Mike McCarthy 1-year extension

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Its only a 1 year extension, I don't think it will get renewed another time if a similar season to this one happens again.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't you hire the GM first? I suspect the new GM is chosen internal candidate and agreed to give MM a year to correct things. Extension will allow them to sign a DC. Suspect he is outside the org and wants a 2 year assurance.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Personally, I think MM is the strongest link, along with Campen in the Packers brass. Not sure how long Campen is under contract, but I would give the man a raise with what he did this year and previous years.

Extending MM out another year might prove to be very beneficial in attracting a top DC candidate as well.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Wouldn't you hire the GM first? I suspect the new GM is chosen internal candidate and agreed to give MM a year to correct things. Extension will allow them to sign a DC. Suspect he is outside the org and wants a 2 year assurance.
Maybe TT is still pulling strings?

OP
OP
C-Lee

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This actually happened during the season. Just being reported now

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Guessing they could still go outside the organization and find a GM and depending on the promise made to MM, that GM may decided to clean house. I doubt it though, MM really doesn't seem to be the problem and his only big strike in my book is not firing Capers a few years ago.

My money is either on Ball or Wolf to be announced within the next few days. I didn't realize Ball was even a potential candidate until I read this.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/02/russ-ball-may-have-inside-track-to-packers-g-m-gig/

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe TT is still pulling strings?
Doubtful. Not when it's becoming someone else's responsibility. Nobody would take the GM job and have all that responsibility when you don't have the authority to call the shots. If my job/career/legacy is on the line, I want it to be my decision or I'm not going.

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I only one seeing this as a “1 year to prove it” deal?..... I like it as I didn’t want him gone as well

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
This would be a moot point if a new GM comes in and MM fails next season. If Rodgers gets hurt again his *** is grass.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Am I only one seeing this as a “1 year to prove it” deal?..... I like it as I didn’t want him gone as well

Actually, it's a "here is an additional year to prove it deal". I don't think a lot of people are really that upset at MM. Sure he didn't fire Capers soon enough, but besides the few that are just going to call MM conservative no matter what he does, he is a competent head coach with a well established solid relationship with the #1 piece in Green Bay, Aaron Rodgers.

I view the "extra year" as a safer way to tell an incoming DC that "we are behind MM" but a backdoor way of not having to be too fully behind him if the sh*t hits the fan in the next year or two.

smacker

Smacker = Smack talking Packer Fan
Reaction score
Its only a 1 year extension, I don't think it will get renewed another time if a similar season to this one happens again.

I don't know how long MM has to turn things around (1 maybe 2 years and the most?), but I am guessing his leash just got a lot shorter and his hanging rope a lot longer. He now has enough rope to hang himself.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as some dunderheads don't like it, I actually do like this move. Assuming we can turn the draft back to getting offense picks and have a healthy Rodgers next season, I do believe MM will get this team back to the playoffs. And IMO just 2 losing seasons in a tenure that's been mostly marked with making the playoffs, the NFCCG and a SB win should not get you fired. I often wish the bozos who praise Sean Payton (who has more losing seasons than MM with an elite QB) would get that in their head.

Now I will say my one beef with MM is that he hasn't kicked Hundley off the team for stinking things up. But aside from that ... he's better than people think.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, it's a "here is an additional year to prove it deal". I don't think a lot of people are really that upset at MM. Sure he didn't fire Capers soon enough, but besides the few that are just going to call MM conservative no matter what he does, he is a competent head coach with a well established solid relationship with the #1 piece in Green Bay, Aaron Rodgers.

I view the "extra year" as a safer way to tell an incoming DC that "we are behind MM" but a backdoor way of not having to be too fully behind him if the sh*t hits the fan in the next year or two.

Curious what MM has done to make people feel he's been a great head coach. I mean, aside from having Favre and Rodgers at QB? The Super Bowl season was mainly done by a great defense. Other than that his offenses have been pretty bland, lack imagination, and he's terrible at altering gameplans in-game. He's been a decent coach but certainly nothing exceptional.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fine. Don't think he's a great coach but will be the first to admit you could do A LOT worse. Without knowing who your guy is going to be if you let him go, think you gotta hang onto him. Will be on the hot seat though next season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the guy but I don't trust him. Just curious with no GM, who gave him the extension?
Well it's been said in here already .... the extension actually happened earlier in the year... and is only now being reported.

As far as the no GM thing ... that is incorrect as well. Thompson is still GM technically. He will remain in the position until a replacement has been chosen. That being said, it's not like he is the only person in the personel department.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Curious what MM has done to make people feel he's been a great head coach. I mean, aside from having Favre and Rodgers at QB? The Super Bowl season was mainly done by a great defense. Other than that his offenses have been pretty bland, lack imagination, and he's terrible at altering gameplans in-game. He's been a decent coach but certainly nothing exceptional.

I would agree with that last statement. As well as having Favre for a few years and Rodgers at QB has made his offenses much better than they could have been. However, just like Wolf/Holmgren with Favre and Thompson/McCarthy with Rodgers, you do have to credit MM for knowing how to help develop AR. I'm not saying Rodgers would have flopped without MM, but he didn't and I would hope Rodgers would credit some of his success to MM as Favre did with Holmgren.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would agree with that last statement. As well as having Favre for a few years and Rodgers at QB has made his offenses much better than they could have been. However, just like Wolf/Holmgren with Favre and Thompson/McCarthy with Rodgers, you do have to credit MM for knowing how to help develop AR. I'm not saying Rodgers would have flopped without MM, but he didn't and I would hope Rodgers would credit some of his success to MM as Favre did with Holmgren.
Agreed. I would also point out that it is very important to have a coach that can not only work with but sometimes reign in a great QB. I don't think Aaron Rodgers would be as much of a loose canon as Favre became under Sherman, but there is no question that Rodgers has an element of arrogance to his personality that may need a strong coach to temper. Frankly, I think that arrogance is justified and most likely a strong element of his success (just as it it with any great player) but We all saw what can happen if it goes unchecked like it did when Holmgren left and Favre was allowed to run all over Sherman.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB wins very little with Favre playing like he did at the end of the Sherman era and Rodgers looked nothing like the the QB we know today when he got into the league. and still people want to give MM no credit. I wonder if people ever really even watch, and if they do, do they know what they're looking at?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts