Official Packers sign Jonathan Owens

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

PFF had Owens ranked 96th out of the 100 safeties with the most snaps last season. One spot ahead of Savage.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, you're saying we got an upgrade! Boom!

I'm sure he was trying hard. Trying hard to keep his starting spot and prove himself.
I'm wondering if both Savage & Amos' decline at the same time is more related to Barry & his system rather than their skills? We probably won't find out soon, since Barry is still in charge. :(

Reaction score
I'm wondering if both Savage & Amos' decline at the same time is more related to Barry & his system rather than their skills? We probably won't find out soon, since Barry is still in charge. :(
Actually he referenced that in an interview a couple days ago. He said they need to put him in position to succeed and thought maybe closer to LOS or in that robber role. I’ve been harping in that for years he does play better when he’s actively playing more press

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually he referenced that in an interview a couple days ago. He said they need to put him in position to succeed and thought maybe closer to LOS or in that robber role. I’ve been harping in that for years he does play better when he’s actively playing more press
I may be confused but isn't that the role pencilled-in for Tariq Carpenter? I thought he's a S/LB hybrid that was to play in the box?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Wouldn't that require him to make more "I told you not to come in my area mudda fuqqa" style tackles than "would you sit down so I can tap you?" type? Savage's tackling doesn't consistently live up to his name.

Reaction score
I may be confused but isn't that the role pencilled-in for Tariq Carpenter? I thought he's a S/LB hybrid that was to play in the box?
Idk. Although I’ve wondered about him he’s been kinda quietly in the backdrop.

We are financially stuck with Savage. I suppose they are considering if Savage is put in positions to succeed we can get the most out of that. I’m not a huge Savage fan, but I do remember his film from college when drafted and his profile. He was disruptive using his speed to play downhill more in College. He would even miss some tackles, but he’d disrupt enough to get his teammates to arrive and help. When Darnell is left to complacency, complacency leaves him hanging. Just something I’ve noticed.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tariq is being moved to ILB, he stated as much in an interview this off season a few weeks back. I kinda look forward to him in that role....I feel he could be better suited in such a role...limited passing down reps I think he can excel there.

D

Deleted member 6794

We are financially stuck with Savage.

That's true, in my opinion the Packers made another mistake by restructuring Savage's contract this offseason which will result in dead money of close to $5.5 million counting against their cap next season if they don't agree on an extension with him after this year. Especially as it seems the team didn't need the cap space created by the move this year.

Reaction score
That's true, in my opinion the Packers made another mistake by restructuring Savage's contract this offseason which will result in dead money of close to $5.5 million counting against their cap next season if they don't agree on an extension with him after this year. Especially as it seems the team didn't need the cap space created by the move this year.
Yeah its perform or pack your bags for Savage. The honeymoon is over

Unless someone rises from the group of relative Safety nobodies, Something tells me GB will be going after a Safety in Day 1-2 next draft (or signing a significant FA beforehand)

Members online

Latest posts