OFFICIAL Packers VS Lions - The Matt Flynn Game

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Kudos to Barrysghostfor returning, and for admitting the refs screwed up calls on both teams. For example, I thought So’oto’s fumble recovery early was just that, particularly with (what I consider the BS) rule regarding “completing the catch”. How would the game have been different if that call had gone the other way? I don’t think the one bad call cost the Lions the game – see what lontimefan posted above. BTW earlier in this thread I did not criticize you because you are a Lions fan, I criticized your lack of respect for this forum and the Packers fans who inhabit it. As a fan who was as fanatical a Packers fan after Lombardi’s departure up to Wolf’s arrival as I am today, I appreciate fans who stick with their teams through bad times.

Thank you Lionsfan54 for not disappointing. Just to review, here were the Packers’ inactives for today: Aaron Rodgers, pro bowler and IMO the best QB in the league this season; Greg Jennings, a pro bowler and our best WR; Clay Matthews, pro bowler and best pass rusher; Charles Woodson, pro bowler and play-maker; Bryan Bulaga, starting RT; Randall Cobb, starting returner; and James Starks, the Packers best RB. How many pro bowlers – or players playing at that level did your team play without today? Not only that, but your team was up 9-0 with the ball early, playing all-out against a team resting its best players and your team ends up losing a shootout. The Packers also beat your team at their place. But by all means blame it all on the refs. Too bad the entire Lions’ organization isn’t so foolish.

And how mean of longtimefan to point out you were wrong about Fairley, huh? Don’t you hate it when you make fun of another (“if you saw his jersey … your high”) for something you turn out to be wrong about? Facts are difficult things sometimes, aren’t they? And then you talk smack about the Packers backup QB not being on the team next year? Yes, no kidding but you do realize Aaron Rodgers will be back, right? He’s either the best or (at least) the second best QB in the entire league this year and better than the guy you have returning. His fantastic play this season is a big reason he wasn’t needed today.

Having said all that, I wish the Lions the very best in their game at New Orleans. I know some say it’s difficult to beat the same team three times in a season but I’d love nothing better than a return trip by the Lions to Lambeau. Just imagine what would have happened today if all the Packers inactives were active for the game.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there is one thing I would hope for but it is an extreme long shot is that somehow GB could Get Value for Matt Flynn. I am so tired of how devalued GB's players have been around the NFL for years.

(Mark Brunell for a 3rd and 4th, Aaron Brooks for a 4th, Matt Hasselbeck for a 2nd, James Lofton for a 3rd, etc etc)

Now if Flynn leaves during Free Agency then the most GB could expect to get is a 3rd Rd compensatory pick at the end of the Rd which sucks. When I see the Eagles trade Kolb for 1st Rd or Dallas when they traded Steve Walsh for 2 - 1st Rd's, or even Cincinnati trading Carson Palmer for 2 - 1st Rd's at the end of his career which was a joke.

Any NFL Team needing a QB other then being able to get Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III in next year's draft would love to get an NFL ready QB like Flynn. The free agency system is definitely flawed when it comes to compensating teams for the value of the player lost. It is something that needs to be corrected. We did get Charles Woodson that way and look how that turned out where Oakland received a 3rd Rd compensatory pick.

If I had my wish then GB would get a contract worked out for Finley and Franchise Flynn and trade him to a team that is willing to give a 1st Rd Pick and sign him to a long term deal. I'm sure that they would get many bites now after his first two starts of his career.

Barrysghost

Un-catchable
Reaction score
I have to disagree a bit, I think that the Suh penalty, that last interception, and the Lions sloppy D didn't help, but all that could remain and we win with that bogus TD call reversed, 48-45. It doesn't really matter though, whats done is done, and we're gonna go play the Saints now. It's like MMA, you can't leave it in the judges hands, and in the NFL you can't have bad play that makes a game close enough for one bad call to decide. Looking at it in that light, the loss was on us. We could have played better D and had less penalties and won the game too, its true. We just have to pull it together if we want to be a champion team.

I want to point something out to you Packer fans, and it would be cool if you would seriously ponder it for a moment. This is a very young Detroit team, playing with a few rookie starters (or second-year starters) and with a QB who has finally played a whole season. We have visibly grown since last season, and obviously will grow better yet in the future. We were 0-16 three years ago. Games against us will only get tougher over the next few seasons.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last I checked, weather predictions for Sunday were for temps in the low 30s with snow flurries. Should be a fun game to play, and I predict that (for a change) it will be a low scoring game. With colder conditions, QB's usually have a harder time throwing the ball. Both teams will probably rely more on the run game, and with Detroit having the better defense, I predict Lions win 17-7 (or 17-10).

nailed it.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To all and to Lions fans: what a game! Yeah it should have been ruled a touchdown no doubt about but hey, it was a bad call and **** happens.

Go down and beat the Saints will ya?

Unomee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WOW ...

Are you really going to sit on here and claim the Packers won this game without ANY help ??
You really need a reality check,
The Packers didn't play with any less players then we did, you sat Rogers, Jennings, (hurt, by the way)
Mathews, and Woodson, that's all..
WE (Lions) sat out

Delmas
Fairley, NO HE DIDN'T PLAY, he was on the sideline in street clothes, if you saw his jersey on the field your high
Best, your gonna put Jennings in there I'm going to call out one of our injuries
Berry

That is not "WE BEAT THE LIONS WITH OUR SECOND STRING"
Cause you all sound ridicules when you say that ,
Driver, Jones, etc are not your second string

So stop patting your selves on the back, you have a great back up QB, he won't be there next year, there is no way he's going to live in the shadow of Rogers,

Your defense gave up 500 yards to a QB, with 5 TD, Oh excuse me, closer to 600 yards with 6 TD , but YOUR officials made sure that didn't happen....

You can sit on here and all beat on your make believe chest that your the Kings of the Football world, but it really seems to me I would be concerned when the Packers aren't being aided by the NFL's officials,

Oh and one more things, your school yard antics didn't get the Lions to react like you did on T-day, today the Packers showed they were the Class Less Thugs, we weren't the ones taking late cheap shots on players after whistles, but once again YOUR officials saw to that they weren't called.....

Whine all you want; you know and we know your team had a chance to win this game on their final drive, but blew it on an INT. Was there help from the officials on that play? Was there cheating on that play? Had the Lions scored and won this game you and all of your other fellow Lions fans would not be making much issue over being cheated.

That being said Lions fans should be very happy they are going to the playoffs for the first time in years. They had a great year and deserve to be there and I too believe they will give the Saints a fight.

metallicblaze

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only watched the highlights, but that missed Lions TD was bad. The Defense was hideous yet again, I'm worried come the playoffs. Also, what was up with Bush getting in that Lions face when they scored a touch down, among many?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Only watched the highlights, but that missed Lions TD was bad. The Defense was hideous yet again, I'm worried come the playoffs. Also, what was up with Bush getting in that Lions face when they scored a touch down, among many?

Stupidity?

Unomee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to disagree a bit, I think that the Suh penalty, that last interception, and the Lions sloppy D didn't help, but all that could remain and we win with that bogus TD call reversed, 48-45. It doesn't really matter though, whats done is done, and we're gonna go play the Saints now. It's like MMA, you can't leave it in the judges hands, and in the NFL you can't have bad play that makes a game close enough for one bad call to decide. Looking at it in that light, the loss was on us. We could have played better D and had less penalties and won the game too, its true. We just have to pull it together if we want to be a champion team.

I want to point something out to you Packer fans, and it would be cool if you would seriously ponder it for a moment. This is a very young Detroit team, playing with a few rookie starters (or second-year starters) and with a QB who has finally played a whole season. We have visibly grown since last season, and obviously will grow better yet in the future. We were 0-16 three years ago. Games against us will only get tougher over the next few seasons.

Most sensible comment I've seen from a Lions fan, and to the point the others just fail or will not acknowledge to see.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

You just made my point a little stronger...We were missing 2 pro bowl players on our D...And our D looked just as sloppy as yours..

If Woodson and Clay play, I have a Packers win by at least 10

I have mentioned that Det is good and I dont want to face them anymore

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Good, I'm tired of the NFC North not getting respected as being a tough division and all the praise going to our AFC counterparts. The Packers are a young team also and constantly getting refreshed by the draft and the occasional FA. Add a healthy Cutler throughout the entire season and suddenly we've got us some serious competition.

Having said that, you boys enjoy number 2, you earned it, but we don't plan on giving up the crown anytime soon. :)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The free agency system is definitely flawed when it comes to compensating teams for the value of the player lost. It is something that needs to be corrected.
As a Packers fan I understand the sentiment, but I disagree with it. I think the current system strikes a good balance between teams and players. Teams can bargain with players with contracts about to expire – or even with players with two or more years left on their contracts. And players are free to negotiate with their current teams and agree to a “home-team discount” or a block buster deal or something in between. Or, they are free to gamble on themselves (and that they won’t get injured) and wait for unrestricted free-agency. Even then, teams have an “ace in the hole”; the franchise tag. For the average pay of the top 5 players at whatever position the player plays, the team can keep that player. The team gets to keep the player and the player gets a guaranteed multi-million dollar paycheck for one season.

And teams are free to trade players under contract. Thompson had the option to trade Flynn anytime before the trading deadline. He opted to keep the valuable insurance Flynn provided rather than trading him away for a second rounder, or higher if he could get it. Yesterday's game makes that decision look better in my eyes: Flynn turned out to be cheap insurance and the Packers would not have been subjected to the fate of the Colts if their franchise QB were injured for a number of games.

Should compensation picks be awarded before the end of the third round? I don’t think so because the draft is designed to achieve as much of a competitive balance as possible. If teams at the top like the Packers are awarded with earlier picks – particularly for losing backups – it would tend to contradict the stated purpose of the draft. And keep in mind the reason there isn't perfect competitive balance in the league: Some organizations are much better run than others. For example, a comp pick at the end of the third round in Ted Thompson's hands is more valuable than a second rounder in Jerry Angelo's. That should provide some comfort to Packers fans as they contemplate losing Flynn.

Of course I wish the Packers could get more for Flynn. In fact I wish they could keep him and he could simultaneously be satisfied as a backup. But those two things don’t go together: One of the main reasons Flynn is so good is he wants to start. Finally, look at this from Flynn’s point of view. He signed a seventh round deal with the Packers and has worked his *** off beating out a second rounder for the backup QB job. He is about to fulfill his end of a four year contract and now he deserves a chance to pick his destination and make as much as a team is willing to pay him.

The NFL is a multi-billion dollar business. IMO the benefits of that business should be shared by the players and teams alike. IMO the current free agency system leans a little in favor of the teams, but since players are well compensated in any event, not by that much. But IMO changing the free agency system to further benefit the teams would be wrong. Even if it means the Packers getting a comp pick at the end of round 3 for Matt Flynn.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Win or lose in the playoffs, I know you guys will appreciate making it for the first time in over a decade.
Regardless of how I feel of the Lions, I have nothing against their fans who have sat through all the pain and sorrow for over time.

AND, they aren't the Bears!!! Good luck to the Lions in New Orleans.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree the Lions have improved leaps and bounds, and will no doubt continue to improve, but they will have to if they expect to make it to the SB.....to do so will mean they'll have to able beat teams like GB and N.O....and it's obvious they aren't there yet.

As far as the score being 48-45 if the refs had called the pass to the endzone by the Lions a TD...since that play took place in the 2nd qtr, that would've change the rest of the game. I would say the score would have been something more like 52-48 GB...let's face it, Detriot wasn't gonna slow down Flynn....

Barrysghost

Un-catchable
Reaction score
I agree the Lions have improved leaps and bounds, and will no doubt continue to improve, but they will have to if they expect to make it to the SB.....to do so will mean they'll have to able beat teams like GB and N.O....and it's obvious they aren't there yet.

As far as the score being 48-45 if the refs had called the pass to the endzone by the Lions a TD...since that play took place in the 2nd qtr, that would've change the rest of the game. I would say the score would have been something more like 52-48 GB...let's face it, Detriot wasn't gonna slow down Flynn....

My argument is based on the assumption that: The game would have played out the same, just instead of a 3-and-out on that drive, Lions get a TD. I don't see it affecting other plays whatsoever.
Your argument seems to be based on: You're a Green Bay fan, "Flynn's the man." come on dude.

BUT, like I stated earlier anyway, Detroit's defense put us in that position in the first place. If they could have stopped just ONE score, the blown call is irrelevent. Through our poor secondary, we put ourselves in the position to let a bad call decide the game, and that is squarely on us. All I can hope is that (assuming this game with NO will be another shootout) our guys show up to play so we can firmly get a victory without any calls being an issue. If we can do that, we can beat SF. How crazy would an NFC championship game between two NFCN teams be?

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
When Packers quarterback Matt Flynn threw for 480 yards and six touchdowns against the Lions on Sunday, he created tongue-in-cheek questions about whether Aaron Rodgers is a system quarterback — and very real questions about Flynn’s future. As explained in this week’s 10-pack, Flynn was the second quarterback taken by the Packers in the “make…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It makes no sense to me to pretend everything else in a game would have occurred exactly as it did if you pretend to go back and "alter" the outcome of one important play. IMO Lions fans need to face the fact that their team has absolutely no excuses in that game. The Lions had a reason to play that game to win and the Packers didn't. Early in that game, the Lions had a 9-0 lead with the ball in decent field position. The Packers were playing with "one hand behind their back" resting four of their best players, including their best player, and the Lions couldn't prevail going away against the Packers' second string QB. If you want to play the "what if" game, what if Matthews and Woodson had played and the former recorded a sack or two and the latter recorded an INT? What if Cobb played and didn't repeat the brain farts Lee did returning the ball? And regarding the officials, what if the fumble it looked like Vic So'oto recovered early in the second quarter wasn't reversed? Honestly, with the way they are requiring receivers to "complete" the catch, I thought the original call was correct.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
How crazy would an NFC championship game between two NFCN teams be?

It happened last year (Packers vs. Bears).

Also, note that it cannot occur this year. If Detroit beats N.O., they would face GB the following week, not in the champ game.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking something along those lines...but not quite. Flynn's performance might just skew the ******* sportswriters who vote MVP ... you know.... "Look at this...his backup plays a game like this...maybe it is the talent around him...blah blah blah..." I'll guarantee that one bonehead or another will write that crap....(aside from me that is)
I'm not going to let myself be brainwashed by the Aint's fans thinking that Brees should get MVP just because Flynn had a great game.
Thing is, it was against the Lions.
How would Flynn have done against the Saints or the Giants?
And Rodgers led the team to 14 wins with the best passer rating ever while bringing the Packers to more than one come from behind victory.
Aaron Rodgers was doing all the play calling the first half. He was coaching Flynn. That right there shows MVP stuff.
I doubt the MVP voters are going to look at it the way the Saints fans do.

Barrysghost

Un-catchable
Reaction score
It happened last year (Packers vs. Bears).

Also, note that it cannot occur this year. If Detroit beats N.O., they would face GB the following week, not in the champ game.

I'm pretty sure that the winner between the Saints / Lions plays SF. The Pack will get the winner of the Giants / Falcons.
BECAUSE it happened last year is why I think it would be crazy. It would put a stamp on the NFCN being the best division for sure.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I think if you guys win and the Giants win you will come to Lambeau to play the Pack because you will be the lower remaining seed.

Barrysghost

Un-catchable
Reaction score
well, I know that Detroit (and it's fans) are looking forward to a 3rd meeting. Doesn't matter how many teams we have to go through. The Saints are gonna be a problem though, so we're mostly focusing on that right now anyway. I don't want to spend a bunch of time speculating on something that may not happen.
Saturday (for Lions fans) is going to be awesome, even if we lose. Already things look great for next season, my perpetual 'Lions losing blues' have gone away.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the winner between the Saints / Lions plays SF. The Pack will get the winner of the Giants / Falcons.
BECAUSE it happened last year is why I think it would be crazy. It would put a stamp on the NFCN being the best division for sure.

I'm sick of hearing how the NFC East is the toughest division in the NFC.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Wasnt it always lowest seed goes to highest seed?

When did it change?

It didnt

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/136472833.html

NFC's No. 6 seed: the Detroit Lions (10-6).
After falling in a 45-41 shootout to the Packers, Detroit has the final NFC wildcard slot.
They will play the New Orleans Saints on the road on Jan. 7.
If they defeat New Orleans, they would come back to Lambeau FIeld for the divisional playoffs on Jan. 14 or 15.

So if Lions win we play them

if Saints win they go to Frisco

so Pack would get either Falcons, Detroit, or Giants

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts