Best and Worst PFF Grades From Week 1 vs Bears

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(remember have to have minimum of 10 snaps)

Best Offense

Zach Tom - 84.8
Romeo Doubs - 78.4
David Bakhtiari - 78.3
Aaron Jones - 71.3
Samori Toure - 66.9

Worst Offense

Josh Myers - 44.0
Josiah Deguara - 47.3
Dontayvion Wicks - 47.7
Tucker Kraft - 53.2
AJ Dillon - 55.0

Best Defense

Quay Walker - 92.1
Rashan Gary - 83.4
Devonte Wyatt - 82.5
Rasul Douglas - 75.7
Darnell Savage - 72.3 & Preston Smith - 72.3

Worst Defense

Keisean Nixon - 49.3 & Isaiah McDuffie - 49.3
Rudy Ford - 52.1
Karl Brooks - 54.8
Jonathan Owens - 57.3

I've said it before but when your worst 5 have guys in the fifties, often times you're going to be in the game or for sure winning it.

No real surprises truthfully.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Best Offense

Zach Tom - 84.8
Romeo Doubs - 78.4
David Bakhtiari - 78.3
Aaron Jones - 71.3
Samori Toure - 66.9

Worst Offense

Josh Myers - 44.0
Josiah Deguara - 47.3
Dontayvion Wicks - 47.7
Tucker Kraft - 53.2
AJ Dillon - 55.0

Best Defense

Quay Walker - 92.1
Rashan Gary - 83.4
Devonte Wyatt - 82.5
Rasul Douglas - 75.7

Worst Defense

Rudy Ford - 52.1
Karl Brooks - 54.8
Jonathan Owens - 57.3

I've said it before but when your worst 5 have guys in the fifties, often times you're going to be in the game or for sure winning it.

Josh Myers, a 44.0? The worst guy on offense? I thought he played a good game. In fact, I thought the entire line did a terrific job. I'd have to see how it wasn't considerably higher. Just check out the sacks, hits, and hurries. I would guess it would tell a different story to be honest. But, that's just my opinion.

Maybe I don't understand exactly how the points are assessed.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josh Myers, a 44.0? The worst guy on offense? I thought he played a good game. In fact, I thought the entire line did a terrific job. I'd have to see how it wasn't considerably higher. Just check out the sacks, hits, and hurries. I would guess it would tell a different story to be honest. But, that's just my opinion.

Maybe I don't understand exactly how the points are assessed.
I also didn’t imagine he was that worse, I’m really curious as to what plays specifically he was the reason for failure. Couple big losses or sacks can wreck a lineman’s grade and I wonder if when I review the game if I noticed them.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also didn’t imagine he was that worse, I’m really curious as to what plays specifically he was the reason for failure. Couple big losses or sacks can wreck a lineman’s grade and I wonder if when I review the game if I noticed them.
Exactly. I just did some checking, and it appears PFF says he did a lousy job in run blocking. I doubted it, so I did some digging, and found that the Packers coaching staff seems to think he did a darned good job. That tells me that PFF doesn't exactly get it right on some of these guys, because they probably don't have a clue as to what their true assignments are, on given plays. Ergo? Disagreements in rating a play.

Josh gets enough bad press without them giving him an arbitrary number that makes him look bad. When he plays as well as he did, keeping them off Love, I'm happy as a buck rabbit with a herd of lady bunnies.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two bad snaps are pretty bad for a center, no? Missed a block on Trumaine Edmunds which resulted in negative run, lost a reach block (can't remember against who), few other plays where he seemed like he didn't want to catch any cooties from the defender. Myers can look good on some plays, he's just horribly inconsistent and he tends to be more negative than positive when it comes to run blocking.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I thought Myers looked lousy. The first TFL that the Bears had early was on him, for instance. He whiffed completely on a couple blocks in space. He’s just not very good.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Myers looked lousy. The first TFL that the Bears had early was on him, for instance. He whiffed completely on a couple blocks in space. He’s just not very good.

That TFL is one I noticed and circled, stuff like that hit ******* grading.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Best Offense

Zach Tom - 84.8
Romeo Doubs - 78.4
David Bakhtiari - 78.3
Aaron Jones - 71.3
Samori Toure - 66.9

Worst Offense

Josh Myers - 44.0
Josiah Deguara - 47.3
Dontayvion Wicks - 47.7
Tucker Kraft - 53.2
AJ Dillon - 55.0

Best Defense

Quay Walker - 92.1
Rashan Gary - 83.4
Devonte Wyatt - 82.5
Rasul Douglas - 75.7

Worst Defense

Rudy Ford - 52.1
Karl Brooks - 54.8
Jonathan Owens - 57.3

Glad to see Bahk and Tom with the high grades. We certainly need that protection for Jordan.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two bad snaps are pretty bad for a center, no? Missed a block on Trumaine Edmunds which resulted in negative run, lost a reach block (can't remember against who), few other plays where he seemed like he didn't want to catch any cooties from the defender. Myers can look good on some plays, he's just horribly inconsistent and he tends to be more negative than positive when it comes to run blocking.
Imagine what would have happened if he was going against the Cowboy line.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. I just did some checking, and it appears PFF says he did a lousy job in run blocking. I doubted it, so I did some digging, and found that the Packers coaching staff seems to think he did a darned good job. That tells me that PFF doesn't exactly get it right on some of these guys, because they probably don't have a clue as to what their true assignments are, on given plays. Ergo? Disagreements in rating a play.

Josh gets enough bad press without them giving him an arbitrary number that makes him look bad. When he plays as well as he did, keeping them off Love, I'm happy as a buck rabbit with a herd of lady bunnies.
Yeah I'm no Myers fan, but the entire O line looked outstanding. I understand Tom in the 80s. But Myers in the 40s? Huh?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I'm no Myers fan, but the entire O line looked outstanding. I understand Tom in the 80s. But Myers in the 40s? Huh?

There were three plays I located where he absolutely blew the play, believe the two biggest was the TFL Walker got and the QB Hit he was credited with were placed against Myers. I am not on PFF staff of course so no way to confirm. Also two botched snaps hurt a center grade too.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were three plays I located where he absolutely blew the play, believe the two biggest was the TFL Walker got and the QB Hit he was credited with were placed against Myers. I am not on PFF staff of course so no way to confirm. Also two botched snaps hurt a center grade too.
Thanks Ty. Seems like Myers is the weak link on that O line. But I'm not complaining after what I saw Sunday. Yeah it's the Bears, but I liked the O line going in. Gotta credit the coaching in Gb because the line always seems to be a strength. Not to be cute, but Rodgers could have used GB's O line last night. Gotta keep the QB safe.

And while Love had a great opener, he's not quite as fleet on his feet as I thought he'd be. Maybe it was because he had little need to run. And that's fine. I'm not crazy about running QBs like Fields, Allen, Hurts, and others. Limited shelf life when QBs think they're RBs.....

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Ty. Seems like Myers is the weak link on that O line. But I'm not complaining after what I saw Sunday. Yeah it's the Bears, but I liked the O line going in. Gotta credit the coaching in Gb because the line always seems to be a strength. Not to be cute, but Rodgers could have used GB's O line last night. Gotta keep the QB safe.

And while Love had a great opener, he's not quite as fleet on his feet as I thought he'd be. Maybe it was because he had little need to run. And that's fine. I'm not crazy about running QBs like Fields, Allen, Hurts, and others. Limited shelf life when QBs think they're RBs.....

The one thing PFF will do is lie about the BODY of work a player has in one game. You can have a TE be solid throughout, four targets and four receptions for say 40 yards, solid at blocking, but fumble one of the receptions while running....deflation happens fast. Now if a player consistently has high PFF grades it for sure indicates something, but week to week you have to look at it somewhat as a rather large grain of salt for referencing (not a tiny or miniscule grain but still salt).

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Best Offense

Zach Tom - 84.8
Romeo Doubs - 78.4
David Bakhtiari - 78.3
Aaron Jones - 71.3
Samori Toure - 66.9

Worst Offense

Josh Myers - 44.0
Josiah Deguara - 47.3
Dontayvion Wicks - 47.7
Tucker Kraft - 53.2
AJ Dillon - 55.0

Best Defense

Quay Walker - 92.1
Rashan Gary - 83.4
Devonte Wyatt - 82.5
Rasul Douglas - 75.7

Worst Defense

Rudy Ford - 52.1
Karl Brooks - 54.8
Jonathan Owens - 57.3

Am I tripping? Numbers not same

Best player: David BakhtiariHe did not allow a single pressure against the Bears, and his 89.9 pass-blocking gradetied for the highest mark among offensive linemen in Week 1.17 hours ago

https://www.pff.com › news › nfl-o...

NFL offensive line rankings ahead of Week 2 - PFF

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're speaking solely to PassBlk, I post the overall figures...probably not supposed to do this but here is the offensive overall from Week 1

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass Blocking overall grade after one week we have a LEAGUE top 5 of:

David Bakhtiari 89.9
Braxton Jones 89.9
Alaric Jackson 88.5
Sam Cosmi 88.4
Quinn Meinerz 88.3

GB best pass blockers after week 1:

Bakh 89.9
Tom 83.6
Runyan 68.2
Myers 67.5
Jenkins 52.9

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

David Bakhtiari 89.9
Braxton Jones 89.9
Alaric Jackson 88.5
Sam Cosmi 88.4
Quinn Meinerz 88.3

Bakh 89.9
Tom 83.6
Runyan 68.2
Myers 67.5
Jenkins 52.9
Can you share Packers run blocking scores?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing PFF will do is lie about the BODY of work a player has in one game. You can have a TE be solid throughout, four targets and four receptions for say 40 yards, solid at blocking, but fumble one of the receptions while running....deflation happens fast. Now if a player consistently has high PFF grades it for sure indicates something, but week to week you have to look at it somewhat as a rather large grain of salt for referencing (not a tiny or miniscule grain but still salt).
So the question becomes, does the fumble offset the reception yardage when it comes to the overall value of the player to a team? In your example, if I knew ahead of time the TE would catch 4 for 30 yds and fumble one, I would sit him on the bench all game. You are better off without him.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

David Bakhtiari 89.9
Braxton Jones 89.9
Alaric Jackson 88.5
Sam Cosmi 88.4
Quinn Meinerz 88.3

Bakh 89.9
Tom 83.6
Runyan 68.2
Myers 67.5
Jenkins 52.9
If you go way back in this thread, I said that Myers did a much better job than his rating said. Also, based on a statement from someone I know from inside the organization, I was told that they thought he did a decent job, since the Bears tried to exploit him, thinking he was the weakest link. When the guy next to him, who is a potential all pro, Jenkins, is graded well below him, it tells me the Bears were in fact, attacking that area of our offense.

You mentioned it in another post in this thread. Sometimes the perameters of gauging play can be skewed by one or two plays way too much. It's also a little too subjective, and there will be prejudices in how someone views the play. I doubt very much that this is a purely algorithm driven evaluation, because each supposed blown play has to be viewed from a subjective point of view.

I rest my case! :)

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you go way back in this thread, I said that Myers did a much better job than his rating said. Also, based on a statement from someone I know from inside the organization, I was told that they thought he did a decent job, since the Bears tried to exploit him, thinking he was the weakest link. When the guy next to him, who is a potential all pro, Jenkins, is graded well below him, it tells me the Bears were in fact, attacking that area of our offense.

You mentioned it in another post in this thread. Sometimes the perameters of gauging play can be skewed by one or two plays way too much. It's also a little too subjective, and there will be prejudices in how someone views the play. I doubt very much that this is a purely algorithm driven evaluation, because each supposed blown play has to be viewed from a subjective point of view.

I rest my case! :)

LOL No case needed, I won't ever make declarative stances as fact based on PFF grades for sure. Shoot...Fields and Love graded out overall very similar....LOL

Members online

Latest posts