OFFICIAL Packers Vs Bears Week 1 thread

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first bad defensive play will be blamed on Capers no matter what. All the defensive backs could trip and fall, leaving everyone open and it would be Capers' fault.

Divot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am fired up to see our play calling on O.

I am fired up to see our pass rush on D with Mulumba.

We gotta get Peppers a TD with a fade/jump ball pass.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first bad defensive play will be blamed on Capers no matter what. All the defensive backs could trip and fall, leaving everyone open and it would be Capers' fault.

What exactly IS Capers' responsibility? What CAN we blame him for?

D

Deleted member 6794

I am fired up to see our pass rush on D with Mulumba.

We gotta get Peppers a TD with a fade/jump ball pass.

Mulumba most likely won't get any significant snaps. The Packers tried to use Peppers as a pass catcher once last season, didn't work out at all. Better keep him on the other side of the ball.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What exactly IS Capers' responsibility? What CAN we blame him for?

He schemes and calls plays to put the players in a good position to make a play. After that point, it's up to the players to make the play. Are you suggesting every time a defensive play goes wrong, even when a player messes up , it's on Capers?

H

HardRightEdge

It's all but guaranteed Hyde would start for Burnett if he can't play. IMO that's no reason to keep him off punt returns though.
We'll see, but assuming a guy can play strong safety knocking heads all day following what...a neck spasm?...he can certainly return punts. Not using Hyde to return punts if he's physically able would be very hard to understand.

That said, I liked Montgomery in preseason as a punt returner better than a KO man. He looked pretty natural fielding punts and had some giddyup in his get along, by which I mean he takes the ball and makes his move apace...no delay in surveying the terrain or dancing around which is deadly in the punt game. He should do fine. But why forgo the use of a guy who has some special sauce?

As an aside, if Burnett can't go I would not be surprised if Richardson gets the call at strong safety on a fair number of snaps. Moving Hyde to SS when one of the key match-ups is nickel back vs. Bennett would suggest Hayward taking the nickel spot with the rookies playing the perimeter all day in nickel. Alternatively, Rollins takes the primary nickel back responsibility, a rookie against a 90 catch TE in an offense with dinged up wide receivers. I'd prefer to see strength against strength, while not setting up a Bears weakness (dinged up WRs) with more opportunities to exploit rookies.

H

HardRightEdge

Mulumba most likely won't get any significant snaps. The Packers tried to use Peppers as a pass catcher once last season, didn't work out at all. Better keep him on the other side of the ball.
I think Mulumba outplayed Perry in the preseason when the (once again) dinged up Perry managed to see the field. But I agree...they'll want to give the first rounder every opportunity to justify the investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

He schemes and calls plays to put the players in a good position to make a play. After that point, it's up to the players to make the play. Are you suggesting every time a defensive play goes wrong, even when a player messes up , it's on Capers?
First, there is a culture of finesse over tackling. McCarthy complains annually, then the pursuit and the tackling gets better. Capers should be doing the complaining before the head coach is forced to call them out in the press.

A multi-scheme with lots of rotations and disguises intended to confuse the opponent has the risk of confusing your own players, especially when there's a perpetual youth movement. There is enough youth on this defense, guys with a year or less experience who will start or be in the rotations (Dix, ? at perimeter corner when Hayward plays nickel/dime, maybe a second rookie corner in dime if Burnett can't go, Barrington, Palmer, maybe some of Ryan, Pennel, probably some Gaston on pass downs) creating opportunities for miscommunication.

While I would not expect it to be as bad as with M.D. Jennings, where adjustments were still going on at the snap and with DBs yapping at each other in the end zone over who blew the coverage, McCarthy's call for "less scheme, more pre-snap adjustments" makes sense. If history is any indication, Capers will keep doing what he does.

As for the topic of this thread, playing the rebuilding, dinged up Bears is a fortunate way to start in order to work out some of the kinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

As an aside, if Burnett can't go I would not be surprised if Richardson gets the call at strong safety on a fair number of snaps. Moving Hyde to SS when one of the key match-ups is nickel back vs. Bennett would suggest Hayward taking the nickel spot with the rookies playing the perimeter all day in nickel. Alternatively, Rollins takes the primary nickel back responsibility, a rookie against a 90 catch TE in an offense with dinged up wide receivers. I'd prefer to see strength against strength, while not setting up a Bears weakness (dinged up WRs) with more opportunities to exploit rookies.

The Packers mostly covered Bennett with a safety during the two games vs. the Bears last season. If that's the case once again I don't want Richardson anywhere near him.

Sky King

Reaction score
I'm less harsh on Capers than I am on Ted Thomson and his personnel staff, and I respect Ted Thomson a great deal. Try as they might, for whatever reasons he and his assistants seem to fare less effectively at finding top-notch defensive players versus those who play on offense.

Arguably, on offense Packer upper-echelon players (league-wide) at their respective positions include Rodgers, Lacy, Nelson, Cobb, Sitton and possibly Bulaga. That's about half the starters. On defense there are Matthews, Peppers, and possibly Daniels. Not enough to be a top defense. Talent absolutely matters.

I must admit that I shout at the TV whenever I see a three man rush, however. Some of his bend-but-not-break philosophy annoys me, too. But in my judgment the most significant problem with the lackluster defenses has been a lack of top-notch talent in adequate numbers. Capers doesn't draft them or acquire the free agents, and that is not an insignificant part of the equation. He plays the hand that's dealt him.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, there is a culture of finesse over tackling. McCarthy complains annually, then the pursuit and the tackling gets better. Capers should be doing the complaining before the head coach is forced to call them out in the press.

A multi-scheme with lots of rotations and disguises intended to confuse the opponent has the risk of confusing your own players, especially when there's a perpetual youth movement. There is enough youth on this defense, guys with a year or less experience who will start or be in the rotations (Dix, ? at perimeter corner when Hayward plays nickel/dime, maybe a second rookie corner in dime if Burnett can't go, Barrington, Palmer, maybe some of Ryan, Pennel, probably some Gaston on pass downs) creating opportunities for miscommunication.

While I would not expect it to be as bad as with M.D. Jennings, where adjustments were still going on at the snap and with DBs yapping at each other in the end zone over who blew the coverage, McCarthy's call for "less scheme, more pre-snap adjustments" makes sense. If history is any indication, Capers will keep doing what he does.

As for the topic of this thread, playing the rebuilding, dinged up Bears is a fortunate way to start in order to work out some of the kinks.

The point of my posts was to simply say often a player mistake results in a bad defensive play, but many people will blame Capers anyway.

H

HardRightEdge

If a WR puts a double move on one of the rookie CBs and hangs his jock on the scoreboard, I'll blame the player to be sure.

If it happens to be Randall, who is clearly not ready to play cover on the perimeter, in a nickel defense without Dix providing top side help, I'll blame Dix in addition if he was merely leaning to Shields' side for no apparent reason, or I'll add Capers to the list if it looked like Dix was productively engaged elsewhere such as if Bennett beats Barrington out of the blocks on a seam route.

If these guys who have collectively shown they can pursue and gang tackle have one of those no-punt games where they do not collectively tackle, I'll blame Capers.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we win 31-13 and our combined rushing attack goes for 139 yards. That being said I am ready/anxious/nervous about special teams. I really wish they would have have hired some new blood for ST coach instead of promoting Zook. Maybe they will turn it around.

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either that or they're buying it to burn it or something. I don't know."

.i noticed in some of the articles, those "articles" are sponsored (aka advertisement) So it could be a ploy to get jerseys sold... .this just a merketing ploy..

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the last 3 seasons we have started 0-1. Time to turn that around and get our first division win of the season at the same time. The Bears are kind of a question mark with a new head coach, etc. But we know who we are. With it being in Chicago, it may be a little tougher. But I say we pull ahead by double digits late.

Packers: 31
Bears: 21

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too much of the Capers criticism is aimed at schemes etc but to my mind this isn't the issue. As a defensive unit we are not the Seahawks but we don't have to be, what we do need to be is consistant on every down with players performing to the best of their ability. I truly believe that we have a top 10 defence WHEN WE DECIDE TO TURN UP.

Where does responsibility for attitude rather than ability lie?

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any who......

Back to Packers at Bears. Opening day of the season, 7.00am here in the UK, can't ******* wait!!!!! Sorry but I'm that up for it.

Honestly believe we will get it down this year and it starts today.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts