Reaction score
The main five:

Tom 83.0
Bakh 68.6
Jenkins 61.8
Runyan 59.9
Myers 40.0
Thanks!

I know it's just 1 game and it was against just the Bears, but Tom is so impressive. If Aaron Jones played more, I think these numbers get boosted more. He can make OL look better than they are.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Tyni. I like your way of putting the total grade of an OL out there. I figured something was up when someone tried to dispute your research. Turns out I was correct, they were only looking at half of the equation. Go Pack.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL No case needed, I won't ever make declarative stances as fact based on PFF grades for sure. Shoot...Fields and Love graded out overall very similar....LOL

The Packers offense played much better than the Bears did but PFF doesn't give Love a ton of credit for the screen play that Jones ran in for the TD (Love threw the ball behind the line of scrimmage accurately and that was it). I think Love was the better passer and PFF's grade shows that (Love's passing grade was 10 points higher than Field's). The overall grade takes into account runs as well though and Fields graded out much better in that; 82 vs 67.5. Two carries by Fields for 59 yards vs 1 carry for 12 yards for Fields.

Another reason why overall grades, for positions like QB and CB should be taken with a grain of salt. You really want to focus on what you want from those positions and just look at that grade (passing for QB or coverage for CB).

Edit: Just saw that PFF addressed the Love vs Field topic on their recent podcast. Primary reasons Love didn't grade out more highly:
- On the fumbled snap, he underthrew Musgrave which meant the throw, while not graded negatively, was not a positive grade because a good throw would have resulted in Musgrave scoring a TD
- On one slant to Doubs, Love threw the ball off target and, if Doubs hadn't batted the ball, the ball would have gone straight to the safety
- No credit to Love on the Jones TD screen because they would expect any average NFL QB to be able to make that throw

Also important context on overall grade, Fields had the most forced missed tackles of any QB in week 1 (which juiced up his run grade) and Fields was under pressure at the second highest rate of any QB while Love was pressured at the lowest rate (so Love's job was easier)

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL No case needed, I won't ever make declarative stances as fact based on PFF grades for sure. Shoot...Fields and Love graded out overall very similar....LOL
I love stats. The problem is, they often mislead us. They don't take into consideration the factors that need to be addressed. As an example, a LT could grade out very high, if the opposition doesn't have a guy who can apply pressure from the outside, as an edge rusher. The next game, he could run into the best edge rusher in the league, who's young, and has the stamina to wreak havoc on every play. That's where the subjective part comes in, and if the person using the stats chooses, they can use their own prejudices in their personal evaluation and let the stats tell the story they want to tell.

Personally, I believe their stats information is good, but because they rely too much on them telling the "whole story," they are so inaccurate that they aren't in the slightest bit reliable. They may give you information about what happened, but not even evaluation where needed.

I've always used a particular football player to show how stats can be deceiving. Eddie George is the example. He only averaged a little over 3 yards per carry, year after year, and for a career. Yet, he went into the HOF. Most teams would have replaced someone who was that ineffective. The norm line is 4 yards per carry, by most standards. The thing, about George, that doesn't show in the stats, is that you could count on him getting positive yardage, not lose yardage on plays. You could also count on him hanging onto the ball, and you could count on his blocking skills. None of that boils down to stats. That's the real litmus test of a player. What you see, and what you get, in real time.

Anyhow, that's why I take stats for what they are.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Tyni. I like your way of putting the total grade of an OL out there. I figured something was up when someone tried to dispute your research. Turns out I was correct, they were only looking at half of the equation. Go Pack.
Was that directed to me? I hope not, because I wasn't disputing ****

I showed what I saw and wasn't aware it wasn't the full grade.

Reaction score
No real surprises truthfully.
The one I disagree with is Nixon and don’t take this personally as I know you’re just the messenger. They obviously put tremendous weight on that Corner TD. He got tangled in a crossing pattern and was slightly late to the ball. That said it was just as much a well executed play and perfect ball placement. He was close enough to catch up and shove the Receiver after that coverage mishap, it’s not like what I’d call Burn Level 3 grade there. It’s a 2nd Degree burn for a player that otherwise was very good imo. But ok I get it the Bears scored 14 pts all day before those Bears were feeding from the 4th Qtr trash can. Aside from that Nixon was part of an overall D effort that gave Fields problems all day. Nixon had the 2nd most tackles (7 solo) and if you watch him closer he had a TFL and was all over that field making plays

No way on this green Earth does Rudy Ford score higher than K Nixon cause Rudy was an absolute liability on every play he was involved in. Had they reversed those scores I’d let that go but if I picked a player to pull last Sunday it’d be Rudy. He’s on a short leash with me and only because he flashed last season some. We need an upgrade imo unless he does a 180

I’m elated to see Devonte Wyatt in that top List! He got such a hard time from some posters in here and he’s been rated on small samples. Here he played more and.. Voila! he’s a good player. You can tell he needs a little refinement, but he’s a high floor athlete and he hustles and I was impressed.

Walker is who we thought he is great and when surrounded by talent (like Georgia or GB) he’s a strong link. I feel bad he got hammered on his TD though that hit was tough. Even the Bear tackling him from behind nearly got knocked out that collision was brutal. I’m actually surprised he jumped up and celebrated me thinks he was dazed.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks!

I know it's just 1 game and it was against just the Bears, but Tom is so impressive. If Aaron Jones played more, I think these numbers get boosted more. He can make OL look better than they are.
We have to get Dillion going. He seems to be half a step slow or he is just running into a brick wall and not seeing daylight. Aaron cannot be expected to do it all.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta start paying attention to the calls more in a detailed sense. My buddy swears that Dillon runs rarely have the motion or blocking schemes that Jones gets…I guess I never paid attention to notice.

Either way Dillon started SLOW last year too and finished strong - hopefully that happens this year.

Members online

Latest posts