Official 2022 week 1 pregame thread vs Vikings

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers and Vikings are scheduled for kickoff at 3:25 p.m. from U.S. Bank Stadium on Sunday afternoon. The game will air on FOX.
Packers are 1.5-point road favorites over the rival Minnesota Vikings.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It appears MLF used the same protocol leading up to week one as he did last year. Why should we expect different results? With a 17 game season and 7 playoff teams per conference, treating week 1 as a pre-season game for the starters may not be unreasonable. It sure looked like the Packers were woefully unprepared for week 1 in 2021 and 2022 appears to be no different. The Packers won 13 games last season even with a game 1 farce prompting MFL to stick to the protocol. Considering the 2021 team started Jenkins, Tonyan and Adams and still stunk it up for 3 points, I would be surprised if the offensive output is any better on Sunday. While it's a regular season game, the Packers have showed the past two seasons that they don't have a home field advantage in the playoffs which puts even less of an emphasis to treat game 1 other than a glorified pre- season game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It appears MLF used the same protocol leading up to week one as he did last year. Why should we expect different results? With a 17 game season and 7 playoff teams per conference, treating week 1 as a pre-season game for the starters may not be unreasonable. It sure looked like the Packers were woefully unprepared for week 1 in 2021 and 2022 appears to be no different. The Packers won 13 games last season even with a game 1 farce prompting MFL to stick to the protocol. Considering the 2021 team started Jenkins, Tonyan and Adams and still stunk it up for 3 points, I would be surprised if the offensive output is any better on Sunday. While it's a regular season game, the Packers have showed the past two seasons that they don't have a home field advantage in the playoffs which puts even less of an emphasis to treat game 1 other than a glorified pre- season game.
Interesting take..like it

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting take..like it
It's a very long season. I don't see much urgency by the Packers to peak early in the season. Who's going to kick Sunday? Who's going to play OT or TE? It will take some time for the offense and special teams to get their feet under them. While I want the Packers to win every game, I'd much rather have them peaking at the end of the year going into the playoffs. My expectations for the first month of the season are not very high.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Game 1 is against an NFC North division foe. To be nonchalant & treat this game as preseason #4 is foolhardy & ridiculous.

Division leader makes it into the playoffs, and NFC wins determine wildcard entrants & seeding...to treat this as a disposable game makes no sense at all.

FYI- Lazard was only player to sit out of practice & not participate in some capacity.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus it is against a HATED division rival with a new coaching staff. That team is already chirping, paper champions never stop!

Reaction score
Game 1 is against an NFC North division foe. To be nonchalant & treat this game as preseason #4 is foolhardy & ridiculous.

Division leader makes it into the playoffs, and NFC wins determine wildcard entrants & seeding...to treat this as a disposable game makes no sense at all.

FYI- Lazard was only player to sit out of practice & not participate in some capacity.
Exactly. I think the Vikings will be our toughest of the 3 Division games on the Road. That said, this isn't going to be our usual middle of the road Packer Defense either. The Vikings have a bunch of Offensive weapons right now, maybe a top 8-10 type Offense? Although I think we have a top 5 Defense and most people who focus on our Offensive side of the ball are going to be in for a big surprise. It's not IF, its only WHEN will our D put it all together this season.

Last edited:

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why anyone would want this to be treated as a 4th preseason game is crazy to me. We’re talking about Vikings-Packers to kick off the season. A divisional game on the road. Can’t take this lightly. Every divisional game has got to be a win. Even a loss here could come back to bite us down the road this season. Lost the season opener to the Saints last year, no big deal. Can’t have that mindset against a divisional opponent.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The key with Bak- and Jenkins - will be can they hold up under the rigors of game action, and will they be playing up to their previous levels at some point.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The key with Bak- and Jenkins - will be can they hold up under the rigors of game action, and will they be playing up to their previous levels at some point.
That’s the key. While I want them to play, I don’t want them to risk anything. I’m confident that at some point this season both these guys will be 100%

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF didn't play any starters in pre-season to get them in football shape and timing in order to avoid more injuries. He put the long-term needs of the team above getting the team as ready as possible to start the season. Game 1 is against a division foe but MFL didn't deviate from the 2021 protocol that resulted in a week 1 lopsided loss but worked out OK as the team won 13 games. If the Vikings game is so huge, then why did MFL stick to the 2021 protocol that resulted in a flat and rusty week 1 performance? The fans want to see the Packers treat this game as a huge deal, but MLF's decisions point to treating this game as merely the initial action for the starters.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF didn't play any starters in pre-season to get them in football shape and timing in order to avoid more injuries. He put the long-term needs of the team above getting the team as ready as possible to start the season. Game 1 is against a division foe but MFL didn't deviate from the 2021 protocol that resulted in a week 1 lopsided loss but worked out OK as the team won 13 games. If the Vikings game is so huge, then why did MFL stick to the 2021 protocol that resulted in a flat and rusty week 1 performance? The fans want to see the Packers treat this game as a huge deal, but MLF's decisions point to treating this game as merely the initial action for the starters.
A lot of our starters don’t really need game time action to be ready IMO. Guys like Aaron Rodgers could skip all of camp, come out week one and throw dimes. Other guys like receivers, TEs, etc maybe not. I may be wrong, but with veteran guys they’re already game ready. I hope that’s the case this Sunday anyway

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Guys like Aaron Rodgers could skip all of camp, come out week one and throw dimes.
His 38 rating last year week 1 says different and yes the Oline had issues..

but your statement technically is wrong.

Most qb can gave good days if no Oline isues...

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about Rodgers playing well and I can see the point of not playing people in the final preseason game. Those games are a bit less controlled because of players trying to make the team imho. And it's a long season. I do consider it an important game and I am sure every Packer player knows it is important.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His 38 rating last year week 1 says different and yes the Oline had issues..

but your statement technically is wrong.

Most qb can gave good days if no Oline isues...
“Your statement is technically wrong.”

Isn’t that why it’s an opinion? I wasn’t stating it like it was fact. That’s just my opinion.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'd feel better about our offense if #12 and all of his new receivers had played a Quarter or 2 in preaseason together. That said, even if they had, I think that there are going to be some growing pains for the offense that extend beyond the first game or 2.

While the offense did suck opening day in 2022 against the Saints, they lit it up in 2020 against the Vikings, their young secondary and in an empty Stadium.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd feel better about our offense if #12 and all of his new receivers had played a Quarter or 2 in preaseason together. That said, even if they had, I think that there are going to be some growing pains for the offense that extend beyond the first game or 2.

While the offense did suck opening day in 2022 against the Saints, they lit it up in 2020 against the Vikings, their young secondary and in an empty Stadium.
NOBODY had preseason games in 2020. Did the Vikings play their starters this year in the PS?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
NOBODY had preseason games in 2020. Did the Vikings play their starters this year in the PS?
Good point on 2020 not having preseason games. I'm not super familiar with the Vikings roster, but a quick glance at their 3 PS games stats, shows no names that I am familiar with (Cousins, Jefferson, Thielen, Cook).

D

Deleted member 6794

While I understand the reasoning behind not playing starters in meaningless preseason games I definitely want the Packers to do everything in their power to win at Minnesota on Sunday.

There's no reason to treat a game that counts in the standings like a preseason game, especially if there are only 17 in total to begin with.

The Vikings hardly played any of their starters this preseason as well. Rookie offensive lineman Ed Ingram played the most snaps with a total of 64, none other played more than 27 with most of their stars sitting out the entire preseason as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Lazard doesn't go, fully expect Sammy to get a ton of work and possibly add to his epic level week 1 type performances he seems to cash in yearly with.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As referenced above I'll support it with historical references here with last four seasons of late....

2021 - Week 1 Sammy posted 96 yards. He would only break 50 one time the rest of the seasons in week 3 two games later (68 yards)
2020 - Week 1 posted 82 yards and a TD...he would finish year with only 2 TDs and while he broke 50 three more times none were higher than 62 yards.
2019 - Week 1 HE EXPLODED with 198 yards and 3 TDs...he wouldn't catch another TD the rest of the year and only add 475 yards in 13 more games played in.
2018 - Week 1 Last time he did not have season highs in first week...produced just 21 yards on 3 receptions.

Here's to hoping we get another awesome opener out of Sammy

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what you're saying is I should be playing Sammy week 1 in fantasy football, and starting week 2 it's Christian Watson time!!?? ;)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what you're saying is I should be playing Sammy week 1 in fantasy football, and starting week 2 it's Christian Watson time!!?? ;)

LOL honestly I'd stay away from Packer receivers at first till it sorts itself out. I think Aaron will be solid at QB still but it is going to be ever changing who receives it I think...however I strongly think argument could be made to start both Dillon and Jones even if you have them both on your roster...their usage I expect is going to be north of 20 touches each every game.

Members online

Latest posts