Mike McCarthy 1-year extension

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I realize your a Vikings fan, so obviously handicapped mentally, but even taking that into consideration you have some odd interpretations. Saying they needed to have him better prepared for the situation they put him in, is hardly throwing him under the bus. If anything it's putting that bus directly on the staff's back
And who is responsible for the staff that failed to have him prepared? Oh, that would be the head coach. Has McCarthy taken the blame for anything this year? From the lack of a quality defense the last 7 years to not having a back up QB that can even run plays at half the rate of Rodgers...........what has McCarthy taken the blame for?

Nils Zippo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:tup:
knowledgeable football folks also know that THE board has less collective knowledge about football than this discussion board. And we're scraping the bottom of the barrel in here at times.
Since posting, I can now see what you mean...oh well. First time I posted anywhere since shouting for McCarthy's firing back in '13, but this whole farce of letting that "meathead" stay is "beyond the beyond..."

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And who is responsible for the staff that failed to have him prepared? Oh, that would be the head coach. Has McCarthy taken the blame for anything this year? From the lack of a quality defense the last 7 years to not having a back up QB that can even run plays at half the rate of Rodgers...........what has McCarthy taken the blame for?
I think when he says we didn't have him prepared he's taking it upon himself as well. As he usually does. What do you care for? and what do you want him to do? Fire himself? do you think he separates himself from the staff? but let's get back to the original comment. he didn't throw hundley under the bus, like you claimed.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe others watched a different press conference than I did. I saw MM taking responsibility for his mistakes. Do I think he's the greatest football coach of all time? No. I think that he is doing the best he can just like the other coaches. Did I think his coaching staff had gotten stale? Yes and apparently so did he. He talked about bringing in coaches outside the team looking for a different perspective. I don't have a problem with him interviewing a few of his own coaches. None of us knows what they might want to do differently.

As far as 'fit' goes. Of course he wants to fit with the new GM. He wants his ideas heard. He wants to work with the GM and let him know what he needs to help this team be successful. What does anyone expect him to say? Whoever the GM is, I'll do whatever he wants. No thank you. .

I see a coach who is learning from his mistakes. He tried changing things after 2014. Funny, when he focused on the defense it seemed to get better, but the offense began to struggle.

I am willing to see what happens moving forward and hope the Packers improve.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Maybe others watched a different press conference than I did. I saw MM taking responsibility for his mistakes. Do I think he's the greatest football coach of all time? No. I think that he is doing the best he can just like the other coaches. Did I think his coaching staff had gotten stale? Yes and apparently so did he. He talked about bringing in coaches outside the team looking for a different perspective. I don't have a problem with him interviewing a few of his own coaches. None of us knows what they might want to do differently.

As far as 'fit' goes. Of course he wants to fit with the new GM. He wants his ideas heard. He wants to work with the GM and let him know what he needs to help this team be successful. What does anyone expect him to say? Whoever the GM is, I'll do whatever he wants. No thank you. .

I see a coach who is learning from his mistakes. He tried changing things after 2014. Funny, when he focused on the defense it seemed to get better, but the offense began to struggle.

I am willing to see what happens moving forward and hope the Packers improve.

Again, I agree with you in principle on most of this.....but :D LOL

A HC is a HC, not a GM. So how much should MM be involved in deciding who his boss is? Things just seem to "chummy" over there right now and it really feels like there is a core group of guys who have gotten together and said "look we need to make some changes to appease the fans, but we are all good right?" I just don't think that is the best way to operate a business or a football team. Go after the best GM you can get. If he can work with MM, great. If he can't, than do you look for a lessor guy that can?

BTW, I am actually a MM fan. :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if you had a coach that has had zero success I think he obviously has less of a say. When you have a coach that has had a lot of success, he has an opinion that matters. and from what I took from the presser, MM basically said, a new GM can hire or fire whatever HC he wants. He'll have that power. Whoever they hire, it has to be a fit. To me, that's an obvious statement, or MM won't be the coach there. To me, that's just a a "duh" statement. If the new GM has the same vision as MM of course he's going to be the coach. If the new GM doesn't fit with MM, then MM isn't going to be the coach and they aren't going to be working together. I heard MM say, he has some input, like these are the types of people I like to work with, but outside of that, it is NOT his decision and he's not in on the interview processes or any of that.

I don't think that is out of the ordinary in any line of work. I might ask people under me in the whole structure of things what their opinion or thoughts are, but they aren't in on making the decision any further than that. When you have a good QB/HC combo, I think you first look to keep that together before you look at blowing it all up. Going in a completely new direction could pay off, but it's my opinion it goes the other way a lot faster. I think you have a HC that has built an offense around ourQB's strengths. I know everyone thinks AR is a god and infallible, but that isn't reality. Reality is, some defenses give him troubles, because he's not God and they don't play into his strengths. Like being able to use his perfect recall against every alignment and know where the weakness is presnap. It's probably not too far out of the realm of reality that if he was forced to use all new terminology that would be easy, learning new plays would be easy. running a new offense that isn't to his strengths might not be easy. it might take a season or 2 to implement it. now Rodgers is 2-3 years older and another change is going to be made. Will that be called wasting his career too?

I think every effort at this point should be in seeing if what we have can be built upon, not changing it all. I have no problems with MM having a voice. he's still not making the decision.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guessing they could still go outside the organization and find a GM and depending on the promise made to MM, that GM may decided to clean house. I doubt it though, MM really doesn't seem to be the problem and his only big strike in my book is not firing Capers a few years ago.

My money is either on Ball or Wolf to be announced within the next few days. I didn't realize Ball was even a potential candidate until I read this.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/02/russ-ball-may-have-inside-track-to-packers-g-m-gig/
McCarthy has got to go within the next two years either that or he has to get a good OC who knows how to call plays because I don't like it when McCarthy calls plays he has coached us out of the playoffs more than once with his horrible playcalling anybody remember when we have the lead calling 3 runs back to back up the middle? McCarthy has been too complacent for too long we need some new blood some aggressive blood. And he is inept he kept capers on 5 years too long that is a sin I cannot and will not overlook.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Curious what MM has done to make people feel he's been a great head coach. I mean, aside from having Favre and Rodgers at QB? The Super Bowl season was mainly done by a great defense. Other than that his offenses have been pretty bland, lack imagination, and he's terrible at altering gameplans in-game. He's been a decent coach but certainly nothing exceptional.
He can't make adjustments period I can't count the amount of times we've had the lead just to blow it because he runs 3 plays up the gut time and time again he plays not to lose and quite frankly it makes me sick we have exited the playoffs and lost big games because of his ineptitude and lack of imagination when playing from ahead. He has got to go I don't like his press conferences I don't like the fact year after year he expressed confidence in capers and I don't like the fact that he can't coach from behind. Rodgers engineers our comebacks not McCarthy and Rodgers covers up his many shortcomings as a head coach and a playcaller

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol gone packin.... why don't you find something you can actually disagree with instead of just acting childish because not everybody agrees with you.
And why are you trying to act all high and mighty he is entitled to his opinion and you call him childish yet you use lol and you are laughing at his name? The fact remains McDoughnuts has been incompetent and complacent and you cannot argue that so instead of acting like a donkey because someone has a different opinion from you why don't you try to actually respond to what he says if you are going to respond at all

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Others have addressed many of your points, but the last one in regards to the media? Give me a break. If McCarthy is rude to the media, what the heck would you call what Bill Belichick does? McCarthy for the most part is more than willing to answer most questions that are presented to him. Sometimes he can be off put-ish, but so can Aaron Rodgers. I guess we should get rid of him too.
Bill belichick wins BB can make adjustments I've seen BBs game plan and halftime adjustments absolutely confound the opposing team and its coaching staff to the point where they look like pop warner I've seen BB and TB coach and play their way to another ring after being down multiple touchdowns at halftime do you really believe McCarthy could have kept his cool and comeback against atlanta?? If course not he looked straight up outclassed and out coached in the NFC championship and straight up neutered and dumbfounded he couldn't call a decent play in that game to save his life

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bill belichick wins BB can make adjustments I've seen BBs game plan and halftime adjustments absolutely confound the opposing team and its coaching staff to the point where they look like pop warner I've seen BB and TB coach and play their way to another ring after being down multiple touchdowns at halftime do you really believe McCarthy could have kept his cool and comeback against atlanta?? If course not he looked straight up outclassed and out coached in the NFC championship and straight up neutered and dumbfounded he couldn't call a decent play in that game to save his life

If you really think the blame for the loss to Atlanta in the NFCCG should be placed solely on MM, then your obvious disdain for the guy has clouded your cognitive abilities to actually think rationally about things. I get it, you don't like McCarthy, you twist it into just about every post you can and red X every post that has anything remotely positive about the guy. But if you want people or at least me to respect your opinion, try to give it without muddying it up with your obvious hatred for MM.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And why are you trying to act all high and mighty he is entitled to his opinion and you call him childish yet you use lol and you are laughing at his name? The fact remains McDoughnuts has been incompetent and complacent and you cannot argue that so instead of acting like a donkey because someone has a different opinion from you why don't you try to actually respond to what he says if you are going to respond at all
Lol try catching up because you obviously have no idea what the conversation was even about .. your statement has nothing to do with the issue we were dealing with .. and it has been settled days ago. And had nothing to do with You... the Green Bay Packers .... or anything else you want to talk about.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you really think the blame for the loss to Atlanta in the NFCCG should be placed solely on MM, then your obvious disdain for the guy has clouded your cognitive abilities to actually think rationally about things. I get it, you don't like McCarthy, you twist it into just about every post you can and red X every post that has anything remotely positive about the guy. But if you want people or at least me to respect your opinion, try to give it without muddying it up with your obvious hatred for MM.
Dude you talk about cognitive abilities why don't you check yours and your eyes while you are at it it's MM job to get his team ready for the upcoming game hence the title of head coach we already knew our defense was going to be bad our strength has always been out offense but as you and everybody else saw Atlanta shut us down plain and simple and McCarthy had no answer to Atlanta's defensive scheme we were running simple and predictable plays and our running game is telegraphed from a mile away and every time the camera showed McCarthys face he straight up looked flummoxed and dazed and confused. And not just that game remember Seattle how he blew that lead? Run up the middle run up the middle pass and then punt rinse and repeat it should have never had gotten to the point of the fail Mary. So you can sit here and defend him all you want and try to sound like you know what you are talking about but instead of acting like a pompous donkeys rear end why don't you actually disputed my points. And as for respecting my opinions I could care less I here like everybody else giving my opinion.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol try catching up because you obviously have no idea what the conversation was even about .. your statement has nothing to do with the issue we were dealing with .. and it has been settled days ago. And had nothing to do with You... the Green Bay Packers .... or anything else you want to talk about.
Who cares is it was settled a few days ago i just came across it now and I do believe I was responding to what you said so I fail to see how what I said doesn't have anything to do with the conversation at hand especially seeing how it was a response to you and what you said in response to that guy. But I could have easily said that to you what was the point in calling him childish to begin with?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares is it was settled a few days ago i just came across it now and I do believe I was responding to what you said so I fail to see how what I said doesn't have anything to do with the conversation at hand especially seeing how it was a response to you and what you said in response to that guy. But I could have easily said that to you what was the point in calling him childish to begin with?
You are proving Pokerbrat right when he spoke about your cognitive abilities. And no you are incorrect when you said you "believe" you knew what was being discussed because as I said before.. it had nothing to do with the Packers.. McCarthy or anything else you seem to think. I am now placing you on ignore.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
What does any of that have to do with what I said regarding McCarthy and how he addressed the media?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Dude you talk about cognitive abilities why don't you check yours and your eyes while you are at it it's MM job to get his team ready for the upcoming game hence the title of head coach we already knew our defense was going to be bad our strength has always been out offense but as you and everybody else saw Atlanta shut us down plain and simple and McCarthy had no answer to Atlanta's defensive scheme we were running simple and predictable plays and our running game is telegraphed from a mile away and every time the camera showed McCarthys face he straight up looked flummoxed and dazed and confused.

Sorry "Dude", that is THE longest run on sentence I have ever tried to read. By the time I got to the end of it all I could think of was.....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does any of that have to do with what I said regarding McCarthy and how he addressed the media?
McCarthy rarely ever takes responsibility and he says the most generic things and dances around the real issues it would be refreshing to hear him say I got out coached it was on me

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy rarely ever takes responsibility and he says the most generic things and dances around the real issues it would be refreshing to hear him say I got out coached it was on me
You don't pay attention do you? He's stood up there and put it on himself plenty of times in the past. you just like to ***** and make stuff up to do it.

From just this past season after the Saints game. Did you miss that one? there are plenty of other examples, but I'm guessing they wouldn't matter to you either.
On our passing game, we can sit here and pick it apart all you want,” McCarthy told reporters in his post-game press conference. “Let's just blame it on the head coach today.”

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Again, that has absolutely nothing to do with the point that I made in response to another poster that claimed McCarthy is routinely rude to the media and that he doesn't represent the organization well. All that I said was that McCarthy for the most part is more than willing to answer whatever question is presented to him. Your claim that he "dances" around questions has nothing to do with whether or not he is rude to the media.

Next time you wanna try jumping in the ring with me, at least try coming at me with something relevant to the discussion. :tup:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts