Official Packers vs Eagles

eaglesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Eagles and Chiefs are the only teams having a better winning percentage on the road than at home since 2011.

So while it´s true teams have better records at home the Packers are the 2nd best home team in the league since the start of the 2011 season with a 23-4-1 record (21-1 with Rodgers starting and being able to finish the game).
Eagles fan here - i come in peace :)

What happened before 2013 is moot. Eagles have been much better at home under Chip Kelly both in win % and quality of win. Since midseason last year when this team seemed to turn it around they are 9-0 at home, 5-3 on the road.

Going into Green Bay on a short week will be very difficult. I am not expecting a win.

eaglesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers and Eagles are a statistical dead heat in almost every category. But there is one area where the Packers hold a big edge and it may decide the outcome of this game.

The Packers are third in the league in turnover differential at plus 10 while Philadelphia is tied for 24th with Chicago and St.Louis at minus 5.

The Eagles have turned the ball over 21 times this season - 12 ints., 9 fumbles- while the Packers defense has made 19- 14 ints., 5 fumbles.

The Packers are famous for protecting the ball. Only 4 ints. and 4 fumbles for a total of 8 turnovers. Philadelphia's defense hasn't come up with so many: 7 ints., 9 fumbles for 16 turnovers.

Dont forget special teams, Eagles are by far the best in the league, while the Packers are average.

Most of the Eagles give aways this year were the fault of Nick Foles. Most day (2013) and night (2014) QB I have ever seen. In two games Sanchez has 1 INT that was his fault (the other INT was a great throw which bounced off of a rookies hands). Now that caveat is that his two games have been against an average and a bad team, so this test will be much tougher.

eaglesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are Chip Kelly to Florida rumors starting up................One has to wonder if that creates some drama there for the Eagles.
There have been other Chip Kelly to <insert big college> rumours this year also...comes with the territory I guess. Chip has squashed them pretty quickly...he isnt going anywhere.

eaglesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All that said...Packers 24, Eagles 17. Hope I am wrong...if it were in Philly I would likely go the other way.

This may just be for HFA as I think these are the two best teams in the conference. Hopefully no injuries on either team.

eaglesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions - very good D. On paper a good O...but...they have been fortunate so far to have the record that they do. Like Arizona, I dont think they are as good as their record.

Found the article a little negative. Seems to penalize Sanchez for playing in a good system - i mean who cares if it is the system as long as the results are there. Also, Foles has been terrible this year. Just brutal....and we are 4 yards from being undefeated and have the best points differential in the conference - so it isnt exactly a tough act for Sanchez to follow. Throw in that the Jets were a defensive team with a very average NFL offensive scheme (if even average) - comparing the Jet version of Sanchez to the Chip Kelly version is apples to oranges.

I cant really argue with their quoted predictions - pretty close to what I am predicting, a one score game with the Packers pulling it out.

I was begging for Sanchez before the injury - more because of Foles play than anything. I think that in this system, Sanchez will have a QBR of 100+ this year (currently 97.5). The biggest thing that worries me is our running game. I am thinking (hoping) that McCoy has a breakout game.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
T
Lions - very good D. On paper a good O...but...they have been fortunate so far to have the record that they do. Like Arizona, I dont think they are as good as their record.

Found the article a little negative. Seems to penalize Sanchez for playing in a good system - i mean who cares if it is the system as long as the results are there. Also, Foles has been terrible this year. Just brutal....and we are 4 yards from being undefeated and have the best points differential in the conference - so it isnt exactly a tough act for Sanchez to follow. Throw in that the Jets were a defensive team with a very average NFL offensive scheme (if even average) - comparing the Jet version of Sanchez to the Chip Kelly version is apples to oranges.

I cant really argue with their quoted predictions - pretty close to what I am predicting, a one score game with the Packers pulling it out.

I was begging for Sanchez before the injury - more because of Foles play than anything. I think that in this system, Sanchez will have a QBR of 100+ this year (currently 97.5). The biggest thing that worries me is our running game. I am thinking (hoping) that McCoy has a breakout game.
The Eagles this year have become the Bears that Packer fans were used to. Defensive and ST TD's have become a way to turn games. GB ST needs to be prepared. Should be a good game.

Glad to hear from an astute Eagle fan!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a statement game for us. If we win and win big, we'll be right back into the "Elite team" discussion again. Eagles are a quality opponent. Very good team.

JnC4GB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both of these teams are going to put up points. Winner will be decided by two things: Special Teams play (advantage Eagles) and turnovers (advantage Packers).
Bottom line: buckle up. This one is going to be a burner.

Reaction score
If our D looks anything remotely like they did last week this could be a barrier win against a solid team. Even with Sanchez this team is formidable so it's a measuring stick. Keeping Clay in the middle primarily is smart for 2 reasons. First he's potentially in the play on either side of the field and secondly we have depth of talent at OLB so having a quick 255lb physical LB inside is smart.
On O, I'd be using TE or even 2 early to allow AR some space to get a Rythmn and Bostick has been looking good in situational plays so I hope they utilize him again. Using Lacy for a cocktail of run and short passes is ideal and Duane Harris is looking hungry.. Use him on 5-10 snaps 3rd n 4th qtr.
GB 31 Philly 21

Last edited:

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
It is also not just the offense that scores the points. But it is the defense that will win the game. Keeping both offenses off the field. Is going to be key!

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not sold on Sanchez having consistent success in the Eagles system. He's not accurate enough and prone to make way too many mistakes. I like Kelly's work in Philadelphia but I don't think he'll be able to make a top tier QB out of Sanchez.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If our D looks anything remotely like they did last week this could be a barrier win against a solid team. Even with Sanchez this team is formidable so it's a measuring stick. Keeping Clay in the middle primarily is smart for 2 reasons. First he's potentially in the play on either side of the field and secondly we have depth of talent at OLB so having a quick 255lb physical LB inside is smart.
On O, I'd be using TE or even 2 early to allow AR some space to get a Rythmn and Bostick has been looking good in situational plays so I hope they utilize him again. Using Lacy for a cocktail of run and short passes is ideal and Duane Harris is looking hungry.. Use him on 5-10 snaps 3rd n 4th qtr.
GB 31 Philly 21

Unfortunately Bostick is hurt again and will be out Sunday.

Scottwallace15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this game is probably one of our biggest, i mean its one thing stuffing our rivals in the NFC north but we have to show it against other divisional teams, and whooping a supposed 'giant' from the 'biggest conference' would be just that cherry on the top to show that we're back and hungry to bring lombardi home

Score predictions anyone?

mine personally would be

Packers -28
Eagles - 20

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has lost two home games in the last five years. I'll take him at home over any team Sanchez is on, with any head coach. Especially if these teams are as evenly matched as some of the "talking heads," think they are.

Packers 34
Eagles 27

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our o-line has trouble against solid pass rushers. The Eagles are exceptional in this regard. The "new" Sanchez appears to be better than the starter. Rogers is in for a tough day. So is our defense. With a win and a Detroit loss in Arizona, we are tied for the North lead. With an opposite scenario, we are in trouble for the playoffs.
Packers 30
Eagles 27

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our o-line has trouble against solid pass rushers. The Eagles are exceptional in this regard. The "new" Sanchez appears to be better than the starter. Rogers is in for a tough day. So is our defense. With a win and a Detroit loss in Arizona, we are tied for the North lead. With an opposite scenario, we are in trouble for the playoffs.
Packers 30
Eagles 27

Not quite tied. Detroit still holds the tiebreaker edge, so the Packers are effectively two down as of now.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not quite tied. Detroit still holds the tiebreaker edge, so the Packers are effectively two down as of now.
The fact that Detroit "holds the tiebreaker edge" right now means effectively nothing. The two teams play each other again in Green Bay week 17, which will decide things. If Green Bay wins that game, which will they be favored to do, and the two teams end up tied, Green Bay has the upper hand for the tiebreaker. It will most likely come down to common opponents, which Green Bay has the advantage over Detroit right now. (Detroit has lost to Carolina and Buffalo, and none of Green Bay's losses are teams the Lions play.)

D

Deleted member 6794

The fact that Detroit "holds the tiebreaker edge" right now means effectively nothing. The two teams play each other again in Green Bay week 17, which will decide things. If Green Bay wins that game, which will they be favored to do, and the two teams end up tied, Green Bay has the upper hand for the tiebreaker. It will most likely come down to common opponents, which Green Bay has the advantage over Detroit right now. (Detroit has lost to Carolina and Buffalo, and none of Green Bay's losses are teams the Lions play.)

The Packers have lost one of the common games with the Lions vs. the Saints. Aside of the Packers winning out there's no guarantee the Packers would win the tie-breaker vs. the Lions.

eaglesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB 31 Philly 21
imHo, Philly does not have the excuse that our backup is playing - Sanchez is a better QB than Foles right now. I truly believe that. in the know folks around the Eagles have been leaking that a lot of people thought Sanchez won the starter spot in preseason, but given Foles 2013 success he was given the job.
Isnt Bostick out?

eaglesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sold on Sanchez having consistent success in the Eagles system. He's not accurate enough and prone to make way too many mistakes. I like Kelly's work in Philadelphia but I don't think he'll be able to make a top tier QB out of Sanchez.
who knows - 7 quarters against iffy teams is not enough to be confident of anything...but...he has the talent to go 5th over all. he is now in a great system. I 'think' he is the real deal.

eaglesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has lost two home games in the last five years. I'll take him at home over any team Sanchez is on, with any head coach. Especially if these teams are as evenly matched as some of the "talking heads," think they are.

Packers 34
Eagles 27
I dont think any sane person would argue you about Sanchez vs Rodgers. That said, there is more to a team than just the QB. I am hopeful that our D show's that it travels well against a top O. I wouldnt bet on us going into Lambeau and winning but we have a shot.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Eagles are better with Sanchez than with Foles right now.

Philly's pass rush is tough, their secondary not as good. If the Packers OL can hold their own, Packers should come away with the win.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Eagles are better with Sanchez than with Foles right now.

Philly's pass rush is tough, their secondary not as good. If the Packers OL can hold their own, Packers should come away with the win.
I think any team that plays and beats Carolina looks good right now. I could beat them by myself with one hand behind my back.
And Foles has won more games than Sanchez has.
Sanchez has barely more TDs than INTs.
Other than that I agree with you.
We have the better offense.

H

HardRightEdge

I watched the PHI vs. CAR replay to see if this is a different Sanchez than what we saw with the Jets. I conclude he is not.

His strengths are good arm strength and mobility, and a decent release. Everybody knows that. Philly also runs a fair amount of read option or zone option, whatever is the terminology flavor of the day. I did not see Sanchez keep it off the option against Carolina, but he's capable of doing so.

Sanchez's key weakness in New York is still evident...slow processing. He tends to stare down his primary receiver, frequently glancing at that guy pre-snap. I don't see any signalling with those glances...it looks like he's pre-visualizing his primary throw. By the time he gets to the second guy in the progression he's deep into the 2.5 second clock. He never gets to the third guy.

So far, Sanchez has benefited from an outstanding pass blocking line...they've surrendered only 12 sacks, 3rd. best in the league, despite having the immobile Foles behind them most of the season. The two Sanchez opponents, HOU and CAR, are around the middle of league in sacks, as are the Packers. HOU and CAR are in the bottom 1/3 of the league in opponent passer rating while the Packers are 5th. in passer rating and 4th. in picks.

At the top of the Packer defense need-to-do list:

1. Hit Sanchez. This falls into the Capers' default position of heavy blitz frequency. Sacks are not important, though they're certainly helpful. The key is to get in his face and knock him around some. A pick or three will follow.

2. Contain Sproles. Quick little multi-tools like Harvin, and Sproles himself in the past, have given the Capers defenses trouble...blitzing opens space for these guys particularly with misdirection.

Item 2., plus the fact Sanchez can run, argues for a reprise of Matthews getting a heavy snap count in the middle to get some sideline-to-sideline speed in the box. He'll need to avoid guessing and over-committing on misdirection...getting suckered in other words.

If the Packers get a 10 point lead early, there is high likelihood Sanchez will fold...a fast start is the first item on the menu; no deferring if the Pack win the toss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts