the personnel packages (D-line especially) make it easy for the QB to know what's coming and can audible into a better play fairly easily.

A lot of the packages are dictated by the players' skills, which means that there aren't many 3 down defensive linemen on this roster. THAT needs to be addressed by TT in the offseason/draft, but unfortunately doesn't help in '14.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't seen mention of not having Shields and Burnett Sunday. Losing two of their top secondary players was big, especially since Hyde was the guy replacing Burnett and he got beat deep twice.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't seen mention of not having Shields and Burnett Sunday. Losing two of their top secondary players was big, especially since Hyde was the guy replacing Burnett and he got beat deep twice.

Very frustrating for Hyde I'm sure. Those balls were perfect from Brees. It was like he was dropping them from the sky! Hyde actually did a great job of sticking with the guy and getting his head around and finding the ball... but a person has to just tip his hat to Brees on that day.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Look. Everyone knows we lack what we need at ILB so our defense is dependent on us getting a lead and rushing the passer playing into our good secondary. I believe this is why MM went for the onside kick to get a bigger lead and try to get Saints on there heels. Shields and Burnett also being out didn't help our cause as Shields would of most likely been on Cooks and matched speed for speed. Burnett is a more sure tackler then Dix at this point as I love how Dix flies up but he needs to learn some control which I believe will come with time.

Overall I don't think were going to win a lot big games if we have to come from behind.

I am also tired of hearing people saying Hawk makes a lot of tackles. I don't care as look where he is making those tackles on the field in comparison to markers. Hawk is too slow period. Barrington is more of Hybrid type guy that gets pushed around against power run. Lattimore is better then Jones which isn't saying much but IMO a good depth guy.

This team is lacking an enforcer in the middle and has for some time. I would be okay with TT using both first and second round picks to address this. I believe the guy below is the perfect prescription. We missed out on Mosley last year and I really hope we don't miss out again this year. I've watched Perryman play every game this year as I find him to be a very intriguing prospect. I really don't see any flaw in his game and he flat out hits the snot out of people and flies around "sideline to sideline".

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Until we get some speed and toughness in the middle the best were gonna get from our defense is what we have gotten which is inconsistency. I still think we can make a run this year but IMO we need home field and some other things to go our way.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very frustrating for Hyde I'm sure. Those balls were perfect from Brees. It was like he was dropping them from the sky! Hyde actually did a great job of sticking with the guy and getting his head around and finding the ball... but a person has to just tip his hat to Brees on that day.

After watching replays again, you're right on the TD throw, but I have to disagree with the deep ball on the Saints first drive.

To me, it Looked liked House was expected deep safety help and Hyde arrived too late.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually Hyde only got beat deep once, House was in coverage on both of Brees´ long completions.

Staff online

Latest posts