Mike McCarthy 1-year extension

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect anything more to be done until a new GM is named. No DC worth a salt is going to take a job where he thinks the headcoach is gone after a year or less. They're going to want to see the stability and feel pretty good they have at least 2 seasons to work in. A coordinator won't even get in half their playbook in a season, it usually takes 2-3 seasons to fully implement a defense.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He actually has 2 more years.
He does have 2 more years, but the 1 year extension says "You're on the hot seat. The new GM will either further extend you if you prove yourself in 2018, or he will cut ties and search for your replacement if he doesn't feel you will be a long term asset".

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really have a problem with McCarthy. What I don't like is how he gets in these ruts sometimes in calling plays and for sometimes games at a time...our receivers can't get open. And I blame that on playcalling, scheme and inability or refusal to adjust. So I like the idea of (sorry, don't remember who) that said to get a young innovative OC who could maybe work alongside McCarthy and change it up some when necessary. And I would like a short, speedy, quick slot receiver with great hands in the 3rd or 4th round. ;)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We win, all is good and everyone is a pro bowler. We lose - fire them all. Usually in consecutive weeks. That is what fans do, overdo it.
The immature fans overdo it. The road to good seasons and championships is a long winding hilly road. It’s very important to have mature adults in charge at 1265 Lombardi who don’t pay any attention to the mindless noise of outsiders.

Gonepackin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So it’s Van Pelt, Bennett, Capers, and Thompson’s fault, but not Mike’s?! This is a house cleaning, yet Mike takes zero responsibility. Unbelievable. Never seen this.

Reaction score
Im just fine with MM.
I’m still just elated that we made the moves we did. I was sorta neutral on TT but I’d much rather see both go than neither.
I don’t know about you guys but I’ve got a renewed sense of excitement again that I haven’t had for a long time. I’m impressed with the Packer organization for making some tough decisions and I take back half of all the bad stuff I’ve said about these guys behind their backs. :laugh:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Childish? It’s hilarious and childish that people ignore Mike’s failures. It’s okay to be on the fire TT and DC bandwagon, but not MM? So the guy up and down are responsible, but not the guy in the middle? Literally a six game win streak in 2010-2011 is the real only thing the man has done. Also his talent senses? He helped SF go with

This is a house cleaning, yet Mike takes zero responsibility. Unbelievable. Never seen this.
Huh?

Ted is this you? I know the wheels maybe slipping a bit but this is completely nonsensical.

My bet, this poster is capers, Bennet and van pelt at leatherheads at a table with a built-in tap which is running freely.

Gonepackin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Huh?

Ted is this you? I know the wheels maybe slipping a bit but this is completely nonsensical.

My bet, this poster is capers, Bennet and van pelt at leatherheads at a table with a built-in tap which is running freely.
So you agree it’s literally everyone’s fault, except with McCarthy. Put down the tenth serving at the buffet, McDoughnuts.

We literally have gotten rid of almost every coordinator and position coach. That means everything was a problem. Yet some how the head coaching wasn’t?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So it’s Van Pelt, Bennett, Capers, and Thompson’s fault, but not Mike’s?! This is a house cleaning, yet Mike takes zero responsibility. Unbelievable. Never seen this.

We don't know that. He could lose play-calling. He could have been forced to fire staff. This is obviously a warning call to McCarthy

Gonepackin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't know that. He could lose play-calling. He could have been forced to fire staff. This is obviously a warning call to McCarthy

Hey, Mike, here’s your punishment for having a messed up Offense, Defense, quarterbacks, linemen, and secondary...you get an extension, they are fired!! A few more million to eat Golden Corral!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy has you guys fooled smh this guy walks into a situation where the team already has NOT 1...but TWO first ballot Hall of fame QB’s already on the roster. You mean to tell me that 1 SB APPEARANCE is all you can squeeze out of that up to this point? As much as we have complained about the defense who’s the guy responsible for the hiring and firing of his staff? The HC is.
I’m almost positive that Jeff Fisher, Marvin Lewis, Hugh Jackson, Chuck Pogano, Or whoever could come to Green Bay and have had the same type of success as MM has had as long as Rodgers was healthy...I’m almost positive a guy like Hugh Jackson or Chuck Pogano would’ve probably achieved more success as they are defensive guys and would have had the balls to fire Capers years ago.

Don’t let the greatness of #12 blind you to the point where you can’t see MM for what he really is...a decent coach who fell into a great situation. The same coach who’s well under 500 without his star QB, who struggles to adjust, who’s predictable, who’s stubborn in his approach, and who will literally go away from what’s working in game because he’s got a list of scripted plays he needs to run Haha.

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy has you guys fooled smh this guy walks into a situation where the team already has NOT 1...but TWO first ballot Hall of fame QB’s already on the roster. You mean to tell me that 1 SB APPEARANCE is all you can squeeze out of that up to this point? As much as we have complained about the defense who’s the guy responsible for the hiring and firing of his staff? The HC is.
I’m almost positive that Jeff Fisher, Marvin Lewis, Hugh Jackson, Chuck Pogano, Or whoever could come to Green Bay and have had the same type of success as MM has had as long as Rodgers was healthy...I’m almost positive a guy like Hugh Jackson or Chuck Pogano would’ve probably achieved more success as they are defensive guys and would have had the balls to fire Capers years ago.

Don’t let the greatness of #12 blind you to the point where you can’t see MM for what he really is...a decent coach who fell into a great situation. The same coach who’s well under 500 without his star QB, who struggles to adjust, who’s predictable, who’s stubborn in his approach, and who will literally go away from what’s working in game because he’s got a list of scripted plays he needs to run Haha.
At one point earlier in MM career and maybe shortly before, we were one of the, if not the, best teams at making adjustments at halftime. I used to literally brag how good we were at halftime adjustments. Then, around the time that Philbin left or shortly after, we became almost predictable (I’m not inferring it was all Joe). This is just a casual observation.. but we started getting very predictable. Run up the middle run up the middle pass punt. Run up the middle Run up the middle Pass punt. Run Run up the middle Pass punt. Hmmmm I wonder what Comes next?
I still think overall MM has done a decent, above average job. He salvaged several years that we had no business even making the Divisional since the 2010. 2014 was a 1 one Bostock away from another trophy.
I also believe him and Aaron are tight and jeopardizing that relationship may be sending the wrong signal. Starting from scratch with a entirely new staff OC, DC,GM,HC means backing up 2-3 years minimum. A new HC doesnt keep all the old staff, he brings in all his own people if he has half a brain (which any great coach will)
If that plan fails? It’s like you’ve just put ALL your chips in on a desperation bluff when you already got caught bluffing earlier that same night. Or it’s like you’re going from doing a refinance of your car loan because the rate was a little uncomfortable ...to outright trading your vehicle and taking a bath that’ll take even an 800 beacon years to get back into an equity position.
Taking a TO or throwing a challenge flag at an inappropriate time didn’t cost us a Championship, The Personnel Dept and Defense have been the Culprit through and through. It was a great move and the only thing that would’ve faired better in hindsight was doing this 2 years ago.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or maybe the head coach is doing his job... and looking for places to improve his team.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or maybe the head coach is doing his job... and looking for places to improve his team.

I actually don't disagree with you but after he had so few firings even when units weren't performing well I think there was some sort of direction from the top to move on.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, he does script is first 15 plays or so every game, very regimented. They also lead the entire league in first drive scoring without their 1st ballot HOF QB. So there's that. There's also that other game this year that everyone was *****ing about going away from the run, but ignore that Jones was out with a knee injury, Mays came in and had 2 fumbles in 3 touches and we were left with a single running back available for the game. Sounds like a recipe for a run heavy game plan to me to finish a game LOL

he took 1 st ballot HOF QB that was throwing 30 INT's instead of 30 TD's and held him accountable again and brought him back to MVP type seasons and the Rodgers we know today is far different than the Rodgers that walked into camp his rookie year. You mistake discipline for stubbornness. When you want to quit, cut bait and throw it all away, guys like MM put their heads down and work and lead the team to work. Guys like you are naive enough to think 1 guy is actually the team. MM certainly isn't perfect, but you're a fool if you think he's not good at what he does. Give BB a QB performing like Hundley and he isn't winning **** either. Quit acting like he would.

anyway, why changes now? why not? We were stacked to win in 14, we had pretty much the exact same roster made some tweaks to hopefully put us over the top in staff and in '15 and went thru the OC deal oline flux for 2/3's of the season, Losing Jordy, Adams and Cobb hurt all year etc. Defense was actually fairly decent for much of the year and kept us in games until the offense could figure it out. It seemed things were coming together again, why huge changes? then'16 and the defensive meltdowns, but looking at available players and how the injuries were piling up, i can see why they didn't make wholesale changes. Trust me, I've seen the deficiencies over the years and felt every breakdown like everyone else. failures exist from the last guy on the roster to the GM and everyone in between. But we were talking about guys that have had success with a lot of different players. Whatever you think of they coaches now, and it was time to move on, but Whitt didn't forget how to coach DB's. Dom didn't lose everything he knows about defense. They gave them another year without all the injuries to get it right. They didn't, they had the same issues again.

as for offense and the changes there. Bennett seems to have been a heck of a position coach, maybe those details and one on one is where he shines as a coach. Maybe he's not ready for the big picture game plan and delegate position of coaching. Our RB's were the best they looked when he was a RB coach and our WR's were the best they looked when he became a WR coach. The guy can clearly coach, but not all coaching is the same. I hope we keep him, I think he's a valuable guy to have.

One thing that has been constant in the past decade is how the Packers deal with everything. They aren't really forthcoming with details, the dirty stuff is kept in house, like it should be, but the always deal with people in professional ways. Players, coaches, doesn't matter. It seems they're always up front in their dealings with players and staff. I'm reading crazy stuff, not here necessarily, but all over and people just love to make up stories to fit their narrative. One day some hack is writing stories about a 40+member board directing Murphy to fire ted and all this other stuff to now, Murphy just wants to shut up fans, so he's "reorganizing" and Ted is still going to be in control and Ball is going to be the new GM and everyone is going to continue in their same roles. I have zero reason to believe that Ted isn't falling back into a scout role. I have zero reason to believe MM isn't the one making changes to his staff because he feels his staff needs changing. I hardly think a board of rich guys and car dealers in NE WIsconsin are pulling the strings behind all these moves. If they are, they need to be replaced. But they aren't so i'm not even entertaining that notion any further than I have.