Week 1 Packers @ Saints (game thread)

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the other thread seems to be mostly about the venue change, I figured this thread would be about the actual game and its matchups. And why not? One week from today, NFL kicks off and in 10 days this game.

Interesting notes about who we're facing:

Jameis Winston will start at QB for them

Michael Thomas will once again be absent

And our old favorite guy Ty Montgomery has moved back to WR as Sean Payton thumbs his nose at Mike McCarthy in doing so.

Matchup wise,

Obviously I'll take our QB over theirs, RBs are about even with maybe a slight edge to us with Hill, TEs us not even close, and WRs with us a bit deeper in that group

defensive line wise they still have Cam Jordan and we may not have Z Smith for this one. Gary and P Smith still here but ... ehh might have to give them a slight edge

LB wise they're very young there, and I think our ILBs this year are going to be !much improved over previous seasons, so advantage us. And then DBs, close but I think slight advantage us so long as Yiadom isn't out there.

I think this game may be close heading into the 4th quarter, but then I think we pull away enough to hold it being that I would bet they don't win the turnover battle with Winston as their QB. Think he'll throw at least one pick our way late there.

34-20 Pack

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My big concern is the Packers O-Line, particulary the interior. Rookies at RG and C. Lucas Patrick is better at RG than LG. I recall when he played LG against Carolina last year and gave up 2 sacks to a rookie. It may take at least a couple of games for this group to jell.

Reaction score
Playing in Florida cuts any homefield advantage in half.
Winston has thrown 88 INT in what amounts to about 5 seasons. 2019 Winston threw 33-30 ratio, but 5100 yards. He’s not afraid to put it out there, but he’s a risk taker.
Winstons career record: 28-42 win-loss.

Rodgers career record: 126-63

Now I’m not saying get complacent. Winston also has the luxury of playing alongside a top 1/3 Defense, which he rarely had in his former life in Tampa. But our Offense should put up 30 ish and theirs should put up 20 ish

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect Lattimore is put on Adams, but we have so many other options to work with that that should be easily dealt with. I think Tonyan has a big game, Cobb comes out anxious to prove he's still got it, and AJ Dillon powers through for some big first downs.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree about utilizing TEs. When you have inexperienced linebackers, you take advantage of them with TEs and slot receivers crossing the middle. I hope that their LBs look as confused as Kamal Martin did against the Jets.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's how I see it:

GB offense Vs. NO defense

The Saints have become something of a "stars and scrubs" defense. Cam Jordan, Demario Davis, Marshon Lattimore, Marcus Williams, and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson are all fine players. However, they're also starting guys like Shy Tuttle (DT), Malcolm Roach (DT), Kwon Alexander (LB), Ken Crawley (CB), and an aging Malcolm Jenkins (S).

LaFleur is the most underrated offensive mind in the game and one of the best game-planners and play-designers around anywhere. I have full confidence that he will take advantage of the weak interior in the running game, and will create opportunities to exploit the liabilities in the Saints' secondary. I could see Dillon featuring heavily in this one. I'd also add that while Lattimore may erase some WR1's, Adams is fully capable of eating his lunch.

The major concern for most when it comes to the GB offense is the offensive line, starting two rookies and a couple guys out of position. But the Saints don't have the horses inside to take advantage. Jenkins might be better equipped than most full-time tackles to deal with Cam Jordan's power rushing game. The main concern I see is if the offense lands in obvious passing situations, what Davenport might be able to do coming off the edge (he's the only guy on the entire defense that isn't easily identifiable as a star or a liability).

Overall, I think the Packers move the ball effectively most of the day and take advantage of their plus matchups. 30 points would not surprise in the least.

NO offense Vs. GB defense

If the Saints' defense is "stars and scrubs," the offensive might be closer to "star (singular) and scrubs." That's unfair to their still excellent offensive line, but the point is that beyond the line they have Kamara and...? Winston is going to be throwing to Marquez Callaway, Trequan Smith, Deonte Haris, Lil'Jordan Humphrey, and Nick Vannett.

I can envision Kamara getting his for sure, because the line is so good. And I can see Winston completing a lot of passes too (again, behind excellent protection). But in the end, I don't see near the dynamism to actually keep up. Jaire will take away whoever they want him to take away, and the two-high shell will keep the action in front, and the Packers will make them run the ball or win in the short game.

If and when GB builds a lead, things could get ugly.

Bottom Line

I think New Orleans is heading for a sub .500 season, and it starts in Jacksonville (weird thing to type).

34-20 Packers

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, these 10 days can't end soon enough. Obviously my over optimism could turn into overconfidence if not careful, but I just can't help but feel that Rodgers and the rest of the team are on a mission because they know they had the opportunity to and should have made it to the Superbowl last year. Ya just can't help but feel he's going to be using bulletin board material as motivation, and has everything to prove.

Bout the only things I'd might get in our way is if the OL ends up being a big problem without Bakh, or if Barry and/or Drayton end up ******** stuff up. But talent wise we can beat anyone.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know what to expect out of the defense and special teams. There must be fire on the inside. Very hard to predict but from what I am guessing Gary may go off this year, Just a hunch.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know what to expect out of the defense and special teams. There must be fire on the inside. Very hard to predict but from what I am guessing Gary may go off this year, Just a hunch.

He'll need to step it up in this one, possibly in Z's absence. I am eager to see how this new Barry defense looks for the first outing and hopefully see a bit of aggressiveness that we didn't always see from Pettine. At least hopefully no more of that silly prevent garbage.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints picked Jacksonville because of the humidity. AR has a terrible record in hot, humid games. They also picked it because it is expensive and hope to not have as many Packers fans there. Lol..if that is your strategy..ok. Packers fans will still travel well!!

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, hopefully we get better luck week 1 than the Badgers. Too many of those turnovers spoiled their chances. But at least they went for it on 4th and goal from the 8 instead of pulling a LaFleur.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the other thread seems to be mostly about the venue change, I figured this thread would be about the actual game and its matchups. And why not? One week from today, NFL kicks off and in 10 days this game.

Interesting notes about who we're facing:

Jameis Winston will start at QB for them

Michael Thomas will once again be absent

And our old favorite guy Ty Montgomery has moved back to WR as Sean Payton thumbs his nose at Mike McCarthy in doing so.

Matchup wise,

Obviously I'll take our QB over theirs, RBs are about even with maybe a slight edge to us with Hill, TEs us not even close, and WRs with us a bit deeper in that group

defensive line wise they still have Cam Jordan and we may not have Z Smith for this one. Gary and P Smith still here but ... ehh might have to give them a slight edge

LB wise they're very young there, and I think our ILBs this year are going to be !much improved over previous seasons, so advantage us. And then DBs, close but I think slight advantage us so long as Yiadom isn't out there.

I think this game may be close heading into the 4th quarter, but then I think we pull away enough to hold it being that I would bet they don't win the turnover battle with Winston as their QB. Think he'll throw at least one pick our way late there.

34-20 Pack
Good assessment. Until last year I do not think we beat the Saints down there since 1993. Good not to have exactly that crowd. I fear Kamara. No Drew Brees. Sean Payton is a good game planner when he gets two weeks. 1st game can be unpredictable. Guys are rusty on both sides. Treat the game like you would in Week 15 or 16.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't think that'll be too much a problem. Our guys came out roaring last year with no preseason and abnormal training camp, no reason they shouldn't this year.

And I'm not feeling all that worried about the OL. I mean, it does matter but I think part of it is because we don't have to be overly reliant on the passing game. Jones and Dillon paired together have the mix of speed and power that can wear down a defensive front, and our run game even heading towards a 100 yard day gives Rodgers a lot of play action options that can get the defense crashing down on the run and allowing him to get easy open completions. Big contrast from the latter days of MM.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting David B. back for the final 8 games will help. Would have wished they stuck us with the tougher D lines then.

Reaction score
Well, hopefully we get better luck week 1 than the Badgers. Too many of those turnovers spoiled their chances.
That was a terrible start for the Badgers, and it was a home game too.
Maybe the students should rehearse their jump-around more. LOL

There's 3 NFL teams in Florida, and the Packers are not playing any of them this year.
So I couldn't pass up a trip to Jacksonville to see them play the Saints on Sunday.

Any Packers fans coming down, bring some good Wisconsin age cheddar cheese,
something I miss since moving to Florida 5 yrs. ago.

Go Packers

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6 more days and we start down the road to LA.

Optimism running over, but hope it's not going to be reverse psychology of these last two years when I came into the season with a bit less expectations.

Well I'd say in all my years of being a Packer fan I'd only point to 3 years where expectations were so high that the bad season got me so extremely disappointed to a point of driving rage - not counting of course when Rodgers was out with injury as that changes everything.

1999 was probably the first disappointing one because while I had my doubts on Ray Rhodes, just really thought the guys we drafted that year were going to bolster the current core group Wolf had put together over the years.

2004 goes down as the biggest cluster**** of a season I have ever seen. That big old liar Mike Sherman was promising us a new and improved defense, and hell even I bought it at first. Week 1 against the Panthers it actually did look like we were going to have a great team, and then ... **** ... It just disappeared into that hot :poop::poop::poop: we saw the rest of the way. Heads needed to roll immediately after that.

Then probably 2015, which was a little better than the previous two since we almost made the NFC championship game again. But still, after starting 6-0 you'd never have thought we'd have finished off 4-6 with a bad offense. And I don't accept Jordy's injury as an excuse because this current group has won games without Adams.

Anyway, with this current team, I think only a rash of injuries would slow them down, and it would take a lot with our current depth.

Reaction score
I think the most noticeable but largest factor is we get to play NO at a neutral site WITHOUT Drew Brees. He was a very consistent QB though the years and near impossible to beat at NO.

This road game in FL is a gift from above. We need to take advantage of it starting 1-0. None of this starting 1-2 stuff of the past.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the most noticeable but largest factor is we get to play NO at a neutral site WITHOUT Drew Brees. He was a very consistent QB though the years and near impossible to beat at NO.

This road game in FL is a gift from above. We need to take advantage of it starting 1-0. None of this starting 1-2 stuff of the past.
Yes. We do. Just like getting the Chiefs in 2019 with no Mahommes.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This two week wait is much worse than a bye week. At least with typical bye week, we've watched a bunch of regular season games and don't mind a break by then.

The pause prior to Week 1 is a blue ball move by the NFL.

Members online

Latest posts