Moving and Shaking....perhaps my final mock...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like to discuss trades, but lately I've tried to not really force them into mock drafts. However, in what may just be my final mock I wanted to attempt to do what an aggressive minded Gute could and has done and even has eluded to desiring to do - use picks as equity and move around. Truthfully, three trades in one draft is not likely....but I would bet we see two rather than one if you told me we would be involved in minimum of one trade.

Either way lets live in a world that might see Gute wheel and deal with so much draft capital.

Day 1 isn't even a 1/3 of the way to being done and all of us still getting settled with our food and beverage of choice hear that a trade has occurred. "The Denver Broncos have traded the 12th pick of the NFL draft to the Green Bay Packers. Green Bay is now on the clock." Folks start screaming we are drafting a wide receiver....in their ignorant ways lol :) (I kid I kid...kinda).

1.12 - Quinyon Mitchell CB - Toledo
In all reality Q checks every box a corner back can. Prolific athletic profile...sub 4.35 forty...nearly a 1.5 10 yard split...38 inch vertical...9.75u RAS. Breaks the physical measurable thresholds GB seems to have breaking 6 foot and 190 pounds. EXCELS in press man situations. His hips and footwork alone make him a draftable prospect even if he ran a 4.6 honestly....but he has the speed, agility and ball skills to go right along with it. Gute and staff hopes Stokes is what he once was...but nothing is guaranteed. Carrington Valentine showed a lot of promise and grit, but he still was a late round pick with a TON of upside that no one can know if will be met or not. Not to mention the just oddity that is Jaire and that whole thing....Quinyon instantly fortifies a premium position on a team which wants to go press man far more than we ever have...and you now have two VERY high level press man boundary corners before you even get to Stokes and Valentine (who also loves that style).

It's a massive swing up costing us three top 100 picks to get that 12th overall...and the trade is our 1.25 / 2.58 / 3.91 for 1.12 / 5.145 .... this is a logical approach for the Broncos if they've missed out on a QB coming to them or they being unable to move up. They're a team needing to rebuild and the draft capital is too much to turn down.

2.41 GUTE now trades back. Safety class isn't strong...LB group is similar is likely the motivation to do so but Rams call and offer quite the return to move up eleven positions we pick up 2.52 / 5.154 / 5.155...some will argue this is skewed Rams benefit way but Gute sees this as a load up move and not at a big cost of prospect loss looking at his board.

2.52 Junior Colson LB - Michigan
Colson to me is best fit LB2...despite me having Cooper as LB2. I say that because Cooper to me is a Quay type guy and we don't need two versions of the same player. I want an off ball that I see has the captain of our defense, is not just a fly with hair unfire type but a guy that can diagnose on the fly and attack with his decisions with precision. He fits the athletic profile GB typically looks to and has excelled at Michigan ever since becoming a fulltime starter. Excellent arm reach and strength makes even arm tackles a thing he does at times even when he isn't in the perfect position - and once he touches a ball carrier it is VERY VERY RARE it results in a missed tackle. Excellent communicator is something you hear coaches, teammates say all the time and film illustrates this as well.

Gute isn't done....exhaustive draft for sure...but Gute sees a prospect that has mixed consensus opinions on...some have argued he may go quick on day 2, while others say he's a backend of third round.....either why it is announced that Gute is trading 3.88 / 5.145 / 6.219 for Raiders 3.77...was a package he started offering teams picks earlier but Raiders were finally one to accept.

3.77 Cole Bishop S - Utah
Such an intensely diverse safety prospect that you almost cannot identify what his best position is, but just that he is a HIGH IQ, HIGH ATHLETIC PROFILE that you are betting on will be a solid addition to any defense. In his past three years look at his alignments.... 121 snaps along the DLine / 428 Slot / 69 outside corner / 708 Box / 400 Deep. We are talking about a 6'2' 206lb young man that ran a outside boundary corner 40 (4.45) and 10 yard split (1.53) with being one inch shy of a 40 inch vertical and a broad over 10! He profiles as a guy with the traits you can slide him into single high sometimes, you can roll him down into the slot or as a small package LB even if needed. His offerings are plentiful.....and how I'd describe him in a way some Packer fans may relate....I think he is a more athletic version of Micah Hyde with a little more grit to his run defense (Hyde wasn't bad though).

4.126 Will Shipley RB - Clemson
A forgotten running back for some, Shipley is a better athlete, better outside the tackles runner and better receiving back than anyone seems to realize or remember. Most consensus boards have him going in the fourth...so the fact he is there and GB is rumored to have absolutely been enamored with him it only makes sense the first offensive player taken is one to pair with Jacobs and Dillon....with the chance he is that Jones almost role type. Will is a perennial 1,000 yard all purpose type back IMO if he gets the typical amount of snaps a RB2 might...but he won't be asked to do all that right out the gate with Dillon also in the backfield and knowledgeable of the system. The ability to bring a potent back like Shipley in and not have to rush him could pay MASSIVE dividends in 2025 and further.

Gute isn't done...a Day 3 shuffle sends 5.154 / 6.202 from us to Washington who gives us 5.139

5.139 Javon Foster OT Missouri
Foster has been one of my 4th-5th round prospects since before the college season ended. Amassing over 2700 snaps at left tackle the last three years in the toughest conference in college football (SEC) and putting up impressive winning reps against some of the best pass rushers out there Foster to me has proven he could very well be an NFL tackle prospect..and I think his footwork is solid enough to transition over to RT if needed....but I foresee potentially him being yet another tackle to HIGH level guard for Green Bay. An athletic profile very similar to Baktiari (6.31 RAS), Foster at a 6.26 does have some measurables that like Bakh aid in his ability to mirror and eliminate rushers...his arms and his hands. His arms are 34.625 and his hands are 9.625...for reference Bakh is 34 and 9.5......however if you slide him inside to a guard position his RAS quickly elevates to 7.85. Foster immediately AT WORST becomes either your best backup/swing tackle on the roster...or at best is starting above Walker at LT or Rhyan at RG by some point in the season - I strongly think he is that type of prospect.

5.155 Jaheim Bell TE FSU
Dantes and I have shouted a lot about how Ben Sinnott would be the PERFECT H Back TE for this system and to replace Deguara....but in all likelihood that man could squeeze his way into the third round. Bell is IMO possibly the next best fit. If Sinnott is a 10 out of 10 for what you want in an H Back candidate, Bell is a 8.9 or so. Productive through the air, can be split out or kept in line or operate out of the backfield and a blocker (quite capable one already) Bell is everything you look for in that TE type we simply don't have on the roster anymore....which until this last year is a position that MLF really likes to utilize.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

5.169 Jalen Sundell OT North Dakota State
I found it a little ironic that no one seemed to know this guy. Starting center experience in 2022 and 2021...before a full season starting at LT for Bison - Sundell has Green Bay type written all over him. While Foster I said is capable of playing all four positions, Sundell is a guy that the argument could be made he could play all 5 but I see him as the entire iOL (three positions) with OT being possible but likely only in reserve. As an OT his RAS is 8.63 - clearing GB traditional hurdles although have shorter arms at 33.125 which is why I see high level guard and/or the answer at center post Myers years. If Sundell came to GB, where we focus his practice snaps at would be VERY interesting and I think might end up saying more about the guys in front of him than persay what they think of Jalen. Loss of Runyan and Nijman...pick up Foster and Sundell - not a true full replacement but the potential for it to be that or even an improvement is for sure there.

7.245 Jontrey Hunter LB Georgia State
His testing at the Georgia State pro day have never been made public yet from what I can locate...but Hunter seems from his film to have a grit and desire to hit people you like to see to go along with his 6'1' 240lb frame. Not an overly athletic backer type that is going to cover fleet footed TEs at the next level up close, but being a HIGH level safety prospect coming out of high school - he has the coverage IQ to still boast that one of his best qualities is his coverage abilities. Zone calls is where he will excel and has the eyes and head to read, diagnose and proactively fill soft places in the coverage that might otherwise get attacked. At worst I feel you are getting a solid ST guy of the present with an outside shot of being a first man in depth guy by the end of his rookie contract.

7.255 Kedon Slovis QB BYU
Yup....BYU prospect all over again. Slovis is OOOBER athletic, capable arm who just hasn't put it altogether. Early on in his USC days, many were wondering if he was a future Day1 prospect, but he never could reproduce that freshman year magic he had. With just how big and fast he is, I'm shocked no one (USC or BYU) used his legs more honestly....but guys his forty is faster than Musgrave. Again you aren't getting however a polished prospect this late...but you look to traits and athleticism and hope the rest can come together. Worst case he pushes but doesn't even get QB3 for us...best case he upgrades our backup QB room even if it is merely pushing Clifford and improving him along the way.

In review - 11 picks to start with, ended with 9. While heavy in top draft capital spent on defense, the breakdown actually goes 5 offensive and 4 defensive. Strong likelihood IMO that four of these guys would be #1 at their respective positions; Quinyon outside corner / Colson one of the off ball / Bishop S / Bell as H Back....Foster and Shipley strong likelihood of pushing and/or getting a good number of snaps too.

1.12 - Quinyon Mitchell CB - Toledo
2.52 Junior Colson LB - Michigan
3.77 Cole Bishop S - Utah
4.126 Will Shipley RB - Clemson
5.139 Javon Foster OT Missouri
5.155 Jaheim Bell TE FSU
5.169 Jalen Sundell OT North Dakota State
7.245 Jontrey Hunter LB Georgia State
7.255 Kedon Slovis QB BYU

Members online

Latest posts