Official Game Day Thread: Packers @ Buccaneers 11/8: LOSE 38 - 28

tripleguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can look in his eyes and see that's not the case

What If it comes to light that Ted wante dMoss but was over ruled?

In fact what if it comes to light that Ted was over ruled on more than a few things?

Just asking a honest question

And WELCOME

That molley-eyed general manger has such an ego on him that he wouldn't allow anyone to suggest a personnel move contrary to what he is thinking. Most of the current roster, including Rosie, were hand-picked by him. I'm not buying that Harlan or Murphy would say no to Moss and that was contrary to what TT wanted. Maybe it was John Jones, before he backed out of the GM position? Yeah, right. If you're suggesting that Murphy overruled because he felt Moss would tarnish the Packer's image, then WTF did the handling of the Favre incident and the $20M payollah offer do to enhance it? I think it was on Ted - new GM, let him call the shots. All I can say now is I hope the man with the run-away bride eyes is out of here at the end of the season and that he takes Rosie, his right hand man with him. Can't happen soon enough. If Murph really wants to send a message, he should do the unthinkable - after the loss next week to Dallas, axe them both. That would give true Packer fans hope. I desperatly want my team to win, but I'm almost hoping for a sub-500 season so the root cause of problems is addressed. Until that happens, we will toil in mediocraty.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
That molley-eyed general manger has such an ego on him that he wouldn't allow anyone to suggest a personnel move contrary to what he is thinking. Most of the current roster, including Rosie, were hand-picked by him. I'm not buying that Harlan or Murphy would say no to Moss and that was contrary to what TT wanted. Maybe it was John Jones, before he backed out of the GM position? Yeah, right. If you're suggesting that Murphy overruled because he felt Moss would tarnish the Packer's image, then WTF did the handling of the Favre incident and the $20M payollah offer do to enhance it? I think it was on Ted - new GM, let him call the shots. All I can say now is I hope the man with the run-away bride eyes is out of here at the end of the season and that he takes Rosie, his right hand man with him. Can't happen soon enough. If Murph really wants to send a message, he should do the unthinkable - after the loss next week to Dallas, axe them both. That would give true Packer fans hope. I desperatly want my team to win, but I'm almost hoping for a sub-500 season so the root cause of problems is addressed. Until that happens, we will toil in mediocraty.

While I don't agree on alot of Ted Thomson dispositions during his tenure so far as GM of the Packers ... - I just don't see how everyone can blame it on "TT's Ego", when it's about the Randy Moss trade ... Alot seemed to indicate that the Packers and Ted Thomson was actually going to trade for Randy Moss, however, the trade was made to another side and Randy Moss ended up in New England ... and the rest is as the saying goes ... History ...

I didn't like that the Packers wanted to go on with out Favre in 2008, however from a purely business perspective - it was the *right* and correct (business and franchise) move - at *THAT* time ...

Alot more happened that wasn't disclosed in the media, and even then, if anyone bothered reading between the lines of all the media hype, would have picked up on that ... - However, we all know when it comes to the media, most of them, run a story, without first checking it's merits ... and the sad part is ... - It always "turn" on the "lead roles" - who will invariably (sp?) get caught up in the middle, having to address the media, who then will twist and turn every statement in order to sell more papers / magazines or get higher tv ratings ...

However, after the 2008 season ... and not looking to improve the current situation regarding the offensive line, as well as the special teams, and still only seemingly wanting to improve the team via the draft ... - From a business perspective - Moving on with Favre, started to seem a little "hasty" ...

Then onward to the 2009, where the Packers so far, has been the (unperfect) example of what usually happens when you don't address the possibilities of acquiring veterans via the free agency market ...

In 2008 - it was the right call ..., however taking into consideration the past actions done by the management overall, SINCE then, - from a business perspective - NOW - Moving on was *Not* the right decision ...

Last, the "sad" part of all this is also the "tragedy", because, despite the differences between Ted Thomson and Brett Favre ... When all is said and done ... - Those two people *where* actually a very good "fit" for each other ...

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What If it comes to light that Ted wante dMoss but was over ruled?

In fact what if it comes to light that Ted was over ruled on more than a few things?

Just asking a honest question.

Here's another honest question - who can over-rule TT? He's head of football operations. I'm pretty sure the only decision Mark Murphy can hurt TT with is his dismissal.

D

Dan115

Main Switchboard: 920.569.7500 Call The Packers office. Let them know how you feel.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of you have been complaining about that randy Moss trade that never happened. However you guys have to remember that the raiders made the offer first and part of that deal included ustrading them Aaron Rodgers. Should we have given up our future quarterback so that favre "might" have stayed with our team. Think about it the favre drama would still have occured and we would be without a qb overall.

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of you have been complaining about that randy Moss trade that never happened. However you guys have to remember that the raiders made the offer first and part of that deal included ustrading them Aaron Rodgers. Should we have given up our future quarterback so that favre "might" have stayed with our team. Think about it the favre drama would still have occured and we would be without a qb overall.
That's a great point you make. I would never have wanted to trade off Rogers for Moss. Personally, I never wanted Moss to begin with. I will never forgive the mooning incident. I hate that *sshole.

After watching this crappy game, I have lost my faith in McCarthy and I hope they send him Packing tomorrow along with half his staff. Bring in Cowher or Dungy to coach this team the rest of the way out. If TT doesn't make any good trades in the offseason, toss him out on his ear too !

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a great point you make. I would never have wanted to trade off Rogers for Moss. Personally, I never wanted Moss to begin with. I will never forgive the mooning incident. I hate that *sshole.

After watching this crappy game, I have lost my faith in McCarthy and I hope they send him Packing tomorrow along with half his staff. Bring in Cowher or Dungy to coach this team the rest of the way out. If TT doesn't make any good trades in the offseason, toss him out on his ear too !
Moss pushed a parking meter lady down the street with his car while he was with the Vikings so sometimes an A-hole with talent is not worth it.

own3dhs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow.. this is just sad. depressing. embarrassing. terrible. i have never been so upset at the team.. except for the 07 nfc game.. but that was just at favre....

please leave TT and McCarthy. We want Holmgren!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? You have some links on that, some proof? Because that would clarify A LOT of things... I didn't even had the idea that that was the case...

If that is indeed the case, then blaming TT for not trading Rodgers for Moss is the ultimate statement of a Favre agenda...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow.. this is just sad. depressing. embarrassing. terrible. i have never been so upset at the team.. except for the 07 nfc game.. but that was just at favre....

please leave TT and McCarthy. We want Holmgren!
Holmgren may be heading to Cleveland, or so I've heard... That's really bad to him, if he accept it...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? You have some links on that, some proof? Because that would clarify A LOT of things... I didn't even had the idea that that was the case...

If that is indeed the case, then blaming TT for not trading Rodgers for Moss is the ultimate statement of a Favre agenda...

Most of them are rumors but as you can see that was keeping us from getting Moss. The fact that we may have been without a sure QB for the future:

Randy Moss/Aaron Rodgers trade to be announced soon - Fantasy Football & NFL Forums By Sports Outlaw

NFL Draft News and Rumors: Aaron Rodgers for Randy Moss?

mitchdigger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I don't agree on alot of Ted Thomson dispositions during his tenure so far as GM of the Packers ... - I just don't see how everyone can blame it on "TT's Ego", when it's about the Randy Moss trade ... Alot seemed to indicate that the Packers and Ted Thomson was actually going to trade for Randy Moss, however, the trade was made to another side and Randy Moss ended up in New England ... and the rest is as the saying goes ... History ...

I didn't like that the Packers wanted to go on with out Favre in 2008, however from a purely business perspective - it was the *right* and correct (business and franchise) move - at *THAT* time ...

Alot more happened that wasn't disclosed in the media, and even then, if anyone bothered reading between the lines of all the media hype, would have picked up on that ... - However, we all know when it comes to the media, most of them, run a story, without first checking it's merits ... and the sad part is ... - It always "turn" on the "lead roles" - who will invariably (sp?) get caught up in the middle, having to address the media, who then will twist and turn every statement in order to sell more papers / magazines or get higher tv ratings ...

However, after the 2008 season ... and not looking to improve the current situation regarding the offensive line, as well as the special teams, and still only seemingly wanting to improve the team via the draft ... - From a business perspective - Moving on with Favre, started to seem a little "hasty" ...

Then onward to the 2009, where the Packers so far, has been the (unperfect) example of what usually happens when you don't address the possibilities of acquiring veterans via the free agency market ...

In 2008 - it was the right call ..., however taking into consideration the past actions done by the management overall, SINCE then, - from a business perspective - NOW - Moving on was *Not* the right decision ...

Last, the "sad" part of all this is also the "tragedy", because, despite the differences between Ted Thomson and Brett Favre ... When all is said and done ... - Those two people *where* actually a very good "fit" for each other ...
The difference is this -
If you are the GM of an NFL team you can go after free agent players 2 ways - first you can play the bidding game, make offers, try to get them cheap, or, secondly, you can do whatever it takes to bring the player into the fold. Remember Reggie?
TT is a lousy GM, and I defended him 'till now.
We need CHANGE!

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score

I don't buy that. NE got him for a draft pick. If we go a round better with our offer, he's a Packer.

Vgolfmaster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre wins, again

Sorry all you die-hards, and yes, I was once one too.....

You might all wish to thank Brett next time he is in town, instead of booing him. You see, some of us have been calling out TT ever since the Favre debacle, and many others are finally starting to catch on.

Brett and Ted didn't see eye to eye, and Ted decided to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Brett decided to fight back the only way he could, with the pigskin in his hands.

And for all of this, the pressure is FINALLY getting directed where it should have been the entire time, on Ted.

Was this Bretts plan?
Yes

Was it snakey?
Yes

But what Brett has done is PROVED that a team built through the draft AND free agency could be successful with him at the helm. He has now exposed the inadequacy of Ted Thompson, and deservedly so. And believe it or not, the Packers will be a better team for it. Ted now has NO OPTION but to address these issues, or get run out of town. Either way, the Packers improve. I'll leave it up to you to determine which would be more of an improvement.

For me, I'm wishing for Ted to go. Take the handcuffs of of Mike and let him coach. Unfortunately, I'll bet Ted tries to throw this on coaches and use them as his scapegoats. I can only hope that Pack Nation catches on, and puts the heat on Ted before this happens.

Ted, you got beat. Arie Fleischer isn't going to be enough to save you this time. You train will be leaving the station soon. Good riddance.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
The difference is this -
If you are the GM of an NFL team you can go after free agent players 2 ways - first you can play the bidding game, make offers, try to get them cheap, or, secondly, you can do whatever it takes to bring the player into the fold. Remember Reggie?
TT is a lousy GM, and I defended him 'till now.
We need CHANGE!

There is only one slight difference ...

The Packers are unique when it comes to "upper management" and is actually run like no other franchise through out the NFL ...

The 7 man Executive Commitee isn't just a "front figure" entity ... I'm not saying they are fully in charge when it comes to football management, that is why a GM is hired, however, they are not without influence either ...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There is only one slight difference ...

The Packers are unique when it comes to "upper management" and is actually run like no other franchise through out the NFL ...

The 7 man Executive Commitee isn't just a "front figure" entity ... I'm not saying they are fully in charge when it comes to football management, that is why a GM is hired, however, they are not without influence either ...

Jason Wilde brought that up on 540 ESPN Viking Sunday..

Said that the board said they were hiring Ari fleischer and according to him Ted wanted to make sure Brett didnt look bad in the media with all of the drama.

He also said that in years past with Harlan, the board stayed out of the football side just ran the business side..

Now its the very opposite, the board is very much involved with the football side.

Wouldnt be surprised to learn the board is telling Ted what to do

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
There might be a larger picture than what apparently seems to be ...

Think about it for a moment ... - Not very long from now the salary cap will be lifted across the NFL and those franchises that are not economically sound will find themselves in trouble and with this opening up a whole new free agency market, as well as contract structuring, probably resulting in shorter contracts with larger pay off (to the players) ..., unfortunately it could open up the possibility of watching franchise implode, due to sheer economical instabilities, due to too heavy expenditures ...

As I understand it, those contracts already negotiated, will not be changed, meaning, that once the salary cap is lifted, those franchises with plenty of dollars to spend, will have much more "free reign" while they are still economical healthy, where as alot of those franchises who have already spent their money, will find themselves in a tougher spot, without the added channeling of funds from their respective owners ...

A similar problem persists in football (aka soccer), where you see alot of large Soccer Clubs, with huge debts, who are having to be bailed out by their respective governments, in order to avoid bankrupcy, because they are bent on spending huge amounts of money, chasing down success (mainly in the Champions League) ... And those soccer clubs that do not make the CL on a consistent basis, pay for this the very next season ...

Since the Packers is not a "One man owned" franchise, but a "public" company, the unwillingness to purchase (rather costly) free agents before the salary cap is lifted, could be explained ... - As the Packers do not have access to the "same funds" as other franchises have, and have to secure their company via other means ... Because as a public company the organisation has other responsibilities than your average NFL Franchise ...

I'm not saying that this is why, however, it does put the situation into a perspective ... - And could be another reason (not the sole reason) that the Board (Executive Board) are "meddling" more than they perhaps should with football operations ...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There might be a larger picture than what apparently seems to be ...

Think about it for a moment ... - Not very long from now the salary cap will be lifted across the NFL and those franchises that are not economically sound will find themselves in trouble and with this opening up a whole new free agency market, as well as contract structuring, probably resulting in shorter contracts with larger pay off (to the players) ..., unfortunately it could open up the possibility of watching franchise implode, due to sheer economical instabilities, due to too heavy expenditures ...

As I understand it, those contracts already negotiated, will not be changed, meaning, that once the salary cap is lifted, those franchises with plenty of dollars to spend, will have much more "free reign" while they are still economical healthy, where as alot of those franchises who have already spent their money, will find themselves in a tougher spot, without the added channeling of funds from their respective owners ...

A similar problem persists in football (aka soccer), where you see alot of large Soccer Clubs, with huge debts, who are having to be bailed out by their respective governments, in order to avoid bankrupcy, because they are bent on spending huge amounts of money, chasing down success (mainly in the Champions League) ... And those soccer clubs that do not make the CL on a consistent basis, pay for this the very next season ...

Since the Packers is not a "One man owned" franchise, but a "public" company, the unwillingness to purchase (rather costly) free agents before the salary cap is lifted, could be explained ... - As the Packers do not have access to the "same funds" as other franchises have, and have to secure their company via other means ... Because as a public company the organisation has other responsibilities than your average NFL Franchise ...

I'm not saying that this is why, however, it does put the situation into a perspective ... - And could be another reason (not the sole reason) that the Board (Executive Board) are "meddling" more than they perhaps should with football operations ...
GREAT post... Hadn't thought about that. But still, it doesn't explain why we're paying starters money to Grant, Poppinga, Hawk...

Incompetence is incompetence.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
GREAT post... Hadn't thought about that. But still, it doesn't explain why we're paying starters money to Grant, Poppinga, Hawk...

Incompetence is incompetence.

Look at their contracts ... - While I certainly have no 100% proof of my postulation ... From a business perspective, considering the Packers organisation and responsibilities as a public company, it makes sense ...

Signing the above players to (relative) short term contracts, that will actually expire not long after the Salary Cap is lifted ... could be why, since it was only a few, where as most other franchises who are wanting success in the short run, seem to have spent a whole deal more ...

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that it is time to realize that this team just isn't that good regardless of who is coaching them. You've got a dreadful OLine, a mediocre at best running attack, a QB you can put up big, arguably empty, numbers but can't play from behind to save his life (plus his inadequacies like holding onto the ball to long play right into the team's biggest weakness in pass protection).

On defense the front 7 has two [good] guys that fit well in the scheme with Matthews and Raji but the jury is still out on what kind of players they will become. Then you've got a solid saftey in Collins with no depth behind him. Then there are two solid but aging corners with no depth behind them. Finally, the special teams are well below average.

Add it all together and you've got a team that is average at best that is 4-4 with a pretty weak schedule having beat 4 bottom feeders, lost to one bottom feeder, and lost to the three teams they've played that are actually worth a damn.

It's natural for fans to overrate the talent on their teams' rosters but wake up, guys.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, you can sit back and say "well all we have to do is this and this and this and this and we're contenders again." But the thing is that all but the most dysfunctional teams in the league can say that! With the disparity in the league nowadays every team just has to had a couple of more pieces to be contenders, or at least their fans think so. Of course, the difference between those fans' teams and the Packers is that most teams are more active in getting those pieces than TT is. But that is another story.

Members online

Latest posts